Author Topic: Your "Go To's" When Dieting for a Show?  (Read 10701 times)

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
Re: Your "Go To's" When Dieting for a Show?
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
Dude,I predict that in Mens Physique or bodybuilding in your weight class,you will kick mucho ass.

Just stay focused and cross your T`s and dot your I`s.
thanks man, I honestly feel I can do it too, I just had to re-prioritize  things in my life, I've gotten a lot more serious about training, dieting, competing, since winning my last show, not boozing it up as much as I used too, staying low key on the ship, going to sleep early instead of partying all the time, I'm giving this a honest shot to see if I can take it to another level. Thanks for the encouragement and I know for sure I will be picking your brain regarding all kinds of stuff, hope you don't mind.
That's good to hear. You have to be flexible & creative, but it must be great to train in a variety of environments, esp when it comes to motivation.
yeah, it keeps things fresh, different environments, music, equipment, people...it's great, one of the gyms sponsors me, so when I train there it's very welcoming, the staff and owners are like family. My current situation is pretty sweet.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »
After trying all this stuff, I've found it easier to eat normal foods, just in smaller quantities, for the most part.

I still use some bodybuilding-style techniques:

- mixing defatted peanut butter with a small amount of regular nut butter.  This allows you to increase the volume of 'butter' without as many calories.  In other words, it allows you to experiment with balance:  too much protein or too much fat are each problematic:

Too much protein: unsatisfying
  Too much fat: too many calories

- sugar free jam is pretty good, like wes suggests.  They just take the sugar out of fruit, so it still has a lot of micro nutrients and fiber.  On the other hand, some sugar is good.  Again, I only use this to keep balance -- sugar-added jams have too much sugar in too little volume to be of much use to me -- NOT to replace fully a 'dirty food'.

- aspartame drinks:  I never FULLY eliminate these, but again, I'll opt for a real-sugar drink pre workout.  Keep consumption in moderation.

Beyond that, just moderate:

- keep everything on proportion, don't go overboard on any one nutrient or ingredient.

For example, I used to eat as much as 2-3 lbs of broccoli in one meal.  When I limit myself to one lb and then, say 1 lb of eggplant and asparagus as well, I'm much more satisfied.

At this point, I realized even 1/2 lb of each is more satisfying than 3 lbs of any one -- hence variety allows me to reduce the amount I eat and overall caloric intake, without increasing anxiety or hurting my physique.

Also, I've never dieted for a show but I'm always as lean as some guys who put up 'contest condition' pics, so take all this for what it's worth.  I speak from the perspective of someone who tries to achieve the best year-round physique only.
good stuff..thanks!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2015, 05:05:47 PM »
nice job g 4 it...good offseason look..

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2015, 05:56:35 PM »
nice job g 4 it...good offseason look..
thanks paisano!

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2015, 01:37:38 AM »
thanks man, I honestly feel I can do it too, I just had to re-prioritize  things in my life, I've gotten a lot more serious about training, dieting, competing, since winning my last show, not boozing it up as much as I used too, staying low key on the ship, going to sleep early instead of partying all the time, I'm giving this a honest shot to see if I can take it to another level. Thanks for the encouragement and I know for sure I will be picking your brain regarding all kinds of stuff, hope you don't mind.yeah, it keeps things fresh, different environments, music, equipment, people...it's great, one of the gyms sponsors me, so when I train there it's very welcoming, the staff and owners are like family. My current situation is pretty sweet.
Great attitude bro.........all or nothing.......you can`t go wrong thinking like that.

If I can offer any help,just let me know and I`ll do my best to advise you but I doubt you`ll need any advice.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2015, 03:40:46 AM »
Great attitude bro.........all or nothing.......you can`t go wrong thinking like that.

If I can offer any help,just let me know and I`ll do my best to advise you but I doubt you`ll need any advice.
You rock brother. .much appreciated#

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2015, 04:36:43 AM »

Looks exactly like my granite and backsplash in my kitchen (no homo)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2015, 04:47:55 AM »
I don't diet or compete, but I love chili paste on everything...

Love this stuff...

115 mgs of sodium per serving. That's a lot.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2015, 05:59:21 AM »
115 mgs of sodium per serving. That's a lot.
Are you concerned with sodium?  I know it plays a factor the last stage of the prep..but do you limit your sodium regularly. ..just curious, i feel it helps to actually keep it high while dieting. ..good pumps in the gym for instance.  Anybody else feel free to chime in..

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2015, 06:29:54 AM »
Are you concerned with sodium?  I know it plays a factor the last stage of the prep..but do you limit your sodium regularly. ..just curious, i feel it helps to actually keep it high while dieting. ..good pumps in the gym for instance.  Anybody else feel free to chime in..
Never done a contest but agree with what you say here. Don't really see too much of a need or reason to limit sodium in a general context for those who workout regularly.

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2015, 08:20:44 AM »
How many calories per day gofloorit?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

This gimmick is starting to work man! LIking it more and more!
?

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
not counting calories. .never have on any prep..i would say between 2200 and 2600 low carb days and hi carb days..estimated around 400 cals per meal 6 meals..somewhere in that range

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:01 AM »
Are you concerned with sodium?  I know it plays a factor the last stage of the prep..but do you limit your sodium regularly. ..just curious, i feel it helps to actually keep it high while dieting. ..good pumps in the gym for instance.  Anybody else feel free to chime in..

I think you have to be careful, since 1 week might be too short to get rid of all that water retention. This stuff can also screw your stomach, so not worth the risk. I would suggest to eat as neutral/pure as possible during the last 2 weeks.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »

I add copious amounts of salt to everything.  Used to have blood pressure problems (hereditary) but not since dropping weight.  Sodium intake doesn't seem to exacerbate them at all.

Interesting comment about pumps.  How did you notice the correlation?  Do you take some sodium filled food or drink pre-workout?  If so, what would you recommend?  Could always use a better pump...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »
not counting calories. .never have on any prep..i would say between 2200 and 2600 low carb days and hi carb days..estimated around 400 cals per meal 6 meals..somewhere in that range

I do something similar tho its more like 300 cals for 4 meals, then 1000 cals for my final meal.  Is it hard for you, mentally, to never get a big, satisfying meal?

Then again, I'm not thinking of contest prep, but a permanent diet.  I think 0 possibility for a big meal is the hardest part for me, but maybe I could do it for a few months.

Any 'cheat days'/'cheat meals'?

I have a cheat day every two weeks.  At least recently.  Working out well so far.  Epic binges, no loss in condition.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
I think you have to be careful, since 1 week might be too short to get rid of all that water retention. This stuff can also screw your stomach, so not worth the risk. I would suggest to eat as neutral/pure as possible during the last 2 weeks.
I completely agree
I add copious amounts of salt to everything.  Used to have blood pressure problems (hereditary) but not since dropping weight.  Sodium intake doesn't seem to exacerbate them at all.

Interesting comment about pumps.  How did you notice the correlation?  Do you take some sodium filled food or drink pre-workout?  If so, what would you recommend?  Could always use a better pump...
I never really had concerns with regards to sodium but my coach actually recommended me to salt all my foods, he said it will help keep water in the muscle especially while dieting, so I use sea salt or garlic salt on my meals and greens. And I just notice I don't seem to get flat, good pump in the gym, but obviously they'll be some manipulation the last week.
I do something similar tho its more like 300 cals for 4 meals, then 1000 cals for my final meal.  Is it hard for you, mentally, to never get a big, satisfying meal?

Then again, I'm not thinking of contest prep, but a permanent diet.  I think 0 possibility for a big meal is the hardest part for me, but maybe I could do it for a few months.

Any 'cheat days'/'cheat meals'? I have a cheat day every two weeks.  At least recently.  Working out well so far.  Epic binges, no loss in condition.
Not really the veggies help add some bulk to eat meal so it  keeps me satisfied. No cheat days, just reefed, when I up the carbs to around 500 grams but from clean sources (mainly rice, and a little fruit pre workout)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2015, 09:21:19 PM »
No cheat days, just reefed, when I up the carbs to around 500 grams but from clean sources (mainly rice, and a little fruit pre workout)

I always get confused when people say 'X grams' of carbs.  Do you mean 500 gram sof carbohydrate, the nutrient -- this would be 2000 calories! -- or 500 grams of a carbohydrate-laden food, like rice, potatoes, etc.?

Veggies are my go-to for upping meal size without upping the cals.  I only really have time (and kitchen space) to prepare them for my finalm eal though (for the most part), so my at-work meals tend to be quite small.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2015, 09:50:25 PM »
I always get confused when people say 'X grams' of carbs.  Do you mean 500 gram sof carbohydrate, the nutrient -- this would be 2000 calories! -- or 500 grams of a carbohydrate-laden food, like rice, potatoes, etc.?

Veggies are my go-to for upping meal size without upping the cals.  I only really have time (and kitchen space) to prepare them for my finalm eal though (for the most part), so my at-work meals tend to be quite small.
yes 500 grams from carbs mainly rice...but you drop the fat that do to zero, and the protein is also decreased, coming from only lean sources, so virtually you are getting the same amount of calories just shifting your macros.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2015, 10:35:00 AM »
Sneak peak of where im at..
delts look improved,,,

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2015, 04:57:51 PM »
delts look improved,,,
thanks buddy. .work in progress

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
I don't diet or compete, but I love chili paste on everything...

Love this stuff...

Same. Literally goes on everything.