Author Topic: "Thank You For Your Service"  (Read 3491 times)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
"Thank You For Your Service"
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
Over the last couple of weeks, I've had the experience of speaking with a few ex-military men who seemed to shoe-horn references to their military experience into the conversation. On one of these occasions (which occurred in a gym), a woman who was participating in the conversation responded by saying "Thank you for your service." I thought the entire exchange seemed a little awkward, but later thought maybe it's just me. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I do see and hear that phrase all over the place. Do you think it's a breach of etiquette not to thank ex or currently serving military for their service?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: "Thank You For Your Service"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
"Thank you for letting me know about your service."

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »
I think this is how I and many others feel when walking around everywhere. People can tell you work out and you notice how they are dying to say something. This may lead one to feel awkward, thus feeling the need to shoe-horn references about weightlifting into the conversation. You know, you may say things like, "Wow, I am really sore today" in hopes that someone asks you, "Why?" Or saying things like, "Oh, what time is it? I need to get home to do my push-ups." These are all good way to possibly discuss your weightlifting with others.
X

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:53:38 PM »
I am not thanking any ex-military personnel for shit unless they did a favor for me or someone I know personally. They are not necessarily worthy of my respect - in fact, fuck 'em.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »
I am not thanking any ex-military personnel for shit unless they did a favor for me or someone I know personally. They are not necessarily worthy of my respect - in fact, fuck 'em.

Benny, why are you so angry, is it because you're white?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:06:56 PM »
I have no problem acknowledging a service man's sacrifice even if he was a do nothing clerk in a military hospital for his service. When you acknowledge you are also acknowledging the ones who were wounded and those that didn't return. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 06:07:41 PM »
I have no problem acknowledging a service man's sacrifice even if he was a do nothing clerk in a military hospital for his service. When you acknowledge you are also acknowledging the ones who were wounded and those that didn't return. 

X

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »

That's cute you progressive liberal sheep. You can't even see all the damage done by Obama.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 06:26:30 PM »
That's cute you progressive liberal sheep. You can't even see all the damage done by Obama.

Guess what, loser? I didn't even vote for Obama the 2 terms he was elected. Try again.

X

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 06:30:27 PM »
Over the last couple of weeks, I've had the experience of speaking with a few ex-military men who seemed to shoe-horn references to their military experience into the conversation. On one of these occasions (which occurred in a gym), a woman who was participating in the conversation responded by saying "Thank you for your service." I thought the entire exchange seemed a little awkward, but later thought maybe it's just me. I hadn't really thought about it before, but I do see and hear that phrase all over the place. Do you think it's a breach of etiquette not to thank ex or currently serving military for their service?

Yes. You should probably thank them, whether they want it or not.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 06:36:01 PM »

Cool. You should be super proud.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 07:03:38 PM »

Civilians tend not to know the difference between an operator and a guy who sat in garrison for three years sweeping side walks -- a fact taken advantage of by the latter. With such lack of understanding, can they really issue genuine thanks?

Charitably construed, perhaps the thanks is for either's willingness to go to war or otherwise support a war effort as the job requires.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »
  As we get older, those who have served realize that as soldiers, we were simply pawns in a much larger game played by men that never "served" a day in their lives.

I'm sure this is true for some, but one of the guys I referred to in my earlier post actually tags ALL of his instagram posts with a tag that is similar to "#soldier who saw war". (I will refrain from giving the exact tag.) On top of that he frequently posts throwback pics and in a recent pic he captioned it with something like "heading to Iraq to protect YOUR freedom!!!" (The quote is a paraphrase, but the number of exclamation points was accurate.

Carlton G. Long

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »
Benny, why are you so angry, is it because you're white?

Schlomo Manciewicz (aka Betty Blanco) is another wannabe, just like that stupid NAACP snowflake.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 07:10:07 PM »
Civilians tend not to know the difference between an operator and a guy who sat in garrison for three years sweeping side walks -- a fact taken advantage of by the latter. With such lack of understanding, can they really issue genuine thanks?

Charitably construed, perhaps the thanks is for either's willingness to go to war or otherwise support a war effort as the job requires.

I get what you're saying, but my question had more to do with whether or not we're at the point where the "thank you" for all military personnel is just a matter of conversational civility? Is it in bad taste not to acknowledge it? Is it something that most people do out of habit? Is it noticeably rude if someone declines to do it?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Every day I wake up, I thank Tbombz for his bunny suit picture.
X

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 07:20:14 PM »

+1

I'd never criticize anyone who signed on the dotted line and served their country in any capacity.

And I sure as fuck won't stand around and listen to some liberal neckbeard bash soldiers, police, and firemen because it fits the liberal Obama agenda. Do that shit around me and you can expect a punch in the fucking throat.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 07:22:39 PM »
+1

I'd never criticize anyone who signed on the dotted line and served their country in any capacity.

And I sure as fuck won't stand around and listen to some liberal neckbeard bash soldiers, police, and firemen because it fits the liberal Obama agenda. Do that shit around me and you can expect a punch in the fucking throat.

They don't do that in real life. They know.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
+1

What about corrections officers?
X

Walter Sobchak

• Getbig V
  • HANKINS IS A FUCKING LIAR & QUITTER
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 07:30:10 PM »
What about corrections officers?

Your stupid "come to Getbig because I'm bored and want to argue" act is really fucking old and stale.

But you are exactly the turtleneck sweater wearing homo Obama fan I'm referring to in my post.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 07:39:17 PM »
Your stupid "come to Getbig because I'm bored and want to argue" act is really fucking old and stale.

But you are exactly the turtleneck sweater wearing homo Obama fan I'm referring to in my post.

I didn't even vote for Obama for the 2 terms he was elected.  ??? ??? What are you talking about?  ??? ??? :-\ :-\ Furthermore, I don't even own a turtleneck.

And I was actually being serious, you dingbat. It seems like corrections officers are often left out when people are thanking others. In fact, Id say there jobs are possibly more dangerous than firefighters or police officers, since they are pretty much surrounded by criminals 24/7.  What about the correctional officers who work in psych jails? They see some pretty messed up stuff. I always find it funny that they are often left off the list of people to thank.  :-\ :-\
X

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
I started a thread about this a couple of years ago. I said then, and I repeat, not everyone in the military is a fucking hero. Sure some are.

Thank you for getting your GED

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2015, 07:55:21 PM »
What they are really saying is, " Thank you for serving (so i don't have to)."

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2015, 08:44:02 PM »
I get what you're saying, but my question had more to do with whether or not we're at the point where the "thank you" for all military personnel is just a matter of conversational civility? Is it in bad taste not to acknowledge it? Is it something that most people do out of habit? Is it noticeably rude if someone declines to do it?

These are all subjective matters, so I won't comment any further (there isn't a correct answer either way).

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 01:29:03 PM »
I served several years many years ago as a very young man during peace time. I don't make a big deal out of it or expect anything, particularly since I rarely did much more than sit on my ass in front of a computer during the workday... and spent my free time mostly pumping iron, reading books, drinking at local bars, and chasing women.

I actually make it a point to thank other vets who I know served during wartime or other conflicts, or who otherwise spent any time in any real danger.
A