Author Topic: Newly discovered gene drug - New Age in Bodybuilding??  (Read 11224 times)

Johnny Apollo

Re: Newly discovered gene drug - New Age in Bodybuilding??
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 02:55:25 PM »
Johnny Apollo,
When I was growing up people were ashamed of their ignorance... guess times change.
The Luke

Truth be told I didn't even read it. ;)

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »
Just read it and you made a few mistakes...One to mention is XYYY males with Tripple-Y Syndrom dont have higher intelligence but lower to normal intelligence.
I've also seen no evidence of them more likely to be pedophiles.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/17/10/2560

Also you mispelled "Fetus" numerous times.

Also "Hocks gene"? I've never heard of such a thing. Google results turn up nothing.

Also it's about 98.5% of the human genome is "Junk DNA"(Non-coding DNA monstly Introns)

CC3

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 03:25:49 PM »
Just read it and you made a few mistakes...One to mention is XYYY males with Tripple-Y Syndrom dont have higher intelligence but lower to normal intelligence.
I've also seen no evidence of them more likely to be pedophiles.
http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/17/10/2560
Also you mispelled "Fetus" numerous times.
Also "Hocks gene"? I've never heard of such a thing. Google results turn up nothing.
Also it's about 98.5% of the human genome is "Junk DNA"(Non-coding DNA monstly Introns)

Sheesh, what are you the internet spelling police? :D

I do know "fetus" is spelled "foetus" in other regions of the world, specifically in the UK.  I'm assuming from Luke's use of the word Mum that he might be from there.   And if you really want to get down to it, might wanna check your spelling on "Tripple" and "Syndrom".

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 04:05:25 PM »
Sorry guys,

The spelling issues are due to the fact that I'm Irish and the "fetus" old-fashioned variation of the spelling is still used here in Europe, also I had my spell checker-turned off because I used to do my Latin (mens sana etc) and physics homework on this PC... Word doesn't allow for science jargon and it's hard to proof read a report when it's peppered with red underlinings.

The bit about the triple Y chromosome boys:
...there's a reason why I used the word "supposedly" before making the higher-intelligence/paedophilia claims. The inference is being made from a couple of cases and hasn't yet held up to the scrutiny of amassed data.
However, Johnny Apollo is correct about the data regarding triple Y chromosome being linked to lowered intelligence... but I believe the retardation is linked to one or more of the redundant Y chromosomes being fragmentary, damaged or "fragile"... not the much rarer (and hence harder to link to pathologies) three identical copies version of triple Y chromosomes to which I was refering.

The junk DNA percentage is constantly being revised both upwards and downwards, some molecular biologists claim non-coding sections are intimately involved in the geometric structural interactions of the coding sections, others disagree... it's a messy percentage, for example: should it include telomeric DNA for example?

One mistake I did make was mispelling "Hock's" gene... it's H-O-X; Hox. (I'd only heard the term from news reports and in conversation with my geneticist friend).

Retry your Google search with this spelling.
Failing that, they used to be refered to as "Growth and differentaition factors", that terminology might still be used in some of the literature.

Let's not get pedantic here, that post was only meant to be fun in a "German frauline has Sasquatch baby, watch out Ronnie Coleman!" Weekly Weird News kinda way.

The Luke

PS-if any of you actually enjoyed it, I've just started putting articles up on the Natural Bodybuilding board. The first one an analyses of the failings of the Sheldon bodytyping system.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 04:25:05 PM »
Luke, I enjoyed reading that.  Genetics and molecular biology are extremely fascinating.  Unfortunately, after all my schooling has been finished and now being in med. practice for a while, I don't get to hear much about new research coming out or what they are doing after mapping the genome.  The myostatin gene issue is very interesting.