Author Topic: I was asked...  (Read 13641 times)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
Re: I was asked...
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »
I've seen your youtube videos when looking for other ppl doing sets on some machines I use and I noticed you also use a very slow candence and great control

nice to see proof that lower volume, high TUT on machines builds sick legs, and your gym looks ridiculous too (you're the guy with a massive gym, right?)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2015, 01:30:21 PM »

That body in the pic above was developed in this manner. I made more gains in 2 years then ever before and this is at a time where I trained just as you do currently and was resolved to the fact that free weights was "the way" watch some of my video's particularly some of my earlier ones YouTube ryan ergo for my channel. There is more to it but in a nutshell this is it. That body was trained in this fashion...

Muscle does not know what exercise you are doing. Muscle does not know if you're using a barbell, cable, cement block etc. Muscle can and will only respond to stress that is created and directed toward stimulating the muscle into responding. With the goal being hypertrophy. Bodybuilders accomplish this stress through a series of repetitions that are performed during a set. Muscle does not know about repetitions. The standard repetition is a stutter approach to creating stress on the muscle. A stutter approach is not the best approach. A more prolonged type of TUT (time under tension) is preferred to damage the muscle. If you watch the average trainer perform their set the stuttered TUT will be for that set (8-12 reps) would average a stuttered 12-20 seconds total. This is why the average trainer must do 12-20 sets to have any effect on positive results. This is a very haphazard way to train and will only delay your growth.You must find a machine that will deliver a constant tension throughout your set during both the positive and negative phases. You must train as heavily as possible while still allowing yourself to maintain a constant TUT for a minimum of 45 seconds to 2 minutes per set. Slow the reps down. Muscle does not know reps. Muscle only knows that you are delivering a new kind of constant stress that it cannot get a reprieve from as it does with a stuttered approach. It must, must activate deeper muscle fibers to compensate for this new approach. Often as little as 4-6 reps can destroy the muscle from the TUT it takes to complete the 4-6 reps. If you can go beyond 4-6 reps, do so. The lactic acid and pump will be incredibly painful. You must endure the pain and keep going to complete muscle failure. Your pain threshold will improve and so will your strength and so thus will the gains in new muscle size. Seek out the best machines at your gym for this method. These machines must give you a constant stress throughout the positive phase at a minimum. Most well designed machines can at least do this. If you can find a machine that delivers a constant stress for the negative also, do so. In other words it drives you back into the tension mode upon reversing the movement. This is an optimal machine.

This is some interesting stuff. I read another article recently extolling the virtues of continuous TUT for about 60 seconds per set. If done right, it is excruciating. Unfortunately, I don't have any machines in my home gym, only free weight stuff, but I am defo gonna try to incorporate more of this one minute TUT stuff.

OP looks incredible.

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
I've seen your youtube videos when looking for other ppl doing sets on some machines I use and I noticed you also use a very slow candence and great control

nice to see proof that lower volume, high TUT on machines builds sick legs, and your gym looks ridiculous too (you're the guy with a massive gym, right?)

Thanks yes it is me. I perform a type of Hit that incorporates 2-5 sets depending on the muscle group. 1 of those sets at a minimum will be performed using a longer TUT as the main variable. Not every set. On my leg video's just posted you will see me doing a set of 30 reps mid range partials. Most will just see a high rep set, but what what you must understand that what your seeing in a longer TUT. Repetition is a unit of time or a duration. I controlled my depth ROM and my rep speed as necessary to guide me into the 30 mark which was at 50 seconds of continuous TUT. That was my second set here that I employed greater TUT through repetition duration.

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »
If you watch my leg training vid'e you will see 2 types of variables that incorporate this increased TUT. The 2nd set 30 rep mid range partials and my final set of controlled negative with a pause in the hole until failure and then several rapid as I wanted 8 reps of tension and could not maintain past 4 slowly and still pushed faster till failure.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2015, 05:06:41 PM »
Ergo I've got a lot of love for you bro. Could you make this your log/general musings thread please.

What do you think of low dose I.e. 2.5 or 5 mg superdrol for female bbs. Online gurus are saying it has fhe same androgenic effect as var but is much more anabolic

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 05:31:37 PM »
Ergo I've got a lot of love for you bro. Could you make this your log/general musings thread please.

What do you think of low dose I.e. 2.5 or 5 mg superdrol for female bbs. Online gurus are saying it has fhe same androgenic effect as var but is much more anabolic

Var, winni, 20mg test sub Q using insulin syringe. No experience with superdrol on females. Would try what I listed 1st. I would try the test before the winni if off season which I assume as with SD.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2015, 09:36:09 PM »

Thanks yes it is me. I perform a type of Hit that incorporates 2-5 sets depending on the muscle group. 1 of those sets at a minimum will be performed using a longer TUT as the main variable. Not every set. On my leg video's just posted you will see me doing a set of 30 reps mid range partials. Most will just see a high rep set, but what what you must understand that what your seeing in a longer TUT. Repetition is a unit of time or a duration. I controlled my depth ROM and my rep speed as necessary to guide me into the 30 mark which was at 50 seconds of continuous TUT. That was my second set here that I employed greater TUT through repetition duration.

Pretty much the kind of training I've gravitated to over the last few years, my legs always responded to low volume but my joints cant take much squatting anymore. I use TUT as a metric as 'reps' can be pretty meaningless unless theyre standardized

today I did a single work set of 8 slow, paused olympic squats (TUT about 50 seconds) then 2 sets of 10 on my hammer leg press each with a 60 sec TUT, then one backdown set of 20 with a 2 min TUT

Since I had my hip scoped last year I restrict my free weights to just one work set to reduce the injury risk as much as possible.. even lifting with perfect form the squat is just more dangerous as I get older  :-\

EDIT - question , do you ever use a faster cadence for a set and lift like a 'bro'?  I've noticed my 'bro rep' strength really hasn't changed much even through I'm much stronger with paused slow reps. I guess Dr Squat was right that training HIT makes you slow lol

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
Pretty much the kind of training I've gravitated to over the last few years, my legs always responded to low volume but my joints cant take much squatting anymore. I use TUT as a metric as 'reps' can be pretty meaningless unless theyre standardized

today I did a single work set of 8 slow, paused olympic squats (TUT about 50 seconds) then 2 sets of 10 on my hammer leg press each with a 60 sec TUT, then one backdown set of 20 with a 2 min TUT

Since I had my hip scoped last year I restrict my free weights to just one work set to reduce the injury risk as much as possible.. even lifting with perfect form the squat is just more dangerous as I get older  :-\

EDIT - question , do you ever use a faster cadence for a set and lift like a 'bro'?  I've noticed my 'bro rep' strength really hasn't changed much even through I'm much stronger with paused slow reps. I guess Dr Squat was right that training HIT makes you slow lol

Yes I do. YouTube ryan ergo and watch my 30 rep mid range partial set on a just recent leg press video.
The way you are training now is very intelligent. I have not squatted in 20 years after blowing out 3 disc severely. Put me out for 15 months. Squats are the worse exercise ever and not necessary. Trust me.

mazfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2015, 01:29:53 AM »
when doing tut

how many seconds up and down do you use as a guide, ?

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 02:37:41 AM »
A repetition is just a unit of time that we assign to a 3 part phase. The positive the static and the negative. Muscle does not know what a rep is. Muscle only knows the duration of stress that it is under. It is this TUT time under tension that creates the stimulation or the hypertrophy you are after! It should not take you year after year slogging away using a stuttered approach creating this tension. A stuttered approach requires high volume for slow growth that is why most perform 12-20 sets per group. You are not Branch Warren. What I'm writing may be hard to swallow non the less this is master training material whether you like it or not.....

interesting how HIT attracts the same type of people, kind of like born again christians, this is the only true way!

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:49 AM »
interesting how HIT attracts the same type of people, kind of like born again christians, this is the only true way!

I dont think he does HIT. Hes more concerned with TUT

mazfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 04:59:16 AM »
And i think hes been doing it for some years now.

so not really a fad born again cristian kind of reaction.

more like ive been doing this for years and ive been constantly growing, thus this lifting technique works.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 08:02:12 AM »
Yes and they preach all the time about Arthur Jones,Mentzer,Yates...  i mean if it works for them fine but i agree with BigRo they sort of push it down peoples throats. Never mind that lots of champions did fine without HIT.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »
Low reps never really worked for my legs. I always use High reps for legs and never do below 15-20 reps. I aim for 20 every set though. Don't squat anymore either I just the hack machine or squat machine, lunges, leg press, single leg press on the avenger leg press machine, and extensions. I always aim for 5 sets of 20 for each exercise so I'll be doing 500 reps total and focus on TUT on the extensions and leg press. My legs have responded greatly to this method.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 08:14:59 AM »
Low reps never really worked for my legs. I always use High reps for legs and never do below 15-20 reps. I aim for 20 every set though. Don't squat anymore either I just the hack machine or squat machine, lunges, leg press, single leg press on the avenger leg press machine, and extensions. I always aim for 5 sets of 20 for each exercise so I'll be doing 500 reps total and focus on TUT on the extensions and leg press. My legs have responded greatly to this method.
^yes i like higher reps for legs. I never go below 10. Mostly 15 reps. I still like squats but i also agree with ergo that you do not need to squat. Leg press i like too. sounds like you got a good workout going Kev.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2015, 09:09:09 AM »
^yes i like higher reps for legs. I never go below 10. Mostly 15 reps. I still like squats but i also agree with ergo that you do not need to squat. Leg press i like too. sounds like you got a good workout going Kev.

Yes for YEARS (All 4 years of highschool and half a year into college) I was doing HEAVY squats 5 sets of 5 or 10 sets of 5,5,5,3,3,3,1,1,1 etc. and my legs did infact get VERY strong, my squat went from like 225 (I have extremely scrawny legs and tiny calves) max to 450 max in a matter of 2 years when my coach for football would force us to bench, squat, and deadlift everyday, but my legs never grew no matter how strong they got. As soon as I quit squatting and switched my leg training to higher reps and more sets with lower weight, they exploded in size and there is much more muscle separation now. The pump is unreal when I finish leg training and I know for sure they're not as strong as they used to be but they are for sure a lot bigger.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2015, 11:00:57 AM »

I did about 6 months of HIIT style training and started to really feel bone-deep tired and the gains stopped and the soreness DOMS never went away. Over the last 2 weeks, I've gone back to more "standard" bb-style training and feel much better. I will probably go back and forth, but I am clearly not on enough juice to recover properly from that kind of volume over the long haul.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2015, 11:27:42 AM »
HIT works, I put loads of size on training that way... Plenty of ways to crack an egg tho, and remember one thing fellas, take drugs out of the equation and you could train the most scientific way imaginable and you would gain next to nothing

So despite what the heavy duty posse claim, you can gain just as much muscle training lighter, doing multiple sets, not even training to failure..

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »

I don't train HIT. I train 3-8 sets per group and I'm to wiped out to go on. I don't care how you train. I trained 12-25 sets for 20 + years. Couldn't do it anymore after 50 had to change. Best thing I ever did was up intensity and lower my volume. The HIT community do not like me because I modified HIT to suit my own training.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2015, 11:40:54 AM »
I use HIT when i want to change things up and lift heavy.  Typically i train in the 10-20 rep range.

My legs always responded better to reps.  20 rep squats for 5 sets did more for me than low reps.  For some reason my quads and hams respond great to high reps and moderate volume.

I actually train a lot like ergo, low volume and high intensity.  I never do less than 6 reps.

8)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2015, 11:41:47 AM »
HIT works, I put loads of size on training that way... Plenty of ways to crack an egg tho, and remember one thing fellas, take drugs out of the equation and you could train the most scientific way imaginable and you would gain next to nothing

So despite what the heavy duty posse claim, you can gain just as much muscle training lighter, doing multiple sets, not even training to failure..
This... ala Bill Pearl. Infact he even said in a book that Jones was trying to persuade him and even sent his pull over machine to Pearl,,, Bill pearl wrote he did quite well without Nautilus or Heavy Duty. Not putting down his machines in any way but a lot of this mentality came from A Jones. Point is to say this is the only way to train is ridiculous. I refer to Jones while this is where all this Mythology started. How many HIT trainers were Mr O ?

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 01:00:22 PM »
So TUT with machines is you basically never let the load rest on the machine, u always hVe the weight controlled?

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »
^^^I'm not sure if you're not supposed to lock out, but on leg day I never lock out doing presses. I'll do leg press and go up slowly but never lock out at the top so I always have tension on my quads I feel as if this way will work my legs a lot more and I can for sure feel it after my set is over.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »

I don't train HIT. I train 3-8 sets per group and I'm to wiped out to go on. I don't care how you train. I trained 12-25 sets for 20 + years. Couldn't do it anymore after 50 had to change. Best thing I ever did was up intensity and lower my volume. The HIT community do not like me because I modified HIT to suit my own training.

well thats not very nice is it  ;)

ergo

• Getbig II
  • SteamRolling
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
well thats not very nice is it  ;)

That's as mean as I get lol...