Author Topic: Victory Martinez guest posing in Miami today  (Read 6495 times)

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Victory Martinez guest posing in Miami today
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »

Competing in NY soon?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: Victory Martinez guest posing in Miami today
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Competing in NY soon?

I finally broke down and watched "Generation Iron" late last year and I kinda feel bad for this guy. He's probably not even really into training anymore and his body is really doing what he wants it to do, but he has not other options.  He has like 6 or 7 kids, a lengthy criminal record and is trapped in that industry even though he is clearly past his prime.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:40:09 PM »
What did he have, one Arnold victory?  Just another case of how drama can ruin your career, but it's not like he was a real contender anyway.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:25:30 PM »
He needs to hang it up. Too much time has passed. His time is up.
X

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »
It's to bad because he should have been the fill in  champ between Jay and Phil. Dex stepped up and took Vic's O. 

Now Vic is hanging on trying to recapture a prime physical condition that he was never able to bring to the stage.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »
that's about how lean he gets for actual shows. I've always liked his shape and find it a shame as well how he never could pull it together.
?

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 01:02:31 AM »

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:48:43 AM »
He is trapped in what he is doing. Like most people! And then struggle as long as they can make it!

Sports and beauty carrer most of the time bring you down the path! Age is your enemie!

Working with knowledge is another story. You just getting better and better all your life!

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:52:30 AM »
He tried to get out twice, opening a gym that failed and a restaurant that failed. Troubled guy I hear

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 04:01:58 AM »
that's about how lean he gets for actual shows. I've always liked his shape and find it a shame as well how he never could pull it together.

He pulled it together in 2007. He just didn't guest pose for Steve W enough.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 06:56:24 AM »
It's to bad because he should have been the fill in  champ between Jay and Phil. Dex stepped up and took Vic's O. 

Now Vic is hanging on trying to recapture a prime physical condition that he was never able to bring to the stage.
He was Mr. O in 2007, just doesn't have the trophy, title or money.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
He was Mr. O in 2007, just doesn't have the trophy, title or money.

Very true!

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 07:08:29 AM »
He always could resort to G4P if anything.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 07:10:03 AM »

From this clip, I got that he is going to do the NY pro, followed by the Arnold Brazil and in the process hopes to get qualification to the Mr. Olympia.

Worthy of mention is that the interviewer pointed out that Victor has won the Arnold 2x (Ohio & Spain).

"1"

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 07:14:41 AM »
From this clip, I got that he is going to do the NY pro, followed by the Arnold Brazil and in the process hopes to get qualification to the Mr. Olympia.

Worthy of mention is that the interviewer pointed out that Victor has won the Arnold 2x (Ohio & Spain).

"1"

I know you see Vic every now and then. What financial/career advice would you give him?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 07:27:22 AM »
I know you see Vic every now and then. What financial/career advice would you give him?

I haven't seen Vic for about 5-6 months now.

Honestly, when he started his gym, I was one of the first 2-3 guys that joined. The gym failed not because Victor was some sort of thief or anything like that. The gym failed, because Victor was not the sole owner of the gym. He had a girlfriend "Abby" who had put down a substantial amount of money and would handle the major finances. Victor provided his name, presence and would try to advertise as much as he could.

Their business plan was a failure, because they didn't account for slow seasons and fluctuations. They were giving out yearly memberships for about $125. I remember telling them to do monthly billing and to stick to a round figure like $20-30 per month, plus a marginal sign-up fee. I also told them they needed better trainers that would charge a reasonable price per hour. They had all sorts of trainers in the gym, some guys with little-to-no experience and then other guys with great experience charging like $100/hr (stupid as shit).

The muscle grill idea had potential, but it wasn't a sole proprietorship. Again, if you link up with someone, there is no preordained viability to how a business will perform, especially when you don't decide on every decision.

Moving forward, I think he should do a few more of the smaller shows, make decent money and just invest in real estate (buy a house or two and rent them out - let his money work for him for a bit). If he goes back to the Mr. Olympia stage, I think he should try one last time and if he doesn't win (even if he places 2-5) just retire from bodybuilding.

After retiring, I think he should consider a smaller business to start. He should pool together his money and invest into a more proven franchise that has a set business model and more corporate guidance involved (think Dunkin Donuts or Subways). He can do that and make a decent enough living, while possibly doing high-end personal training on the side. He is very close to a number of musicians in the "Rap & Hip Hop" industry and can go the route of Stan McQuay by way of training A & B-list celebrities.

I see him as being at the crossroads. The thing is that most professional bodybuilders become addicted to the thrill of competition and always think they have a chance at getting the top prize of the sport. Unfortunately, everyone has a shelf-life.

"1"

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
The most intelligent and interesting post I have read on getbig in YEARS. I have a new found respect for you.
sept 10th APF

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:11:29 AM »

Honestly, when he started his gym, I was one of the first 2-3 guys that joined. The gym failed not because Victor was some sort of thief or anything like that. The gym failed, because Victor was not the sole owner of the gym. He had a girlfriend "Abby" who had put down a substantial amount of money and would handle the major finances. Victor provided his name, presence and would try to advertise as much as he could.

Their business plan was a failure, because they didn't account for slow seasons and fluctuations. They were giving out yearly memberships for about $125. I remember telling them to do monthly billing and to stick to a round figure like $20-30 per month, plus a marginal sign-up fee. I also told them they needed better trainers that would charge a reasonable price per hour. They had all sorts of trainers in the gym, some guys with little-to-no experience and then other guys with great experience charging like $100/hr (stupid as shit).

The muscle grill idea had potential, but it wasn't a sole proprietorship. Again, if you link up with someone, there is no preordained viability to how a business will perform, especially when you don't decide on every decision.

Moving forward, I think he should do a few more of the smaller shows, make decent money and just invest in real estate (buy a house or two and rent them out - let his money work for him for a bit). If he goes back to the Mr. Olympia stage, I think he should try one last time and if he doesn't win (even if he places 2-5) just retire from bodybuilding.

After retiring, I think he should consider a smaller business to start. He should pool together his money and invest into a more proven franchise that has a set business model and more corporate guidance involved (think Dunkin Donuts or Subways). He can do that and make a decent enough living, while possibly doing high-end personal training on the side. He is very close to a number of musicians in the "Rap & Hip Hop" industry and can go the route of Stan McQuay by way of training A & B-list celebrities.

I see him as being at the crossroads. The thing is that most professional bodybuilders become addicted to the thrill of competition and always think they have a chance at getting the top prize of the sport. Unfortunately, everyone has a shelf-life.

"1"

I heard the gym was in Upper Manhattan.  Do you live near the gym or did you have to commute to get there?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 10:13:31 AM »
Vic needs to open an Afterhour club and stick to what he knows!
?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
I heard the gym was in Upper Manhattan.  Do you live near the gym or did you have to commute to get there?

I live in the Tribeca neighborhood of Manhattan, nearby City Hall and the Borough of Manhattan Community College.

Victor's gym was in the Dyckman area of Manhattan, which is close to the very end of Manhattan island. I used to have to take the A train from Chambers Street all the way to Dyckman Street. It was a 30-40 minute ride by train, but worth it since I used to work out with Victor, Dean (His gym's manager), Jason Arntz and a few big NPC competitors. Not to mention that Victor's trainer (Victor Muñoz) was very helpful in giving everyone new tips and tricks.

Attached below is a map to show you what my commute looked like, if you care. I practically traveled from the lower end/tip of Manhattan, to the very top end of the island.

"1"

flex933

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 11:17:00 AM »
Wow .....thought he would be good in speaking Spanish.....constantly gets tongue tied.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 12:04:09 PM »
Wow .....thought he would be good in speaking Spanish.....constantly gets tongue tied.
Hes stoned

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 02:44:38 PM »

"1"

Unlike Stan he put all his eggs in one basket and has nothing to show for. Stan started his career as a hobby only and to this day, it's still a hobby. He was already a personal trainer from the get go and was using bbing as a marketing tool for him to attract more clients esp the high end celebrity deals

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »

"1"
Would think as soon as he starts placing out of the decent money he would hang it up. Sure he could develop an excellent high end personal training business in a hurry.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 03:42:10 PM »
I finally broke down and watched "Generation Iron" late last year and I kinda feel bad for this guy. He's probably not even really into training anymore and his body is really doing what he wants it to do, but he has not other options.  He has like 6 or 7 kids, a lengthy criminal record and is trapped in that industry even though he is clearly past his prime.

Likely these events would have happened to him regardless of bodybuilding.

I think he's got a decent shot at top 3 and maybe contend for the win at one more NY pro.