Author Topic: fat vs carbohydrate  (Read 6117 times)

Rudee

• Getbig V
Re: fat vs carbohydrate
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
carbs through morning and day of work and before workout  then at night not much carbs. mosly protein and fats.

carbs is just fuel for performance, both mental and physical.

Didn't Lyle say that an average 1.5 hour bodybuilding workout does not require any more than 100gms of carbohydrate to fuel?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
Didn't Lyle say that an average 1.5 hour bodybuilding workout does not require any more than 100gms of carbohydrate to fuel?

Also, about 1/3 of the Glycogen used in exercise gets recycled back into glucose. So, with carbs, you get more bang for your buck, which is why I believe we over estimate how much carbohydrate we need.

I've found that to get to really low bodyfat, I need to drastically reduced carbs.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »
I prefer the 2:1 carb to fat ratio

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
Also, about 1/3 of the Glycogen used in exercise gets recycled back into glucose. So, with carbs, you get more bang for your buck, which is why I believe we over estimate how much carbohydrate we need.

I've found that to get to really low bodyfat, I need to drastically reduced carbs.

Definitely, but if your natty, your workouts eventually begin to suffer.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »
Its not going to matter one bit.  Might as well play connect four on an endless loop.

You're right

how u look is mostly genetic do u think k these ripped up Bros down on the b-ball court eating chicken wings & grape soda are monitoring there "macros" lol

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 12:19:50 AM »
Very odd. I have also experienced this. I just always chalked it up to the euphoria of the food and the associated guilt of "breaking" a diet (even though it was planned). I also just figured I was being a giant pussy and stuffed it down.

Could be a serotonin reaction.  Insulin feeding aminos to muscle changes the balance of aminos crossing the blood/brain barrier in favor of tryptophan, from which serotonin is made.  This was the explanation I read for 'post-prandial somnolescence' anyway.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:37 AM »
Coitus interuptus

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 08:04:34 AM »
For me...

Carbs pros: More strength, pump, muscle fullness, better mental focus.  

Carbs cons: Water retention/bloofy, bloated gut feeling, farts.

Fat pros: Little/no water retention, no stomach bloat, no gas.

Fat cons: Flatter muscles, less pump during workouts, felt sick after hard workouts... especially legs.

carbs con: blood sugar levels dictate your hunger levels

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 08:35:13 AM »
Its not going to matter one bit.  Might as well play connect four on an endless loop.

Here's one of my problems:

After my bad experiences with starvation/caffeiene, I upped the calories and now aim for 2000-2500 per day.

I like to eat a big, satisfying meal with a variety of ingredients.  This meal is usually about 1000 calories or so.  I also like to cook it, so this means I eat it at night.

As a result, I subsist on small amounts of food throughout the day.  While I'm much better off now than before, I still worry that I lack energy for the day.

I want to make sure I get the most out of those 1000 or so calories I can eat before dinner.  If there's any possibility some foods will help more than others, I want to learn about it.

Maybe eating a big meal in the morning would be better, but I can't think of a way to fit cooking into the beginning of my day.  I also worry (perhaps irrationally) about 'running out' of calories as the day goes on.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 09:47:35 AM »

After my bad experiences with starvation/caffeiene, I upped the calories and now aim for 2000-2500 per day.

I like to eat a big, satisfying meal with a variety of ingredients.  This meal is usually about 1000 calories or so.  I also like to cook it, so this means I eat it at night.

As a result, I subsist on small amounts of food throughout the day.  While I'm much better off now than before, I still worry that I lack energy for the day.

I want to make sure I get the most out of those 1000 or so calories I can eat before dinner.  If there's any possibility some foods will help more than others, I want to learn about it.

Maybe eating a big meal in the morning would be better, but I can't think of a way to fit cooking into the beginning of my day.  I also worry (perhaps irrationally) about 'running out' of calories as the day goes on.
Weren't you doing the so called "no one" dieting stuff or am I thinking of someone else? If you did are you saying in retrospect that it wasn't a good thing?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:04 AM »

It seems like most dietary indiscretions take place at night. IMO, you have the right idea. Low cals meal during the day give you some wiggle room to loosen up at night.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 10:02:46 AM »

What kind of bad experiences?

It just stalled your progress or something more specific?

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 10:09:49 AM »

have big bowl of oatmeal in the micro with proteinshake to it in the morning if you dont wanna cook. can spice it up with bananas or something in it too. I usually add 2 eggwhites to the shake aswell

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 10:15:21 AM »

I did the Galenieko/Starvation thing. Really didn't work out that much for me I looked like shit by the end. I bulked up from like 190 to 220 on Tren test mast cycle and ended up getting fat as fuck but also huge and lots of muscle gain. After I ended the cycle I crash dieted (Big mistake) from eating my typical 4-5K calories to like 1-1.5K calories per day and 0 carbs 6 days out of the week and doing cardio 20 mins every day. I went from 220 to 180 in about 2 months and got small as fuck but also lost a shit load of fat (16%ish body fat from the start down to 10%) and an easy 10lbs of water weight. I was flat, out of energy, my weight loss stalled even when on T3 at 100mcg, my strength suffered big time, arms shrunk, actually I shrunk muscle wise a lot. After I couldn't take it anymore I upped my calories back up to 2000-2200 and carb cycle and kept fats pretty low I started getting leaner and way fuller and doing cardio 30 mins every day with the treadmill at the highest incline at 3.5 speed which is a power walk. I'm like 187 now and 8-9% bodyfat but much bigger and strength is back up where it used to be and now I can see abs without flexing. Full of energy and train 7 days a week and cardio 7 days a week.

Damios

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »
High Carb/Low Fat Diet + Test/Tren/T3 work best for me.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 11:05:46 AM »
I did the Galenieko/Starvation thing. Really didn't work out that much for me I looked like shit by the end. I bulked up from like 190 to 220 on Tren test mast cycle and ended up getting fat as fuck but also huge and lots of muscle gain. After I ended the cycle I crash dieted (Big mistake) from eating my typical 4-5K calories to like 1-1.5K calories per day and 0 carbs 6 days out of the week and doing cardio 20 mins every day.
Low cals plus really low carbs is a big no-no for me.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 12:54:15 PM »

I was saving all but 200 calories until my one, nighlty meal.  Most of those 200 cals went into coffee creamer.

It was a living nightmare.  I was a complete nervous wreck and felt on the verge of mental collapse.  I became obsessed with calorie counting and so afraid of going over 2k that I often probably ate only 1500 or so.

I learned so much... So many miserable experiences in my life I now understand were simple attributable to hunger.  But this was another level of mental illness.

I always noticed, but never mentioned, how gal and no one seemed moody and erratic.  Now, I think I know exactly what was going on... Whether it was cigs, coke, or who knows what else (gal) or caffeine (me, no one), we got ripped to the bone at the cost of mental soundness.

You feel capable and happy as the fat falls off and the drugs drip in, masking the warning signs.  Past a certain point things start going horribly wrong...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »
Low cals plus really low carbs is a big no-no for me.

I think this may be the case for me too.  It seems like all of the foods that I'm supposed to 'stay away from', e.g. sugary foods that are supposed 'spike blood sugar then leave you hungry shortly after' are actually more satisfying in the long run.

I seem to notice 300 cals of a sugary food will leave me craving more immediately and slightly depressed in the short term.  Over the next few hours though, I'm okay.

300 cals of fat/protein doesn't give me that immediate depression and I 'should' feel better for longer... In fact I seem to feel worse, hungrier.  

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
Imagine if u put all this energy & thought into getting rich

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 02:01:12 PM »
Interesting shit guys, but i heard you mention you carb cycled with low fat, does that mean even on low carb days you kept fats low? Isnt that bad?

Also, when u have hi carb days do you eat more than 2200 cals?

Im doing about 1800 kcals of hi fat low carb now and do feel pretty shitty. I cheat once or twice with anythting i want per week (cookie binges, cake, pizza). Not healthy but i feel its needed. Once i hit where i want i will keep carbs low around 20-30 grams but up the calories to 2200 or so.

I also do what u do. Small 300 cal breakfast, 300-400 cal lunch and then 1000 or so at dinner

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
Interesting shit guys, but i heard you mention you carb cycled with low fat, does that mean even on low carb days you kept fats low? Isnt that bad?

Also, when u have hi carb days do you eat more than 2200 cals?

Im doing about 1800 kcals of hi fat low carb now and do feel pretty shitty. I cheat once or twice with anythting i want per week (cookie binges, cake, pizza). Not healthy but i feel its needed. Once i hit where i want i will keep carbs low around 20-30 grams but up the calories to 2200 or so.

I also do what u do. Small 300 cal breakfast, 300-400 cal lunch and then 1000 or so at dinner

No I change my fats too. For example Yesterday I kept carbs at 250 and fats at 50, today my carbs are at 100-120 and fats at 65-70. Also regarding cheats, if you're still pretty fat, keep it to one cheat meal a week because you don't want crazy insulin levels multiple times a day to lose weight, if you're pretty lean you can have a whole cheat day but don't binge and stuff yourself to the point where you can't move and you can handle those crazy insulin levels through the day.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »
Fat all the way.

Carbohydrates is the # 1 reason for the lard-ass epidemic in this country.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2015, 06:02:49 PM »
Some people can eat 5000+ calories during Thanksgiving and feel full but go on about their day like it's no big deal. Others will eat that kind of meal and have to sit down because they get vertigo like symptoms...

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 06:03:16 PM »
No I change my fats too. For example Yesterday I kept carbs at 250 and fats at 50, today my carbs are at 100-120 and fats at 65-70. Also regarding cheats, if you're still pretty fat, keep it to one cheat meal a week because you don't want crazy insulin levels multiple times a day to lose weight, if you're pretty lean you can have a whole cheat day but don't binge and stuff yourself to the point where you can't move and you can handle those crazy insulin levels through the day.

Right but do your calories change on those days or is that constant?

Yeah i mean ill eat a pizza one night but earlier that day ill barely hit 800 cals total. Not sure how much a large pizza is cal wise, but yeah...maybe 2k total?

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 06:31:43 PM »
Right but do your calories change on those days or is that constant?

Yeah i mean ill eat a pizza one night but earlier that day ill barely hit 800 cals total. Not sure how much a large pizza is cal wise, but yeah...maybe 2k total?

yes I keep the calories constant that's why when I drop the carbs lower I make fats higher to end up equaling the same amount of calories. I use myfitnesspal on the iPhone you can download it for free it's amazing to help you track calories