Author Topic: Archaeologists think they have found the ashes of St. John The Apostle  (Read 4422 times)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/546668/archaeologists-think-theyve-found-ashes-st-john-apostle

Plenty of churches contain relics of saints, but not many of those relics were found in excavations from sixth-century churches.

Archaeologists at a medieval fortress site in Burgas, Bulgaria, found a lead vessel, which contains some of the ashes from the alleged grave of John the Apostle, in a reliquary that dates to the sixth century C.E. The reliquary, which was once part of an early Christian basilica, is named for Saint John the Theologian, who is considered one of Jesus' apostles. The vessel, which is less than an inch long, is decorated with crosses.

Milen Nikolov, director of the Burgas Regional Museum of History, said that early Christians would have believed the relic had healing properties. John the Apostle's grave in Turkey was also a pilgrimage site for early Christians seeking healing, Ancient Origins reports. Nikolov said the reliquary was "one of the most important discoveries" in the museum's history.

In addition to the relic, the archaeologists also uncovered a 10th century Bulgarian royal seal at the fortress site. —Meghan DeMaria

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
Fantastic thread.

Army of One

• Getbig V
I cant wait to reply to it.Most of these findings are nonsense, which makes the finding of Richard the 3rd even more remarkable.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
I cant wait to reply to it.Most of these findings are nonsense, which makes the finding of Richard the 3rd even more remarkable.
Or Philip the 2nd of Macedon (Alexander The Great's father)

I would pop a boner if they ever found Alexander's sarcophagus. They say he was mummified and displayed in a glass case for a long time.

One of the major attractions Augustus wanted to see was the tomb of Alexander the Great.  It stood at the intersection of the city’s two main roads and the body was in a gold and crystal coffin.  Alexander’s body had been embalmed according to the Egyptian rituals and thus would be relatively well preserved.

An excerpt from Anthony Everitt's book AUGUSTUS:

The young Roman gazed at the body for a time, then paid his respects by crowning the head with a golden diadem and strewing flowers on the trunk.   He was asked, “Would you now like to visit the Mausoleum of the Ptolemies?”  To which he retorted, “I came to see a king, not a row of corpses.”

History says that Augustus accidentally broke the nose off of Alexander's mummy, when he bent over to kiss his forehead  :-X

Army of One

• Getbig V
Or Phillip the 2nd of Macedon (Alexander The Great's father)

I would pop a boner if they ever found Alexander's sarcophagus. They say he was mummified and displayed in a glass case for a long time.

One of the major attractions Augustus wanted to see was the tomb of Alexander the Great.  It stood at the intersection of the city’s two main roads and the body was in a gold and crystal coffin.  Alexander’s body had been embalmed according to the Egyptian rituals and thus would be relatively well preserved.

An excerpt from Anthony Everitt's book AUGUSTUS:

The young Roman gazed at the body for a time, then paid his respects by crowning the head with a golden diadem and strewing flowers on the trunk.   He was asked, “Would you now like to visit the Mausoleum of the Ptolemies?”  To which he retorted, “I came to see a king, not a row of corpses.”

History says the Augustus accidentally broke the nose off of Alexander's mummy, when he bent over to kiss his forehead  :-X

googling it now, hadn't heard of it.Imagine finding Richard the 3rd or a gold laden tomb of an Egyptian ruler.Stuff dreams are made of.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
googling it now, hadn't heard of it.Imagine finding Richard the 3rd or a gold laden tomb of an Egyptian ruler.Stuff dreams are made of.
That's why people get into Archeology. The ruins and memories of ancient times fascinate me.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
http://www.discovergreece.com/en/where-to-go/alphabetical/a-z/v/vergina/the-tomb-of-philip-ii

Manolis Andronikos’ discovery of the tombs of the Macedonian kings Philip II and Alexander IV in 1977 shook the archaeological community and the world at large. Philip’s tomb is large, double-chambered and its facade resembles a Doric temple, with columns, a frieze and metopes carved in relief. The chamber concealed its famous golden larnax with the bones of the dead king intact for more than two millennia.

The golden Larnax where Philip the 2nd's bones where found after 2,000+ years.

Army of One

• Getbig V
That's why people get into Archeology. The ruins and memories of ancient times fascinate me.

seems Philip the 2nd isn't as cut and dry, but with the condition and features of the body, and where it was located, I think a betting man would have to side with it being him.Throw up some more if you can.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
seems Philip the 2nd isn't as cut and dry, but with the condition and features of the body, and where it was located, I think a betting man would have to side with it being him.Throw up some more if you can.
Obviously King Tut is one of the best finds in history. Sad to think what could have been discovered in Egypt, without all of the grave robberies that plagued the area.

Army of One

• Getbig V
Obviously King Tut is one of the best finds in history. Sad to think what could have been discovered in Egypt, without all of the grave robberies that plagued the area.

yeah, loved reading about the tut finding, imagine how much treasure is still out there, ranging from lost pirate ships, civs deep in the jungle long forgotten, Nazi stashes etc.

what are your thoughts on the lost dutchmans mine and the oak island money pit?My mind would love their to be something to them, but I feel most of the parts of the stories are urban legend.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
Re: Archaeologists think they have found the ashes of St. John The Apostle
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 04:07:16 AM »
Terracotta Army

The Terracotta Army or the "Terracotta Warriors and Horses" is a collection of terracotta sculptures depicting the armies of Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China. It is a form of funerary art buried with the emperor in 210–209 BCE and whose purpose was to protect the emperor in his afterlife. - Wiki

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 04:09:37 AM »
Bodybuilding related...

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 04:12:07 AM »
yeah, loved reading about the tut finding, imagine how much treasure is still out there, ranging from lost pirate ships, civs deep in the jungle long forgotten, Nazi stashes etc.

what are your thoughts on the lost dutchmans mine and the oak island money pit?My mind would love their to be something to them, but I feel most of the parts of the stories are urban legend.
Yeah Oak Island is definitely a weird one. I would have called bullshit on that one years ago, but it still doesn't explain who/why someone would go through all of that trouble with the underground chambers and manipulating the water to purposely flood areas.

Maybe someone found the treasure or came back to reclaim it long ago.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 04:13:43 AM »
Bodybuilding related...
All of these mummies sport atrophied bodyparts, just like many of todays current bodybuilders.

Indeed, bodybuilding related.

Thick Nick

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • "Some want to look good, others want to do good."
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
Bottom line... Some guys found a pile of dirt? Thanks for clearing that up.
$

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 07:01:08 AM »
Bottom line... Some guys found a pile of dirt? Thanks for clearing that up.
Tough crowd. Things like this do not interest you?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
Terracotta Army

Terracotta shit, good old Romans & Greeks used white stone & bronze  ;D

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

Shizzy have U been watching Indiana Jones DVD's  ;D

I think Young Indiana Jones TV series would be perfect 4 U  :)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
Arcaeology eventually bores u wen youve seen everything then its time to move onto electricity
A

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2015, 07:46:15 PM »
Arcaeology eventually bores u wen youve seen everything then its time to move onto electricity

start digging for Tesla secrets  :D