Author Topic: $15 min wage forcing businesses to close  (Read 7728 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
$15 min wage forcing businesses to close
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:36:06 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: $15 min wage forcing businesses to close
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:48:07 AM »
They had this debate in Germany and brought in a minimum wage of 8.50 Euros. There were people working for 5 Euros an hour. I think there should be a minimum wage. They are now trying to change the minimum wage here..why ? because the Greedy elite are losing too much money. Why is this relevant to the US? because the system here is becoming more like the US ..

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »
I agree....everything that happens to England seems to happen here to a greater or lesser degree.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
Do you understand income inequality in the US? How the gap grew rapidly starting in the 1970s and its affects today. Also, during our "hey day" in the 1950s and 1960s, income equality was at its lowest.
I can show you why its a bad thing for eveyone, but only if we can talk with objective POV...not partisan, predetermined arguments.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:22 AM »
There was also no ridiculous welfare state as we have it today...not near the regulations...not even remotely the same manufacturing base...smaller today..then we had then.
L

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
I agree....everything that happens to England seems to happen here to a greater or lesser degree.
I was active in politics here and i can tell you this is Global.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:15:26 AM »
There was also no ridiculous welfare state as we have it today...not near the regulations...not even remotely the same manufacturing base...smaller today..then we had then.
I mean....if you want to compare the economic climate, thats fine. But Im not sure where that gets us because there will be a zillion factors that we can fashion to fit this issue.
For example, the extreme outsourcing of middle class jobs (factory etc) is a contributing factor. Taxes for the wealthy were at a higher rate too. "Trickle down" economics is what killed the middle class and increased income inequality. Basic Economics examined the economic practices of the wealthy under trickle down and concluded, they didn't spend enough or hire enough for the basis of Trickle down to be effective. It actually had an adverse effect.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »
I know we live in a global economy. But when we compare our economic climate to those in Europe, in hopes to get some broad new policies to overhaul our economic system, i think its misguided.
Only because our political structure is different and its not realistic to say "oh well it worked in Germany so it should work in the US.

I think all we have to do is take notes from our own past and pin point the time period the climate changed for the worse for middle class.

i think ideology (thats rarely based on facts)  obstructs and blurs decision making (on both sides) which makes improvement impossible.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:03 AM »
I know we live in a global economy. But when we compare our economic climate to those in Europe, in hopes to get some broad new policies to overhaul our economic system, i think its misguided.
Only because our political structure is different and its not realistic to say "oh well it worked in Germany so it should work in the US.

I think all we have to do is take notes from our own past and pin point the time period the climate changed for the worse for middle class.

i think ideology (thats rarely based on facts)  obstructs and blurs decision making (on both sides) which makes improvement impossible.
In my opinion it´s a two way street... Germany/Europe has taken some good and bad points from the US. I remember a guy in politics saying to me about 11 years ago.. it will go in the direction of the US, people working in 2-3 jobs getting low wages. This became reality ..

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »

i think ideology (thats rarely based on facts)  obstructs and blurs decision making (on both sides) which makes improvement impossible.

And we're not to far off on this but here's where I am.....you can't restrict industry based on horrible policies from the EPA, as an example.  I go back to the coal industry. Its not something that would have been overly automated or outsourced, all things being equal. Other factory work has been hard hit but there isno reason to gut an entire state and put its population on government assistance like they've done to kentucky.

These people could, with a GED or HS diploma make 90K. Same with the auto industry until a number of factors have damaged it. Thats the issue, not some burger flipper making 7.75 an hour.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
And we're not to far off on this but here's where I am.....you can't restrict industry based on horrible policies from the EPA, as an example.  I go back to the coal industry. Its not something that would have been overly automated or outsourced, all things being equal. Other factory work has been hard hit but there isno reason to gut an entire state and put its population on government assistance like they've done to kentucky.

These people could, with a GED or HS diploma make 90K. Same with the auto industry until a number of factors have damaged it. Thats the issue, not some burger flipper making 7.75 an hour.

I totally agree...My father was one of those Low formal education, middle class successes. But i think we might be talking about 2 separate sets of people. That 7.75 person would have been the factory foreman (not sure if thats such a thing) or supervisor based on years on the jobs, but those jobs arent here anymore in part to a billionaire wanting to be a bigger billionaire.

For me, Walmart, the biggest retailer on planet, and its owners could sacrifice small portion of personal income to pay their workers a livable wage. The fact that Walmart employees (in low rent areas) can apply for and are approved for welfare while working a job is a issue that must be examined.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 12:15:11 PM »
BUt I look at Walmart as entry level..same a burger flipper. I think a factory worker making something is a bigger job. Some of those jobs are gone because of outsourcing and automation and thats natural...its the idiotic regulations...self inflicted gun shot wounds that piss me off.
L

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
Pick a business that actually has a record of success. The restaurant business has always been risky. Restaurants fail all the time.

The failure rate for independent restaurants can be as high as 60 percent. The failure rates of restaurants are typically high because most restaurant owners are skilled in their profession and not necessarily business. An owner’s business ability to raise capital are key factors in deciding whether a business will be successful or not. Restaurants also fail without proper marketing strategies or high traffic locations. Businesses who aren't a household name may have difficulty capturing market share without proper visibility.
http://www.1000ventures.com/business_guide/zzzrekl_biz_fail_which_why.html

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 06:16:47 AM »
 ;D
A

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 08:31:05 AM »
Didn't have to be a business genious to see this coming..

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/seattles-15-minimum-wage-hike-forcing-restaurants-to-close/

I thought you believed in the free market????????????..if you can't afford to pay people what they're worth then maybe you shouldn't be in business.....also because of these employers who are not paying people enough, the gov't has to subsidize them with food stamps

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:54 AM »
Its not the job of a business to employ people..its their job to make money.
L

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 08:45:05 AM »
our system is so awful from top to bottom...

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »
There are things that can't be fair because you end up always selling somebody short. Whats not fair is that guys like your dad no longer exist in our economy to a large extent. Yet we have a great need for some of them. There are millions of lawyers doing god knows what but Id rather have my kid become a master plumber or electrician. Jobs like walmart should not be the end of the line for these people but the beginning.
L

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 10:03:54 AM »
walmart could pay a living [not get rich] wage of coarse it would have to cut into their 1.4 billion yearly income ::),but instead they pay shit wages and the tax payer picks up the rest of the tab

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »
I thought you believed in the free market????????????..if you can't afford to pay people what they're worth then maybe you shouldn't be in business.....also because of these employers who are not paying people enough, the gov't has to subsidize them with food stamps

I'll tell you what. The next time you decide to pay for a meal that's double or triple what it should be, don't bitch about. You want a McDonalds worker to make $15hr but the soldier out risking his life on a daily basis makes about $11. $15 isn't a living wage anywhere but you think it is. Talk about holding society hostage.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 10:16:52 AM »
Do you understand income inequality in the US? How the gap grew rapidly starting in the 1970s and its affects today. Also, during our "hey day" in the 1950s and 1960s, income equality was at its lowest.
I can show you why its a bad thing for eveyone, but only if we can talk with objective POV...not partisan, predetermined arguments.

You earn equality. It shouldn't be an entitlement. What about the business that's taking the hit? What happens when that business goes under because of a law based out of "feelings" instead of actual business commonsense? And yes, this is just commonsense. You want to kill an economy, raise the wage then the business has to raise costs that few will pay, the business can't cover overhead and when it goes under and it does go under....no jobs. This shouldn't even be an argument.  

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
Bump for Mr. finance degree.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 01:30:18 PM »
You earn equality. It shouldn't be an entitlement. What about the business that's taking the hit? What happens when that business goes under because of a law based out of "feelings" instead of actual business commonsense? And yes, this is just commonsense. You want to kill an economy, raise the wage then the business has to raise costs that few will pay, the business can't cover overhead and when it goes under and it does go under....no jobs. This shouldn't even be an argument.  

A major reason the economy is contracting is because so many businesses with hundreds of employees have billions of dollars in market cap. That's just one example. It has nothing to do with "earning"  either, so a ton of these business are funded through long periods of unprofitability as opposed to natural growth.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 07:42:24 PM »
Raising the minimum wage like this is the absolute perfect example of the mantra of "keep the poor happy, but by all means necessary, keep them poor"  That's all this is.  "Here's some money, now shut the fuck up"

this is simply a band aid solution that will appease some but hurt all.

anyone who disagrees simply does not understand basic economics.  This is a political posturing move meant to make a bunch of politicians appear that they care for poor people.  that's all.