Author Topic: NCAA athlete runs 9.75 for 100m  (Read 6173 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: NCAA athlete runs 9.75 for 100m
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
It is interesting that Usain Bolt is basically the opposite of this.  His start isn't very good (for a world-class sprinter) but his top speed is tremendous.  

Actually if you throw out everyone who's been suspended for PED in between (Tim Montgomery, Asafa Powell, Justin Gatlin), Bolt in 2008 was the first to run a faster time than Johnson's 9.79, 20 years later :o

I always wonder how much of a difference the drugs make in this.  Like if Bolt was lifetime PED free, what would his best 100 m be?  This fellow says that most of the improvement in the 100-m record since Jesse Owens (1936) can be attributed to track surface technology:

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_epstein_are_athletes_really_getting_faster_better_stronger?language=en

For me it's a simple matter of more genetic freaks getting into the game combined with modern training ANY top athlete can have. For example, once the East Africans had access to modern training and nutrition they started to dominate the distance events.

In soccer the USA sucked compared to most elite soccer nations.
Now, with the success of the MLS and increased popularity more Americans are taking soccer serious.
Sooooooooooooooo, the USA is getting more talent and better coaching in elite soccer now.

Jessie Owens ran a hand time 10.3 in 1936, which = 10.45 automatic modern time*
But the man ran it on a dirt track without blocks, so I'd estimate he'd get a modern track automatic time of
aprox 10.05. I think we can be 100% certain that Jessie didn't use any juice, as it wasn't invented for another 18 years.

Jim Ray Hines ran a 9.95 automatic time winning the Mexico games 100m, but that was at altitude.
It took several years after Hines before a legit sub 10 sec 100m would be run at/near sea level.

PED's have their place in this equation but since EVERYONE has access to them , the best of the best still need the most talent.  Valerie Borzov USSR won gold in the 100m in 1972 with a time of 10.0 but historical records shows he was on a serious PED regime.

Ussain Bolt may not be using much in terms of PED's. He has the stride turnover of a top world class sprinter, but is 6" taller, thus he covers a few more inches each stride. If drugs were the main factor, we'd see 100's of average basketball players converting to track and  running fast 100 m sprints ...we don't.

I wouldn't bet my life Bolt was 100% clean, but it doesn't really matter.
He's just a incredible genetic freak.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 12:45:36 AM »
How fast do you run 100m, Jamie?

What seems to be your boggle, "Carlton"?
P

Carlton G. Long

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 03:10:50 AM »
What seems to be your boggle, "Carlton"?

No boggle mate just curious "Jamie" 

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 03:34:04 AM »
He doesn't look to be on a shed load of drugs.

Should shave some time off when he is.

gettingbetter

• Getbig III
  • Fuck Yeah!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 04:39:30 AM »
When Ben Johnson ran it looked like a speeding train.  Inhuman speed.  He crushed the field.  Since then a dozen people, skinny fucks ran faster.  Doesn't make sense but I wouldn't be shocked if there's some special ligament surgery going on.

Better running surface.

Ben Johnson's time remains an amazing performance. By far the most explosive athlete the track has ever seen. An amazing athlete and an amazing coach.

Bolt is probably on IGF-1 amongst others, only he himself knows for sure but it walks like a duck...

http://www.vpxsports.com/article-detail/igf1-and-sprinting

Still the 9,75 that guy ran is an amazing performance for sure.

Mitch

• Getbig V
  • Team Succulent Ham of Peace
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 04:44:22 AM »
Ben ran a drug aided 9.79 but that was 27 yrs ago.
Plus, Ben depended on an explosive start and rapid acceleration more then top speed in the last 40 m.
I'm not an expert, but do you really think other athletes were clean? starting with carl lewis?  ::) And now, they are all clean too? The only difference between tyson gay and usain bolt is PED? come on!

9.79 is still in the top 5 ever. And 9.75 is the 3rd best time ever, direct behind Bolt and Powell, and just before Gatlin.

What the boy accomplished, even if he's a walking medicine cabinet, is just incredible!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 05:02:35 AM »
Someone mentioned stride turn over as the key to sprinting. It's a factor but the main factor is how much power you can generate to push yourself forward. Sprinting can best be described as jumping forward with each stride. It's a pure demonstration of power.

Regarding Howard's statement about Kenyan and Ethiopia distance runners discovering modern training techniques and performance diet for their dominance at distance I humbly disagree. They have always been amazing runners and it just took the revelation of there's money to made from them to come out from their humble African life to compete in the outside world.

The book, "Running with the Kenyans" by Adharanand Finn deals with the question what techniques do the Kenyans use to be the greatest distance runners on earth. After months of training with them he didn't find any scientific methods but just found incredibly poor people who trained hard. He said they run everywhere just for survival. It's not unusual for children to run 7 to 10 miles just to get to some primitive school where if they are late they are punished hard.  He said they all run bare foot. It's just when they start making money from races do they wear running shoes as a status symbol.  They eat the same thing most poor Kenyans eat. Two or one meals a day of grains and fruit. Meat is just a treat for special occasions. Runners start their day in the dark before dawn running in their wilderness for 15 to 20 miles. Then the rest of the day do just about nothing resting. He wrote it's not uncommon to see a whole group of runners sleeping after their run under a tree.  When they make enough money to buy land, live stock and a car it seems to destroy their motivation because they got everything they wanted out of running and the next champions start to rise. Training and living with them for months increased the author's marathon times to personal records but he found no secret training techniques. Just a work ethic from poor Africans trying to find a way out of their poverty.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:11 AM »
They have sped up the tracks since Johnson raced. He would be doing faster times now probably even better than Bolt. But who knows for sure.

Bolt is 100% on gear i can't believe anyone would think otherwise. He cleans out for decent periods, smart guy. Johnson was running around 10.5 not on gear. Fuck he ran 10.22 in the 1984 Olympic final for Bronze and he'd been juicing three years then and this is possibly the fastest ever. So who is running sub 10s clean.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:28:50 AM »
They have sped up the tracks since Johnson raced. He would be doing faster times now probably even better than Bolt. But who knows for sure.

Bolt is 100% on gear i can't believe anyone would think otherwise. He cleans out for decent periods, smart guy. Johnson was running around 10.5 not on gear. Fuck he ran 10.22 in the 1984 Olympic final for Bronze and he'd been juicing three years then and this is possibly the fastest ever. So who is running sub 10s clean.

If there were no such thing as PED, I think Bolt would still be the fastest and would still have the WR.  I agree with you completely though.  Hell, the Jamaican "anti-doping agency" doesn't even test in the off-season, lol :D

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 07:34:40 AM »
Someone mentioned stride turn over as the key to sprinting. It's a factor but the main factor is how much power you can generate to push yourself forward. Sprinting can best be described as jumping forward with each stride. It's a pure demonstration of power.

Regarding Howard's statement about Kenyan and Ethiopia distance runners discovering modern training techniques and performance diet for their dominance at distance I humbly disagree. They have always been amazing runners and it just took the revelation of there's money to made from them to come out from their humble African life to compete in the outside world.

The book, "Running with the Kenyans" by Adharanand Finn deals with the question what techniques do the Kenyans use to be the greatest distance runners on earth. After months of training with them he didn't find any scientific methods but just found incredibly poor people who trained hard. He said they run everywhere just for survival. It's not unusual for children to run 7 to 10 miles just to get to some primitive school where if they are late they are punished hard.  He said they all run bare foot. It's just when they start making money from races do they wear running shoes as a status symbol.  They eat the same thing most poor Kenyans eat. Two or one meals a day of grains and fruit. Meat is just a treat for special occasions. Runners start their day in the dark before dawn running in their wilderness for 15 to 20 miles. Then the rest of the day do just about nothing resting. He wrote it's not uncommon to see a whole group of runners sleeping after their run under a tree.  When they make enough money to buy land, live stock and a car it seems to destroy their motivation because they got everything they wanted out of running and the next champions start to rise. Training and living with them for months increased the author's marathon times to personal records but he found no secret training techniques. Just a work ethic from poor Africans trying to find a way out of their poverty.

And doing this for generations after generations it modifies their genetics and they become overspecialized.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 08:50:14 AM »
I'm not an expert, but do you really think other athletes were clean? starting with carl lewis?  ::) And now, they are all clean too? The only difference between tyson gay and usain bolt is PED? come on!

9.79 is still in the top 5 ever. And 9.75 is the 3rd best time ever, direct behind Bolt and Powell, and just before Gatlin.

What the boy accomplished, even if he's a walking medicine cabinet, is just incredible!
The 9.75 was wind aided and would be a legit 9.89-9.91 . Fast, but not the top 3 by a long shot.

ESPN's 30 for 30 did a full show on this called "9.79".

FYI< at least 7 of the 8 , 100 m finalists in 1988 were juiced, including Carl Lewis.

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
The 9.75 was wind aided and would be a legit 9.89-9.91 . Fast, but not the top 3 by a long shot.

ESPN's 30 for 30 did a full show on this called "9.79".

FYI< at least 7 of the 8 , 100 m finalists in 1988 were juiced, including Carl Lewis.

Nowadays it is 8 out of 8

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
Nowadays it is 8 out of 8

It was only proven that 7 of 8 were juiced in 1988.
The fall of the Berlin wall provided access to  East German records which clearly showed, extensive doping back to at least 1970 .

My view is that drug testing should NOT be done in any sport.
To me, it's just another form of training aid.

In my opinion, banning synthol in bodybuilding and boob jobs in bikini/figure makes more sense.

Carlton G. Long

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 09:56:47 AM »
It was only proven that 7 of 8 were juiced in 1988.
The fall of the Berlin wall provided access to  East German records which clearly showed, extensive doping back to at least 1970 .

This is going to come as quite a shock to a lot of butthurt getbiggers who think the New England Patriots invented cheating.