Author Topic: Giving Cops the Middle Finger  (Read 4244 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Re: Giving Cops the Middle Finger
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 02:47:37 PM »
Of course that will never happen.  People will always do dumb things.

That's why it's so important to be able to place honest trust in the cops.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 04:20:37 PM »
That's why it's so important to be able to place honest trust in the cops.

Ok.  Whatever that means.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
It's a free country.  It's a hand gesture and a disrespectful one at that.  But it doesn't harm anything but his fragile ego.

This is America.  You don't beat, arrest, punish someone for doing something legal. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 04:37:20 PM »
It's a free country.  It's a hand gesture and a disrespectful one at that.  But it doesn't harm anything but his fragile ego.

This is America.  You don't beat, arrest, punish someone for doing something legal. 

Why do you keep repeating yourself?  Nobody in this thread said it should be illegal.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »
Ok.  Whatever that means.

Don't you agree that it's the entire point, when it comes to the police?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 04:51:15 PM »
Don't you agree that it's the entire point, when it comes to the police?

No.  Everyone needs to act reasonably. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
No.  Everyone needs to act reasonably. 

Affirmative, in other words.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
I'm not sure how I view this. Part of me thinks that you should have respect for authority, and not provoke someone by acting like a jackass. That second part goes both ways though.

I also fear at times, that this progressive society we live in will at some point get out of hand. I guess at that point we hit the reset button and start over.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 05:01:40 PM »
Affirmative, in other words.

Negative. 

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »
Fact is, certain people will feel overwhelmed by an urge to raise their middle finger in the general direction of the cops. I can sometimes relate with fellow Americans on that, and I want people to be able to do it without fear.

I wouldn't recommend anyone do it, though, because it relies on misplaced trust.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
I wouldn't recommend it because it's friggin stupid.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 05:29:20 PM »
I wouldn't recommend it because it's friggin stupid.

Because you can't trust knowing what reaction the cop might pull out of his ass?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »
Funny thing is, I think we've found the ultimate test for a cop.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 05:53:24 PM »
Because you can't trust knowing what reaction the cop might pull out of his ass?

Because it's friggin stupid.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 06:39:21 PM »

so you think it's a good idea then???
?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
so you think it's a good idea then???

No.

Do you?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
No.

Do you?

Not at all, think it's totally asking for it. Everyone knows it means "fuck you" so it's not saying it, but means it. Saying "fuck you" to a cop can only get you in trouble.
?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:15 PM »
Not at all, think it's totally asking for it. Everyone knows it means "fuck you" so it's not saying it, but means it. Saying "fuck you" to a cop can only get you in trouble.

Yes. Despite his position, a cop can't be trusted to control his actions.

The fact that we all take it as granted is what's unsettling, I guess.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2015, 02:45:01 AM »

But should it?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 08:19:01 AM »
A person that flips-off a cop isn't likely doing it for "no reason". Wouldn't you agree?

In this case, it was to provoke a response. Cop Watch and similar organizations are notorious for pushing buttons then crying about being mistreated. I concur it is dumb. It is disrespectful and it's juvenile. It would be dumb to call a black cop the "N" word. Sure, you should be able to trust that the cop will be professional and not give a response, but there is the human factor involved. Why even go there? I've been flipped off dozens of times. Sometimes it ends in arrest due to other factors, some times it doesn't. But if I was on the fence about making an arrest or not, flipping me off would certainly be a factor. The point Dos Equis was making is a valid one.. it's the opposite of smart, to flip off any stranger, including cops

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
but there is the human factor involved.

Here's the thing - and you're right - but here's the thing...

When one cop looks the other way as another cop breaks the rules in any way, the human factor goes out the window.  At that point, BOTH cops may as well be russians or whatever.  People hate them.

There's way too much of that "look the other way" and "don't report your peers for breaking the rules". 

I tells ya... the MOMENT we see a mass "snitching", where the good cops turn in the bad ones, and bad cops are given the same sentences as the people they frame would receiver, THEN they'll get that ultimate respect. 

Right now - people just don't trust them.  Even a 38 year old white dude like me, never a victim of profiling - I don't trust cops to be honest if it in ANY way will affect their income, their family, their career, or even their reputation. 

If I'm wrong, tell me.  If cops DO turn in their peers, tell me.  If 99% of the cops on the street wouldn't lie to cover their asses, tell me.  Cause they're sworn to a higher standard.  They CANNOT cut corners like the bagboy or gas station attendant - because they're trusted with life/death power, and power to remove any of our freedom with just their words.  Their word is EVERYTHING, and whether you know it or not - most of us just don't trust cops to serve any greater good but their own first.  Am I wrong?

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2015, 09:03:19 AM »

When one cop looks the other way as another cop breaks the rules in any way, the human factor goes out the window.  At that point, BOTH cops may as well be russians or whatever.  People hate them.

There's way too much of that "look the other way" and "don't report your peers for breaking the rules". 

I tells ya... the MOMENT we see a mass "snitching", where the good cops turn in the bad ones, and bad cops are given the same sentences as the people they frame would receiver, THEN they'll get that ultimate respect. 

Right now - people just don't trust them.  Even a 38 year old white dude like me, never a victim of profiling - I don't trust cops to be honest if it in ANY way will affect their income, their family, their career, or even their reputation. 

If I'm wrong, tell me.  If cops DO turn in their peers, tell me.  If 99% of the cops on the street wouldn't lie to cover their asses, tell me.  Cause they're sworn to a higher standard.  They CANNOT cut corners like the bagboy or gas station attendant - because they're trusted with life/death power, and power to remove any of our freedom with just their words.  Their word is EVERYTHING, and whether you know it or not - most of us just don't trust cops to serve any greater good but their own first.  Am I wrong?

So if you were a cop, got a ticket for speeding by another cop, you would ok with it? Ya wouldn't want a pass?
?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »

I can tell you this, at my department, the vast majority of Internal Affairs complaints originate with officers. Not from outside the department.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2015, 09:10:17 AM »
So if you were a cop, got a ticket for speeding by another cop, you would ok with it? Ya wouldn't want a pass?

Just saw a FB post on a police page where one of our retired cops who is now with our communication division got a $200 ticket for using his cell phone while driving which is against our city ordinance. he posted on the FB page that he got it even after mentioning he was a retired APD cop. I think he worked the streets in the 80's. He was not really "complaining" but he really was complaining... He was told in no uncertain terms that the bad guy in this scenario wasn't the cop, but the guy who thought he should get a pass because he was a retired cop. Some retired cops came to his defense but for the most part, the cops supported the active duty cop writing the ticket. It ain't the old days anymore.  

Some excerpts-

"Scott, an officer enforcing the law equally and fairly is nothing to be ashamed of.. Ever. I'll leave it at that"

"
And everything is on video. Supervisors have to regularly review the video. If they see him let you skate and they don't hammer him, they get hammered. It is a new day, I never did it but if I get stopped I am never gonna come down on an officer that did his job"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2015, 09:11:22 AM »
I can tell you this, at my department, the vast majority of Internal Affairs complaints originate with officers. Not from outside the department.

that;s awesome to hear.  I support cops 100%.  My grandfather was career LEO in OH.  But CROOKED cops?  piss me off more than even bad guys, because they have added power and thus a higher standard.  It's like if a teacher sexually assaults a 14 year old girl vs. if some scumbag in the club does it.  Both deserve prison, no doubt, but the teacher has POWER over this girl and a vow to adhere to higher ethics.

Scumbag needs 15 years in prison, but the teacher needs 25 years.