Author Topic: Is Costco worth the membership price?  (Read 8560 times)

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
Is Costco worth the membership price?
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:28:45 AM »
For one year it's $55. This membership includes a spouse/family member card too. So I can split the membership cost with someone.

So now we're at $27.50.

I've never been to Costco so I'm not sure how good the deals are.

What I mainly buy in bulk is:

Rice (8kg bags at walmart for $11)
Oats (@ 2 for $5 at walmart)
Pasta ($1 a bag, somewhere usually has it on sale)
Tuna (88 cents a can. I wait until its on sale and buy cases)

I do enjoy a few red bull cans a week and figured they sell that there. Costs $2 a can at the dollar store. This is where the savings may come in.

On another note, what are the benefits of a rice cooker as opposed to just boiling the stuff for 10 minutes in a pot? Just the convenience of turning it on and coming back to eat when its ready?

Any other big savings that Costco normally has? I get all supplements online for dirt cheap. So I won't be buying them there.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Is Costco worth the membership price?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »
For one year it's $55. This membership includes a spouse/family member card too. So I can split the membership cost with someone.

So now we're at $27.50.

I've never been to Costco so I'm not sure how good the deals are.

What I mainly buy in bulk is:

Rice (8kg bags at walmart for $11)
Oats (@ 2 for $5 at walmart)
Pasta ($1 a bag, somewhere usually has it on sale)
Tuna (88 cents a can. I wait until its on sale and buy cases)

I do enjoy a few red bull cans a week and figured they sell that there. Costs $2 a can at the dollar store. This is where the savings may come in.

On another note, what are the benefits of a rice cooker as opposed to just boiling the stuff for 10 minutes in a pot? Just the convenience of turning it on and coming back to eat when its ready?

Any other big savings that Costco normally has? I get all supplements online for dirt cheap. So I won't be buying them there.

Toilet paper, paper towels, stuff like that.
X

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC č un asino
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »
I find it worth it:

A few things I routinely buy

Almond milk
Coconut Oil
Chia seeds
Almond butter
Spinach/Fruit
Frozen berries
Flank steak
Chicken
Contact solution
K-cup (good deal, but Amazon now better)
Cleaning supplies.
Booze
Y

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Toilet paper, paper towels, stuff like that.

How are the prices compared to Walmart? I'm no fucks given when it comes to sales. Limit 4 per person my ass. I'll buy 4 then take them to my car then go right back in for 4 more until I get how many I want.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 09:40:16 AM »
How are the prices compared to Walmart? I'm no fucks given when it comes to sales. Limit 4 per person my ass. I'll buy 4 then take them to my car then go right back in for 4 more until I get how many I want.

Um, I don't know. I think overall its a better bargain than Walmart, but never really compared prices and quantity.
X

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 09:40:59 AM »
In some cases it can be if you are buying non food products in bulk (cleaning products, etc.) or have few options besides that. I have four stores near me (target, Meijer, walmart, and Aldi's) so for me its not worth it as can get everything I routinely use cheaper via coupons/sales at those stores. The food I get can usually get significantly cheaper then costco.
I've went to costco twice to check it out a few years apart and each time decided it really wasn't worth it to us actually.
I would just go check it out and compare its prices to the the main products you buy from where you normally get them.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:43:23 AM »
my membership cost about $120 (VIP or some bullshit...)
got my refund of $90 from mastercard/costco
another $15 refund.

So it cost me $15 to shop there for a year.

No stupid music playing there, the line ups go fast, would not go anywhere else. just don't like the shit they put in the chicken thighs to keep fresh longer so I buy them elswhere. That stuff smells like fish and tastes weird.

The steaks are also way too fuckin' huge. C'mon... on average they weigh 400gr. Not good for consistent eating, but fun once in a while.

Anything under the costco brand is reliable taste and quality wise. Pretty much...

Even is Walmart was cheaper, I would not go. Total bunch of retarded very low grade humans that do there. Every 15 seconds they announce something on the PA and I go nuts there.
?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
Costco has the best deal for milk,cheese, eggs and bread that you can find anywhere.  These alone will return the cost of the membership in the year.  Costco has seasonal items that you can't buy anywhere else for awesome prices.  Also good deals on liquor.  For things like meat and chicken breasts I can find it cheaper at regular grocery stores when they have sales going on.
Tune is cheap at Costco and the cans are about twice the size of the cans you find at walmart or other stores.

One deal you can't beat is the $4.99 rotisserie chicken.  They are like mini turkeys.

Bananas are also a good price.  But if you are a savy shopper you can save on fruits and veg by going to stores like Sprouts.  I think for a single person Costco is probably not worth it.  For a family it can be.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:21 AM »
another $15 refund.

No stupid music playing there, the line ups go fast, would not go anywhere else. just don't like the shit they put in the chicken thighs to keep fresh longer so I buy them elswhere. That stuff smells like fish and tastes weird.

The steaks are also way too fuckin' huge. C'mon... on average they weigh 400gr. Not good for consistent eating, but fun once in a while.

Anything under the costco brand is reliable taste and quality wise. Pretty much...

Even is Walmart was cheaper, I would not go. Total bunch of retarded very low grade humans that do there. Every 15 seconds they announce something on the PA and I go nuts there.

This.  Our VIP refund always pays for the membership fee.  
a

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 09:51:32 AM »
Their meats are bulk discount kind of stuff, so if u care about animal welfare, organic, sustainable stuff, costco is not the best. They cater to people who dont care about if the meat is from modern agribusiness, which is fine as there is a market for it. i do buy some stuff from there just no fish or meat

Pneumothorax

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55:02 AM »
Costco has by far the best deal on fat free cooking spray.  Each bottle is almost triple a normal sized can and the double pack only costs $6 where I live.  Other things are usually cheap milk, good italian sausage.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »
Their meats are bulk discount kind of stuff, so if u care about animal welfare, organic, sustainable stuff, costco is not the best. They cater to people who dont care about if the meat is from modern agribusiness, which is fine as there is a market for it. i do buy some stuff from there just no fish or meat

they do have a few "bio" stuff now. But "bio" can mean so many things.  Free range can mean 5 min of being outside a day.
?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

Costco has tons of organic stuff nowadays. Chicken breast, milk, frozen fruits, and other snacks. They have really good 90/10 ground Bison in sealed packages, not just a bunch of beef in bulk.  It's really hurting stores like Whole Foods.

These are amazing

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »
Costco has tons of organic stuff nowadays. Chicken breast, milk, frozen fruits, and other snacks. It's really hurting stores like Whole Foods.

These are amazing

Nice ill have to check that out, thanks

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »
Prices suck at Costco here in Canada. I have a membership but don't buy much there.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 09:59:37 AM »
costco:
$1,999.99 After $500 OFF

Osaki OS-4000 Massage ChairOsaki OS-4000 Massage Chair
http://www.costco.com/Osaki-OS-4000-Massage-Chair.product.100089933.html

calbiershitness
Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Deluxe Massage Chair w/ $200 Dollar Instant Rebate
$2,895.00

http://www.caliberfitness.com/osaki-os-4000-zero-gravity-deluxe-massage-chair.html

$900 difference: priceless.

Svengoolie

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:00:38 AM »
They have the only Broccoli florettes that I like. That makes the membership worth it for me. But there are the other things that have been mentioned, like eggs and season stuff. I dont like going near the bakery section though. I always get tempted by the 15 krispy kremes for 5.99 or their huge $11 cheesecake.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 10:07:05 AM »
costco:
$1,999.99 After $500 OFF

calbiershitness
$2,895.00

http://www.caliberfitness.com/osaki-os-4000-zero-gravity-deluxe-massage-chair.html

Costco can't hope to compete with established market leaders like Caliber Fitness (the most innovative health and fitness company to ever exist) so they have to sell at rock bottom prices to sustain sales. It seems Costo will soon be acquired by Caliber Fitness, splitting the products between Caliber Fitness and Caliber Grocery. The powerful tycoon behind Caliber Fitness is already planning his next move after Costco..

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »
another $15 refund.

This, plus something nobody here has yet mentioned.  If you book a cruise or other vacation package through Costco Travel, they give you ship credit or hotel credit, FREE money to spend on your vacation, plus the cost of your booking increases your VIP refund.  So in the end, Costco is paying you top dollar to be a member.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 10:30:51 AM »
another $15 refund.

This is my biggest problem with Walmart. Kids running around screaming and walking zombies smashing carts into others in the lanes. I switched to shopping there at night and it only gets more hilarious. I never grocery shop in the morning as you get the old folks who pay in coins or do not know how to work a debit machine. They also want to use this cashier moment to tell what they will be doing all day. Self checkouts at grocery stores are usually busted half the time.

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
the savings on shopping on Oatmeal alone is worth the price

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
We have BJs and Sams here.  Basically the same thing under a different name.

Good for bulk items.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 11:29:35 AM »
The Costco Services suck shit.  I bought my Tires, decent price.  Noticed one tire was a little flat. Went into costo.  The guy came out and checked and found a nail in the tire.  I asked if he can fix it, he said to go inside and make an appt.  I go inside.  Waited in line for 25 minutes.  Told the guy my car was outside and had a nail.  He said the next apt was 3 days away.  Fucking asshole.  Said I can come first thing in the morning and wait in line.  I drove to discount tire and in 2 seconds they fixed my tire free of charge.  FUCK COSTCO TIRES.

Same with their other services like garage doors, carpets etc..  I got quotes from them and then other places.  The other places offered a better product at the same or cheaper price.  Costco has his handful of staple items that you can save on and try to sucker you on the rest.  They make $3 billion a year in membership fees, probably double now..  PURE FUCKING PROFIT. 

If you stick to certain items and ignore the rest you can save.  Just don't get suckered into buying a case of indian lentil soup

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 11:55:14 AM »
costco:
$1,999.99 After $500 OFF

calbiershitness
$2,895.00

Well, Costco like Walmart is violating the MAP pricing of Osaki which doesn't surprise me as I've been putting up with it for the past few years.  They already busted Wayfair and Walmart for it but pisses me off greatly.  
A

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
The Costco Services suck shit.  I bought my Tires, decent price.  Noticed one tire was a little flat. Went into costo.  The guy came out and checked and found a nail in the tire.  I asked if he can fix it, he said to go inside and make an appt.  I go inside.  Waited in line for 25 minutes.  Told the guy my car was outside and had a nail.  He said the next apt was 3 days away.  Fucking asshole.  Said I can come first thing in the morning and wait in line.  I drove to discount tire and in 2 seconds they fixed my tire free of charge.  FUCK COSTCO TIRES.

Same with their other services like garage doors, carpets etc..  I got quotes from them and then other places.  The other places offered a better product at the same or cheaper price.  Costco has his handful of staple items that you can save on and try to sucker you on the rest.  They make $3 billion a year in membership fees, probably double now..  PURE FUCKING PROFIT. 

If you stick to certain items and ignore the rest you can save.  Just don't get suckered into buying a case of indian lentil soup

I had the complete different experience with Costco tiresI bought. They rotate them for free for the life of the tire. If you get a flat they will fix it for free. They were always polite and fast. Maybe it's just a one store experience.

Costco is a great place to shop for various food. They also tempt you with stuff they change in inventory every month. I just stocked up with 2 pound bags of shock for my pool at $5.99.  I then went to Costco and they killed the competition with $2.00 bags of shock. Many times I find they have great deals from time to time. I saw a woman's hybrid bike for a little over $200. I priced the components and aluminum frame with different manufactures and they wanted over $400 for a similar bike.

The best deal is jewelry believe it or not. When you go to a regular jewelry store you know you are getting ripped off big time in the mark up. Buy a thousand dollar ring in Costco and get it appraised. Odds are it will appraise at twice the price. Don't tell them you got it at Costco because they won't appraise it correctly. Appraise something bought at a jewelry store for insurance purposes and they you will be shocked how you got ripped off.

If you're shopping for a family and know what's a good deal it's a great place to shop. The biggest thing is their return policy. You won't find that anywhere else. I saw someone return a cake with a big slice out of it saying they didn't like the taste of the filling and they gave the guy his money back.