Author Topic: How did Memorial Day turn into Veteran's day?  (Read 3222 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
How did Memorial Day turn into Veteran's day?
« on: May 26, 2015, 08:11:20 AM »
Isn't Memorial day supposed to be the day to honor those that fought and died for their country and Veteran's day for those that are still alive?  Yet all over the place yesterday these living soldiers young and old were taking honors all day at different events.  They are essentially shitting on the graves for those that fought before them by trying to steal their limelight.  When did being in the military turn into the ultimate Attention Whoring job?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: How did Memorial Day turn into Veteran's day?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
Isn't Memorial day supposed to be the day to honor those that fought and died for their country and Veteran's day for those that are still alive?  Yet all over the place yesterday these living soldiers young and old were taking honors all day at different events.  They are essentially shitting on the graves for those that fought before them by trying to steal their limelight.  When did being in the military turn into the ultimate Attention Whoring job?

Weird, I saw posts from active soldiers reminding people it is not about them, it is about those who have died..

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:25:55 AM »

Its the same when you see military personnel wearing their uniforms out in the public lol. I was at a local fair and there was a military man in full blown fatigues lol. Or the military personnel who get married in their uniform lol. Its not that much different than cops who have to carry their gun everywhere with them. I attended a 4-year old birthday party and some guy I know who was a cop was strapped at the party. He even had his shirt pulled up so people can see his gun lol.

These people will stop at nothing to let you know they are "men in uniforms."  :-\ :-\
X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
my local police dept taking heat for honoring the local police dept yesterday in a ceremony.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »
my local police dept taking heat for honoring the local police dept yesterday in a ceremony.

Gee! Its ridiculous! Obama gets shit for eating an ice cream on memorial day. Its like, if you're not celebrating memorial day every second of the day, people are going to bitch and moan. I went to the gym yesterday. THE HORROR!!!
X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 08:35:37 AM »
Weird, I saw posts from active soldiers reminding people it is not about them, it is about those who have died..

Not the way the news was showing it.  I must have seen about 4 different "Surprise" visits by military families.  You know those stupid videos where a soldier surprises his kids or wife and somehow the news is there even though it's supposed to be a surprise?

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
Not the way the news was showing it.  I must have seen about 4 different "Surprise" visits by military families.  You know those stupid videos where a soldier surprises his kids or wife and somehow the news is there even though it's supposed to be a surprise?

I hate that shit. Very annoying.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 08:38:58 AM »
Its the same when you see military personnel wearing their uniforms out in the public lol. I was at a local fair and there was a military man in full blown fatigues lol. Or the military personnel who get married in their uniform lol. Its not that much different than cops who have to carry their gun everywhere with them. I attended a 4-year old birthday party and some guy I know who was a cop was strapped at the party. He even had his shirt pulled up so people can see his gun lol.

These people will stop at nothing to let you know they are "men in uniforms."  :-\ :-\

Imagine if a doctor carried his diploma from medical school with him to a grocery store, or a party. lol

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »

Imagine if a doctor carried his diploma from medical school with him to a grocery store, or a party. lol

haha lol. Or wear his "scrubs" to a dinner party!  ;D ;D Everyone serves an important purpose in this world, whether thats protecting our country or saving peoples lives every day. Yet, most people do not flaunt their occupation. There is definitely a certain mindset that police officers, firefighters, and military personnel have about themselves. I mean, why wear your military fatigues to a local amusement park? lol. I have nothing against military personnel, but the overwhelming desire to let it be known that they are in the military is very strange.
X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:58 AM »
haha lol. Or wear his "scrubs" to a dinner party!  ;D ;D Everyone serves an important purpose in this world, whether thats protecting our country or saving peoples lives every day. Yet, most people do not flaunt their occupation. There is definitely a certain mindset that police officers, firefighters, and military personnel have about themselves. I mean, why wear your military fatigues to a local amusement park? lol. I have nothing against military personnel, but the overwhelming desire to let it be known that they are in the military is very strange.
you seem very upset about it. I know guys who wear vet badges but itīs up to them. I donīt bother myself but it does not upset me. The services do have a brotherhood thing which most civilians will not understand.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
you seem very upset about it. I know guys who wear vet badges but itīs up to them. I donīt bother myself but it does not upset me. The services do have a brotherhood thing which most civilians will not understand.

Yes, I am so upset about it. How did you guess? Whenever I see a military personnel wearing a uniform in public, I start to cry and dry heave uncontrollably.

I can understand a brotherhood, but come on, you see some of these guys wearing their uniforms to movies, amusement parks, parties etc lol. At that point, they clearly want attention and to show off. I can't imagine any other reason to wear your military uniform to a birthday party. What does it accomplish? Are they hoping that ANOTHER military personnel will be wearing their uniform?  ??? :-\
X

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:06:24 AM »
I can see why a ww2 vet or Vietnam vet would wear a hat that is cool they deserve respect. But too see young guys flaunting their uniforms just screams douche bagge.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »
Yes, I am so upset about it. How did you guess? Whenever I see a military personnel wearing a uniform in public, I start to cry and dry heave uncontrollably.

I can understand a brotherhood, but come on, you see some of these guys wearing their uniforms to movies, amusement parks, parties etc lol. At that point, they clearly want attention and to show off. I can't imagine any other reason to wear your military uniform to a birthday party. What does it accomplish? Are they hoping that ANOTHER military personnel will be wearing their uniform?  ??? :-\
I canīt say that i know of this in the UK. At weddings yes i have seen this. Maybe the Military in the US is more relaxed about it. I guess it causes jealous feelings when the girls get turned on by it.  ;D

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
I canīt say that i know of this in the UK. At weddings yes i have seen this. Maybe the Military in the US is more relaxed about it. I guess it causes jealous feelings when the girls get turned on by it.  ;D

Weddings different. It's more acceptable.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 09:11:00 AM »
I can see why a ww2 vet or Vietnam vet would wear a hat that is cool they deserve respect. But too see young guys flaunting their uniforms just screams douche bagge.

There is also a different mentality among WW2 vets and today's vets. As you said, totally understandable if a WW2 vet is wearing a hat or a jacket that shows their company or what war they fought in. My grandpa fought in WW2 in the Battle of the Bulge. He never wore anything that symbolized his time in the services. To each their own.

It seems like many of today's vets have a different personality. I compare my grandpa to Chris Kyle, and Kyle comes off as a raging douchebag when compared to my grandpa. Heck, if my grandpa was alive, I am sure he'd even hate the personality of Chris Kyle and what he represented.
X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »
mate if i came over to the US of A in my Kilt...i would show you Yankee Boys how to pull pussy. One sentence from me and the girls would be wet.. ;)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 09:14:29 AM »

I don't even understand weddings. What's the point of it? Should a doctor get married in his "scrubs?" Getting married in your uniform signifies one thing to the people who are there: Youre military personnel. That is all. But most know it anyway. Is there any connection between military service and marriage that makes it important to get married in one's uniform? I don't get it. I mean, unless its specifically a MILITARY themed wedding and both husband and wife were in the military.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 09:18:24 AM »

Eh, I doubt it. For a lot of women the glamor of dating a military man is appealing in the beginning. Not so appealing when the man is away for months at a time, and the wife realizes that she is pretty much raising little Johnny all alone. I know many women who would 100% not marry a military man. Divorce rate is also becoming very high.

The military divorce rate reached its highest level since 1999, as nearly 30,000 marriages ended in fiscal 2011,
raising the prospect that troop withdrawals may lead to more divorce, according to interviews and Pentagon data released Tuesday.

"As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan draw down, we're going to put more families together who haven't been used to being together," says Chaplain Carleton Birch, a spokesman for the Army Office of the Chief of Chaplains.

The overall military divorce rate of 3.7% this year edged out the most recent U.S. civilian rate recorded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 of 3.5%, which has been in decline since 2000.

The Army divorce rate of 3.7% and the Navy's 3.6% are the highest for either service since 2004.

The Air Force rate of 3.9% is the highest in more than two decades. Nearly 5% of marriages among Air Force enlisted personnel ended in divorce this year.

Split marriages were most common among enlisted women across the military, with nearly one in 10 marriages within this group ending this year.

The Marine Corps divorce rate of 3.8% remained the same as 2010, Pentagon data shows.
X

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 09:20:03 AM »
Eh, I doubt it. For a lot of women the glamor of dating a military man is appealing in the beginning. Not so appealing when the man is away for months at a time, and the wife realizes that she is pretty much raising little Johnny all alone. I know many women who would 100% not marry a military man. Divorce rate is also becoming very high.

The military divorce rate reached its highest level since 1999, as nearly 30,000 marriages ended in fiscal 2011,
raising the prospect that troop withdrawals may lead to more divorce, according to interviews and Pentagon data released Tuesday.

"As the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan draw down, we're going to put more families together who haven't been used to being together," says Chaplain Carleton Birch, a spokesman for the Army Office of the Chief of Chaplains.

The overall military divorce rate of 3.7% this year edged out the most recent U.S. civilian rate recorded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 2009 of 3.5%, which has been in decline since 2000.

The Army divorce rate of 3.7% and the Navy's 3.6% are the highest for either service since 2004.

The Air Force rate of 3.9% is the highest in more than two decades. Nearly 5% of marriages among Air Force enlisted personnel ended in divorce this year.

Split marriages were most common among enlisted women across the military, with nearly one in 10 marriages within this group ending this year.

The Marine Corps divorce rate of 3.8% remained the same as 2010, Pentagon data shows.
Dude get over it... did a soldier steal your girl or what?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 09:31:31 AM »
My dad said it was to honor the past and those that died for our future.  To that one might add, respect those that keep the flame of freedom lit.  Respect.  Not adulate.  Not fawn over.  Just respect.

No need to say "Thanks for your service!" to every person you meet in uniform and my dad didn't do that and he was what is known as a Mustang in the U.S. Navy.  Instead treat them as you would yourself be they in or out of uniform.  With the respect you want yourself.

This current tidal wave of "heroism" is a combination of how we should better treat our veterans as well as more than a touch of libtard guilt for having pissed all over those that served in Viet Nam.  Regardless, I appreciate what they do not only for America, but the world.  And that goes for the armed forces of our allies around this planet.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 10:19:37 AM »
Dude get over it... did a soldier steal your girl or what?

Yes. I was walking down the street with my woman and I saw a military man. He said, "Hey, you pencil neck geek, what are you doing with that lady?" In a cowering way and hesitant voice, I said, "So sorry, mister, she is my girlfriend." He then laughed in my face, and said, "Hey, lady, you want  real man?" He then flashed his arms and military uniform. My girlfriend looked at me and said, "I am sorry, but I am going to have to leave you." I said, "Why?" And she said, "Because you are not the man he is!."
X

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 10:41:32 AM »

The ones that show up to ball games in full garb so they get their discount.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 11:17:58 AM »

Doom agrees.  On top of that, there is nothing laudatory about being in the military. Those people are disposable; and no one cares about their "service."  That is not my opinion: that is a fact, proven by the way society treats servicemen and women: sending them to fight without adequate equipment; ignoring/denying things like PTSD, gulf war syndrome, and suicides; sending them to fight in wars that are totally unnecessary; gutting their benefits if they dare to come back alive; eager to deploy them--especially when your own kids aren't in the military.  "Support the troops" is emptiest phrase ever uttered.  Bah!

What Veterans Affairs won’t pay for: Chance for the wounded to have kids
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/for-combat-veterans-va-ban-on-ivf-coverage-adds-insult-to-injury/2015/05/25/a5ae2940-fd8b-11e4-833c-a2de05b6b2a4_story.html

Why the need for both a Memorial Day and a Veteran's Day?  Combine them just as we did with Washington and Lincoln's birthdays.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
I agree it's cringe worthy seeing the show off's trying to brag walk around in uniform for attention, especially as most of them tend to be non combat veterans, although I don't personally see the issue with someone getting married in their uniform...that's what it's meant for.
Memorial day is an american thing I think? so we don't have it in the UK but isn't it about remembering those who died in war?  Our countries have been involved in some of the worst fighting since WW2 for over a decade now, which has resulted in thousands and thousands of deaths. Most of those who died will still have friends serving as well as young families who will want to be out to mark the day.
 Regardless of individual opinions on politics, the reality of these wars is thousands of amputees, thousands dead and countless kids without parents now. The public showing support can only be a good thing for the families.

Agreed.. Getting married in uniform, very understandable. People who have never worn the uniform won't understand the sense of pride it brings. Stopping by a fair on your way home from work or before work to meet the family.. also understandable. Putting on a uniform just to wear the uniform to a fair.. cheesy. Wearing your uniform to a birthday party because you didn't have time to change, understandable.. wearing it just to wear it.. a little creepy

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
The ones that show up to ball games in full garb so they get their discount.

Well, if youre talking about a discount for a hot dog, well, sounds pretty tempting lol
X