Author Topic: 40 percent of unemployed have quit looking for jobs  (Read 2771 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: 40 percent of unemployed have quit looking for jobs
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 10:43:26 AM »
The last time I applied for a job, it was a different position at the company where I already worked. I updated my resume, provided references and was interviewed by a twelve person panel, twice. This was probably in the late 1990's. Someone younger was offered the position because as I was told, she had a lot of energy. I sued and I won the suit. It is not easy to prove age discrimination, but this was pretty blatant. I also got the last laugh because she was off sick more then she actually worked and finally had to quit work because of this before I retired....so much for her having more energy.  ;D

It is interesting that employers are asking potential employees to jump through so many hoops today to land a position. My guess is that until their are more jobs then applicants this will remain the case. This has already happened with some entry level jobs. Employers are so hard put to find employees to fill vacant positions, they are literally advertising for them with placards on the sidewalks.

Agreed.  It can be total hell if you don't hire correctly.  Best to try and make sure up front that you are getting the best qualified person.

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
Re: 40 percent of unemployed have quit looking for jobs
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 02:54:48 PM »
Who cares if the actual unemployment rate is 11%, labor participation is lower than its been in nearly 40 years, household net income is down, the amount of people on food stamps has nearly doubled in the last 6 years, many people who have become re-employed have gone from full time to part time, industrial production is down recently, and more companies are closing than opening up in the last half dozen years?

Gotta love that debt to GDP and the Fed needing to keep rates at zero for nearly 7 years too. The interest on that $18 trillion in debt and $100 trillion in unfunded liabilities will balloon rather nicely if the training wheels fully come off and rates are ever increased.
A