Author Topic: Gov. Bobby Jindal Denies Clemency to Man doing13 Years for Possessing Two Joints  (Read 4384 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Good.  The law is the law, right?

Gov. Bobby Jindal Denies Clemency to Man Serving 13 Years for Possessing Two Joints

Gov. Bobby Jindal Denies Clemency to Man Serving 13 Years for Possessing Two Joints
More cruelty in the war on drugs.
By Tony Papa / AlterNet June 17, 2015

Bernard Noble, an individual serving 13 years for possessing two marijuana joints applied for clemency and was recently denied. The reason behind the denial was he had not yet served 10 years in prison. Bernard's sentence is a prime example of the draconian nature of the marijuana laws in many states across the country. In stark contrast to Louisiana, many states have decriminalized possession of marijuana for personal use, with the offense being punishable by a fine and with no threat of jail time.

This is truly a case of injustice and the vehicle of clemency is totally appropriate here. But for some reason Gov. Jindal and his administration refuses to show compassion and follow the recent lead of President Obama who granted clemency to twenty two prisoners this March.

By granting those twenty two prisoners their freedom President Obama displayed his administration's attempt to reduce mass incarceration and roll back mandatory minimum sentencing laws. The clemencies granted were the result of recent improvements in the commutation process by the Justice Department which included a fast tracking program that implemented a stream lining of the application process to prisoners that were eligible under newly set criteria.

Read more: http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/gov-bobby-jindal-denies-clemency-man-serving-13-years-two-joints

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
"Starting July 1, 2015, Measure 91 allows Oregonians to grow up to four plants on their property, possess up to eight ounces of usable marijuana in their homes and up to one ounce on their person. Recreational marijuana cannot be sold or smoked in public. Until then, current marijuana laws in Oregon remain in place. Measure 91 requires OLCC to begin accepting license applications by January 4, 2016 for commercial growers, processors, wholesalers and retailers."

I'm not a user of marijuana myself, but I have no issue with others using it for recreational or medicinal purposes. Just as it is illegal to drink and drive, it should be and it is illegal to get high and drive. I am proud to say I am an Oregonian.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
States rights? Don't like the laws, move?

I do however, think weed should be legal. And I am not a user.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Good.  The law is the law, right?

More cruelty in the war on drugs.
By Tony Papa / AlterNet June 17, 2015

Bernard Noble, an individual serving 13 years for possessing two marijuana joints applied for clemency and was recently denied. The reason behind the denial was he had not yet served 10 years in prison. Bernard's sentence is a prime example of the draconian nature of the marijuana laws in many states across the country. In stark contrast to Louisiana, many states have decriminalized possession of marijuana for personal use, with the offense being punishable by a fine and with no threat of jail time.

This is truly a case of injustice and the vehicle of clemency is totally appropriate here. But for some reason Gov. Jindal and his administration refuses to show compassion and follow the recent lead of President Obama who granted clemency to twenty two prisoners this March.

By granting those twenty two prisoners their freedom President Obama displayed his administration's attempt to reduce mass incarceration and roll back mandatory minimum sentencing laws. The clemencies granted were the result of recent improvements in the commutation process by the Justice Department which included a fast tracking program that implemented a stream lining of the application process to prisoners that were eligible under newly set criteria.

Read more: http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/gov-bobby-jindal-denies-clemency-man-serving-13-years-two-joints

Disgusting.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
States rights? Don't like the laws, move?

I do however, think weed should be legal. And I am not a user.

i'd be okay with legalizing it if they truly enforced stoned drivers.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior

Nothing wrong with driving stoned. Stoners just need their own lane.

Last time I drove stoned, it took me 2 hours to drive from Venice Beach to El Segundo.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

Just as with drunk drivers, there has to be a suspicion by the police that the driver is driving under the influence of intoxicants. Often, unless they are pulled over for some other infraction, it difficult to know who's either stoned or drunk while driving.

How would you propose this law be truly enforced?

240 is Back

• Getbig V

Just as with drunk drivers, there has to be a suspicion by the police that the driver is driving under the influence of intoxicants. Often, unless they are pulled over for some other infraction, it difficult to know who's either stoned or drunk while driving.

I dont know that it can be.  I know many stoners that laugh how how they can drive, and police cannot do shit.

They make poor decisions, they're slow, they cannot react, and yes, people will be killed by stoned drivers.   

THAT is the only reason I oppose it.  I have no moral objection to something that grows in the earth.  I sure don't partake, but I respect the rights of states to decide it, and individuals to do it in their home.  Do that shit in public, and get locked up just like public drinking.  Drive stoned, and yes, you deserve an ass whooping.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
I dont know that it can be.  I know many stoners that laugh how how they can drive, and police cannot do shit.

They make poor decisions, they're slow, they cannot react, and yes, people will be killed by stoned drivers.   

THAT is the only reason I oppose it.  I have no moral objection to something that grows in the earth.  I sure don't partake, but I respect the rights of states to decide it, and individuals to do it in their home.  Do that shit in public, and get locked up just like public drinking.  Drive stoned, and yes, you deserve an ass whooping.

Try this:

Researchers from Washington State University are developing a marijuana breathalyzer that can detect THC concentrations using a driver’s breath sample.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
...President Obama displayed his administration's attempt to reduce mass incarceration...

His "attempt to" do what? Then why was his team out there busting for it like it was a party? (after saying he would resist doing that, which he knew would cause people to relax and become easier-pickings to be nailed)

Obama is Mr. Say-one-thing-do-another, isn't he? Making he and Holder a pair of real hustlers, together. I cringe to think of all the cons they might've been running in the background.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

I think this issue hits 240 really close to home because as a musician working clubs late nights he has seen tons of people drunk AND sometimes stoned who had zero reason to be getting on the road.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I think this issue hits 240 really close to home because as a musician working clubs late nights he has seen tons of people drunk AND sometimes stoned who had zero reason to be getting on the road.

I see it constantly.  Makes me sick.  There are rare times - 8 or 10 times a year - when I'll arrive at the restaurant and have a glass of merlot with dinner at 8pm, then play 10-2.  I sweat out the one glass of wine in about an hour.  So it's 7 hours after my glass, I drive.   I decline any any add'l alcohol.  I've been gigging for 20 years, stopped many times.  Always sober for that.   

I see WAY too many idiots taking five shots in the last hour then driving home like it's nothing.  Baffling why they aren't scared shitless of a DUI.  Sleep in your car, for pete's sake. 

ANd yes, musicians are notortious for "safety meetings" where they blaze til they can't see, i mean eyes squinted shut, then they drive home giggling about how the cop can't bust them for DUI. 

Cops here are often too lazy to stop them anyway.  Too hot/mosquitoes to get out of car maybe.  We have these massive county-wide sweeps.... four arrests?  You have checkpoints and federal grants and dozens of cars working 9pm to 3 am... and you only caught FOUR?   LOL I could have pointed out the 4 chicks leaving wasted at 11pm, for pete's sake.

we lost a classmate's sister in elementary school to a drunken driver, so I've been in MADD (mothers against drunk driving) for maybe 31 years now?  I dislike drunk drivers and feel they get away with WAY too much.  There have been times when I chose to get drunk - I always arranged a ride ahead of time.  There have been times (we're talking years ago) when I'd drink 4 shots, caught up in the party.  Then I'd spend 3 hours after the show walking to Denny's and/or just dozing in my car.

NEVER driver drunk.  You can't control things in a world where its' hard enough to control anything.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I see it constantly.  Makes me sick.  There are rare times - 8 or 10 times a year - when I'll arrive at the restaurant and have a glass of merlot with dinner at 8pm, then play 10-2.  I sweat out the one glass of wine in about an hour.  So it's 7 hours after my glass, I drive.   I decline any any add'l alcohol.  I've been gigging for 20 years, stopped many times.  Always sober for that.   

I see WAY too many idiots taking five shots in the last hour then driving home like it's nothing.  Baffling why they aren't scared shitless of a DUI.  Sleep in your car, for pete's sake. 

ANd yes, musicians are notortious for "safety meetings" where they blaze til they can't see, i mean eyes squinted shut, then they drive home giggling about how the cop can't bust them for DUI. 

Cops here are often too lazy to stop them anyway.  Too hot/mosquitoes to get out of car maybe.  We have these massive county-wide sweeps.... four arrests?  You have checkpoints and federal grants and dozens of cars working 9pm to 3 am... and you only caught FOUR?   LOL I could have pointed out the 4 chicks leaving wasted at 11pm, for pete's sake.

we lost a classmate's sister in elementary school to a drunken driver, so I've been in MADD (mothers against drunk driving) for maybe 31 years now?  I dislike drunk drivers and feel they get away with WAY too much.  There have been times when I chose to get drunk - I always arranged a ride ahead of time.  There have been times (we're talking years ago) when I'd drink 4 shots, caught up in the party.  Then I'd spend 3 hours after the show walking to Denny's and/or just dozing in my car.

NEVER driver drunk.  You can't control things in a world where its' hard enough to control anything.

You strike me as the "live and let live" type with regards to to consumption of weed and alcohol but when it comes to disturbing or endangering the safety of others, THAT is when you would lay the hammer down with Draconian type penalties if you were running the show.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
You strike me as the "live and let live" type with regards to to consumption of weed and alcohol but when it comes to disturbing or endangering the safety of others, THAT is when you would lay the hammer down with Draconian type penalties if you were running the show.  :)

YES!  LOL i've posted about kneecapping confirmed drunk drivers or automatic 5 year loss of licence.

at home... smoke, drink, do whatever you'd like.  Don't bring it to the sidewalk or you getting locked up.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
Haha..the old saying, "one for the road" is from bar lingo. Can you imagine that. People sailing around in those big assed tanks they had for cars, pitch dark outside, going 80-90 mph on back highways with other drunks going the opposite way on the same road.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Haha..the old saying, "one for the road" is from bar lingo. Can you imagine that. People sailing around in those big assed tanks they had for cars, pitch dark outside, going 80-90 mph on back highways with other drunks going the opposite way on the same road.

and no seat belts.  and no DUi tests.  My family was totaled by a drunk driver when I was one week old.  I almost went thru windshield.  My late uncle rick put up his arm and stopped short to keep me from hitting windshield as I flew out of mama's arms.  Dude who ran stop sign was holding a beer talking to cop and got a ticket for the stop sign and sent on his way lol.

ah, the good old days.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
and no seat belts.  and no DUi tests.  My family was totaled by a drunk driver when I was one week old.  I almost went thru windshield.  My late uncle rick put up his arm and stopped short to keep me from hitting windshield as I flew out of mama's arms.  Dude who ran stop sign was holding a beer talking to cop and got a ticket for the stop sign and sent on his way lol.

ah, the good old days.

I think you took a more severe hit than you remember.

That would explain your liberal tendencies ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I think you took a more severe hit than you remember.

That would explain your liberal tendencies ;)

I read on Fox Health that 100% of liberal men lack testicles of any kind.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I read on Fox Health that 100% of liberal men lack testicles of any kind.

Its true.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
and no seat belts.  and no DUi tests.  My family was totaled by a drunk driver when I was one week old.  I almost went thru windshield.  My late uncle rick put up his arm and stopped short to keep me from hitting windshield as I flew out of mama's arms.  Dude who ran stop sign was holding a beer talking to cop and got a ticket for the stop sign and sent on his way lol.

ah, the good old days.

We've got that in common, 240. I was in a similar situation as an infant. Then just a few years ago, I was standing near a corner giving directions to someone, when a car glided up behind me and smashed HARD AS FUCK into a building (just a few feet from where I stood - try that one for a strange feeling). I opened the door to find a junkie at the wheel, nodding out. He had a little parcel with his works, and a bunch of burned soda-can bottoms on the seat and dash, so no way it was the first time he'd driven in that condition, either. He must've shot-up sitting in his car, then floored it down the street to do what he did.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V

There is a mature cop in the town where I live who was recently awarded a state award for busting the most DUII's. Thing is, he's really nice to these stupid folks when he arrests them.

You might enjoy the fact that for most of his working life, he was a software CEO. He always wanted to be a cop. When he retired, he jumped on the opportunity to fulfill his dream. Seems like a pretty cool guy.

http://www.oregonlive.com/west-linn/index.ssf/2015/05/software_ceo_turned_west_linn.html

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
My daughter was told by her doctor today that if she's ever pulled over she should never reveal the meds she is on. Someone he knew was busted recently on a DUII. They were on their prescribed dose of Prozac. If you take any medication either prescription or over the counter that recommends you not operate machinery while using it, and the cops find out during a traffic stop, you might get a DUII.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
My daughter was told by her doctor today that if she's ever pulled over she should never reveal the meds she is on. Someone he knew was busted recently on a DUII. They were on their prescribed dose of Prozac. If you take any medication either prescription or over the counter that recommends you not operate machinery while using it, and the cops find out during a traffic stop, you might get a DUII.

Is cops doing anything useful these days?

All they do is make life miserable for everybody.