Author Topic: fat vs carbohydrate  (Read 6119 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
fat vs carbohydrate
« on: April 20, 2015, 07:15:37 AM »
While high protein diets are popular, many people have a strong preference for either fats or carbohydrates.  Do you try to exclude one or the other, keep them balanced, or not give the subject any thought?

I'm particularly interested in hearing the reasons from those who advocate no or very low carb diets.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: fat vs carbohydrate
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:53 AM »
After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that I was pretty carb-sensitive, so I drop weight faster on carb restricted diets than on fat-restricted diets. That said, my body seems to adjust quickly to any homeostasis (no homo), so I have been doing a version of carb cycling with some high(er) carb days and some almost pure zero carb days. The diet tracks to my training efforts so that in theory the carb fuel will be there when I need it.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
I keep my protein high and my fats/carbs fairly moderate to low. If I'm cutting, I'll lower them further but try to mantain my protein intake.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »
I like to keep the body guessing.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:54:52 AM »
I would keep in carbs, you still get fats from meat sources, wiping out carbs=me looking sick, weak and I know enough to never do that again.
?

Competitor 9

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:20:55 AM »
After a lot of experimentation, I discovered that I was pretty carb-sensitive, so I drop weight faster on carb restricted diets than on fat-restricted diets. That said, my body seems to adjust quickly to any homeostasis (no homo), so I have been doing a version of carb cycling with some high(er) carb days and some almost pure zero carb days. The diet tracks to my training efforts so that in theory the carb fuel will be there when I need it.
This is pretty much exactly the same for me

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
I like to keep the body guessing.

I like to go to the gym telling myself I'm going to have a great leg day, but only bench press when I get in, sick gains.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
This is pretty much exactly the same for me

And yet, you look so much fucking better than I do... >:(

Today is a zero carb day and a rest day, which is good because I get kinda zonked out on zero carb days.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:19:39 AM »
What does 'carb sensitivity' mean, and how did you discover yourself to be 'carb sensitive'?

Is anyone 'fat sensitive'?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
What does 'carb sensitivity' mean, and how did you discover yourself to be 'carb sensitive'?

Is anyone 'fat sensitive'?

For me, it basically means that I gain/drop weight more quickly when add/taking away carbs than I SEEM to when add/taking away fats (cue TA coming in and calling all of this "bro-science bullshit"). I can drop weight at will by just restricting carbs. I also seem to feel heavy carb days in an almost "hangover" the day after with hunger pangs.

Now, I haven't done perfect studies where I made sure to control for calories (knowing that fat energy density is more than 2x over carbs). It's entirely possible that I became much more "carb sensitive" when I actually started counting my carbs and never really knew how many carbs I was taking in prior and I am extrapolating my bad data into a full-fledged bro-science opinion. I do factor that in as much as I can, though.

I am not finished with my experimentation, that's for sure. I still try various things for a while. Isn't it relatively accepted that some folks are more sensitive to carbs than others?

lilhawk1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:35:58 AM »
Anyone will drop fat/ weight quickly by restricting carbs, or going low carb.  The problem is you're going to lose muscle as well as end up looking flat and stringy by restricting carbs too much.  Higher carb, moderate to high protein, and low fat is the way to go imo.  Feeling flat, or small while dieting is normal, but you shouldn't be a string bean either.  A good measure of whether or not you're losing mass is where your strength levels are at.  If you're losing strength, the muscle will follow.  Strength should not take a drastic hit while dieting, other than the last couple weeks. 

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:45 AM »
Anyone will drop fat/ weight quickly by restricting carbs, or going low carb.  The problem is you're going to lose muscle as well as end up looking flat and stringy by restricting carbs too much.  Higher carb, moderate to high protein, and low fat is the way to go imo.  Feeling flat, or small while dieting is normal, but you shouldn't be a string bean either.  A good measure of whether or not you're losing mass is where your strength levels are at.  If you're losing strength, the muscle will follow.  Strength should not take a drastic hit while dieting, other than the last couple weeks. 

nice theory, but the only way strength is kept if kept, it to up the dose of everything. By overtraining (what you have to do) sleeping like shit, undereating, strength is never gained. I see guys say this all the time strength will be kept, yet I know in real life it's not true.

Just something people like to say....

I guess this is where the "prep coaches" come in, lol...
?

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 11:08:32 AM »
I like to go to the gym telling myself I'm going to have a great leg day, but only bench press when I get in, sick gains.

This is the kind of advanced technique I'm talking about.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:09:47 AM »
I've found that I'm In n Out sensitive.  If I don't eat it I lose weight.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:01 AM »
I've found that I'm In n Out sensitive.  If I don't eat it I lose weight.

I'm Bi-Sexual. If I can't get it, I bi it.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 12:04:02 PM »
I like to keep carbs moderate (150-250) when cutting and depending on how high my carbs are that day I keep my fats pretty low to medium (50-70)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:47 PM »
For me, it basically means that I gain/drop weight more quickly when add/taking away carbs than I SEEM to when add/taking away fats (cue TA coming in and calling all of this "bro-science bullshit"). I can drop weight at will by just restricting carbs. I also seem to feel heavy carb days in an almost "hangover" the day after with hunger pangs.

Now, I haven't done perfect studies where I made sure to control for calories (knowing that fat energy density is more than 2x over carbs). It's entirely possible that I became much more "carb sensitive" when I actually started counting my carbs and never really knew how many carbs I was taking in prior and I am extrapolating my bad data into a full-fledged bro-science opinion. I do factor that in as much as I can, though.

I am not finished with my experimentation, that's for sure. I still try various things for a while. Isn't it relatively accepted that some folks are more sensitive to carbs than others?

Good post, and 'yes' to your last question, though I'm not sure why.  I think I might be 'carb sensitive' in that carbs are far more satisfying than fats... Lolz.  I've started paying more attention to the way foods affect me, trying lots of experiments of my own.

So far, carbs seem to have some interesting affects compared to fats, that's the only thing I've discovered.  I consistently feel high / guilty after carb heavy meals, not so after fatty meals...

Fatty meals of equal caloric content never seem to be nearly as filling.  E.g.  eggs vs pancakes.  I can eat far more calories in eggs and still not feel satisfied, at least in the short term.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »
So far, carbs seem to have some interesting affects compared to fats, that's the only thing I've discovered.  I consistently feel high / guilty after carb heavy meals, not so after fatty meals...

Very odd. I have also experienced this. I just always chalked it up to the euphoria of the food and the associated guilt of "breaking" a diet (even though it was planned). I also just figured I was being a giant pussy and stuffed it down.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 05:28:32 PM »
Very odd. I have also experienced this. I just always chalked it up to the euphoria of the food and the associated guilt of "breaking" a diet (even though it was planned). I also just figured I was being a giant pussy and stuffed it down.

I think the euphoria might be caused by a spike in blood glucose levels.  I remember gal talking about this, but I don't know much about it.

Also, if I eat a lot of fat, say over 1000 calories worth, my stomach suddenly feels painfully full.  However, I think I can eat at least 2x the amount of carbs, if not more, before a similar feeling comes on.  Carbs seem to have a more noticeable effect in small quantities, and stimulate a seemingly endless appetite for more.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 11:53:55 PM »
While high protein diets are popular, many people have a strong preference for either fats or carbohydrates.  Do you try to exclude one or the other, keep them balanced, or not give the subject any thought?

I'm particularly interested in hearing the reasons from those who advocate no or very low carb diets.
Who gives a shit either way.  Just eat whatever foods you enjoy.  Why all this picking and choosing and limiting?  ???

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 02:25:45 AM »

AJ, but did u ever look at calorie count while eating low carb? My guess is that total cals were less than normal carb eating and that is what counts for the fat loss. For me i can easily eat over my limit of fats and pro so Even low carb i have to count and my baseline or maintenence seems to get lower as i get older. Really anything over 2200 and i get fatter, and im 200lbs around 13% bf.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
carbs through morning and day of work and before workout  then at night not much carbs. mosly protein and fats.

carbs is just fuel for performance, both mental and physical.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »
Who gives a shit either way.  Just eat whatever foods you enjoy.  Why all this picking and choosing and limiting?  ???

Because what I can enjoy depends on what I believe, and what I believe constantly changes as I experience new things and hear new stories.

I agree with your ideas, I'm just curious about other ideas ad well.   Some of my recent experiences have made me very interested in the effects of different foods.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:55 AM »
For me...

Carbs pros: More strength, pump, muscle fullness, better mental focus.  

Carbs cons: Water retention/bloofy, bloated gut feeling, farts.

Fat pros: Little/no water retention, no stomach bloat, no gas.

Fat cons: Flatter muscles, less pump during workouts, felt sick after hard workouts... especially legs.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 11:04:46 AM »
Because what I can enjoy depends on what I believe, and what I believe constantly changes as I experience new things and hear new stories.

I agree with your ideas, I'm just curious about other ideas ad well.   Some of my recent experiences have made me very interested in the effects of different foods.
Its not going to matter one bit.  Might as well play connect four on an endless loop.