Author Topic: Best guitar solo to end a song  (Read 24730 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Best guitar solo to end a song
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2015, 03:25:05 AM »
I have a friend that host's a radioshow in Denmark. Told him about the 'ghost guitarist' theory about Slash.
And next week I am probably going to be the 'expert' in a bit revolving it. Could use a little helt regarding the theoretical Stuff 😊

Well, shoot me a PM...

I don't wanna read all the B.S again about how "this is a bodybuilding board"

If U R serious... of course. Ask whatever.

People would actually be amazed at the ghost guitarists and singers.

Skid Row and Warrant were prime examples.

So many bands have had other guitarist do their shit in the studio, and they couldn't even come close to duplicity on stage... it was a "look" not a sound.

Having a ghost guitarist would be very easy for A LOT OF "PLAYERS" .... so EZ. 99% of the audience wouldn't know.

We aren't talking EVH or SRV or Vai quality here. Talking "run of the mill" guitarists that just fit equally in a band. No virtuoso shit like Yngwie.. etc.

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2015, 03:30:23 AM »
Well, shoot me a PM...

I don't wanna read all the B.S again about how "this is a bodybuilding board"

If U R serious... of course. Ask whatever.

So many bands have had other guitarist do their shit in the studio, and they couldn't even come close to duplicity on stage... it was a "look" not a sound.

Having a ghost guitarist would be very easy for A LOT OF "PLAYERS" .... so EZ. 99% of the audience wouldn't know.

We aren't talking EVH or SRV or Vai quality here. Talking "run of the mill" guitarists that just fit equally in a band. No virtuoso shit like Yngwie.. etc.
Thanks a lot, Will do that. Currently on vacation on The Faroe Islands, Reading Bout ghost guitarists.

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2015, 03:41:52 AM »

Post it here, would like to read. I suppose it's a very common thing, but don't know any confirmed facts of famous bands cheating.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:59 AM »

Jerry Lewis was a great drummer... and Buddy Rich was probably the best drummer of all time... let's put it this way: He was what Hendrix is to guitar playing. He started it all...

Buddy was my first drum hero - saw him live towards the end in the 80s.  Unbelievably powerful player.  Kicked hard right up until the end of his life.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2015, 04:37:35 AM »
Post it here, would like to read. I suppose it's a very common thing, but don't know any confirmed facts of famous bands cheating.
Would love to see it also. Please post it.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
Would love to see it also. Please post it.

He did. Think it's one page back.

I can hear a little of the similarity... well, a lot.. just in the intro. I dunno man, not enuff to sue over. Maybe some royalties? Hard to say

I mean, how many famous songs have we heard that sound like other artist's were heavily influenced by them? They don't make a stink.

This has "we are old and need money" written all over it.

Jimmy definitely put a big twist on that intro by not only dropping 3 notes consecutively, but also raising 3 notes on an adjacent string consecutively. These guys did not. They dropped the 3 notes, but the melody stayed the same.

It starts to go off in a slightly similar direction, but it really is not the same, especially if the judge listening is NOT a musician, he's not gonna hear it, he's gonna laugh and call it "frivolous"

How many bands out there copied AC/DC and SRV almost to the "T?" ... they considered it flattery, not a legality. Def Leppard was accused of sounding like AC/DC as were Cinderella, and they admitted AC/DC was their inspiration.

Shit, mine is EVH... so original songs I write are gonna sound like Ed at some point...

Maybe I just need to be famous... yeah, that's the ticket.

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2015, 08:59:44 AM »
He did.

Similarities is other thing.
I thought you were talking about parts recorded by studio musicians, but credited to someone famous, like that story with Slash at first page of the thread.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2015, 09:32:37 AM »
Well, there is no guitar solo in that song... great tune, but...

I always like some kind of definitive solo, even if it's just a few identifying notes.

Very mellow tune. Could drive to it. Suppose a movie could end to it...

Not really my cup of tea, but hey, I love music. He's good.

Remix has no solo but the original version has a killer one starting off with some 8 finger tapping. Rocky George was one of my favs back in the day. Original version starts rockin' at about 3 min in with the solo a min or 2 afterward.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2015, 09:34:31 AM »
Remix has no solo but the original version has a killer one starting off with some 8 finger tapping. Rocky George was one of my favs back in the day. Original version starts rockin' at about 3 min in with the solo a min or 2 after.

I remember watching them back in the day on metal hammer tv

looked like gang bangers

guitarist was phenomenal technical as fuck with very melodic phrasing

and awesome tapping
T

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2015, 10:36:13 AM »
tom morello...1st rage against machine was awesome..

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2015, 02:39:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.

As a drummer I often get many peeps who tell me Tommy Lee or Travis Barker are in their eyes the most amazing players which makes me cringe.  I understand that to a non drummer these guys are probably the be all/end all.
What do you think of Mike Portnoy? Great or show off?

As far as outro solos go.
I am sure that Steve Rothery of Marillion has great ones. For the life of it I just can't remember any outro ones right now.
Forgottens Sons and Grendel end pretty much in a solo?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2015, 03:29:54 PM »

I lived in So Cal for 15 years... sorry, but it's not the type of thing that is written about.

I can tell you this, if you are a musician, you can listen closely to the guitar solo's from ANY of their albums and then compare to live recordings.

We aren't talking mistakes, being fucked up... etc, etc, we are talking about technical ability that was non-existent.

I don't wanna start an arguement, and BTW, those bands are gone, not even TRYING to gig (like Ratt in Vegas lounges)... nothing.

We all knew what was going on because we were in Eddie Van Halen mode, Yngwie mode, Friedman mode, Vinnie Moore, etc, etc...

We saw these guys and heard them and what they were capable of.

I'll give you the best example: The outro from Warrant to "Heaven" ... perfect example of a particular studio guitarist.

If you want me to name-drop, I can do that a bit. You can read about it from there, but he won't be specific: Tommy Tedesco or even Jeff Baxter (who actually did play live with the Doobie Bros, but did a lot in the studio for multiple guitarists) Jeff Baxter also played solos for Steely Dan and the Eagles (in the studio)

Can't prove it, sorry.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2015, 07:37:41 PM »
I lived in So Cal for 15 years... sorry, but it's not the type of thing that is written about.

I can tell you this, if you are a musician, you can listen closely to the guitar solo's from ANY of their albums and then compare to live recordings.

We aren't talking mistakes, being fucked up... etc, etc, we are talking about technical ability that was non-existent.

I don't wanna start an arguement, and BTW, those bands are gone, not even TRYING to gig (like Ratt in Vegas lounges)... nothing.

We all knew what was going on because we were in Eddie Van Halen mode, Yngwie mode, Friedman mode, Vinnie Moore, etc, etc...

We saw these guys and heard them and what they were capable of.

I'll give you the best example: The outro from Warrant to "Heaven" ... perfect example of a particular studio guitarist.

If you want me to name-drop, I can do that a bit. You can read about it from there, but he won't be specific: Tommy Tedesco or even Jeff Baxter (who actually did play live with the Doobie Bros, but did a lot in the studio for multiple guitarists) Jeff Baxter also played solos for Steely Dan and the Eagles (in the studio)

Can't prove it, sorry.

Being a great guitarist,  what do you think of the outro of the Meat Puppets song Backwater Or Shine by Collective Soul?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2015, 08:22:44 PM »
Being a great guitarist,  what do you think of the outro of the Meat Puppets song Backwater Or Shine by Collective Soul?

I am what's called a "virtuoso" type of guitarist. A neanderthal. Archaic.

There was a day when all we did was 'wait' for the guitar solo. Those days are gone.

We are talking 80's "hairband" that type of shit. Scorpions (duel guitarists) Iron Maiden, Megadeth... all those, and then the single virtuosos like SRV, EV, Vai, even though AC/DC had two guitarists, really it was Angus doing all the lead playing (or a majority of it, his M
all of the virtuosos could be picked out of a crowd: Randy Rhoades, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jake E. Lee, Brad Gillis, Jeff Watson, Jeff Baxter, Joe Walsh... etc, etc.

That being said, Meat Puppets and Collective Soul are bands that are known for writing good songs. There is a lot to be said for that ability. For example; back in the day, a virtuoso guitarist would make the song to back his solo, as if the solo were the focal point. Many times the lead singer (vocalist) and the guitarist would be at odds for attention.. competition, as it were.

This wasn't always the case. There were great bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet who were all team-players. Their sound would only make it the way they did it.

So, in my long-winded summation (which you guys are used to by now) I am basically saying that there is a huge difference between song writing, and solo- backing.

If you could put the two together, well then, you would truly have a band that just might have what it takes... but of course, there is much more to it than that.

Some bands "had what it took" to make it... sort of. They wanted to be close to home, drug problems prevalent, couldn't travel with dope, didn't want to 'jones' out on the road, etc.

So, bands like the L.A. Guns stayed in Hollyweird. Oops... Hollywood.

Guns n Roses tried to do the road thing, but it takes its toll and it brought them back home and eventually disbanded them. The drugs... were just too much.

It makes you wonder about all the hype that went along with the Rolling Stones, who are still at it today. How can this be? Maybe all that hype about their drug usage was bullshit? Some of these guys have been going forever. Even bands that didnt make it so big but should have, for example; The New York Dolls, or Hanoi Rocks (Motley Crue and many others stole that "look" from them)... and Hanoi is still going today under the lead singer "Michael Monroe's" name. I just saw them in San Jose. Small venue, fantastic show. Mike seems clean and sober...

so, my point is this: These bands you mention are handling everything... still: Travel, songwriting, album making, getting along (don't even get started on the Aerosmith type drama).... these bands are so underrated because they didn't make a BIG BANG like everyone else did. Even Led Zep held on for a LONG LONG time... and how many albums? Like them or not, they withstood the test of time.

How about Lemmy Kilmeister? Ozzy Ozbourne? Do these guys ever say die?

I think not.

You gotta give kudos to these guys for more than just their great songs. They are bands that withstand the test of time.

Not many folks know this, but being a "rockstar' is probably about the most dangerous profession out there. Who woulda thunk it?

The drugs (death) the women (STD's, morality, broken marriages) the families (you never see your kids grow up) the travel (trust me, it takes it's toll, just like a long-distance trucker)... jet lag... on and on.. motels, shitty food, no sleep, your internal clock not having anything to reset itself.

Look how many "rockstars" have fallen by the wayside vs. the ones that are still here.

mad respect for the Meat Puppets. They still gig. Albeit on a smaller level, they are still truckin' along. They have a "cultish" fan base. Some folks give these bands kudos for not taking the "commercial" way out to stardom and fame. They stuck with what they loved even if it meant less money, worse traveling conditions, more time away, less sales.... they do it for their fans.

Being in a band to most people is considered a hobby. I'm talking "bar bands" who play "cover tunes" ... so many guys still have their "day jobs" (as do I)

Give Respect, get Respect.

If you like someone's music it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, right?

Did I just write a book?

Prolly...

Audioslave, NIN... so many great bands that just keep on truckin....

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
Looks like half my post was deleted. Oh well, rambling anyway...

Here's another example: The band "Nickelback"

It seems like most people either love the shit outta them or they just plain HATE on them.

Me? I don't really listen to them, nor do I really "like" them, but you know what?

They are a damn good band and they right some damn good songs. They may also write some that suck ...."I love the way you smack my ass..."

I can't listen to that shit, but I've heard some others that just kick ass.

Why is that? Most people are indifferent. How come some fans get so obsessed with the "love/hate' thing?

Reminds me of Mike Mentzer .. if I had to compare to bodybuilding. He was so dogmatic, but even today, on GB's front page, I guarantee there will still be some kind of question or reference to H.I.T training.

Am I right?

Love or Hate.

Don't know why.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2015, 11:16:21 PM »
What do you think of Mike Portnoy? Great or show off?

As far as outro solos go.
I am sure that Steve Rothery of Marillion has great ones. For the life of it I just can't remember any outro ones right now.
Forgottens Sons and Grendel end pretty much in a solo?

Watched Mike in 2.5 hour clinic front row of drum clinic in Portland ME in late 90s right after release of "Awake" cd.  Great command of odd times and powerful rock drummer but not one of my favorites.  He is definitely skilled player.  I tend to think he adds flash and silly stick twirling to add to his persona.  I find this pretty "gay" in the drumming world for lack of a better term.  However, it does add to a drummers's appeal to mainstream audience.  Sadly, drummers get more recognition for their stupid stunts (Tommy Lee's revolving drum kit, Barker's overly dramatic flailing, etc etc), than skillful playing.

Virgil Donati, Dennis Chambers, Simon Phillips, Benny Greb are a handful of modern era players who would embarrass most well known mainstream drummers.  Virgil in particular has pushed the instrument into a realm that few if any can come close to IMO.  I think Virgil is an individual who has harnessed his OCD for drum perfection in a way no other human being has come close to.  I'm not one for hero worship, Donati is simply from another planet.

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2018, 12:05:04 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Starts at 1:20  8)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »

One Note Samba

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
I love the last minute of this song. Schenker’s playing is just magic.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2018, 03:47:06 PM »
Meat Puppets “Backwater” is kind of a good one too. Not too complicated but nice and clean.

Edit: reading through the thread I already posted that.

Crossroads by Cream is also pretty bad ass.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:01 PM »
“Rosanna” by Toto.

Lukather is The Man.

warma

• Getbig II
  • !
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
 "expert technical player like CC"???  ;D What the hell you been smoking. 

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
“Rosanna” by Toto.

Lukather is The Man.

Yeah, he is.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2018, 02:18:37 AM »
Comfortably Numb... Not even anything close.

Great choice, Gilmore's amazing...

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
“Rosanna” by Toto.

Lukather is The Man.
Yes he is.