Author Topic: Worlds first Teraflop mobile processor  (Read 1547 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Worlds first Teraflop mobile processor
« on: March 22, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »
The first Teraflop computer in the world was called Asci Red and was built in 1996.  It cost $46 million and used 1 Mega Watt to power and cool.  

Nvidia is releasing a cell phone processor shortly, called Tegra X1, that will have one teraflop of computing power and use less than five watts of power.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
Re: Worlds first Teraflop mobile processor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:05 PM »
The first one was a fraud. Mthis technology has been available since the 50s crash landing in Roswell.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:51:59 PM »
Fascinating isn't it? Very soon that computing power will be floating in our bloodstream, gathering all the data about various parameters of health and uploading it to a cloud, which will analyze it and suggest us some advices/guidelines if something goes wrong. (for ex. - if a concentration of tren in a blood serum falls below 100mg).

stuntmovie1

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
De VINCI, Interesting comment!

And you could be right, but I think that cell phones will be embedded within a tooth before technology gets into the bloodstream.

I have a long distance relative who is a professor involved with Quantum Mechanics and that cell phone tooth may be the next and newest thing you put in your mouth.

My only question .... "How do your 'dial' the number?"

His response was, "You only have to think of it! But at first you will have to state it outlaid .. Siri stye!"

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
De VINCI, Interesting comment!

And you could be right, but I think that cell phones will be embedded within a tooth before technology gets into the bloodstream.

I have a long distance relative who is a professor involved with Quantum Mechanics and that cell phone tooth may be the next and newest thing you put in your mouth.

My only question .... "How do your 'dial' the number?"

His response was, "You only have to think of it! But at first you will have to state it outlaid .. Siri stye!"

The advance is exponential (in technologies) so it's speeding up, fast and most people (who are used to think in a "linear" terms, because brain is wired to determine where the deer will be after three seconds so one could shoot an arrow to kill it. But that is not how it goes in technology, it is not linear.) doesn't even imagine of what's to come. Very interesting stuff, your professor is most probably right, but that's just a tip of the iceberg.
 Technologies are one of the rare fields that add interesting flavours to our existence, even if they are not always world changing.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »
Joel Hruska
Extreme Tech, Aug 30,2013
[snip]
It’s important to realize, I think, just how odd semiconductor scaling has been compared to everything else in human history. People often talk about Moore’s law as if it’s the semiconductor equivalent of gravity, but in reality, nothing else we’ve ever discovered has scaled like semiconductor design. From mud huts to skyrscrapers, we’ve never built a structure that’s thousands of times smaller, thousands of times faster, and thousands of times more power efficient, at the same time, within a handful of decades.
[snip]

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
Interesting?, yes... but also scary.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 08:34:29 PM »
Even with all this tech, it pales in comparison to the human brain

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/163051-simulating-1-second-of-human-brain-activity-takes-82944-processors

I guess it's safe to say that for Goodrum's it would only take a pentium 4.