Author Topic: Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage may pave way for expanded gun rights  (Read 421 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
With the high court’s latest ruling on same-sex marriages, some contend the decision could lead to increased gun rights, specifically national CCW reciprocity, by using the same argument.

Friday the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the Fourteenth Amendment requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and recognize those sanctioned by other states.

“No longer may this liberty be denied,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the majority in the landmark decision that arguably made same sex marriage a reality in the 13 remaining states that continued to ban the practice.

With similar logic applied, gun rights advocates argue that the nation’s patchwork of firearms laws governing the concealed carry of handguns are now circumspect under the same guidelines. In short, they reason if marriage equality is guaranteed from state to state, then so should concealed carry rights.

“To paraphrase what Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy said about same-sex marriage,” noted Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms Chairman Alan Gottlieb in a statement Friday, “no right is more profound than the right of self-preservation, and under the Constitution, all citizens should be able to exercise the right of self-defense anywhere in the country. It disparages their ability to do so, and diminishes their personhood to deny the right to bear arms they have in their home states when they are visiting other states.”  guns.com

Skip8282

• Getbig V

Sounds good to me.  Would support!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
it's a dangerous precedent though...

cause anti-gun legislation, or anti-abortion legislation, or anti-anything-conservative legislation can go National just as easily.

I like when gun owners prefer states rights - the minute they 'turn over' their ability to get a CCW to the president, it's just a matter of time until a dem with executive power goes ahead and nullifies all permits, in all 50 states.

You can say that's impossible, but 2 weeks ago, would anyone have believed amazon would be selling isis and nazi flags, but not confederate flags?  anything can happen.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
it's a dangerous precedent though...

cause anti-gun legislation, or anti-abortion legislation, or anti-anything-conservative legislation can go National just as easily.

I like when gun owners prefer states rights - the minute they 'turn over' their ability to get a CCW to the president, it's just a matter of time until a dem with executive power goes ahead and nullifies all permits, in all 50 states.

You can say that's impossible, but 2 weeks ago, would anyone have believed amazon would be selling isis and nazi flags, but not confederate flags?  anything can happen.

Meh, you can make the exact same argument at either Federal or State level.  The 2nd amendment should transcend state differences.  I would have to think about all the ramifications though.

As for the flag crap, I seriously doubt they knew what it was.  I would venture that most people on this site, outside of the political board, don't know what it is.  We pay attention to that stuff, most people don't.