Author Topic: what's wrong with todays mags....???? [ caution rant]  (Read 8522 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
what's wrong with todays mags....???? [ caution rant]
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) plenty, they are 200-400 pages of mostly ads old mags had 66 to 90 pages and lots of content...profiles that were actually profiles and not ads put in as profiles... features like mr america training tips, barbells on campus and other articles of this nature. interesting pics and not the samr guys photoshopped and all drugged up to the gills...steroid guts ,gyno and on and on...
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: what's wrong with todays mags....???? [ caution rant]
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »
one of my sons buys them now and again but i have not bought a mag in years. Books i have but the mags are just Bullshit now. The training "Tips" are just Bollocks.

tom67

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 06:59:53 AM »
The last mag I bought was in 1972.  They had interesting articles about training and popular bodybuilders  and no drugs.  In 1997 my wife bought a new mag for me as I  started to train again after a long layoff.  I was shocked to read the nonsense articles and all the drug ads.  I  will mot buy another mag again.  I now reread the old issues.

Tom

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 07:10:12 AM »
The last mag I bought was in 1972.  They had interesting articles about training and popular bodybuilders  and no drugs.  In 1997 my wife bought a new mag for me as I  started to train again after a long layoff.  I was shocked to read the nonsense articles and all the drug ads.  I  will mot buy another mag again.  I now reread the old issues.

Tom
I understand they want to market products but some are just Fraudulent  ::) I get asked often by young guys what i think about supplements and such.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:21 AM »
Surely Howard has an opinion on this one. I bet he asked you to make this thread so he could comment as he knows he makes too many threads like this, lol!
?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
 ;D never see gyms like this again at universities, notre dame father lange's gym. third pic is nfler rock blier bench pressing...
F

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
Would be freaked the fuck out by that fat schmoe with no shirt on, what is the reason for that???
?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 09:57:32 AM »
hot as hell no A/C and no "workout clothes" back then. take your shirt off so it don't get smelly sweaty.
sept 10th APF

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
hot as hell no A/C and no "workout clothes" back then. take your shirt off so it don't get smelly sweaty.

Someone with a shape like that, does not work out. Just a top level schmoe.

If you get sweaty, that's ok, not supposed to stink. Why is that assumed, or is the smell part of what turns you on?
?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D   that's no schmoe that's father lange the keeper of notre dame's gym at the time...
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:45 AM »
I've trained in a few "raw" gym...no frills, no chrome, no radios blasting, few if any mirrors.........just basic iron and wood stuff. One of these places was a converted three car garage, which you entered from an alley, training there during high school.. Plus no heating or air condition. Some of the best workouts of my life have been in such places. Even worked out at a outside gym for awhile.

If your hardcore than it's not so much where you train, but how you train. A simple BB & DB can give minor miracles, where used with serious intent..and of course knowing what your doing..Add a chinning bar and dipping bar is like icing on a cake.  Some small gyms have home made power rack/cages and regular squat racks made of wood, not that uncommon. And if your a welder & fitter, so much the better, could make just about anything.

Far as the Mag's go, their just trying to sell you something, most of the stuff you really don't need. All about the big bucks, relying on how stupid some people are and will believe, and buy, just about anything.. All those articles, supposed written by the Pro's, may actually be ghost written by  only a half a dozen of guys in the industry. Who also write for any other BB'ing/fitness mag, for a paycheck. I've known a couple in the past.

Lifters and BB'ers, with experience, will usually get on the dark net/web for any of those helpful training boosters...nothing that the mag's run ad's for. Try Tor browser if ever wanting to explore the  web sites off limits to most.

Good Luck..  
F

Lunarr

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »
Muscle and Fitness is very thin now, and trying to look like Men's Health. The cover is always white too. Any news on more Legends mags?