Author Topic: Greg kovacs strength claims  (Read 43033 times)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Re: Greg kovacs strength claims
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2006, 05:38:11 PM »
Coan can't squat anywhere near 1000 without equipment, and his 900 deadlift was performed with a "sumo" stance. Kuc, Cole, and Reinhoudt could equal or supass his best conventional deadlift, and would outbench him by 100 lb.

I've also heard that deadlift suits can add up to 50 lb to your deadlift. None of the guys I mentioned ever used anything but wraps and a belt.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2006, 07:11:47 PM »
Coan can't squat anywhere near 1000 without equipment, and his 900 deadlift was performed with a "sumo" stance. Kuc, Cole, and Reinhoudt could equal or supass his best conventional deadlift, and would outbench him by 100 lb.

I've also heard that deadlift suits can add up to 50 lb to your deadlift. None of the guys I mentioned ever used anything but wraps and a belt.
Reinhoudt outweighed Ed by 130lbs., Cole outweighed him by 70 and Kuc outweighed him by 50, even Bill Kazmaier said to many witnesses at the APF nationals in 99 that Coan was unreal when he squatted the 1,019.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »
it sucks for greg bc he is suppossed to be a real nice guy.  most of those claims arent true, but i'm sure he was decently strong.

playboy, just bc you saw greg lift x amount of weight on a particular day, doesnt mean he cant do more.  maybe he was just going easy for a while.

gary frank would destroy ed coan.  but he also outweighs him by A LOT. 

coan will be considered one of , if not the best, pl of all time due to his winning and setting records in multiple weight classes and the lifts he's got for his weight.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2006, 08:04:17 PM »
I don't understand why Greg didnt go into World's Strongest Man if he's so strong?  His physique has all the aesthetic appeal of a hospital waiting room, and besides there is probably better sponsorship money for WSM given that it has a tv contract with ESPN.

Trust me while he is strong and masive he is not THAT level of pure strength. Perhaps if he just trained for brute power?  Ed Coan, a powerlifting legend challenged him in an open lift off, any lift he wanted , Kovacs NEVER replied and for good reason. I think Kovacs should have gone pure power and striongman, might have been awesome, who knows.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 08:33:58 PM »
Was Kovaks a legitimate 400 lbs. in the off season with a relatively low bodyfat percentage?

Is this confirmed or is it more hype like his lifts were hyped.

I'm having a hard time picturing a 400 lbs. bodybuilder, that's almost a 100 lbs. bigger than Coleman off season. 

It it's true he must have been an absolute giant. Freaky big.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »
Was Kovaks a legitimate 400 lbs. in the off season with a relatively low bodyfat percentage?

I'm having a hard time picturing a 400 lbs. bodybuilder, that's almost a 100 lbs. bigger than Coleman off season. 

The numbers in all reas were hyped quite a bit to sell his image and muscletech , etc.
I don't think much of gym lifts as legit, but power lifts in a meet, that is different.
At any rate, while we all agree Kovacs was big and strong it kinda proves that a massive physique is not always a great one.  Howard

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2006, 08:41:15 PM »
The numbers in all reas were hyped quite a bit to sell his image and muscletech , etc.
I don't think much of gym lifts as legit, but power lifts in a meet, that is different.
At any rate, while we all agree Kovacs was big and strong it kinda proves that a massive physique is not always a great one.  Howard

So he wasn't 400 lbs.? If not then how big was he? There are a few shots of him where he looks enormous, clearly over 300, how far over is the question.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 08:42:10 PM »

I remember reading about Kovacs in The Anablic Freak column in MD a while back. Jumbo Palumbo called him the only bb to legitimately reach 400 lbs. Apparently Dave spent a lot of time at Kovacs' house. I don't feel like digging around for the issue, but I'm pretty sure he said that Greg didnt even leave the couch to eat; his wife would bring his meals and protein shakes to him, which was quite often.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 08:50:47 PM »
I remember reading about Kovacs in The Anablic Freak column in MD a while back. Jumbo Palumbo called him the only bb to legitimately reach 400 lbs. Apparently Dave spent a lot of time at Kovacs' house. I don't feel like digging around for the issue, but I'm pretty sure he said that Greg didnt even leave the couch to eat; his wife would bring his meals and protein shakes to him, which was quite often.

400 lbs. with a relatively low bf for an off season bodybuilder is insane.

How the hell did he find clothes? He must have busted chairs and toilet seats.

Love him or hate you have to be impressed as hell with 400 lbs.

His food bill must have been huge.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 08:56:08 PM »
400 lbs. with a relatively low bf for an off season bodybuilder is insane.

How the hell did he find clothes? He must have busted chairs and toilet seats.

Love him or hate you have to be impressed as hell with 400 lbs.

His food bill must have been huge.

I am about as impressed with this as GV's exploding arms. Imagine how gassy he was like that :o

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2006, 09:01:17 PM »
To Playboy....you are too young or too stupid to remember Greg back in the day when he put Muscletech on the map. He was an absolute terror in the gym. He does not train like that anymore (hey, we all get older) but anyone around Ontario back in the day would vouch for the poundages. Greg did fifteen reps with what huge men would use as their max single.

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2006, 09:18:57 PM »
i've seen and met greg and saw him personally do 4 sets of 17,16,15,15 reps on the incline with 200lb dumbells and also saw him do deadlifts with 8 plates a side for 3 sets of 12 or so-go to super fitness in Niagara Falls,on. or gold's in mississauga,my freind henderson thorne owns it and let him show u how it's done,he really is that massive.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2006, 09:22:56 PM »
not really, Ed squatted 1019 at 242 and pulled 901 at 220, those are two of the freakiest lifts ever, his bench is mediocre for his weight class at 520-525 but Coan is the best ever.

Agree.

Sivokon is one of the few PL's who has no weaknesses. Great in all three lifts.

Brian Siders could reach that level, if he avoids getting his back injured again.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

suckmymuscle

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 10:19:28 PM »
  And the truth about Greg Kovacs is...

Dude is STRONG!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o. Seriously, guys, no Human Being, since the dawn of history, has been as large and strong as Kovacs. His bodybuilding genetics suck, but it is unequalled for sheer size and strengh.

No man has ever been as massive. I'm using the word "man" loosely, because Kovacs is actually the only Human Being, ever, who could probably challenge a silverback gorilla when it comes to strengh. Not the largest silverbacks, mind you, who weigh up to 600 lbs. These make Kovacs strengh seem like that of a six year-old girl, in comparison(the largest silverbacks might be as strong as 25 men!). But Kovacs strengh is probably a match - or slightly lower - for that of the smallest and weakest silverbacks, who weight around 350-400 lbs.

I have personally seen Kovacs in the Powerhouse Gym. I have also met, in person, both Dorian and Ronnie. Trust me when I tell you that Kovacs makes both Dorian and Ronnie seem like peanuts, compared to him. When I met him, he was around 410 lbs and his abs were still visible :o :o and Kovacs has weighted ad much as 440 lbs. I saw him do front military presses with five plates a side,USING A BARBELL!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o. And yes, he did incline dumbbell presses with 200 lbs dumbbels, not for one, not for two, not even for four, but for fourteen reps! :o The most shocking detail? When he was about to start the set, he saw some guy he knew and started to talk with him...while hosting the two 200 lbs dumbbells. He just stood there, for a minute or so, while holding 400 lbs as if it were nothing! Leg press? Kovacs has done up to 2 700 lbs for 12, which means that his single is around 3 000 lbs!

Someone mentioned Coan. Who cares? Coan is a powerlifter, who specializes on a few moves. Coan could probably match or surpass Kovacs on the dead-lift and squat. But that's it. On all other exercises, Kovacs would cream Coan in the pooper big time! Who would win in the incline dumbbell press? Kovacs. The flat bench press? Kovacs. Military press, front and back? Kovacs. Barbell curl? Kovacs. Leg press? Kovacs. Dumbbell row? Kovacs. Barbell row? Kovacs. You get the point: with the exception of one or two highly specialized lifts, Kovacs defeats Coan by a mile! ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2006, 04:38:45 AM »
it sucks for greg bc he is suppossed to be a real nice guy.  most of those claims arent true, but i'm sure he was decently strong.

playboy, just bc you saw greg lift x amount of weight on a particular day, doesnt mean he cant do more.  maybe he was just going easy for a while.

gary frank would destroy ed coan.  but he also outweighs him by A LOT. 

coan will be considered one of , if not the best, pl of all time due to his winning and setting records in multiple weight classes and the lifts he's got for his weight.
[/quote
Well, he must have gotten hurt or injured himself because he's "been taking it easy" for the past 6 years.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2006, 04:45:33 AM »
  And the truth about Greg Kovacs is...

Dude is STRONG!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o. Seriously, guys, no Human Being, since the dawn of history, has been as large and strong as Kovacs. His bodybuilding genetics suck, but it is unequalled for sheer size and strengh.

No man has ever been as massive. I'm using the word "man" loosely, because Kovacs is actually the only Human Being, ever, who could probably challenge a silverback gorilla when it comes to strengh. Not the largest silverbacks, mind you, who weigh up to 600 lbs. These make Kovacs strengh seem like that of a six year-old girl, in comparison(the largest silverbacks might be as strong as 25 men!). But Kovacs strengh is probably a match - or slightly lower - for that of the smallest and weakest silverbacks, who weight around 350-400 lbs.

I have personally seen Kovacs in the Powerhouse Gym. I have also met, in person, both Dorian and Ronnie. Trust me when I tell you that Kovacs makes both Dorian and Ronnie seem like peanuts, compared to him. When I met him, he was around 410 lbs and his abs were still visible :o :o and Kovacs has weighted ad much as 440 lbs. I saw him do front military presses with five plates a side,USING A BARBELL!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o. And yes, he did incline dumbbell presses with 200 lbs dumbbels, not for one, not for two, not even for four, but for fourteen reps! :o The most shocking detail? When he was about to start the set, he saw some guy he knew and started to talk with him...while hosting the two 200 lbs dumbbells. He just stood there, for a minute or so, while holding 400 lbs as if it were nothing! Leg press? Kovacs has done up to 2 700 lbs for 12, which means that his single is around 3 000 lbs!

Someone mentioned Coan. Who cares? Coan is a powerlifter, who specializes on a few moves. Coan could probably match or surpass Kovacs on the dead-lift and squat. But that's it. On all other exercises, Kovacs would cream Coan in the pooper big time! Who would win in the incline dumbbell press? Kovacs. The flat bench press? Kovacs. Military press, front and back? Kovacs. Barbell curl? Kovacs. Leg press? Kovacs. Dumbbell row? Kovacs. Barbell row? Kovacs. You get the point: with the exception of one or two highly specialized lifts, Kovacs defeats Coan by a mile! ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE
I guess the bottom line is, can he win a show? Absolutely NOT.As for the strength claims, I was at Golds Gym where he trained and I never once saw him do anything the mags claimed.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2006, 05:05:49 AM »
To Playboy....you are too young or too stupid to remember Greg back in the day when he put Muscletech on the map. He was an absolute terror in the gym. He does not train like that anymore (hey, we all get older) but anyone around Ontario back in the day would vouch for the poundages. Greg did fifteen reps with what huge men would use as their max single.
Well sorry to say, but I never ever once saw this happen. I have been training at that same Gold's owned by Henderson since 1998. Not once have I seen a 7 plate incline smith press or a 110lb lateral raise like Muscle Mag says. Now do not get me wrong, he is a huge guy. Very freaky looking. But the strength claims were all a muscle mag hype. He now trains at Family Fitness in Mississauga. A gym were the dumbbells only go up to 100lbs and the biggest guy is 190lbs soaking wet. As for winning contests....well that is another story.

PB

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2006, 06:39:38 AM »
there is a guy in my gym that dows hammer curls AND alternate curls with 42KG (more or less 90 Lbs)
And my instructor do concentrate curls for 10 with 32 Kg (more or less 70lbs) with easy. I think he could do a lot more than 90lbs on alternate curls, but he tells me he doenst like to go crazy heavy on arms, he do more reps with less weight (reps between 10 and 15 for what i saw him)
When i saw Levrone with 100 dumbell curls i thought it was insane, until i saw this guys in my own gym (that while being big, they are a lot smaller than Levrone). So even if Kovacs can do 120lbs dumbell curls, for a guy of his size and with the kind of AAS he put in his body, i dont find this lift in particular impressive
!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2006, 03:59:37 PM »
there is a guy in my gym that dows hammer curls AND alternate curls with 42KG (more or less 90 Lbs)
And my instructor do concentrate curls for 10 with 32 Kg (more or less 70lbs) with easy. I think he could do a lot more than 90lbs on alternate curls, but he tells me he doenst like to go crazy heavy on arms, he do more reps with less weight (reps between 10 and 15 for what i saw him)
When i saw Levrone with 100 dumbell curls i thought it was insane, until i saw this guys in my own gym (that while being big, they are a lot smaller than Levrone). So even if Kovacs can do 120lbs dumbell curls, for a guy of his size and with the kind of AAS he put in his body, i dont find this lift in particular impressive

Actually, he does barbell curls with three plates a side, for sets of ten reps! :o :o :o :o But then, since he does front military presses with five plates a side for 12, it doesen't surprise me.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2006, 05:21:59 AM »
  Actually, he does barbell curls with three plates a side, for sets of ten reps! :o :o :o :o But then, since he does front military presses with five plates a side for 12, it doesen't surprise me.

SUCKMYMUSCLE
Its all B.S. Muscletech hyped it all up so he could sell their products. He doen't do any of the so-called lifts that muscle mag claims he can do. I remember an older 1998 issue of muscle mag with Trish Stratus on the cover. They showed his shoulder workout. He had for plates on the smith doing behind the neck presses. If you look carefully in the pic while he is doing the lift, the smith machine is in the locked position and he is just holding the bar. Meanwhile the last time I saw him train shoulders, he did front presses (not rear) and he had no more then two plates and a quarter per side for 6 reps! Everyone in our gym knows he is a fake and everyone laughs at him. All he has is his sheer mass and his GH belly.

PB

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2006, 07:09:41 AM »
Its all B.S. Muscletech hyped it all up so he could sell their products. He doen't do any of the so-called lifts that muscle mag claims he can do. I remember an older 1998 issue of muscle mag with Trish Stratus on the cover. They showed his shoulder workout. He had for plates on the smith doing behind the neck presses. If you look carefully in the pic while he is doing the lift, the smith machine is in the locked position and he is just holding the bar. Meanwhile the last time I saw him train shoulders, he did front presses (not rear) and he had no more then two plates and a quarter per side for 6 reps! Everyone in our gym knows he is a fake and everyone laughs at him. All he has is his sheer mass and his GH belly.

PB
yeah, you guys laugh at him behind his back but when you're in front of him you ask him if you can load the bar for him and carry his gym bag, hahahaha, sissy.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2006, 07:55:47 AM »
240  luv ya bro but hearing you write about aesthetics is pretty damn funny

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2006, 10:11:06 AM »
yeah, you guys laugh at him behind his back but when you're in front of him you ask him if you can load the bar for him and carry his gym bag, hahahaha, sissy.
I don't think so buddy.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2006, 11:05:39 AM »
that fool never replies to Ed Coan's offer. we all know Ed would have own his ass all the way to the bank. all these strenght claims are pure bullshit. you wanna show how strong you are, go ahead and have a meet with Coan. otherwise, Greg you're a freaking coward
Get Big, or Die Trying

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2006, 11:28:11 AM »
I dunno about strength claims but I remember pics of Kovacs and an offseason Nasser in his prime (about 320) and Kovacs dwarfed him...I believe the 400 lb offseason claim.  Remember the guy is 6'2" with 10" wrists..he has the frame for size