Author Topic: Best guitar solo to end a song  (Read 24400 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Best guitar solo to end a song
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 03:38:57 PM »
Doesn't Gilmour also use scalloped
fretboards?

Not that I know of... Yngwie, Ritchie Blackmore... Steve Vai's Jem7MV (which I have with "Flo" designed Fernandes Sustainer) has the highest frets scalloped.

I've never really liked the feel. The only thing cool to me is that if you push down towards the neck, the pitch changes a bit, so you can develop your own signature style tremelo... like Vai does, which BTW, is mostly for looks. He does this circular thing (which I also do in the Pink Floyd vid) but it really can't be heard.

When I talked to Steve years ago at a NAMM show in Anaheim (long before his DLR days) he said it was mostly for looks. Steve is a very "Visual" and technical player combined.

His Astoria vid is insane with visuals.

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
My friend in my old band still  has the sea foam green Jem with the
grab handle....says he will never sell it..

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
Yeah, I got a chuckle out of that one.

Back in the day it was rumored that his crappy solos were played by a studio musician and they were still crappy.

re: the original q -

Freebird, Sultans of Swing and Hotel California have great outro solos if you're talking classic rock, specifically.

Mr. Crowley and Tonight by Randy Rhoads have great outro solos if you're talking classic metal.

I actually thought about putting Freebird at 3 or 4.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 05:06:18 PM »
Iron Maiden.. Wasted Years ..

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=TmAnjlQbRSE

Get rid of the 's' in https... that's all.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 05:26:26 PM »
hotel cali was probably the longest, toughest solo i've recently learned.  Took about a week of looping each night to have it memorized.  Standing applause about half the time when i play it live now.  people dont' see that much, and awesome climatic ending.

back in the day, i learned most of the Vinnie moore meltdown tape, using the book.  took months.  loved that stuff.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 06:25:34 PM »
some wicked play listen to some of the stuff on 'if u want blood u got it'live early ac/dc..'bad boy boogie'high voltage,whole lotta rosie,let there be rock..

R.A.M.

• Getbig IV
  • BOOM!! Take a Look at this hunk of Man.
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
STYX Crystal Ball

Qwert II

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »
Just 3 words: ULI JON ROTH

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 07:21:30 PM »
One guy, by himself, on-stage, with an electric guitar, entertaining a crowd, I'll take Rik Emmet over anybody:

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
One guy, by himself, on-stage, with an electric guitar, entertaining a crowd, I'll take Rik Emmet over anybody:

fight the good fight/lay it on the line/never surrender..guy jammed.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »
Take this with grain of salt, I'm drummer of 30+ years not guitarist......

I most enjoy listening to the playing of Vai (Passion & Warfare era), Thordendal (Meshuggah, chunky 8 string Ibanez sound) and Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom).  These are a few recording artists who I will go out of my way just to listen to their guitar parts.

I am in no way implying any of them are "greatest ever"....... But to a non guitar playing layperson I enjoy all of them immensely.

I mean no disrespect to the established great players....just curious what the Getbig guitarists' take is on these guys.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2015, 08:43:39 PM »
I always thought Jimmy Page's solo in Stairway To Heaven was fantastic.  A simple solo in minor pentatonic that just flows beautifully.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2015, 09:58:57 PM »
My friend in my old band still  has the sea foam green Jem with the
grab handle....says he will never sell it..

Yep. The "Monkey Grip" ... lol

I won't sell mine either. After installing the FSK101 it's worth over 3K... I'd be lucky to get 9 bills for it on Craigslist...

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2015, 10:01:47 PM »
I always thought Jimmy Page's solo in Stairway To Heaven was fantastic.  A simple solo in minor pentatonic that just flows beautifully.

And such a simple intro... that became the most famous guitar intro ever.

Raising one note and dropping another simultaneously... three times.

Then he was accused of stealing the song just recently. I dunno. I didn't follow that story too closely.

How could you steal "Stairway to Heaven?"

(Thought you were supposed to buy it)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2015, 10:04:30 PM »
Take this with grain of salt, I'm drummer of 30+ years not guitarist......

I most enjoy listening to the playing of Vai (Passion & Warfare era), Thordendal (Meshuggah, chunky 8 string Ibanez sound) and Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom).  These are a few recording artists who I will go out of my way just to listen to their guitar parts.

I am in no way implying any of them are "greatest ever"....... But to a non guitar playing layperson I enjoy all of them immensely.

I mean no disrespect to the established great players....just curious what the Getbig guitarists' take is on these guys.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: For the Love of God and Blue Powder are the best pieces Vai has ever done... (IMHO)

I have a little vinyl record that came out in the 80's that was inside of Guitar Player magazine... still got it, and that's where I heard "Blue Powder" ... it was almost as revolutionary as EVH's "Eruption" ... but not quite... as Ed had come first and Steve was picking up his licks...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 10:09:14 PM »
stairway intro was very much stolen.   listen to the original + seeing as they toured together first lol.  Totally stole that riff.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »
My JEM7MV "Flo" with Fernandes Sustainer in front, ME50 on the floor, Frenzel Tube Marshall/Fender Point-to-point handmade amp, Celestion cab... and monkey grip....

Before the Sustainer was installed...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 10:17:57 PM »
I love guitars, but when it comes to gigging, I don't bother with the les pauls anymore.  This one guitar does it all.  From naples ritz-carlton to down and dirty dive bars.   acoustic beauty/grace to metal in a fraction of a second.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 10:19:45 PM »
My screwed up version of Hotel Cali.... only practiced a few times. Joe Walsh is another great guitarist who doesn't have to think things out...

RocketSwitch625

• Getbig IV
  • Women fall all over me and Pumpster is FUGLY.
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2015, 11:45:12 PM »
Kiss the Day - Def Leppard:

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 12:21:16 AM »
I love guitars, but when it comes to gigging, I don't bother with the les pauls anymore.  This one guitar does it all.  From naples ritz-carlton to down and dirty dive bars.   acoustic beauty/grace to metal in a fraction of a second.

Looks too nice to gig with...

But then I feel that way about the JEM.... the JEM is very, very light... you have to really crank the deep end of the amp to get it right

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2015, 12:24:12 AM »
stairway intro was very much stolen.   listen to the original + seeing as they toured together first lol.  Totally stole that riff.

Like I said, I didn't follow the story. If you have a vid or recording it would be cool to listen to.

Who was the band that (supposedly) wrote it? I guess I could Google.

Stairway has to be the most known rock song in the world. I can't imagine anything coming of it in a court of law, but I'd love to hear the original band or.. whatever... whoever.. is sueing..

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2015, 12:24:45 AM »
man i totally agree.... that guitar work is haunting, full of emotion and soul...
Bullshit.  Just a basic scale modification run through an effects pedal, no talent whatsoever. Any high school kid could come up with something similar.
V

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2015, 12:31:00 AM »
hotel cali was probably the longest, toughest solo i've recently learned.  Took about a week of looping each night to have it memorized.  Standing applause about half the time when i play it live now.  people dont' see that much, and awesome climatic ending.

back in the day, i learned most of the Vinnie moore meltdown tape, using the book.  took months.  loved that stuff.

If I remember right, Vinnie love the Myxolydian mode... I remember hearing his diatonic runs. He was slick.. and accurate. I never tried to play his stuff but I liked it. Same with Becker. I liked it but never tried to play it.

My idol is Frank Gambale. He's just too far out there for me to ever come close...

He loves to play "outside" but it's his picking technique that is beyond me. Something like a consistent 3 up one down, or 1 up 3 down. He doesnt alternate pick or even sweep like most guys. Watch his picking hand. It's insane. Or just watch a tutorial on his picking.. it's like.. why bother? He's too good... Freddy Kreuger mofo