Author Topic: Supreme Court Allows Health Care Subsidies Nationwide  (Read 339 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Supreme Court Allows Health Care Subsidies Nationwide
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
Supreme Court Allows Health Care Subsidies Nationwide
Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:14 AM EDT

The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that President Obama’s health care law may provide nationwide tax subsidies to help poor and middle-class people buy health insurance.

The case concerned a central part of the Affordable Care Act, Mr. Obama’s signature legislative achievement. The law created marketplaces, known as exchanges, to allow people who lack insurance to shop for individual health plans.

Some states set up their own exchanges, but about three dozen allowed the federal government to step in to run them. Across the nation, about 85 percent of customers using the exchanges qualify for subsidies to help pay for coverage, based on their income.

The question in the case, King v. Burwell, No. 14-114, was what to make of a phrase in the law that seems to say the subsidies are available only to people buying insurance on “an exchange established by the state.”

Four plaintiffs, all from Virginia, sued the Obama administration, saying the phrase meant that the law forbids the federal government to provide subsidies in states that do not have their own exchanges. Congress made the distinction, they said, to encourage states to create their own exchanges.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/us/supreme-court-affordable-care-act-health-subsidies.html?emc=edit_na_20150625&nlid=57435284&ref=cta

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Re: Supreme Court Allows Health Care Subsidies Nationwide
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:29:37 PM »
Statement from Hillary Clinton on Supreme Court Decision on Affordable Care Act

Hillary Clinton released the following statement after the Supreme Court decision on the Affordable Care Act in the King v. Burwell decision.

I applaud the Supreme Court’s decision to affirm what the authors of the Affordable Care Act clearly intended and wrote into law: that health insurance should be affordable and available in every state across the country. Republicans in Congress have waged a sustained attack against this promise. They’ve voted more than 50 times to repeal or dismantle the law, roll back coverage for millions of Americans, and let insurers write their own rules again – all without proposing any viable alternatives. Now that the Supreme Court has once again re-affirmed the ACA as the law of the land, it’s time for the Republican attacks to end. It’s time to move on. The Affordable Care Act isn’t perfect, but the evidence is clear: it’s working. Sixteen million Americans have gained coverage. Millions of young people are able to stay on their parents’ plans. Insurance companies can no longer discriminate against people with preexisting conditions or charge women higher rates just because of their gender. Republicans should stop trying to tear down the law and start working across party lines to build on these successes. I’ve fought for the promise of quality, affordable health care for every American for decades. And I’m not going to stop now. Anyone seeking to lead our country should stand up and support this decision.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 12:36:36 PM »
President Obama: ‘The Affordable Care Act is here to stay’

Source: Newsweek

Shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court announced its decision to uphold tax subsidies crucial to the implementation of Obamacare, President Barack Obama addressed the country about his signature health care law.

"The Affordable Care Act is here to stay," Obama said.

"All of America has protections it didn't have before," he said Thursday morning, standing alongside Vice President Joe Biden in the White House's Rose Garden. "This is not an abstract thing anymore. This is not a set of political talking points. This is reality. We can see how it's working."

In a 6-3 decision on the legitimacy of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Thursday, the country's highest court upheld the part of the law that makes it easier for Americans to afford insurance, no matter where they live. Millions of Americans, Obama said, will continue to receive tax credits for signing up to the ACA.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 12:43:02 PM »
Rand Paul responds

Dear Fellow Conservative:

Like so many Americans today, I'm angry. I'm angry I even have to write the following words:

This morning, the United States Supreme Court announced it was once again REFUSING to strike a blow against ObamaCare.

Ignoring the plain language of the law, the Court upheld ObamaCare subsidies in states that have refused to set up exchanges -- just like when they effectively rewrote the law to rule the individual mandate Constitutional in 2012.

As President, I will fight for full-fledged, 100% REPEAL.