Author Topic: how often do you have bad workouts?  (Read 2140 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
how often do you have bad workouts?
« on: May 25, 2015, 06:20:29 PM »
If you've been training for years, have you figured out how to consistently have good workouts?

Are some bad workouts inevitable?  If you have a bad workout, do you know why?

What steps do you take to ensure a good workout?  What are the most important considerations, in other words?

In my own case, even after a decade plus of training, I still don't know why most of my workouts fail miserably.  Lately ive been spending a lot more time warming up, paying attention to how I feel, rather than trying to stick to predetermined numbers.  I think this is the single most important thing I've discovered, so far, to help me have consistently good workouts.

Today I ran for 30+ minutes pre-workout.  Fantastic results -- the whole time I aimed to stay relaxed.  In the end, I think this helps me work harder, in fact.

ritch

• Getbig V
Re: how often do you have bad workouts?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 06:30:47 PM »
I don't have bad one's very often. If I get say, 3 bad trainings in a row, time to back off. That can mean going lighter the next few sessions or a full 5 days off. If dieting, I find it's much easier to overtrain.
?

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
Some days, I get in the gym and it's just not happening as well as I visualized. So I back off and do a light day. As Ritch says, a bunch of those in a row might mean it's time for a week off. I haven't taken a week off in over two years.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »
You never have to have a bad workout........if weights feel extra heavy on a particular day,switch things up and do Super-Sets racing the clock..............other scenarios can be Drop-Sets,Tri-Sets,Running The Rack,Descending Sets,100 rep sets,etc. etc.

All more geared towards hypertrophy IMO.

Keep the same bodypart schedule weekly on the same days,but always do something different and listen to your bodys feedback and adjust accordingly.

No such thing as a bad workout if you do this,just some that`s better than others,but no shitty days.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »
Before 40, never. After, every one.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:41:56 PM »
The key to never having a bad workout, is to never workout in the first place.

Your welcome.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »
The key to never having a bad workout, is to never workout in the first place.

Your welcome.
You`ve got that down to a science brother!   LOL   ;D

Ron Jeremy

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 06:44:01 PM »
Never.

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
58 years old here. yes i do have bad workouts sometimes. if i get to the gym and things aren't going good, i forget my game plan that i had planned, and just start doing supersets, 45 seconds of rest
between sets, nothing heavy,just quick sets. if things are really going bad, i just go home. normally stop and say fuck it and get a burger and fries and a soda. get home and have a few drinks. skip a
day, rest. always fucking foaming at the mouth to get back into the gym after a bad workout.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:24 PM »
You never have to have a bad workout........if weights feel extra heavy on a particular day,switch things up and do Super-Sets racing the clock..............other scenarios can be Drop-Sets,Tri-Sets,Running The Rack,Descending Sets,100 rep sets,etc. etc.

All more geared towards hypertrophy IMO.

Keep the same bodypart schedule weekly on the same days,but always do something different and listen to your bodys feedback and adjust accordingly.

No such thing as a bad workout if you do this,just some that`s better than others,but no shitty days.

Some very good advice here. Your CNS needs something different, it's no longer responding so change something. Nothing is good forever no matter how magical it may seem at first. That is short lived, 3 weeks, max is the longest I would ever do anything the same as before.
?

Core

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 08:36:37 PM »
Why do you only post about working out? the scope of gb is a lot greater..

I never have a bad workout. Why? Because i dont work out anymore  ;D

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:59:21 PM »
depends on if im overtraining or not. Personally I noticed i made the best strength  gains training each bodypart every 5 days. Hitting each bodypart Twice a week i went backwards, once a week... while it was better  than twice a week it was still not as good as every 5 days.
l

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
depends on if im overtraining or not. Personally I noticed i made the best strength  gains training each bodypart every 5 days. Hitting each bodypart Twice a week i went backwards, once a week... while it was better  than twice a week it was still not as good as every 5 days.

It's every 10 days for me now, lol! Maybe a bit more arm training, but 9-10 days is my new prefered way.
?

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »
Wave cycling the weights and adding planned deload weeks helped massively

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 10:21:31 PM »
I focus on trying to break the bar in half whilst benching.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 02:12:08 AM »
90% of my workouts just fall in the average category. Around 5% are above average and 5% below average.
A good workout is one where my form is solid throughout and I feel strong - both physically and mentally. A bad workout is where I struggle with mind-muscle connections and where everything just feels laboured and sloppy.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 02:17:11 AM »
no just like i dont have bad walks with the dog.

jon cole

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 03:53:53 AM »
Before 40, never. After, every one.

i'm 37 and i can imagine, i've got few warming recently.

I think the most important thing for a good workout is the state of mind. Staying focused, like a laser. No distraction, just training. So when i start training i just concentrate myself for 2/3 minute, like a kind of prayer, about my training.

So that particular day you can't do heavy squat because of lower back ? Just crush your legs with leg press for few set of 20's. Can't do deadlift? Just do barbell row and shrugs like a possessed.
asstropin

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 05:57:23 AM »
Prob once or teice a month and if i walk into gym and it doesnt feel right after a few sets i walk out.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 06:26:49 AM »
Depends on how much sleep I get.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »
Never. If the day before I didn't eat much or get any sleep,I just take the day off. I know when I wake up if I'm not feeling it. No point in pushing it. This happens rarely so no big deal.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »
Only if I'm hungry or sleepy.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 07:32:01 AM »
Was once so tired, I had just taken my pre workout, put my coat on, grabbed my bad and as soon as I opened the door, said "fuck it, not gonna be a good one"

Normally, I would make that decision once at the gym and warmed up. But after all that, would probably train anyways as I took the time to do all that shit, but go much lighter.
?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:30 AM »
Was once so tired, I had just taken my pre workout, put my coat on, grabbed my bad and as soon as I opened the door, said "fuck it, not gonna be a good one"

Normally, I would make that decision once at the gym and warmed up. But after all that, would probably train anyways as I took the time to do all that shit, but go much lighter.

Man, if I went to the gym or not based on whether I thought I'd have a good workout, I'd go probably 2-3 times a month, lol.

Haven't missed a workout in I don't know how long, though... 6 months, a year?  2 years?

I recently had some crazy experiences, though.  Went on a long run, and felt more dead tired than I had ever felt in my life, for the first 2-3 miles.  After that I started flying, felt like I was running < 6 minute miles for the last half.

Its experiences like these that make me continually question everything.  Yesterday I did a good 30 min warm up, progressing from a brisk walk to a good-paced run, prior to my lift.  Had a great lift, heart pounding the whole time, good muscle sensation (by my standards, anyway).

I'm starting to think I underestimated the necessity of both warming up and staying focused (trying to clear up anxious thoughts pre-workout).  

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:30 AM »
i'm 37 and i can imagine, i've got few warming recently.

I think the most important thing for a good workout is the state of mind. Staying focused, like a laser. No distraction, just training. So when i start training i just concentrate myself for 2/3 minute, like a kind of prayer, about my training.

So that particular day you can't do heavy squat because of lower back ? Just crush your legs with leg press for few set of 20's. Can't do deadlift? Just do barbell row and shrugs like a possessed.

Lower back, rotators, and biceps tendon (the worst). Too heavy for too long, even with careful form.