Author Topic: Arnold talks training and diet  (Read 7563 times)

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
Arnold talks training and diet
« on: April 17, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »
some nice training talk from Arnold

spiro

• Getbig IV
Re: Arnold talks training and diet
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »
Repost but great video.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
I see loads of Mickey Mouse stuff every time I'm in the gym.  Please leave your fucking phone in the car.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
whenever I watch ahnuld vids like this or read some of serge's (pip) old posts I get the urge to train super high volume like those guys.

but after a week I realise that I get better results training low volume high frequency (30 minute weight sessions) so the possibility of slightly better results doesn't justify the 150% increase in training time.

anyone had success cutting by increasing sets to an ultra high volume level as a replacement for cardio?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »

Good video.
He speaks a lot of sense.

I'm with Arnold,
Ban The Pregnant Bellies on Stage.
And Ban Them God Damn Mobile Phones in the Gym.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
whenever I watch ahnuld vids like this or read some of serge's (pip) old posts I get the urge to train super high volume like those guys.

but after a week I realise that I get better results training low volume high frequency (30 minute weight sessions) so the possibility of slightly better results doesn't justify the 150% increase in training time.

anyone had success cutting by increasing sets to an ultra high volume level as a replacement for cardio?

Yes. Serge Nubret. But his genetics were from somewhere else...
?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »
The whole notion of doing pullovers to expand your rib cage sounds like broscience. How does one expand one's ribcage? How do you expand your bones?  ??? ???
X

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
How do you expand your bones?  ??? ???

You can expand my bone anytime.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:47:32 AM »
You can expand my bone anytime.

Go on........
X

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
Go on........

I'll be naked, you'll be naked and doing some sort of ethnic dancing. As you glance over (don't make it too obvious) you'll notice my bone beginning to expand.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »

A guess a lot of this depends on your age and/or if you're on roids or not.

I used high volume when I was young and it worked great.  I favor high volume today, the only problem is you can get burned out quickly if you are older and natty like me... you are forced to reduce the frequency.  Taking every other day off prevents burnout, but then you're only hitting the muscle groups once every 5-6 days.  Alternating 2on/1off with 1on/1off has worked well for me.

In my experience high volume works as replacement for cardio.  Eating clean and lowering carbs makes it even better.  My workouts last about 90-120 minutes.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 11:47:26 AM »
More and more of the unused Pumping Iron footage is slowly being released.  Many hours of workout footage was filmed... I want to see ALL of it!  Notice how wide his grip is on those inclines...

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 12:21:25 PM »
A guess a lot of this depends on your age and/or if you're on roids or not.

I used high volume when I was young and it worked great.  I favor high volume today, the only problem is you can get burned out quickly if you are older and natty like me... you are forced to reduce the frequency.  Taking every other day off prevents burnout, but then you're only hitting the muscle groups once every 5-6 days.  Alternating 2on/1off with 1on/1off has worked well for me.

In my experience high volume works as replacement for cardio.  Eating clean and lowering carbs makes it even better.  My workouts last about 90-120 minutes.
I can do high volume no problem but IDK if I get better gains from doing 15 sets than 30. Either way for me as a natural I have noticed that I need minimum 5 days per musclegroup for full recovery after a Hard workout.

Either way on roids all this is probably thrown out the window and you can train more frequent and higher volume.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »

Dude is living in the past and after a failed marriage and facing infirmity in old age is looking for every way possible to maintain his huge ego.  Loves to claim he worked harder and outsmarted everyone, what a douchebag.  Arnold should take some of his own advice and get the fuck in shape, nobody cares about some has been talking about how to get in shape when the last time he looked swole was decades ago.  Now if this was Robby Robinson handing out advice, it would be worth a listen.
V

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 05:09:37 PM »
More and more of the unused Pumping Iron footage is slowly being released.  Many hours of workout footage was filmed... I want to see ALL of it!  Notice how wide his grip is on those inclines...

That's awesome!!!!!

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 05:23:14 PM »
Dude is living in the past and after a failed marriage and facing infirmity in old age is looking for every way possible to maintain his huge ego.  Loves to claim he worked harder and outsmarted everyone, what a douchebag.  Arnold should take some of his own advice and get the fuck in shape, nobody cares about some has been talking about how to get in shape when the last time he looked swole was decades ago.  Now if this was Robby Robinson handing out advice, it would be worth a listen.
Hahah.  Arnold is ok and all, but way too many people are on his jock.  Sick build for sure, but damn...let's leave 1980 in the past where it belongs...35 years ago.
N

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 05:33:51 PM »

Yes he has an ego, but so does everyone.  Arnold has done more in one lifetime than most people are could accomplish in 5 lifetimes... could barely speak English when he came to the US, he became 7x Mr O, an actor, millionaire and a governor.  It's very interesting to learn more about what he did and how he did it.  At 67, I think he's in very good shape for his age.  Robby Robinson is a hobo by comparison.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 05:48:25 PM »
Yes he has an ego, but so does everyone.  Arnold has done more in one lifetime than most people are could accomplish in 5 lifetimes... could barely speak English when he came to the US, he became 7x Mr O, an actor, millionaire and a governor.  It's very interesting to learn more about what he did and how he did it.  At 67, I think he's in very good shape for his age.  Robby Robinson is a hobo by comparison.
agreed
And Arnold has earned the right to have an ego
w

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 05:52:23 PM »
Hahah.  Arnold is ok and all, but way too many people are on his jock.  Sick build for sure, but damn...let's leave 1980 in the past where it belongs...35 years ago.
The physiques of the past shit all over the modern pros.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
The physiques of the past shit all over the modern pros.

Could not have said it any better, sir.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 06:00:38 PM »
"Expanding the rib cage" is not expanding Knoogers bone.

It is stretching the cartilage between the ribs. It can't be done when you are old (like me)... but when you are younger and things are more "pliable' the theory in place is one of stretching out the cartilage thereby increasing the diameter of the rib cage.

There are lots of somewhat logical (but not always true) theories out there, for example: Squatting gives you a big butt.

Lots of things can be stretched over time... like doing the splits, etc... but try not to let your imagination run too wild....

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 06:06:43 PM »
Mike Mentzer is probably rolling over in his grave....

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 06:12:34 PM »
Mike Mentzer is probably rolling over in his grave....

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 06:21:51 PM »
Mike Mentzer didn't build his body on H.I.T.

But...

He pushed the dogmatism of H.I.T training to no end, including Ayn Rand's "Objectivism" philosiphy along the way.

Arnold say's "More Sets" , Mike said less... with 'more' intensity, demanding that logic be applied to an inverse ratio: You can't possibly be working out hard if you are working out for a long time, and if you are working out at maximum intensity, your duration period is very short.

Now, we could all post pics of his physique kicking ass.... it's a matter of choosing the right pics.

I wouldn't have minded being there in front of the stage to see just exactly what he did look like... for real.

I could post a pic of any bodybuilder looking better than another... just two minutes for a chop.

Arnold say's that chins/pullups are for width. Interesting. He say's that rowing (which Reg Park didnt believe in) was for thickness.

Later, Arnold say's when describing "being inside the muscle" that you had to feel a lat row... and then hit a pose, to "open up the wings" ..... I'm confused.

Rowing definitely stretches the lats out if you are facing downward. Gravity pulls and stretches them.... hmmmmm....

Oh, wait. I might start an argument. 

So, to be clear, a guy who does rows only will never have lat width? What was Dorian Yates' favorite back exercise again???

My bad....

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »

People who say/think Menzer should've placed higher than Arnold at the '80 Mr O need their eyes checked.