Author Topic: Mr. Llewellyn: a question about MD dec 05  (Read 1532 times)

youngguns

• Getbig II
Mr. Llewellyn: a question about MD dec 05
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:41:25 PM »
Mr. Llewellyn in your Dec 05 research up date you explained Marijuana relationship with test production and est. production. A kid in my gym and I have been discussing this issue. He regularly smokes, Two to three times a day. I was wondering what the effect on metabolism is for regular smokers and the occasional smoker?

w_llewellyn

• Getbig II
  • X-Factor
Re: Mr. Llewellyn: a question about MD dec 05
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 05:32:48 AM »
Its acute effects include stimulation of the metabolic rate. It increases heart rate, resipration, resting blood pressure, and reduces exercise performance. Tolerance to most of these effects develops rapidly, and regular smokers are far less apt to notice them. It also increases appetite of course, but doesn't seem to effect carbohydrate metabolism. Some studies show that smokers consume more calories, but aren't any fatter, than non-smokers, so there is still a lot that needs investigation. Earlier links to gynecomastia have been contradicted by later studies, so there is no universally accepted association.

I assume your question is more focus on whethor or not smoking will help or hinder gains in the gym. I don't think the acute effects are strong enough to really interfere with gains overall for the occassional smoker, and tolerance prevents regular smokers from being as affected by the drug. Although a case can probably be made against it, I think the bigger issue is motivation, which can be a problem for some regular marijuana smokers. If your friend is consistently training, he will probably do fine. If it is interfering with his intensity or motivation to train, it most certainly will hinder growth and performance.

Hope this helps.
X-Factor: Most Potent Natural Anabolic

youngguns

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »
Thanks. Your research is always well written and backed up. It is good to have a real expert on the boards.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 03:07:50 AM »
Its acute effects include stimulation of the metabolic rate. It increases heart rate, resipration, resting blood pressure, and reduces exercise performance. Tolerance to most of these effects develops rapidly, and regular smokers are far less apt to notice them. It also increases appetite of course, but doesn't seem to effect carbohydrate metabolism. Some studies show that smokers consume more calories, but aren't any fatter, than non-smokers, so there is still a lot that needs investigation. Earlier links to gynecomastia have been contradicted by later studies, so there is no universally accepted association.

I assume your question is more focus on whethor or not smoking will help or hinder gains in the gym. I don't think the acute effects are strong enough to really interfere with gains overall for the occassional smoker, and tolerance prevents regular smokers from being as affected by the drug. Although a case can probably be made against it, I think the bigger issue is motivation, which can be a problem for some regular marijuana smokers. If your friend is consistently training, he will probably do fine. If it is interfering with his intensity or motivation to train, it most certainly will hinder growth and performance.
Hope this helps.

I think it's interesting that some studies have correlated marijuana with gyno and others refute it.  I would think it would be peripheral issues that cause the gyno, with marijuana being one of them.  The lack of motivation for training would probably be the biggest drawback, IMO.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...