Author Topic: California Trains Professors To Avoid ‘Microaggressions’  (Read 1552 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
We are so screwed.   :-\

California Trains Professors To Avoid ‘Microaggressions’
BLAKE NEFF
Reporter
06/10/2015

University of California (UC) president Janet Napolitano’s office has been training faculty members at the University of California to avoid describing America as a “land of opportunity,” along with other phrases the school claims are offensive “microaggressions.”

According to activists, “microaggressions” are subtle actions, usually unintentional, that perpetuate discrimination against disadvantaged groups even in environments where overt discrimination has been abolished. Now, the UC system has fully committed itself to formally training faculty to avoid and root out these perceived microaggressions for the good of all.

The attack on microaggressions is the centerpiece of a series of faculty leadership seminars carried out by Napolitano’s office at several campuses across the UC system. One document used in the seminars is titled Tool: Recognizing Microaggressions and the Messages They Send, and lists dozens of menacing microaggressions for faculty to avoid.

One of the largest categories of microaggressions are those that that promote the “myth of meritocracy.” According to the document, this “myth” is spread by statements such as “America is the land of opportunity,” “I believe the most qualified person should get the job,” and “Affirmative action is racist.”

Other examples of sinister microaggressions, according to the guide, include:

Describing America as a “melting pot” (it orders people to assimilate)
Stating that “there is only one race, the human race” (denying the significance of a person’s ethnic or racial history)
Asking Asians, Hispanics, or Native Americans to speak up more (“pathologizing” foreign norms and treating white norms as “normal”)
Using “he” as a generic pronoun for all people (it makes the male experience universal and the female experience “invisible”)
Using forms where individuals must identify as male or female (it excludes the full LGBT experience)
The guide was used in faculty training sessions for UC faculty members throughout the 2014-15 school year, but its contents only recently drew more widespread attention when one professor notified The College Fix about the materials.

A PowerPoint used for seminar in April shows the dramatic tollvUC believes even a single microaggression take on students. Even a simple compliment, such as calling a student “articulate,” can set off a cascade of self-doubt and anxiety for the recipient

A second document instructs faculty on the proper ways to intervene against microaggressions. For example, if a person commits the offense of starting a sentence with “You people”, a suggested reaction is to say “I was so upset by that remark that I shut down and couldn’t hear anything else.”

Microaggressions aren’t the only threat faculty have been taught to mind. Another document, the Tool for Identifying Implicit Bias, instructs faculty how to avoid being biased in evaluations or hiring decisions. The document singles out phrases such as “hard worker” as being “euphemisms” for bias that must be rooted out.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/10/california-trains-professors-to-avoid-microaggressions/#ixzz3d9YBVQt0

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: California Trains Professors To Avoid ‘Microaggressions’
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 11:30:11 AM »
THis is why we pull out of wars instead of winning them....this is why we elect douchbags like Obama...because everybodies special little snowflake is a brainwashed idiot. Friggen doomed!!!
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
THis is why we pull out of wars instead of winning them....this is why we elect douchbags like Obama...because everybodies special little snowflake is a brainwashed idiot. Friggen doomed!!!

Right?  They are trying to raise a nation of hypersensitive sissies. 

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 02:45:15 PM »
Right?  They are trying to raise a nation of hypersensitive sissies. 

I agree with this on some level, but using the word sissy really needs a trigger warning

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »
I agree with this on some level, but using the word sissy really needs a trigger warning

Can we even use that word today?  It doesn't mean gay or anything.  I guess given how parts of society want to eliminate gender differences, maybe "sissy" is considered hate speech.   ::)

From the article:  "Using forms where individuals must identify as male or female (it excludes the full LGBT experience)"

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
Where's the next place for "us"?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »
Right?  They are trying to raise a nation of hypersensitive sissies.  

yeah, next thing you know they'll be crying about liberal media bias and constantly complaining that society won't stop criticizing them for their bigoted religious beliefs

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 08:41:04 PM »
the people of the state of cali want this bullshit in their state schools.  and they get it.

as much total bullshit as it is... we have to ask ourselves... to stop it, are we willing to give washington, DC the power to deliver NATIONAL MANDATES to the 50 states?   I mean, all it takes is a stroke open for Hilary to then use this power to make ALL FIFTY states go lib on the issues.

States' rights... even when you disagree with that state's decision.  Agreed?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 05:21:14 AM »
the people of the state of cali want this bullshit in their state schools.  and they get it.

as much total bullshit as it is... we have to ask ourselves... to stop it, are we willing to give washington, DC the power to deliver NATIONAL MANDATES to the 50 states?   I mean, all it takes is a stroke open for Hilary to then use this power to make ALL FIFTY states go lib on the issues.

States' rights... even when you disagree with that state's decision.  Agreed?

Yes, I totally agree. All except the Hilary statement. She we be bumped yet again.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 07:56:35 AM »
Yes, I totally agree. All except the Hilary statement. She we be bumped yet again.

who can beat hilary, tho?  If she wins nomination, she's probably unbeatable.  The dem field is weak so far, with tommy carcetti-wannabe being the only hope to beat hilary so far.

repubs love to scream about state's decisions... but they also want the govt to stay out of their state's business.  unreal. make up your mind please.  either you want a nanny state where the federal govt makes all decisions, or you want states' rights, where yes, some states go right and some steer left. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:41 AM »
Where's the next place for "us"?

Are you planning to let anyone run you away?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »
Let's take away the opportunity to show others are wrong, if in fact those others are indeed holding wrongful ideas (as seen within some highly vague attribute in communication, called "microaggression").

Oh. Fucking. My.

Stealing futures, is what's going on. People need to understand how destructive this shit is.

Anyone defend this?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
Let's play God. Pretend we can read minds. That'll fix everyone, but good.

You understand, that's what's happening.

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »
Can I still say, "Nice Tits...'??

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:08 AM »

Yes, if it's to Caitlyn Jenner.    :)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 12:26:16 PM »
Yes, if it's to Caitlyn Jenner.    :)

There will come a day when a person represented as female, who has become a "superstar", linked with extreme sex appeal and aimed toward the young and very young - will suddenly reveal (or "outed as...") being born male.

Not if, but when, is the only question.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
There will come a day when a person represented as female, who has become a "superstar", linked with extreme sex appeal and aimed toward the young and very young - will suddenly reveal (or "outed as...") being born male.

Not if, but when, is the only question.

Would not surprise me.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 04:21:44 PM »
who can beat hilary, tho?  If she wins nomination, she's probably unbeatable.  The dem field is weak so far, with tommy carcetti-wannabe being the only hope to beat hilary so far.

repubs love to scream about state's decisions... but they also want the govt to stay out of their state's business.  unreal. make up your mind please.  either you want a nanny state where the federal govt makes all decisions, or you want states' rights, where yes, some states go right and some steer left. 

...Trump...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »

...Trump...
m

Lol trump is left on Hilary on every issue not called amnesty.   He's bernie sanders with a bad wig and hot wives lol. 

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »

Probably not.
As we may offend those without tits
Or those with not so nice tits.. ::)

Any way here's to Nice Tits.
 ;)