Author Topic: A Jew And A Black Guy Walk Into A War  (Read 4303 times)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
A Jew And A Black Guy Walk Into A War
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
And 97 years later, they finally get the Medal Of Honor.  Took long enough to clean up racism

Long overdue: 2 WWI heroes to get Medal of Honor for courage

As night fell, U.S. Army Sgt. Henry Johnson found his observation post near Sainte-Menehould, France under siege by a dozen German soldiers.

He fought them off until he ran out of ammunition, then used his rifle as a club, before taking on the rest hand-to-hand, with his bolo knife, eventually sending the enemy troops fleeing. Help didn't arrive until morning, on May 16, 1918, when Johnson, a member of the all-black "Harlem Hellfighters" 369th Infantry Regiment, was found badly wounded and near death. Just 21 at the time, Johnson would survive another decade before succumbing to alcoholism, broke and estranged from his family, in an Illinois veteran's hospital.

“With the most utter disregard for his own safety, (Shemin) sprang from his position in his platoon trench, dashed out across the open in full sight of the Germans, who opened and maintained a furious burst of machine gun and rifle fire.”

- US Army Capt. Rupert Purdon

On June 2, Johnson will be recognized by President Obama with the Medal of Honor, nation's highest military award. Honored along with Johnson will be Sgt. William Shemin, a Jewish soldier who bolted from his platoon's trench and ran into heavy enemy fire to save a wounded comrade. The White House ceremony is part of an ongoing effort to honor soldiers who may have been passed over due to race or religion.

For years, Johnson's relatives, veterans and Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., have been pressing the case for Johnson, who also prevented badly injured fellow soldier Needham Roberts from being taken prisoner. Although Johnson was initially celebrated for his incredible bravery, receiving the Croix de Guerre with Gold Palm, one of the French military's highest honors, he faced racial discrimination upon his return to the U.S. and struggled with alcoholism, according to an account from the book "Torchbearers of Democracy: African American Soldiers in the World War I Era."

A similar campaign has long been in the works to award the Medal of Honor to Shemin. On Aug. 7, 1918, Shemin raced from the trench near Bazoches, France, and braved heavy fire in the open to rescue wounded comrades. In the ensuing hours and days, the 19-year-old soldier from New York took command of the platoon following the deaths of superior officers. He was shot in the head Aug. 9, but survived.

“With the most utter disregard for his own safety, [Shemin] sprang from his position in his platoon trench, dashed out across the open in full sight of the Germans, who opened and maintained a furious burst of machine gun and rifle fire,” according to one of Shemin’s superiors, Capt. Rupert Purdon, who later wrote in support of a Medal of Honor.

Shemin was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation’s second-highest military honor, but there was never an explanation of why he was denied the Medal of Honor. Shemin later earned a degree from Syracuse and started a greenhouse and nursery business in the Bronx. He died in 1973.

Shemin's daughter, Elsie Shemin-Roth, who was involved in the campaign to honor Shemin's actions, will accept the medal on  his behalf. Awarded personally be the presidemt, it was created in 1861 to recognize men who distinguished themselves "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity" in combat. There have been 3,469 Medals of Honor awarded to date, with the largest percentage given to veterans of the Civil War.
A

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: A Jew And A Black Guy Walk Into A War
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
Some bad ass mofos !!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »
A Jew and a Black guy walk into Jerusalem and the black guy says "hey, I was here first"

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »
Some bad ass mofos !!

Yea, even Teddy Roosevelt said that Henri "Black Death" Johnson was the bravest person he ever met.....that's got to carry some weight there.
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
And 97 years later, they finally get the Medal Of Honor.  Took long enough to clean up racism

Long overdue: 2 WWI heroes to get Medal of Honor for courage

As night fell, U.S. Army Sgt. Henry Johnson found his observation post near Sainte-Menehould, France under siege by a dozen German soldiers.

He fought them off until he ran out of ammunition, then used his rifle as a club, before taking on the rest hand-to-hand, with his bolo knife, eventually sending the enemy troops fleeing. Help didn't arrive until morning, on May 16, 1918, when Johnson, a member of the all-black "Harlem Hellfighters" 369th Infantry Regiment, was found badly wounded and near death. Just 21 at the time, Johnson would survive another decade before succumbing to alcoholism, broke and estranged from his family, in an Illinois veteran's hospital.

“With the most utter disregard for his own safety, (Shemin) sprang from his position in his platoon trench, dashed out across the open in full sight of the Germans, who opened and maintained a furious burst of machine gun and rifle fire.”

- US Army Capt. Rupert Purdon

On June 2, Johnson will be recognized by President Obama with the Medal of Honor, nation's highest military award. Honored along with Johnson will be Sgt. William Shemin, a Jewish soldier who bolted from his platoon's trench and ran into heavy enemy fire to save a wounded comrade. The White House ceremony is part of an ongoing effort to honor soldiers who may have been passed over due to race or religion.

For years, Johnson's relatives, veterans and Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., have been pressing the case for Johnson, who also prevented badly injured fellow soldier Needham Roberts from being taken prisoner. Although Johnson was initially celebrated for his incredible bravery, receiving the Croix de Guerre with Gold Palm, one of the French military's highest honors, he faced racial discrimination upon his return to the U.S. and struggled with alcoholism, according to an account from the book "Torchbearers of Democracy: African American Soldiers in the World War I Era."

A similar campaign has long been in the works to award the Medal of Honor to Shemin. On Aug. 7, 1918, Shemin raced from the trench near Bazoches, France, and braved heavy fire in the open to rescue wounded comrades. In the ensuing hours and days, the 19-year-old soldier from New York took command of the platoon following the deaths of superior officers. He was shot in the head Aug. 9, but survived.

“With the most utter disregard for his own safety, [Shemin] sprang from his position in his platoon trench, dashed out across the open in full sight of the Germans, who opened and maintained a furious burst of machine gun and rifle fire,” according to one of Shemin’s superiors, Capt. Rupert Purdon, who later wrote in support of a Medal of Honor.

Shemin was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation’s second-highest military honor, but there was never an explanation of why he was denied the Medal of Honor. Shemin later earned a degree from Syracuse and started a greenhouse and nursery business in the Bronx. He died in 1973.

Shemin's daughter, Elsie Shemin-Roth, who was involved in the campaign to honor Shemin's actions, will accept the medal on  his behalf. Awarded personally be the presidemt, it was created in 1861 to recognize men who distinguished themselves "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity" in combat. There have been 3,469 Medals of Honor awarded to date, with the largest percentage given to veterans of the Civil War.

Couldn't agree more. But we're square now, right?

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
Nice. Took long enough!

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »
A Jew and a Black guy walk into Jerusalem and the black guy says "hey, I was here first"

And (if we're to believe our own Genova-Wiggs)  the Jew sold the black guy into bondage.  ::)

As for the recipients of the CMH?  Well done and long overdue.  One race - human.

MANGOOS

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:44:53 PM »
We will get more of these "heros"

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
i only see one hebrew-wiggs

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »
i only see one hebrew-wiggs

Excuse Melvin. He's a functioning moron.

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 05:13:10 PM »
Excuse Melvin. He's a functioning moron.

Are the two of you still having that comp?

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 05:15:48 PM »

He fought them off until he ran out of ammunition, then used his rifle as a club, before taking on the rest hand-to-hand, with his bolo knife, eventually sending the enemy troops fleeing.

1 vs 12 , yeah right & he club them  ::) ::) ::)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
1 vs 12 , yeah right & he club them  ::) ::) ::)

I think the first indication of proof would be that pile of bodies that were around.   

But this drawing sums it up

A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 06:19:35 PM »

I think the first indication of proof would be that pile of bodies that were around.   

But this drawing sums it up

One bad dude.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
Well that's weird.

On the other hand, Basile can rest easy knowing blue stars are just a matter of time.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
Well that's weird.

On the other hand, Basile can rest easy knowing blue stars are just a matter of time.

His great-great-great-great grandthings will be very proud.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 01:40:07 PM »
His great-great-great-great grandthings will be very proud.

Ouch!!!   "...grandthings"... ;D ;D  Diet pop is everywhere!!!!

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2015, 04:01:51 PM »
Goes to show what kind of fight a desperate man might have in him.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 06:28:43 AM »
I love stories like this. One of the saddest parts of american history was how we would send black americans to war for white america and treat them like second class citizens when they came home. Stories of tuskegee guys in WW2 always make me tear up. Cant believe how awful these guys had it yet were fighting and dieing for the same people who hated them. Was really beyond fucked up. Even the movie Glory has me crying every time i watch it.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »
No, fuck this.  Quietly give the guy's family a medal if you want but don't make a press thing out of it, using him as some figurehead victim of injustice because modern America has race tensions.  That turns honoring the man into using the man.  Again.  As if the poor bastard didn't get used up enough in life, fighting a bullshit war, coming back to no help, drinking to forget until he finally expired.  He did his part already and then some.  If he could sit up and speak he'd probably ask to be left to rest in goddamn peace.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 04:08:09 PM »
I love stories like this. One of the saddest parts of american history was how we would send black americans to war for white america and treat them like second class citizens when they came home. Stories of tuskegee guys in WW2 always make me tear up. Cant believe how awful these guys had it yet were fighting and dieing for the same people who hated them. Was really beyond fucked up. 

+1

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 09:12:10 PM »
I love stories like this. One of the saddest parts of american history was how we would send black americans to war for white america and treat them like second class citizens when they came home. Stories of tuskegee guys in WW2 always make me tear up. Cant believe how awful these guys had it yet were fighting and dieing for the same people who hated them. Was really beyond fucked up. Even the movie Glory has me crying every time i watch it.

I didn't send anyone to war.  I didn't treat anyone differently.   As with Americans of Japanese descent, I did them no harm.  My own family is of Germanic background and some of them changed their name to be more "American" and to escape the hatred of other Americans for the Gerries/Krauts during WW2 but since they are YTs I suppose they're tale of woe is worthless?

Get over it.  I feel no guilt for anything anyone else has ever done to anyone.

Give this man his due in death that was due in life.  Honor him but don't dishonor the country further by apologizing for what others did to him.  Its over.  I have experienced plenty of "racism" from blacks, Asians, Samoans, Mexicans and other so-called  minorities.  In fact I have begun to think that this isn't "racism" at all.  Its just people being assholes and assholes come in many colors.

Again, give this man the honor due him.  Its time to celebrate what we have in common with one another and I will wager its far greater than the difference of skin color.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
I didn't send anyone to war.  I didn't treat anyone differently.   As with Americans of Japanese descent, I did them no harm.  My own family is of Germanic background and some of them changed their name to be more "American" and to escape the hatred of other Americans for the Gerries/Krauts during WW2 but since they are YTs I suppose they're tale of woe is worthless?

Get over it.  I feel no guilt for anything anyone else has ever done to anyone.

Give this man his due in death that was due in life.  Honor him but don't dishonor the country further by apologizing for what others did to him.  Its over.  I have experienced plenty of "racism" from blacks, Asians, Samoans, Mexicans and other so-called  minorities.  In fact I have begun to think that this isn't "racism" at all.  Its just people being assholes and assholes come in many colors.

Again, give this man the honor due him.  Its time to celebrate what we have in common with one another and I will wager its far greater than the difference of skin color.

I don't know where "guilt" came from, fuck that. Still feel pretty horrible, though, for a guy who serves his country in battle, then returns home to restaurants that won't serve him.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 02:51:34 AM »
I don't know where "guilt" came from, fuck that. Still feel pretty horrible, though, for a guy who serves his country in battle, then returns home to restaurants that won't serve him.

Missed opportunity, could've gone black rambo with his bolo knife, smh

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 04:15:37 AM »

Yeah i dont know what "the scott" is carrying on about with the "guilt" shit that neither of us even said but whatever :)

On a related note, my brother said that red Tails movie was utter shit (about the tuskegee). I was hoping it would be good but it apparently was absolute garbage.