Author Topic: Verne Gagne Passes....  (Read 1611 times)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Verne Gagne Passes....
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:25 PM »
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/04/28/wrestling-legend-verne-gagne-dies-at-age-89/21177411/

I spent around 4 to 5 hours sitting near Patera a couple of years back at the Strongman Dinner (AOBS), told me a lot of good stories about he and Flair living together while training under Gagne in Minnesota.
Crazy stuff... RIP Verne...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Verne Gagne Passes....
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »
Verne's promotion raised and hosted some of the best talent in professional wrestling. I think Vince Jr. lured more talent from the AWA than any other territory.

To me, Verne is a lot like Vince, in that lots of people feel very strongly one way or the other about him. Vince may have been a little more shrewd, and his MTV mentality took the business to the next level. But, Verne Gagne was a MAJOR player, whose role in the industry is undeniable.

Without the AWA, there may have never been a WWF, and the business may have dried up and gone the way of vaudeville.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
I love watching the old videos with Andre, Hulk and the rest of the guys during the AWA days.

The shoot videos where wrestlers talk about Verne during the territory days are always a good listen as well.

A true legend in the business. RIP.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:15:46 PM »
Verne ran a good territory and never had any complaints because he had the guys work a decent schedule and with good pay. They weren't zig zagging across the country like the then WWF. His only proble was he faild to get with the times and that is what ruined him.