Author Topic: Vinny Galanti RE-SIGNS (as in sign again) with universal nutrition... 9th year  (Read 14196 times)

shrugman

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
check out his comments @ http://www.universalnutrition.com/features/piecesinplace.html
Putting the Pieces in Place
by Vinny Galanti
Up until the 2005 Nationals, I would start to prepare for a contest at 12 weeks out. But since I had not been competing consistently for the last few years, I decided that I would start my prep at 20 weeks out. It had been a while since I had actually trained in a “gym”. Since I own my own studio, I was training there. It had been a while since I had trained around anyone other than businessmen and housewives, and I thought that if I was going to compete in the Nationals, I had better get in a real gym and find myself a training partner that could train with me and get on the same schedule.
Our local gym, HealthStar, had been re-bought by one of its former owners, Mike Silva. Mike had revamped the gym, and had renamed it The Edge. I walked in one night back in May of '05, trying to get a feel for the new gym to see if it was a place in which I would feel comfortable training. Within five minutes I bumped into an old friend, Rich Schulman, who I used to see when I trained my personal training clientele a few years back at another gym. We both decided that we would train together that night and it actually was a great workout. Rich and I clicked right from the get go. Rich and I decided that since everybody does chest and biceps on Monday night, we would train shoulders and triceps on Monday, back and traps on Wednesday, chest and biceps on Friday, and leave legs for Saturday mornings.
Having a gym to train in and a training partner to train with, now I needed to get on my diet. At 20 weeks out, I was eating five meals a day all consisting of 80 grams of carbs and 40-60 grams of protein per meal, and I never counted how much fat I was taking in. I followed this until 12 weeks out. With an average of 400 grams of carbs a day, at 12 weeks out I started to slowly cut my carbs down, and kept my protein at a consistent 60 grams per meal. At 9 weeks out, my carb level was at a consistent 150 grams a day and whenever I would bring my carbs up higher, I would flatten out, look smooth and small. I couldn't understand what was going on. Why, when I would go past 150 grams of carbs, would I have a flat look and was not able to get a pump? At 38 years old, was my body working differently?
My old friend John recommended that I throw some fat into my diet, and at 8 weeks out I was eating six meals a day, all consisting of 60 grams of protein per meal--meals one, three, and five had one cup of rice for each meal with a protein, and meals two, four and six had either two tablespoons of natural peanut butter or a half a cup of raw natural almonds with a protein. It had been a while that I was this in tune with paying attention to my nutrition. It was enjoyable and tolerable, more so because I think I was really focused on the Nationals.
When Rich and I started training back in May, we clicked immediately. He knew exactly how and when to spot me. He knew when to force me to do a few extra reps, and he knew when to back off. We designed a workout that each month would be a completely different training style. In May, we just did basic old-fashioned training. In June, we added drop-sets. In July, we moved faster with supersets and sometimes giant sets. And, when August rolled around, we went back to the basics again, and stuck with heavy weight for eight to ten reps.
The four main supplements that I used throughout my training for the Nationals were all Universal products. They included Shock Therapy, (taken before each workout), Storm (taken after each workout), ZMA Pro (taken before bedtime each night), and Animal Pak (taken twice a day--one with meal one, and one with meal four).
At three weeks out, I warmed up at the NPC Gold's Classic in New Jersey. For this contest, I carb depleted Sunday through Wednesday, and on Thursday and Friday, I carbed up. On Wednesday night, I looked big, tight, and dry. And, when Saturday morning rolled around, I could not get a pump backstage. Although I looked decent, I didn't look as good as I did on Wednesday night. At this contest, I struck up a conversation with my buddy Dave about my diet and what I had been doing. Dave is a fellow NPC athlete who really knows his stuff. He recommended that I drop all of the carbs out of my diet and add fat to each meal with seven meals a day. He wanted me to try this and see how it would work for the upcoming East Coast Bodybuilding Championships the following week. Following this diet, in one week my body changed drastically. I entered the East Coast big, thick, ripped and very dry. I now learned what to do in order to peak for the Nationals. With Dave's advice, I continued his meal recommendations and was very happy with the outcome--a top five placing after not being consistent on the national level.
With my renewed interest in bodybuilding, and with a great training partner and training atmosphere plus Dave's advice on a mass program to add some quality size, I'm quite optimistic about my plans to enter the heavyweight class in the 2006.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Vinny Galanti resigns with universal nutrition... 9th year
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

It is truly nice to see a competitor and a supplement company work together for such a long time. See you at the Arnold...

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 03:55:48 PM »
It is truly nice to see a competitor and a supplement company work together for such a long time. See you at the Arnold...

Thanks Ron, stop by the Animal booth.....hey, now give me some BLUE stars....lol
ANIMAL

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:07:08 PM »
Just in case you were wondering....Dave who helped me, was Dave Palumbo.
ANIMAL

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 04:20:25 PM »
good stuff, Vinnie's got a great physique.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »
good read,vinny is great bber,one of the better more balanced bber's out their,people would kill just to walk around with his build and not even compete,good luck in your quest for the pro's,either way with your studio and supp endevor's,you've already won.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:25:29 PM »
Vinny G, Rich Jones, I dunno what it is, but it's nice to see athletes display dignity and really embrace the fans.  

hillbilly

• Getbig III
  • LOOK! the crazy cat is back and packing a gat!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »
Vinny G, Rich Jones, I dunno what it is, but it's nice to see athletes display dignity and really embrace the fans. 

So i take it neither of the above has threatened to kill u yet?

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »
Thanks Ron, stop by the Animal booth.....hey, now give me some BLUE stars....lol

i want mine too!
just push some weight!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 05:49:41 PM »
That Mr. Galanti is a class act and a fierce competitor. 
ditto

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 05:45:28 AM »
good read,vinny is great bber,one of the better more balanced bber's out their,people would kill just to walk around with his build and not even compete,good luck in your quest for the pro's,either way with your studio and supp endevor's,you've already won.

Thank bro
ANIMAL

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 04:32:01 PM »
...how can Vince NOT have blue stars, yet Steve Blechmen does?.....no sense.
Fix this, Ron!

....also, just a note...the title says "resigns".....a bit different from "re-signs"...whoops!...and I thought it was going to be bad news!

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »
...how can Vince NOT have blue stars, yet Steve Blechmen does?.....no sense.
Fix this, Ron!
....also, just a note...the title says "resigns".....a bit different from "re-signs"...whoops!...and I thought it was going to be bad news!

I dont have blue stars because i'm the rodney dangerfield of this board...lol
Everyone...thanks for the great feed back....and yes I RE-SIGNED, not RESIGNED from UNIVERSAL....lol

ANIMAL

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 07:49:51 PM »
Vinny is their new print promotion for mag's or are they staying with the same hardcore till ya puke approach with the squat dude.

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 02:06:15 AM »
Vinny is their new print promotion for mag's or are they staying with the same hardcore till ya puke approach with the squat dude.

I have no idea...we shall see at the Arnold this weekend, if they have new material.
I did a shoot with Brian Moss in November, and the shots came out real good..so, who knows?
ANIMAL

Da Freak

• Getbig IV
  • Get BIG! Or DIE trying!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2006, 03:41:56 AM »
Is this him?

looks good.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
I've noticed that the new Universal guy in the pics is different from the past.  It looks a lot like Newfoundland bodybuilder.....Frank McGrath?...trying to remember his name...the ads for Universal are great.  I personally like the "I'm not gonna puke...I'm not gonna puke" one.

I also liked the "shut the fuck up and train" untill they yanked it.

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 09:33:59 AM »
Is this him?

looks good.

Yes its me....that was right after the nationals last november. shot with brian moss -
ANIMAL

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
here's another one
ANIMAL

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
and another from stage