Author Topic: Is Costco worth the membership price?  (Read 8537 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: Is Costco worth the membership price?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 12:18:09 PM »
I had the complete different experience with Costco tiresI bought. They rotate them for free for the life of the tire. If you get a flat they will fix it for free. They were always polite and fast. Maybe it's just a one store experience.

Costco is a great place to shop for various food. They also tempt you with stuff they change in inventory every month. I just stocked up with 2 pound bags of shock for my pool at $5.99.  I then went to Costco and they killed the competition with $2.00 bags of shock. Many times I find they have great deals from time to time. I saw a woman's hybrid bike for a little over $200. I priced the components and aluminum frame with different manufactures and they wanted over $400 for a similar bike.

The best deal is jewelry believe it or not. When you go to a regular jewelry store you know you are getting ripped off big time in the mark up. Buy a thousand dollar ring in Costco and get it appraised. Odds are it will appraise at twice the price. Don't tell them you got it at Costco because they won't appraise it correctly. Appraise something bought at a jewelry store for insurance purposes and they you will be shocked how you got ripped off.

If you're shopping for a family and know what's a good deal it's a great place to shop. The biggest thing is their return policy. You won't find that anywhere else. I saw someone return a cake with a big slice out of it saying they didn't like the taste of the filling and they gave the guy his money back. 

Costco had issues regarding being a gray market dealer on branded goods.  They buy things like Calvin Klein or brand name watches from third parties then sell it cheaper that the Brand does and they got all pissed off at them.  Costco is the fucking mafia of the grocery world.  They strong arm everyone.

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »
This is my biggest problem with Walmart. Kids running around screaming and walking zombies smashing carts into others in the lanes. I switched to shopping there at night and it only gets more hilarious. I never grocery shop in the morning as you get the old folks who pay in coins or do not know how to work a debit machine. They also want to use this cashier moment to tell what they will be doing all day. Self checkouts at grocery stores are usually busted half the time.

I've been going to Walmart the past few weeks after discovering they are 20% cheaper than my local and extremely nicer grocery store. Every cart has some sort of garbage in it. There's always kids under 6 years old lost and screaming for their mom. There's always a baby crying while the mom keeps pushing it in the stroller like she has earplugs in. And this is in Boca Raton which isn't a trashy shithole

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
Costco had issues regarding being a gray market dealer on branded goods.  They buy things like Calvin Klein or brand name watches from third parties then sell it cheaper that the Brand does and they got all pissed off at them.  Costco is the fucking mafia of the grocery world.  They strong arm everyone.

Yea, Target, Buy.com, Wayfair, Walmart, will literally lose money marking down stuff to put other companies out of business and violate their set pricing without any regard.  Its bad for customers because less competition means higher prices. 
A

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »
I've been going to Walmart the past few weeks after discovering they are 20% cheaper than my local and extremely nicer grocery store. Every cart has some sort of garbage in it. There's always kids under 6 years old lost and screaming for their mom. There's always a baby crying while the mom keeps pushing it in the stroller like she has earplugs in. And this is in Boca Raton which isn't a trashy shithole

I find walmart's meat to be extremely thinly sliced. Especially steaks.

Walmart has some awesome deals on fish at times, and the one I go to has the freshest buns in the bakery (damn she has a nice ass... and those ciabatta bread are good too). Once you head past grocery you get towards kids clothing and the electronics. Let the noise begin!

After what I've read in this thread I'm going to give Costco a shot. Can't hurt to have a year membership, as long as my savings yield what I paid.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 03:44:03 PM »
I find walmart's meat to be extremely thinly sliced. Especially steaks.

Walmart has some awesome deals on fish at times, and the one I go to has the freshest buns in the bakery (damn she has a nice ass... and those ciabatta bread are good too). Once you head past grocery you get towards kids clothing and the electronics. Let the noise begin!

After what I've read in this thread I'm going to give Costco a shot. Can't hurt to have a year membership, as long as my savings yield what I paid.

Yep Costco, where you'll go broke saving money.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 04:11:44 PM »
For one year it's $55. This membership includes a spouse/family member card too. So I can split the membership cost with someone.

So now we're at $27.50.

I've never been to Costco so I'm not sure how good the deals are.

What I mainly buy in bulk is:

Rice (8kg bags at walmart for $11)
Oats (@ 2 for $5 at walmart)
Pasta ($1 a bag, somewhere usually has it on sale)
Tuna (88 cents a can. I wait until its on sale and buy cases)

I do enjoy a few red bull cans a week and figured they sell that there. Costs $2 a can at the dollar store. This is where the savings may come in.

On another note, what are the benefits of a rice cooker as opposed to just boiling the stuff for 10 minutes in a pot? Just the convenience of turning it on and coming back to eat when its ready?

Any other big savings that Costco normally has? I get all supplements online for dirt cheap. So I won't be buying them there.

Executive memberships cost $110 at Costco, but they offer rewards in the form of a spendable check only good at Costco. My membership provides and American Express card. That will change in April of next year to a paired Costco/Visa since American Express and Costco couldn't come to an agreement this time around.

Costco tuna is excellent. Their supplements, such as DHEA are good products and can be delivered to your door, usually within a couple of days. You never know what you are getting when you buy from an online outlet.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 04:49:07 PM »
The only supps I buy online are bcaa's, creatine mono, and vitamins. Comes to like $50 for a half year supply. Doubt Costco can even beat that.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »
Errr.. so you need to subscribe in order to shop ??? (no Murican, yes European)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 04:59:00 PM »
The only supps I buy online are bcaa's, creatine mono, and vitamins. Comes to like $50 for a half year supply. Doubt Costco can even beat that.

Perhaps not, but you can pretty much trust that the products they sell are safe. That's not always the case with supplements and vitamins.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 10:18:48 PM »

Well, Costco like Walmart is violating the MAP pricing of Osaki which doesn't surprise me as I've been putting up with it for the past few years.  They already busted Wayfair and Walmart for it but pisses me off greatly.  

You mean you actively rig prices to be higher than they need to be?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 07:53:00 AM »
You mean you actively rig prices to be higher than they need to be?

Some items I can set my own price on as I own them and actively stock them...usually stuff I import from China.  However, brand name items cannot be.  I have to set them at the prices they want thus MAP pricing.  It prevents a brand from being cheapened.

A

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 08:23:53 AM »

Some items I can set my own price on as I own them and actively stock them...usually stuff I import from China.  However, brand name items cannot be.  I have to set them at the prices they want thus MAP pricing.  It prevents a brand from being cheapened.

you mean you just have a marketing website and someone else actually fulfills?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:24 AM »
you mean you just have a marketing website and someone else actually fulfills?

Nope, use Amazon for stocking, packing, and delivery.  Saves a ton of money
A

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »
Perhaps not, but you can pretty much trust that the products they sell are safe. That's not always the case with supplements and vitamins.

I buy from canadaprotein.ca. stuff seems pretty legit.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »
I buy from canadaprotein.ca. stuff seems pretty legit.

Very good quality and decent prices. The vanilla is my favorite of any company.
?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
For one year it's $55. This membership includes a spouse/family member card too. So I can split the membership cost with someone.

So now we're at $27.50.

I've never been to Costco so I'm not sure how good the deals are.

What I mainly buy in bulk is:

Rice (8kg bags at walmart for $11)
Oats (@ 2 for $5 at walmart)
Pasta ($1 a bag, somewhere usually has it on sale)
Tuna (88 cents a can. I wait until its on sale and buy cases)

I do enjoy a few red bull cans a week and figured they sell that there. Costs $2 a can at the dollar store. This is where the savings may come in.

On another note, what are the benefits of a rice cooker as opposed to just boiling the stuff for 10 minutes in a pot? Just the convenience of turning it on and coming back to eat when its ready?

Any other big savings that Costco normally has? I get all supplements online for dirt cheap. So I won't be buying them there.

Move back to Mom's basement and use her membership.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
Move back to Mom's basement and use her membership.

lol those were the days. I became a big boy and got a career. go figure. getting some nice paycheques changes ones perspective.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 09:38:50 PM »
Costco is good for large families.
T

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 10:37:20 PM »

Use a steamer.  Just a cheap one intended for the stove top.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 10:43:12 PM »
Its definitely a cool place to browse. I think the membership pays for itself, even if you only buy the standard stuff, such as toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, etc.
X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:35 AM »
Its definitely a cool place to browse. I think the membership pays for itself, even if you only buy the standard stuff, such as toilet paper, paper towels, toothpaste, etc.

Still retarded that you have to pay a membership fee. Why is this, to cover staff & electricity in case you don't buy a thing ???

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2015, 05:01:13 AM »
Still retarded that you have to pay a membership fee. Why is this, to cover staff & electricity in case you don't buy a thing ???

Not retarded at all. It helps keep the riffraff out. If they didn't do that, it would look more like a Walmart. The difference between customer demogrpahics are night and day.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:16 AM »
Not retarded at all. It helps keep the riffraff out. If they didn't do that, it would look more like a Walmart. The difference between customer demogrpahics are night and day.

This! Still some annoying snot nose,kids,runningq,around but hardq,to be worse thanq Wal-Mart.
?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »

OK that made sense. Being an European myself, I've never been in any of those stores, but I'm not a stranger to peopleofwalmart.com :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2015, 06:00:29 AM »
OK that made sense. Being an European myself, I've never been in any of those stores, but I'm not a stranger to peopleofwalmart.com :D

Walmart is disgusting.  Costco is awesome.  Big difference.
Y