Author Topic: Cholestrol  (Read 5303 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
Cholestrol
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:36 PM »
Did a blood test and found out i have high cholestrol. Wtf? While I'm not an avid gymrat I do weights and jog often. Genetics probably plays a part in it as well since my parents have high chol. I was told to cut down on meat. Guess i'll have to double up on vegies. Maybe add some garlic pills...more cardio over strength training. Sure as hell dont want a doc putting me on medication.

Whadda ya folks think? Anyone else lowered their levels without medication?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: Cholestrol
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:14:27 AM »
Need to look at more than the total number. Ive always had very high cholesterol (found out when I was 18 (30 years ago) when it was near 300.
However, my "good" (HDL) was crazy high, which jacked up my total. Runs in my family as well. I tried for a long time to get it down (ate literally no red meat) all salads, chicken, etc.
I mean for 10+ years. To no avail, if its hereditary, your liver just produces more.

So when I hit 40, my Dr. put me on low dose simvastatin, and he was more concerned with my triglycerides (mine were over 200).

On the lowest dose statin, for almost 9 years, I'm under 200 total for cholesterol, I have no  liver issues (get checked every 6 months) and trigs are below 100, and my risk factor is very low.

So, get all your numbers, not just "total"...

My daughter is 20, weighs 100 lbs, and is very high (270), so yeah, runs in the family...

Normal triglyceride levels in the blood are less than 150mg per deciliter (mg/dL).

Borderline levels are between 150-200 mg/dL.

High levels of triglycerides (greater than 200 mg/dl) are associated with a increased risk of atherosclerosis and therefore coronary artery disease and stroke.

Extremely high triglyceride levels (greater than 500mg/dl) may cause pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas).

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
It's genetic for the most part. The medication for most cholestrol issues is mild.

8)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
Did a blood test and found out i have high cholestrol. Wtf? While I'm not an avid gymrat I do weights and jog often. Genetics probably plays a part in it as well since my parents have high chol. I was told to cut down on meat. Guess i'll have to double up on vegies. Maybe add some garlic pills...more cardio over strength training. Sure as hell dont want a doc putting me on medication.

Whadda ya folks think? Anyone else lowered their levels without medication?

Nope. The doctor gave me a diet to follow and I did stick to it faithfully. When I had the next blood test for cholesterol, it had gone up. So much for diets. Their are some over the counter things you can take to try and lower you cholesterol, like Slo Niacin, Magnesium and CoQ-10. Go easy on the Niacin at first. Some people suffer flushing from it. Basically that's an allergic reaction. If that happens, stop using it. These days my cholesterol is great. I take all that I mentioned and Simvastatin with no side effects.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Red Yeast Rice 1200 mgs daily. Cholesterol .
T