Author Topic: HOA/Condo fees  (Read 1514 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
HOA/Condo fees
« on: June 06, 2015, 05:38:57 AM »
Assuming you live in a condo building or a gated community what is a reasonable HOA/condo fee?  A buddy of mine in NYC lives in a building and the fee is $1500/month.  Granted that covers cable, a concierge, doorman, trash, and other "services" but it still seems crazy to me.  I did some digging and found out it is not that crazy (for NY) after all!  :-[

Bay no likey!

Top 10 Housing Markets With Highest HOA Fees in 2015
June 2, 2015 | By Brandon Cornett

The economists at Trulia recently ranked the top-ten housing markets with the highest HOA fees in 2015. As you might imagine, New York City had the highest fees out of the 100 largest metro areas in the country. Several California cities showed up on the list as well.

When weighing the pros and cons of renting versus buying, homeowner association (HOA) fees must be taken into account. In some places, these fees are nominal — maybe $300 to $400 per year. In other, higher-priced real estate markets (like New York City and Honolulu, Hawaii), HOA fees can be high enough to turn people away from homeownership entirely. In such markets, homeowners pay hundreds of dollars per month to cover their association dues.

So, which cities currently have the highest HOA fees? That’s what the team at Trulia wanted to know. They looked at the 100 largest metropolitan areas in the U.S. and ranked them based on the median monthly association fee.

The metro areas with the highest HOA dues are shown below.

New York City — $575 per month
    Honolulu, HI — $438 per month
    Fort Myers, FL — $356 per month
    Riverside, CA — $315 per month
    Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL — $310 per month
    San Francisco, CA — $300 per month
    San Diego, CA — $296 per month
    San Jose, CA — $290 per month
    Boston, MA — $285 per month
    Los Angeles, CA — $285 per month

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: HOA/Condo fees
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:39:03 AM »
Houston, each building is a 4-plex, 33 buildings, four condos each, 1000 square feet each condo, 1 1/2 baths, with a one car garage for each condo.

238.00 a month fees.  The sound isolation is very good.  I have only heard my neighbor when we were both in our respective bathrooms at the same time.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »
$1500/month is a mortgage payment in many parts of the country--not a condo fee!  A fee should be no more than $200-300/month.  Bah!

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:43:58 AM »
$1500/month is a mortgage payment in many parts of the country--not a condo fee!  A fee should be no more than $200-300/month.  Bah!

That is my mortgage payment..