Author Topic: Dave Grohl On American Idol  (Read 4366 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Dave Grohl On American Idol
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »
“When I think about kids watching a TV show like American Idol or The Voice, then they think, ‘Oh, OK, that’s how you become a musician, you stand in line for eight fucking hours with 800 people at a convention center and… then you sing your heart out for someone and then they tell you it’s not fuckin’ good enough.’ Can you imagine?” he implores. “It’s destroying the next generation of musicians! Musicians should go to a yard sale and buy and old fucking drum set and get in their garage and just suck. And get their friends to come in and they’ll suck, too. And then they’ll fucking start playing and they’ll have the best time they’ve ever had in their lives and then all of a sudden they’ll become Nirvana. Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some shitty old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-ass shit, and they became the biggest band in the world. That can happen again! You don’t need a fucking computer or the internet or The Voice or American Idol.” - Dave Grohl

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=239510859394850&story_fbid=606972795981986

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Dave Grohl On American Idol
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:19:30 AM »
Love Dave but he's dreaming if he is trying to sell the idea you have any real chance of making it big starting as a garage band. It's like kids playing basketball hoping to make it to the NBA one day. Those shows are alternate avenues for talent to get noticed. There are tons of singers and musicians out there.. getting a break is what they all strive for.. this is just another chance at a break. Personally, I have more respect for the ones that came up from the small clubs to make it big, but I understand the odds.   

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 07:22:46 PM »
Love Dave but he's dreaming if he is trying to sell the idea you have any real chance of making it big starting as a garage band. It's like kids playing basketball hoping to make it to the NBA one day. Those shows are alternate avenues for talent to get noticed. There are tons of singers and musicians out there.. getting a break is what they all strive for.. this is just another chance at a break. Personally, I have more respect for the ones that came up from the small clubs to make it big, but I understand the odds.   

I think you are misunderstanding what he's saying.  I grew up in Seattle in the Nineties when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, and Alice in Chains were big.  The reason Seattle was such a cauldron of talent was because it was never about making it big and was always about the music and the camaraderie.  Invite your friends over and have the best time of your life.  Don't worry if you suck when you start, or about making it big, but just enjoy yourself.  Can you imagine Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain auditioning for Simon Cowell on American Idol?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:32:05 AM »
I think you are misunderstanding what he's saying.  I grew up in Seattle in the Nineties when Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, and Alice in Chains were big.  The reason Seattle was such a cauldron of talent was because it was never about making it big and was always about the music and the camaraderie.  Invite your friends over and have the best time of your life.  Don't worry if you suck when you start, or about making it big, but just enjoy yourself.  Can you imagine Eddie Vedder or Kurt Cobain auditioning for Simon Cowell on American Idol?

If that's what he is saying, then I retract my statement.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
If that's what he is saying, then I retract my statement.

Dave would do this for free and it shows in this video.  ;)

"Because that’s exactly what happened with Nirvana. Just a bunch of guys that had some shitty old instruments and they got together and started playing some noisy-ass shit, and they became the biggest band in the world."

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:43:05 PM »

Keep an eye on Rival Sons. Long Beach "garage band" that's starting to make noise. Much bigger in the UK, but that's where their label's based.

Plus, folks there still seem to appreciate some old school rock.