Author Topic: Growing up on GetBig...  (Read 4313 times)

dave19

• Getbig III
Growing up on GetBig...
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
Anyone else who feels like he kind of grew up with GetBig at his side?

When I started visiting GetBig I was around 17 and back then I was coming here
mostly for bodybuilding related information... the gossip about the pros, the truth about
the massive drug abuse going on, contest coverage. I was feeling pretty mature at that time
like most teenagers do but obviously was still a child.

Now 10 years later I come here for general entertainment because GetBig is one of the most
versatile boards that I know of and I'm still or yet again feeling pretty mature although I realize
that in 10 years from now maybe when I read this posting again I will probably feel different about it.

What really concerns me now is the fact that the internet never forgets but still people are sharing all kinds of
personal information with everyone else on social media, youtube and so on. Especially the younger generations
don't seem to mind this at all - my younger sister has been putting all sorts of really private info on the net since
she's been 10 years old or so and I wonder what she will feel about it when she turns 30 or 40. Maybe she'll laugh
about it or think it's interesting to see the changes she's gone through the years but there will most likely be things
that she will regret.

When I watch an older movie I often realize how much the internet has changed our world and society in ways that
nobody could have predicted... even Bill Gates thought that the internet was just a hype while now most people
carry around a smartphone everywhere they go which is more powerful than some NASA supercomputer from the 70s.

It is a serious development that I observe closely and I'm wondering where it might lead.

By the way I think this account has to be in the top 10 of lowest average post count per day not counting inactive accounts.

Anyway this was just some thought I had this morning when I saw a few kids on their way to school and instead of talking to each other they were
just looking at their smartphones, maybe you guys don't think about this at all or think I'm starting to become one of those "Everything was better in the old days"-guys
at the tender age of 27 but I honestly feel that the internet is the invention with the biggest influence on our lifes in the last 50 years or more.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Growing up on GetBig...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
Fuck off

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »
Maybe those kids on the smartphones are already posting on getbig?

But seriously, I can't stand seeing kids on those phones. Little snots got better cell phones than me, lol...
?

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 11:59:41 PM »
alot of the slangs ive learned on getbig... people think im weird and perverted... but i guess im just vulgar and up front due to getbig since my early years.. if it wasnt for getbig... id probably be married by now... lol
real men= no rubbers

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:07:59 AM »
How old is your sister now?

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:12:27 AM »
P

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:24:21 AM »
not so much about growing up but growing, this is getbig

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 05:33:19 AM »

mostly for bodybuilding related information... the gossip about the pros, the truth about
the massive drug abuse going on, contest coverage. I was feeling pretty mature at that time

Now 10 years later I come here for general entertainment because GetBig is one of the most
versatile boards that I know of and I'm still or yet again feeling pretty mature although I realize
that in 10 years from now maybe when I read this posting again I will probably feel different about it.

What really concerns me now is the fact that the internet never forgets but still people are sharing all kinds of
personal information with everyone else on social media, youtube and so on. Especially the younger generations
don't seem to mind this at all - my younger sister has been putting all sorts of really private info on the net since
she's been 10 years old or so and I wonder what she will feel about it when she turns 30 or 40. Maybe she'll laugh
about it or think it's interesting to see the changes she's gone through the years but there will most likely be things
that she will regret.

When I watch an older movie I often realize how much the internet has changed our world and society in ways that
nobody could have predicted... even Bill Gates thought that the internet was just a hype while now most people
carry around a smartphone everywhere they go which is more powerful than some NASA supercomputer from the 70s.

It is a serious development that I observe closely and I'm wondering where it might lead.

By the way I think this account has to be in the top 10 of lowest average post count per day not counting inactive accounts.

Anyway this was just some thought I had this morning when I saw a few kids on their way to school and instead of talking to each other they were
just looking at their smartphones, maybe you guys don't think about this at all or think I'm starting to become one of those "Everything was better in the old days"-guys
at the tender age of 27 but I honestly feel that the internet is the invention with the biggest influence on our lifes in the last 50 years or more.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 05:42:34 AM »

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:13 AM »
Eat a dick.

And die.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 07:22:11 AM »
Getbig is the father I didn't have.  It's the brother that left this world too soon.  Its the hot cousin that I want to have sex with even though it's wrong but would still do and post on getbig about.  It's the step mother that sneaks into my bed and furiously jerks me off asking me to cum on her tits and not say anything to my step dad.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 07:45:23 AM »
Getbig is the father I didn't have.  It's the brother that left this world too soon.  Its the hot cousin that I want to have sex with even though it's wrong but would still do and post on getbig about.  It's the step mother that sneaks into my bed and furiously jerks me off asking me to cum on her tits and not say anything to my step dad.

That's beautiful, but you forgot to tell the OP to fuck off and self immolate.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »
How old is your fucking sister I asked

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »
How old is your fucking sister I asked
;D

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
generation YOLO. future is none of their concern. untill they're in the future  ::) I see all these retards getting these stupid ass tatoos with cliche sayings and stupid motives with skulls and fishes even covering their necks and full sleeves? yeah that will be really cool 5 years from now when you're an adult... trash

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »
Without pics (of your sister) this thread is useless.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
Getbig taught me that there are only two Dubai, and that they are both in India.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »
Oh my god nobody fucking cares
Seriously we don't fucking care
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:34 AM »

that she will regret.

This is going to turn into an internet meme

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 10:37:15 AM »
Came here at age 18 now nearly 36, that's half my life. Its taught me a lot expecially as I came here as a boxing guy and was taught by good men like Mindspin and Pellius that da cage is where its at. Now im a MMA guru and I don't know how ii was ever into anything else. All thanks to getbig.com.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
A

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »
Came here at age 18 now nearly 36, that's half my life. Its taught me a lot expecially as I came here as a boxing guy and was taught by good men like Mindspin and Pellius that da cage is where its at. Now im a MMA guru and I don't know how ii was ever into anything else. All thanks to getbig.com.

I'm so hard right now

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 01:17:49 PM »

that she will regret.

Interesting read with some thoughtful stuff.

1. I was already in my 40's when get big and the internet was going full bore in the late 1990's.
I doubt I would have ever finished any degree, never mind grad school if getbig was around 20 years earlier LOL.

2. After regular interaction on getbig, I never competed again and my physique got a little fatter with each passing year.

3. I agree, the internet is the biggest cultural change since the automobile was first mass produced 100 yrs ago.
Young people are now tethered to their smart phones like it's a body part.

4. Get big is a great example of how social networking on the internet is a mile wide but an inch deep.
Numerous people interact together on the getbig forums , but most remain anonymous except for their screen name and avatar.
Being older, I always refused to do this. The truth is most don't even exist as their real self on the internet.
Having said that, gebig is a fun , entertaining forum. I'm older and will never understand why 99% post under some goofy fake ID.

Look at how people use Facebook now to catch up with "old friends". Plenty of superficial interaction, but rarely does it lead to talking on the phone or visiting in person.  I see lots of attention seeking selfies posted and trivial stuff posted, like pics of their lunch ...wtf?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 01:23:57 PM »
Before getbig I never fucked a fat chick, never ate only protein and fats, never injected steroids, never called a black a Hebrew, thought hard work is how you build muscle.

All of that changed.