Author Topic: Personal gym goals?  (Read 1403 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Personal gym goals?
« on: April 20, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
I don't want to compete flexing in a thong on stage again.
I'm also quite sure I don't want to run a marathon or do cross fit.
There will NO posting of gym selfies on Facebook or Instagram

I really need some clear goals to give my training some focus and direction.

My main priority is fat loss and cardio fitness.
I enjoy training inside the gym and have no desire to be outside.

Suggestions?

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
Re: Personal gym goals?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:40:27 AM »
180kg bench
300kg deadlift
260kg squat

Go for it.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »
Train to attract young muscley studs.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
Train to attract young muscley studs.
;D ;D ;D ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:00 PM »
 ::)
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
Lift instinctively so you will enjoy lifting. Keep a split but go without a plan. Lift hard but not so hard so you won't find lifting so hellish that you start missing days. Pick a weight used so you can keep a rhythm to your sets. It's better in my opinion for a guy over 55 to keep a pace when lifting and not be concerned with trying to impress other guys in the gym. Sure you can lift those heavy dumbbells for a set or two of low reps but what will work the muscles is minimal rest between sets using moderate weights.   Maybe pick one lift for your show off ego lift and concentrate on it for that single. The rest of the exercises just go hard on the reps but not to absolute failure.

Use the treadmill for distances from 2 to 5 miles. Vary it. I personally hate the treadmill because if you are having a bad day that speed is right in front of your face. If I'm on the road I might slow down but I  complete what I started. In other words you do what you can for that day when you're on the road as opposed to seeing the speed on the treadmill.

Also try fast walking on an incline. Most treadmills show a quarter mile track in lights on the display.  If not it will show .25 on the distance.  Try walking 3.8MPH which is a fast walk. Start the first lap on level incline. The next lap go up 1% grade incline. Every lap or .25 go up 1% incline. In a hypothetical workout let's say you're exhausted at 6% incline. Gut it out and reward your self with a final lap at 0% grade. When you lower your grade to 0% it will feel like you're flying. If you can get up to 12% to 15% you should be in good cardio shape. Consult with a doctor so it doesn't kill you.  

Another option is intervals on the treadmill. Start off with light running or fast walking. Do something like running 8 x 440 yards (one lap or .25 distance).  Rest in between with fast walking for 220 yards in between. If the treadmill has an electronic display of a track this will be easy. Another common interval workout is 6 x 880 (two laps around or .50)  This time use an entire lap of fast walking for the rest interval.  

So there are three different approaches on the treadmill. Running distance, fast walking on an incline, and interval running. Mix them up during the week.

Stay away from steroids but use Hormone replacement if you absolutely need it.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »
Try to bed the cut chick that works the juice bar.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:33:35 PM »
To make every woman experience "vaginal waterfalls" at my mere presence.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D

FG is not the same without Herbert. Maybe Howard could replace him.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 01:53:13 PM »
180kg bench
300kg deadlift
260kg squat

Go for it.

I wish I could, but I have osteoarthritis in my shoulder and sacrum ( low back).
Heavy reg deadlifts and barbell squats would make me a cripple now.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 01:57:34 PM »
Lift instinctively so you enjoy lifting. Keep a split but go without a plan. Lift hard but not so hard that you soon find lifting so hellish you start missing days. Pick a weight used so you can keep a rhythm to your sets. It's better in my opinion for a guy over 55 to keep a pace when lifting and not be concerned with trying to impress other guys in the gym. Sure you can lift those heavy dumbbells for a set or two of low reps but what will work the muscles is minimal rest between sets using moderate weights.   Maybe pick one lift for your show off ego lift and concentrate on it for that single. The rest of the exercises just go hard on the reps but not to absolute failure.

Use the treadmill for distances from 2 to 5 miles. Vary it. I personally hate the treadmill because if you are having a bad day that speed is right in front of your face. If you're on the road you slow down but complete what you started. In other words you do what you can for that day.

Also try fast walking on an incline. Most treadmills show a quarter mile track in lights on the display.  If not it will show .25 on the distance.  Try walking 3.8MPH which is a fast walk. Start the first lap on level incline. The next lap go up 1% grade incline. Every lap or .25 go up 1% incline. In a hypothetical workout let's say you're exhausted at 6% incline. Gut it out and reward your self with a final lap at 0% grade. When you lower your grade to 0% it will feel like your flying. If you can get up to 12% to 15% you should be in good cardio shape. Consult with a doctor so it doesn't kill you.  

Another option is intervals on the treadmill. Start off with light running or fast walking. Do something like running 8 x 440 yards (one lap or .25 distance).  Rest in between with fast walking for 220 yards in between. If the treadmill has an electronic display of a track this will be easy. Another comment interval workout is 6x 880 (two laps around or .50)  This time use an entire lap of fast walking for the rest interval.  

So there are three different approaches on the treadmill. Running distance, fast walking on an incline, and interval running.

Stay away from steroids but use Hormone replacement if you absolutely need it.

1. I'm starting to use pre-exhaust supersets and enjoy getting a good pump again.
Examples:  super set cable crosses with smith machine incline press ( 3 work sets x 8-10 reps each) for chest
                 super set  preacher curls with standing DB curls

2. I love the treadmill cardio workouts you outlined, sound exactly like what I enjoy and need to do.

Thanks for posting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
1. I'm starting to use pre-exhaust supersets and enjoy getting a good pump again.
Examples:  super set cable crosses with smith machine incline press ( 3 work sets x 8-10 reps each) for chest
                 super set  preacher curls with standing DB curls

2. I love the treadmill cardio workouts you outlined, sound exactly like what I enjoy and need to do.

Thanks for posting.

Looks like I was typing that drunk with all the misspellings and grammatical errors. LOL.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D

Ahhaha, I had that phrase in my head today, lol...
?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »
Looks like I was typing that drunk with all the misspellings and grammatical errors. LOL.

No biggy. I enjoyed reading you feedback.
I started doing more intense running workouts on the treadmill.
Damn, it's f'm hard now as I'm heavier and in piss poor condition.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »
I found when I was younger I could get into cardio shape regardless of how bad a shape I was in two weeks. Now it takes me about 4 months of hard work to get into running shape.

DanzigBrah

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 03:55:09 PM »
I listen to Frank zane, form to get in good shape and not get injured. He said if he could do it all over he would use very light weight and use slow negatives and higher reps, wouldn't have been as bulky but would have had less injury