Author Topic: Tendon & Joint Soreness?  (Read 3864 times)

TheShape.

• Getbig V
Tendon & Joint Soreness?
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:38:49 PM »
Has anyone ever dealt with anything of the likes of tennis elbow? The past few months I've been noticing soreness around my tendon area from stupidly doing heavy triceps extensions (with good form though 10-12 reps), my triceps have grown like crazy but my joints have just been suffering. The soreness used to just happen on my left arm but today my right arm just started getting real sore especially after having to lift heavy things at work. I've been supplementing with joint supplements like gelatin lately among other things, has anyone has any personal experience with this? I'd rather not take time off and lose my hard earned mass. Any serious help from people WHO ACTUALLY TRAIN would be appreciated.  ;)

latiuss

• Getbig IV
Re: Tendon & Joint Soreness?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
Olive oil, fish oil from actual fish like mackeral sardines etc make it go away for me, extra water

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 01:44:28 PM »
I'd avoid any exercises that make it hurt the most and also be sure to stretch your tris. I use a gym towel thrown over my shoulder and use my other arm that's behind my lower back to pull it down and hold for a good 30 seconds a few times after a workout. I've also used elbow sleeves in the past to keep them warm and provide extra support on heavier lifts. Warming up on the arc trainer for 5 mins and then 5 more mins of light cable external rotation and tricep pushdowns have been a life saver ever since I started having achy tendons

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »
Has anyone ever dealt with anything of the likes of tennis elbow? The past few months I've been noticing soreness around my tendon area from stupidly doing heavy triceps extensions (with good form though 10-12 reps), my triceps have grown like crazy but my joints have just been suffering. The soreness used to just happen on my left arm but today my right arm just started getting real sore especially after having to lift heavy things at work. I've been supplementing with joint supplements like gelatin lately among other things, has anyone has any personal experience with this? I'd rather not take time off and lose my hard earned mass. Any serious help from people WHO ACTUALLY TRAIN would be appreciated.  ;)

I actually posted about this in another thread just a few weeks ago. That was the exact exercise that caused the pain, too.

I tried to carry on with regular workouts for a while (I'm talking in the area of 6 months), I adjusted the weight, worked only until I started to feel pain in my elbow. This was an awful move for me. I was really stubborn because I didn't want to lose any gains, but it ended up making the pain so bad that it started affecting my sleep. However, I did eventually get rid of the pain without medical intervention and these are the things that helped me out.

1) Invest in a pair of elbow wraps. I didn't do this until the pain was at it's worst and they allowed me to lift heavy without pain. I feel like I would have saved myself a lot of aggravation had I purchased them earlier on.

2) STOP WEIGHT TRAINING. As I said, I was stubborn and did not want to lose any gains, so I  powered through exacerbating the problem. However, as a result of having to take a forced hiatus from the gym, I ended up replacing weight training with an hour of intense upper body cardio. I didn't make any gains and my chest is usually rock hard and my wife noticed that it wasn't as hard, but I didn't lose as much as I was worried about. When I got back to the gym, I still was able to do 15 solid bodyweight dips  and 8 clean bps with 285.  It wasn't planned, but the most important thing was that the pain was gone.

Honestly, I know the temptation is to see how much you can power through before the pain subsides, but I would strongly suggest stepping back from the gym and trying intense upper body cardio.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 02:19:03 PM »
40% of all tendon soreness in the shoulder/arm region is bicep tendinitis...Watch clips on dixie cup icing for bicep tendinitis...Tendons need 6 weeks to heal completely. Once you have tendinitis in the tendons, you will always have it unless you give it the complete 6 weeks to heal. Also there are tendon/rotator type exercises that should be done 3 to 4 weeks into the 6 weeks when the pain is all gone. What happens is, people take a week or two off completely and the pain goes away. So they think its healed. But it really isn't. And it will come back. 6 weeks is the magic number...That Bozo Basile was trying to train arms every 3rd day with bicep tendinitis and now can't train at all because he doesn't realize that after the age of 35, the tendons need rest. The muscles can take training the same bodypart every 3rd day but the tendons can't. And if you're a boozer like Vince Basile, the tendons need even more recovery time.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Pretty good videos here...Bicep tendon goes into the shoulder. Many people with shoulder problems really have a bicep tendon problem...

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 02:26:56 PM »
this has come up a few times. I had severe pain from overhead tricep extensions, going heavy. My elbows were constantly so tender to touch, if i knocked them it was agony. They even became more pointy from doing them excessively. I eliminated any exercise that gives that kind of tension a couple of years ago and they are fine now, just not worth it.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 02:46:16 PM »

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:31:52 PM »
40% of all tendon soreness in the shoulder/arm region is bicep tendinitis...Watch clips on dixie cup icing for bicep tendinitis...Tendons need 6 weeks to heal completely. Once you have tendinitis in the tendons, you will always have it unless you give it the complete 6 weeks to heal. Also there are tendon/rotator type exercises that should be done 3 to 4 weeks into the 6 weeks when the pain is all gone. What happens is, people take a week or two off completely and the pain goes away. So they think its healed. But it really isn't. And it will come back. 6 weeks is the magic number...That Bozo Basile was trying to train arms every 3rd day with bicep tendinitis and now can't train at all because he doesn't realize that after the age of 35, the tendons need rest. The muscles can take training the same bodypart every 3rd day but the tendons can't. And if you're a boozer like Vince Basile, the tendons need even more recovery time.
This would actually make a lot of sense. I go fairly heavy with preacher curls and absolutely destroy my biceps every arm workout,  they've actually reached a point where the development is making the rest of my body look bad. Perhaps I should take a 6 week haitus from isolation work. I took 2 weeks off because of a knee problem this month and fixed that and now it's something else... Just my luck.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
Warmup the tris with 3 sets of light Pressdowns for 30 reps per set.

Osteo-Bi-Flex is some good shit for joint health too.

Rest and ice until better, then do those Pressdowns before your triceps training.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:27 PM »
Wes, Maybe you should consider changing your sport to golf.... :(

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »
Wes, Maybe you should consider changing your sport to golf.... :(
I suck at golf.........err wait!   :D

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
Lot's of (proposed) treatments for tennis elbow.....
In the end, every one of them (anti-inflammatories orally or by injection, physical therapy light or heavy, operation, just waiting) turned out to be equaliy (in)effectieve.....
So be my guest and choose one, or just sit it out.
Says d'r Dutch

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 04:11:07 PM »
I take 3 tablespoons of flax seed oil a day for my joints.   Without it, the difference is night and day.  Especially in my knees and shoulders.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 04:33:19 PM »

I derived a GREAT deal of benefit from modifying my form.

After lots of reading and research, I leaned to slow down my negative. Avoiding the sudden/abrupt stop at the bottom of movements like skull-crushers and overhead extensions has allowed me to train pain free since about 2007. I can still train "heavy," but good form has eliminated the trauma commonly placed on the condylar tendons with improper technique.

liberty

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »
Started using straps on all back exercises as well as traps...really is about the endless gripping :(
Had to go real easy for 4-6 weeks so things would heal well and then I picked it up again but with straps.
HTH

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »
u need to do soft tissue work on your tricep and forearm
Set barbell in rack- drive your tricep down onto the barbell and grind away, moving your elbow through ranges of motion-work up the arm but really spend a lot of time right by the elbow
You can also pin a lax ball against he wall and your tricep and grind away
Work up to 10 mins per arm

Also work on improving external and internal rotation of shoulder

When your tris are tight
Or u lack full rom in shoulder your elbows take the brunt of the compensation
w

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »

Totally false statements here. I have never had biceps tendinitis. I had sore elbows from doing pullovers with 250 pounds back in 1965. Once your elbows are sore you have to be careful. The tennis elbow soreness can persist for years and even decades! There are some triceps exercises that will destroy your triceps attachments. The pressdown is usually safe. Various forms of lying triceps exercises with a barbell are dangerous. Simply don't do them. Also, never put your elbows on pads while doing lying extensions. You will damage the sheath that goes over the elbow joint. I did that while training arms and damaged the sheath which was painful and I had to stop until they healed.

An interesting phenomenon to help you keep training triceps is to do high reps with a light weight in the triceps pressdown. I am talking about 50 plus reps. Do a few sets and get a pump going and voila, you can use heavy weights without the pain. If you ever get that sharp pain in the elbows stop immediately. You then have to rest for a week or two. Make sure other exercises aren't contributing to the elbow soreness. That includes all pressing movements including bench presses. Simply stop doing them while they are sore.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 06:41:57 PM »
Cissus.
?