Author Topic: CNN’s Don Lemon on ‘Political Correctness': Liberals the ‘Least Tolerant’  (Read 1990 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

In a new radio commentary for Black America Web, CNN Tonight host Don Lemon claimed that the culture of “political correctness” in America has become “dangerous,” and that after 25 years in the news business he believes progressives are the “least tolerant” people.

Going off Jerry Seinfeld‘s widely-heard rant about so-called “PC culture” on college campuses, Lemon asked listeners:

Do you allow room in your space for those who disagree with you? Do you ever call co-workers or the person you hear on the radio or see on TV stupid because you disagree with them or because they don’t hold your same opinion about an issue? If so, then you might be too politically correct for your own good, for society’s good.

After adding that comedians like Seinfeld, Colin Quinn, and Chris Rock all agree that political correctness has gotten out of hand, Lemon continued:

We have to stop looking for reasons to be offended. We have to allow people leeway to make mistakes in conversations without calling them racist, bigots, stupid, dumb, sell outs and on and on. Not everyone is going to or do they have to agree with you. In fact, it’s better when people don’t agree with you. That’s how we learn.
And then the CNN host laid blame at the feet of the political left:

After almost 25 years in the news business, you know who is the most easily offended and the least tolerant: Liberals and progressive – because many of them don’t really want to hear anyone else’s opinion but their own.
Here’s a tip, if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race, gender or ethnicity, you are part of the political correctness run amuck problem.
You are actually thwarting progress instead of advancing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Very surprised to hear him say this.   :o  But he is absolutely right. 

He might want to start sending out resumés though . . . . 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Fox is always hiring
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
i don't trust his judgment.  He said rape can be avoided by biting penises. 

So any advice from him comes from the foremost expert on mouthrape  :-X

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Fox is always hiring

Several former CNN employees defected to Fox. 

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Whoopi Goldberg on PC Culture: Maybe Comics Should ‘Find Other Ways to Be Funny’

Recent comments by comedians like Jerry Seinfeld and Colin Quinn have once again reignited the debate over the effect that “politically correct culture” is having on comedy in America. And on Thursday, stand-up comic-turned-talk show host Whoopi Goldberg used her platform on The View to challenge the notion that comedians should be able to say whatever they want.

After playing a clip of the “gay French king” joke that Seinfeld says now elicits groans from his audience, Goldberg said, “Listen, comics are always offensive, that’s our job. We offend everybody.”

“But having been on the other side of some of these jokes, yeah, people don’t want to hear them,” she continued. “Gay people may not want to be referenced that way. I think they have the right to say that and I think we’ve got to find other ways to be funny if that’s what it is. If you feel like it’s too hard to be funny without perhaps offending somebody, maybe you should find different stuff.”

Nicolle Wallace said that politicians have been complaining about “PC culture” for a long time, but now that comedians are doing the same people may finally start paying attention. “We have become hostages of political correctness,” she said. “And I hope people lighten up a bit.”

When Wallace noted that Seinfeld and Quinn are two very popular comedians speaking out against this issue, Goldberg countered by saying it’s because “they’re not on the other end of it” — i.e., they are straight, white men.

“There are consequences. If you’re going to do it, have the balls to accept when people don’t like it,” Goldberg added before changing her tune a bit from the top of the segment. “You’ve got to make a decision as a comic. I don’t care if people are offended. You know what I do. If you come to my show, that’s what you’re going to get.”

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
we have to experience the PC culture before we can swing the pendulum back to when people were badasses and actually funny.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Is this PC?