Author Topic: Joe DeAngelis aau Mr. America has died 1966-2015 RIP  (Read 54860 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
Joe DeAngelis aau Mr. America has died 1966-2015 RIP
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:32:40 PM »
From Jerry Brainum

I just learned that my good friend, Joe DeAngelis has died from the effects of kidney failure.Joe, who won the Mr.America title in 1991 among many others, has had some serious health problems in recent years, but this still was very shocking and unexpected sad news to me. Joe was a great guy, very intelligent, and I will miss the great conversations I had with him. He had just started a new business, and had high hopes. This is very tragic. Still another "Iron brother" is gone. This is the hardest part of growing older--losing great friends.What is particularly heartbreaking about this is that I had just told Joe to stay healthy, since he would one day be reunited with his two sons, whom he dearly loved more than anything, but could not see because his ex-wife had taken them with her to Denmark. He hadn't seen them in years, but I could tell when he talked about them how much it hurt him that he wasn't allowed any contact with them. Now they will never see their dad, and never know just how much he loved and cared for them. Rest in peace, Joe, I'll miss you, my friend.

A

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
Re: RIP John DeAngelis.....MODS PLEASE PIN THIS
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:40:31 PM »
pip

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 07:43:13 PM »
Sad. 

denarii

• Getbig V

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Wasnt he trying to make a comeback?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 07:51:48 PM »
Damn, I don't even think he was 50

RIP

btw Vince his first name is Joe not John

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »

RIP

lmao

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:46 PM »
From Jerry Brainum

I just learned that my good friend, Joe DeAngelis has died from the effects of kidney failure.Joe, who won the Mr.America title in 1991 among many others, has had some serious health problems in recent years, but this still was very shocking and unexpected sad news to me. Joe was a great guy, very intelligent, and I will miss the great conversations I had with him. He had just started a new business, and had high hopes. This is very tragic. Still another "Iron brother" is gone. This is the hardest part of growing older--losing great friends.What is particularly heartbreaking about this is that I had just told Joe to stay healthy, since he would one day be reunited with his two sons, whom he dearly loved more than anything, but could not see because his ex-wife had taken them with her to Denmark. He hadn't seen them in years, but I could tell when he talked about them how much it hurt him that he wasn't allowed any contact with them. Now they will never see their dad, and never know just how much he loved and cared for them. Rest in peace, Joe, I'll miss you, my friend.

???

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
RIP.

Kidney failure again, wow.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »
At least we still have John Defendis

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2015, 08:01:13 PM »

RIP

Ouch ;D

PIP
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2015, 08:05:56 PM »
rip

BDsauce

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
PIP Beefyheavyweight

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: RIP Joe DeAngelis.....MODS PLEASE PIN THIS
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »
Advil

SquidVicious

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 08:45:52 PM »
Like a true soldier, he paved the way for Chick and Cutler to don fatigues and arouse middle aged men. RIP Joe.

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
I used to train at Joe's gym in NJ and he was one strong and pretty cool guy. He really was the bodybuilders bodybuilder. That said, he was also into his prescription meds and they made him batshit crazy over time. A friend of mine worked at that gym, and some of the stuff Joe said and did... Lets not go there and remember the good bits about him :)

PIP

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
I used to train at Joe's gym in NJ and he was one strong and pretty cool guy. He really was the bodybuilders bodybuilder. That said, he was also into his prescription meds and they made him batshit crazy over time. A friend of mine worked at that gym, and some of the stuff Joe said and did... Lets not go there and remember the good bits about him :)

PIP

As the kidney failure gets worse and the toxins continue to build up in the body, seizures and mental confusion can result. My wife suffers from both these symptoms. Awhile back she introduced me to one of her dialysis technicians. I've known her for several months, ever since my wife started dialysis at DaVita. Additionally when your kidneys aren't working right, you metabolize medications much more slowly, which can cause them to build up in your system thus magnifying the effects of the drugs. It can be a challenge to find the right dosage in these situations.

Joe might have been acting "bat shit crazy" because toxins and meds were building up in his body.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
RIP.

Kidney failure again, wow.

Hereditary

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 09:38:44 PM »

RIP

We all forget our good friends names from time to time. Sometimes I call my friend Robert, "Christina."
X

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »
As the kidney failure gets worse and the toxins continue to build up in the body, seizures and mental confusion can result. My wife suffers from both these symptoms. Awhile back she introduced me to one of her dialysis technicians. I've known her for several months, ever since my wife started dialysis at DaVita. Additionally when your kidneys aren't working right, you metabolize medications much more slowly, which can cause them to build up in your system thus magnifying the effects of the drugs. It can be a challenge to find the right dosage in these situations.

Joe might have been acting "bat shit crazy" because toxins and meds were building up in his body.

no he had alcohol and prescription drug issues. fact. although im sure the toxins played a part. my guess is just massive steroid abuse particularly orals. he used to powerlift as well. I once saw him power cleaning 315 like it was nothing, growling like an animal. he was very motivating to train around. I remember I was front squatting once, and I was warming up with just 95 on the bar and he comes up to me and asks how high im going to go and im like ' ahhh maybe 205 for good reps' and he was like ok cool and walks away. I ended up doing 225 for a solid 10 deep barefoot reps. I wasn't exactly the strongest guy at that place by any means, but having him around always gave you a few pounds and a few reps.

I remember another time I was ATG squatting for reps and had just finished 20 with 225. Joe walks in and immediately I feel like I ought to use more weight so I load up 255 and crank out 10 really fast, then I see him in the mirror looking at me occasionally while talking to someone else and I get another 12 hard grinding reps just because he was watching and I knew it. Then I racked the weight and collapsed for a good 5 minutes on the floor  ;D

Without a doubt the best workouts of my life were at that gym he ran. A real old school blood and guts type place with rusty dodgy equipment and heaps of 45 lb plates. Great gym though it went out of business and Joe ran off back to venice where I suppose he died trying to get a new gym going.. Too bad.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
no he had alcohol and prescription drug issues. fact. although im sure the toxins played a part. my guess is just massive steroid abuse particularly orals. he used to powerlift as well. I once saw him power cleaning 315 like it was nothing, growling like an animal. he was very motivating to train around. I remember I was front squatting once, and I was warming up with just 95 on the bar and he comes up to me and asks how high im going to go and im like ' ahhh maybe 205 for good reps' and he was like ok cool and walks away. I ended up doing 225 for a solid 10 deep barefoot reps. I wasn't exactly the strongest guy at that place by any means, but having him around always gave you a few pounds and a few reps.

I remember another time I was ATG squatting for reps and had just finished 20 with 225. Joe walks in and immediately I feel like I ought to use more weight so I load up 255 and crank out 10 really fast, then I see him in the mirror looking at me occasionally while talking to someone else and I get another 12 hard grinding reps just because he was watching and I knew it. Then I racked the weight and collapsed for a good 5 minutes on the floor  ;D

Without a doubt the best workouts of my life were at that gym he ran. A real old school blood and guts type place with rusty dodgy equipment and heaps of 45 lb plates. Great gym though it went out of business and Joe ran off back to venice where I suppose he died trying to get a new gym going.. Too bad.

What a great post. REminds me when I was younger and had eyes on me from certain people. Those dudes would always give me a tap on the shoulder for work well done. Got chills thinking of this now. They would hold me down on the leg press until I was done, lol... Talk about wanting to show people you had what it takes!!!

Now, gotta dig deep for self motivation as none is ever found by seeing advanced people.

RIP Joe, will always remember his pics in old mm2k mags.
?

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 11:06:09 PM »
Hereditary

Figured there's some sort of predisposition involved.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 11:32:02 PM »
http://musclememory.com/show.php?a=DeAngelis,+Joe

USA Nationals - NABBA, Junior, 1st
World Championships - NABBA, Junior, 1st

Mr North America - AAU, Medium, 1st
Mr North America - AAU, Overall Winner

Mr America - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st
Mr USA - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st
Mr USA - AAU, Overall Winner

Mr America - AAU, Overall Winner
Mr Universe - NABBA, Tall, 1st

Nationals - NPC, HeavyWeight, 15th

Universe - Pro - NABBA, 3rd

North American Championships - IFBB, HeavyWeight, 5th
USA Championships - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 6th

Nationals - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 11th

Los Angeles Championships - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 5th

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 11:39:03 PM »
http://musclememory.com/show.php?a=DeAngelis,+Joe

USA Nationals - NABBA, Junior, 1st
World Championships - NABBA, Junior, 1st

Mr North America - AAU, Medium, 1st
Mr North America - AAU, Overall Winner

Mr USA - AAU, Medium-Tall, 1st
Mr USA - AAU, Overall Winner

Mr America - AAU, Overall Winner
Mr Universe - NABBA, Tall, 1st

Nationals - NPC, HeavyWeight, 15th

North American Championships - IFBB, HeavyWeight, 5th
USA Championships - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 6th

Nationals - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 11th

Los Angeles Championships - NPC, Super-HeavyWeight, 5th

Hope it was worth it.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 11:41:57 PM »
I remember Chicherillo thought BEEFYHEAVYWEIGHT was Joe DeAngelis when he wrote about Tom Prince.

RIP