Author Topic: One chance or no chance?  (Read 2298 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
One chance or no chance?
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:38:01 AM »
I have a guy does marketing work for me - a lot of which is phone work - calling people up we've identified as prospective partners or media companies we can contribute content to and then arranging joint events etc.. Cut a long story short, we are both in Asia but most of the partners/media companies we deal with are in US - mostly Chicago.

So, we end up doing a lot of stuff during the US AM which is our evening.

Tonight we had some calls lined up, tomorrow we have a joint marketing email to send out (which hasn't been written) & we also needed to sort out a booking with another company that's going to give us access to their customers but looks like it conflicts with something else they are doing..

And the guy calls me up - shitfaced. Slurring. Obviously drunk. 8PM his time. He admitted to being drunk but said he was fine to carry on our discussion which I flatly refused to do.

Now I know we work evenings, we work from home most of the time too - so you have to be disciplined. But really, how hard is it to work 5 days a week sober?

I've been here before - being in Asia, there's a helluva lot of westerners going off the rails. The guy is good at what he does. But now the worry is he may have been in this state when talking to people on our behalf.

Part of me says give him a chance. Part of me says boot him immediately.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: One chance or no chance?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »
A true getbigger would try to have drunken phone sex with you  ;)

Fire him based on his failure to go for it.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:45:11 AM »
Is he so good at what he does that binning him will be detrimental to you? Or is he replaceable?

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
I have a guy does marketing work for me - a lot of which is phone work - calling people up we've identified as prospective partners or media companies we can contribute content to and then arranging joint events etc.. Cut a long story short, we are both in Asia but most of the partners/media companies we deal with are in US - mostly Chicago.

So, we end up doing a lot of stuff during the US AM which is our evening.

Tonight we had some calls lined up, tomorrow we have a joint marketing email to send out (which hasn't been written) & we also needed to sort out a booking with another company that's going to give us access to their customers but looks like it conflicts with something else they are doing..

And the guy calls me up - shitfaced. Slurring. Obviously drunk. 8PM his time. He admitted to being drunk but said he was fine to carry on our discussion which I flatly refused to do.

Now I know we work evenings, we work from home most of the time too - so you have to be disciplined. But really, how hard is it to work 5 days a week sober?

I've been here before - being in Asia, there's a helluva lot of westerners going off the rails. The guy is good at what he does. But now the worry is he may have been in this state when talking to people on our behalf.

Part of me says give him a chance. Part of me says boot him immediately.

Has he ever made any mistakes before? Also, is he in Chicago? Just won the Stanley Cup and the whole city is drunk. Haha

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »
Is he so good at what he does that binning him will be detrimental to you? Or is he replaceable?

From my perspective, it would be detrimental - it takes a long time to get somebody new up to speed with how the industry works and all the lingo. So there is a big learning curve. That will be a massive pain in the ass.

On the other hand, if he's calling people drunk, it may already be detrimental - although I've never head complaints that he's called people drunk.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
Has he ever made any mistakes before? Also, is he in Chicago? Just won the Stanley Cup and the whole city is drunk. Haha

Well, everybody makes mistakes - but he's never majorly fucked up in any way. Then again, I give him lists of people to go after and who is to say his hit rate isn't down because he's called someone slurring?

Scratch that - he has done the odd day here & there where he's disappeared and come up with an excuse the next day as opposed to calling in.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 08:53:47 AM »
From my perspective, it would be detrimental - it takes a long time to get somebody new up to speed with how the industry works and all the lingo. So there is a big learning curve. That will be a massive pain in the ass.

On the other hand, if he's calling people drunk, it may already be detrimental - although I've never head complaints that he's called people drunk.

Fire him and hire any number of competent getbiggers.
I'm sure the mods would allow a sticky, "help wanted ad" on this forum page.

Hope that helps.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »

That's the thing, if this is a habit yet business is good and nobody complains, as unprofessional as it is he can seemingly pull it off.

You have to weigh up your morals etc against good returns I guess. And decide how much you trust the guy.

Maybe he can learn from it and improve too.

Fuck knows, hard to judge knowing next to nothing.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:54:38 AM »
Fire him and hire any number of competent getbiggers.
I'm sure the mods would allow a sticky, "help wanted ad" on this forum page.

Hope that helps.

I doubt I could afford a GetBigger.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »
Well, everybody makes mistakes - but he's never majorly fucked up in any way. Then again, I give him lists of people to go after and who is to say his hit rate isn't down because he's called someone slurring?

Scratch that - he has done the odd day here & there where he's disappeared and come up with an excuse the next day as opposed to calling in.

That last bit doesn't bode well.

Automation

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:15 AM »
Fuck it man, if you are in marketing, it is part of the job to be drunk, give him a break.

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »
That's the thing, if this is a habit yet business is good and nobody complains, as unprofessional as it is he can seemingly pull it off.

You have to weigh up your morals etc against good returns I guess. And decide how much you trust the guy.

Maybe he can learn from it and improve too.

Fuck knows, hard to judge knowing next to nothing.

This ^^

Although the "no-call no-show" shit is aggravating. You are expected to behave as a professional and he does not seem to be. I would give him a written very formal warning and outline these key points and issues. Many people who believe they are in positions where they cannot be replaced become cocky about this and continue to push the limits. Let it be known that this shit isn't going to fly.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:03:22 AM »
so the point of this thread is to let us know how almighty you are to have the power to get someone else fired in real life...

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:43 AM »
so the point of this thread is to let us know how almighty you are to have the power to get someone else fired in real life...

Shit, was it?

Scrap my previous posts.

Can I be your friend Almighty Pedro?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
One guy I employed, here in Thailand was teaching math at an International school. I took him on as a developer - again - working from home mostly. Pay was better.

Being a teacher, he had to control his drinking but when he worked from home, he ended up having Heineken for breakfast and slow burning the booze all day.

He was a functional alcoholic but if he didn't keep it at the right pace in the day, he'd end up drunk and would drop off the grid.

We had many heated discussions about it - at one point I thought he was clean, he'd gone into rehab - or so I thought. He'd actually fucked off to Chiang Mai for a month to get shitfaced.

This ended abruptly November last year. One day he fell over drunk and hit his head. He ended up in brain surgery. The docs took about a microsecond looking at him to come to the conclusion he was an alcoholic and they had to give him anti-seizure drugs for alcohol withdrawal. I hadn't seen him for a month (we just chatted on skype most of the time) but I've never seen his skin in such poor condition and so blotchy. He'd obviously worked his way up to a terrific amount of consumption in the prior weeks.

Despite good care in hospital, he wasn't improving. The doctors said this was partly because he was so deficient in Thiamine but basically, he was a shell of a man and what would have been a minor injury for most caused him serious damage. We ended up having the air ambulance service ship him back to the UK. At 4 Months he was nowhere near the state he could work and at that point, I couldn't hold on any longer and I replaced him.

He ended up back with his parents - who are in their 80's. This guy is 51, penniless and unable to work. I remember a month after the accident showing him a picture of his 2 daughters from his wallet and asking who they were - he had no idea.

Anyway - I've been here before. Hence considering cutting my losses.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
One guy I employed, here in Thailand was teaching math at an International school. I took him on as a developer - again - working from home mostly. Pay was better.

Being a teacher, he had to control his drinking but when he worked from home, he ended up having Heineken for breakfast and slow burning the booze all day.

He was a functional alcoholic but if he didn't keep it at the right pace in the day, he'd end up drunk and would drop off the grid.

We had many heated discussions about it - at one point I thought he was clean, he'd gone into rehab - or so I thought. He'd actually fucked off to Chiang Mai for a month to get shitfaced.

This ended abruptly November last year. One day he fell over drunk and hit his head. He ended up in brain surgery. The docs took about a microsecond looking at him to come to the conclusion he was an alcoholic and they had to give him anti-seizure drugs for alcohol withdrawal. I hadn't seen him for a month (we just chatted on skype most of the time) but I've never seen his skin in such poor condition and so blotchy. He'd obviously worked his way up to a terrific amount of consumption in the prior weeks.

Despite good care in hospital, he wasn't improving. The doctors said this was partly because he was so deficient in Thiamine but basically, he was a shell of a man and what would have been a minor injury for most caused him serious damage. We ended up having the air ambulance service ship him back to the UK. At 4 Months he was nowhere near the state he could work and at that point, I couldn't hold on any longer and I replaced him.

He ended up back with his parents - who are in their 80's. This guy is 51, penniless and unable to work. I remember a month after the accident showing him a picture of his 2 daughters from his wallet and asking who they were - he had no idea.

Anyway - I've been here before. Hence considering cutting my losses.

You're just a big fat enabler.

Is this other guy younger and just having a good time when he shouldn't? Or an alcoholic?

Hulk-smash!

• Getbig IV
  • All the muscle in the world!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »
Ask him what he's wearing ;D
I

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 09:15:17 AM »
Shit, was it?

Scrap my previous posts.

Can I be your friend Almighty Pedro?

I think this depends mostly on your ability to stay in Bangkok or Manila and keep your shit together 5 days a week.

Some people that are really clever in many ways appear to have a real knack for leaving their self control at the airport.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »
You're just a big fat enabler.

Is this other guy younger and just having a good time when he shouldn't? Or an alcoholic?

I did totally enable the older guys boozing - I was never around alcoholics before and I honestly didn't know the signs, even though some of the physical signs are pretty obvious.

The guy today, he is younger - with a new baby, living with a chick in Manila.

So it's not like he's bar hopping - it was too early for that, my guess would be drinking at home.

He could do the bar scene after working - could be done & dusted by 11pm his time & out in slutsville - although his missus would probably put the brakes on that.

He did work for a friend of mine who I called tonight & it turns out he'd done this there once - but only once. But that was working in an office. My friend also told me that on occasions they'd go out, this guy liked to go way past fun drunk to the point he'd be completely incoherent.

So I think it's fair to say - he likes a drink.

herefortheglitter

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
I did totally enable the older guys boozing - I was never around alcoholics before and I honestly didn't know the signs, even though some of the physical signs are pretty obvious.

The guy today, he is younger - with a new baby, living with a chick in Manila.

So it's not like he's bar hopping - it was too early for that, my guess would be drinking at home.

He could do the bar scene after working - could be done & dusted by 11pm his time & out in slutsville - although his missus would probably put the brakes on that.

He did work for a friend of mine who I called tonight & it turns out he'd done this there once - but only once. But that was working in an office. My friend also told me that on occasions they'd go out, this guy liked to go way past fun drunk to the point he'd be completely incoherent.

So I think it's fair to say - he likes a drink he is an alcohol who probably shouldn't be trusted after this.

fixed

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
This is a bodybuilding forum
No one here cares about the drama in your life

Post this rubbish on the general or business board
w

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 06:42:51 PM »
This is a bodybuilding forum
No one here cares about the drama in your life

Post this rubbish on the general or business board

My apologies - I didn't realize it'd mess with your OCD

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »

Is there any way to "add some insiders" to that list to report back to you after you've put him on notice?
:

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
Deduct $13K from his annual salary & lease a $125 a month "company" car for him

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 07:44:59 PM »
keep an eye on him over the next while, if it gets worse you have a case against him. Let him know you have a problem with this in case he dosen't.
?