Author Topic: Should unwed mothers be publicly shamed?  (Read 2228 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Should unwed mothers be publicly shamed?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »
So you wouldn't be so quick to question his intent as a parent, but you wouldn't deny his daughter being in that predicament is an indicator of failure on his part. Isn't that true?

I have no idea how he raised his kid.  A kid doing really bad things can be an indicator of failed parenting, but can also be an indicator of a knucklehead who had good training and chose to do stupid things.   

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »
I have no idea how he raised his kid.  A kid doing really bad things can be an indicator of failed parenting, but can also be an indicator of a knucklehead who had good training and chose to do stupid things.   

A stupid person, you mean?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »
A stupid person, you mean?

Not necessarily.  Smart people do stupid things. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 07:53:11 PM »
Not necessarily.  Smart people do stupid things. 

So the chick was running around snorting pills, smoking crack, and so much more if that's any indication. An absolute, total wreck and a zombie 24/7.

Wouldn't you agree, there would be a very distinct path that led to the condition?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »
So the chick was running around snorting pills, smoking crack, and so much more if that's any indication. An absolute, total wreck and a zombie 24/7.

Wouldn't you agree, there would be a very distinct path that led to the condition?

Bum wouldn't (pretend?) to be so confused if her parents weren't christian and republican

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 04:53:59 AM »
what do ya think?

No, but they should be counseled by other single mothers who are struggling to make ends meet and schooled on how difficult life can be when you make bad choices... choices that impact you and your child for 20+ years.

Shaming them would not work because "shame" is an outmoded concept today.  I was just talking about this at a dinner party last night.  The talk turned to politics and the candidates running for office.  I mentioned that if my brother had been President of the United States and taken the country into an unnecessary war killing thousands of Americans, maiming tens of thousands, destroying our economy, and presided over the collapse of the banking, insurance, housing, automobile industries, etc. I would be so ashamed I would never show my face in public again.  The last thing I would ever think of doing is running for President.    But that's just me.  Obviously, not everyone feel that way.  Most people in the room happen to agree with me, but they also agreed that shame is not something most people feel today. :-[

Carlton G. Long

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 05:34:42 AM »
No, but they should be counseled by other single mothers who are struggling to make ends meet and schooled on how difficult life can be when you make bad choices... choices that impact you and your child for 20+ years.

Shaming them would not work because "shame" is an outmoded concept today.  I was just talking about this at a dinner party last night.  The talk turned to politics and the candidates running for office.  I mentioned that if my brother had been President of the United States and taken the country into an unnecessary war killing thousands of Americans, maiming tens of thousands, destroying our economy, and presided over the collapse of the banking, insurance, housing, automobile industries, etc. I would be so ashamed I would never show my face in public again.  The last thing I would ever think of doing is running for President.    But that's just me.  Obviously, not everyone feel that way.  Most people in the room happen to agree with me, but they also agreed that shame is not something most people feel today. :-[

I'm sure it was quite a gay affair. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 06:27:05 AM »
Shaming them would not work because "shame" is an outmoded concept today.  I was just talking about this at a dinner party last night.  The talk turned to politics and the candidates running for office. 

life experience teaches us things.  I used to be 100% anti-drug as a youth.  Then, seeing many people die over the years, I've come to believe that medical marijuana - eating a piece of chocolate each morning - can ease suffering for people whose only options are to suffer, or die.  So I've evolved.  Jeb, with his daughter drug abuse and wife smuggling blues... you'd think he would realize real life isn't theory, isn't something to be mocked.  Shit does happen.

(granted, the loudest proponents of medicinal weed are usually those who are perfectly healthy and already smoking daily, just hoping to get better prices and less arrests lol)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:22 AM »
life experience teaches us things.  I used to be 100% anti-drug as a youth.  Then, seeing many people die over the years, I've come to believe that medical marijuana - eating a piece of chocolate each morning - can ease suffering for people whose only options are to suffer, or die.  So I've evolved.  Jeb, with his daughter drug abuse and wife smuggling blues... you'd think he would realize real life isn't theory, isn't something to be mocked.  Shit does happen.

(granted, the loudest proponents of medicinal weed are usually those who are perfectly healthy and already smoking daily, just hoping to get better prices and less arrests lol)

Interesting but what does this have to do with shaming?  Again, trying to make someone feel shame, embarrassment, or humiliation does not work in an internet era when plunging necklines, appearing nude in photo spreads, and making your own sex tape is the norm.  Shaming does not work.  What might work is showing young women how hard life is when you have a child to support and no money to provide for yourself and your baby because you have no job, no skills, no degree and, except or flipping burgers at Mc Donald's, every door in life is closed to you.  If you see that as your future it might stop you from making a bad choice.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 09:06:05 AM »

There is a distinct path that leads to every condition. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2015, 02:58:20 AM »
Jeb Bush forced single mothers publish sexual histories in Florida newspapers.
(HuffPo) As governor of Florida in 2001, Bush had the opportunity to test his theory on public shaming. He declined to veto a very controversial bill that required single mothers who did not know the identity of the father to publish their sexual histories in a newspaper before they could legally put their babies up for adoption. He later signed a repeal of the so-called "Scarlet Letter" law in 2003 after it was successfully challenged in court.

and he's doubling down on this!

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »

Can confirm shaming doesn't work.  Hell this board has people that cry like bitches over other people doing the same thing that they do, lmao.  No shame whatsoever.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2015, 09:42:07 AM »

Can confirm shaming doesn't work.  Hell this board has people that cry like bitches over other people doing the same thing that they do, lmao.  No shame whatsoever.

LOL - the fact that you continue to show up here is proof that shaming and humiliation does not work