Author Topic: A-Rod Is Now A-Victim  (Read 14996 times)

AD2100

• Getbig IV
A-Rod Is Now A-Victim
« on: July 07, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
The same critics who were chastising A-Rod during his steroid scandal now seem to think he's the victim of an All-Star Game snub. Why? Keith explains.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: A-Rod Is Now A-Victim
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:01:39 PM »
just like he won't get in the hall of fame like raffie palmero , barry bonds, roger clemens, sammy sosa, mark mcgwire and a host of others who took or were thought to have taken steroids.... mike piazza wrote a book saying he didn't take them yet he has yet to get in...frank thomas practically begged to get in saying don't lump me with those cheaters...he's in...
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
They'll all get in eventually.
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:23:11 PM »

you think so?? I dont see it happening anytime soon. Maybe in a BUNCH of years when theres a new crop of sports writers and they dont give a crap who took roids.
but not til then at least

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »
you think so?? I dont see it happening anytime soon. Maybe in a BUNCH of years when theres a new crop of sports writers and they dont give a crap who took roids.
but not til then at least

They should be in.  Baseball turned a blind eye in 98 with McGwire and Sosa, and didn't do their job.

My issue is so many were on, that it's not fair to single out the guys who were good.  And, even though so many were, nobody came close to what Bonds did.  Plus, a lot of these sportswriters are complete dipshits, holding on to day or yore, and not accepting better metrics and angles of looking at the game.

I'm not naive, but I would bet Rivera and Jeter were clean.  And Rivera dominated the largest offense era in the history of the sport.
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:36:41 PM »
They should be in.  Baseball turned a blind eye in 98 with McGwire and Sosa, and didn't do their job.

My issue is so many were on, that it's not fair to single out the guys who were good.  And, even though so many were, nobody came close to what Bonds did.  Plus, a lot of these sportswriters are complete dipshits, holding on to day or yore, and not accepting better metrics and angles of looking at the game.

I'm not naive, but I would bet Rivera and Jeter were clean.  And Rivera dominated the largest offense era in the history of the sport.

personally i could care less...let them in. But not Bonds...hes an asshole.

while were on the topic, let Rose in too  >:(

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
personally i could care less...let them in. But not Bonds...hes an asshole.

while were on the topic, let Rose in too  >:(

Rose yes.  But Bonds, yes.  He's an asshole, but he is probably the second best player ever. HoF is becoming diluted anyway now.  Jim Rice?  Please.

And, I don't know if you know the story of the SF fan who was beaten into a coma a few years ago.  Bonds paid for his kids' college tuition, and asked the family that they did not go public with it.  They said they could not keep quite about it and told the press.   Sometimes people figure it out, albeit later than others.  ARod's doing it right now.
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:24:25 PM »
Rose yes.  But Bonds, yes.  He's an asshole, but he is probably the second best player ever. HoF is becoming diluted anyway now.  Jim Rice?  Please.

And, I don't know if you know the story of the SF fan who was beaten into a coma a few years ago.  Bonds paid for his kids' college tuition, and asked the family that they did not go public with it.  They said they could not keep quite about it and told the press.   Sometimes people figure it out, albeit later than others.  ARod's doing it right now.

i was half joking about Bonds. Hes an ass but he is one of the best ever

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:19:53 AM »

admission[not the ticket price kind] to the hall of fame is a tricky subject... why is don drysdale in and not milt pappas they had similar careers, but no one bats an eye over drysdale yet any fan won't think to put pappas in.  if orlando cepeda and jim rice and ron santo are in richie allen and scott rolen should be in allen just missed by one vote in the oldtimer sweepstakes. reputably the deciding vote was pat gillick of the phillies who voted no to allen. yet scott rolen probably won't be on the ballot after a few years...a lot of it is peak years that's why sandy koufax is an esteemed member yet ron guidry who had a similar career is a forgotten man relegated to driving yogi berra around...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »
admission[not the ticket price kind] to the hall of fame is a tricky subject... why is don drysdale in and not milt pappas they had similar careers, but no one bats an eye over drysdale yet any fan won't think to put pappas in.  if orlando cepeda and jim rice and ron santo are in richie allen and scott rolen should be in allen just missed by one vote in the oldtimer sweepstakes. reputably the deciding vote was pat gillick of the phillies who voted no to allen. yet scott rolen probably won't be on the ballot after a few years...a lot of it is peak years that's why sandy koufax is an esteemed member yet ron guidry who had a similar career is a forgotten man relegated to driving yogi berra around...
looking at this again it's probably peak years over consistancy... consistancy gets punished see tommy john , jim kaat, harold baines and fred mcgriff.
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »

Jim Rice should not be in.
Y

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »
Jim Rice should not be in.

what what what?

16 year career, lifetime 300 hitter (for 16 years!!) with 382 home runs (in the dead ball era), multiple allstar appearances, MVP award + WS appearance (where he hit .333) and ALL with the same shitty ass team doesnt get in???

AND thats with the 3 years he stayed too long...

Not his fault the redsox had a curse.. and I hate the redsox but Jim Rice today averages 50 home runs easy

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 01:51:36 PM »
what what what?

16 year career, lifetime 300 hitter (for 16 years!!) with 382 home runs (in the dead ball era), multiple allstar appearances, MVP award + WS appearance (where he hit .333) and ALL with the same shitty ass team doesnt get in???

AND thats with the 3 years he stayed too long...

Not his fault the redsox had a curse.. and I hate the redsox but Jim Rice today averages 50 home runs easy

Lifetime OPS of .854 which split into .920 at hit-friendly Fenway and an extremely non Hall worthy .789 on the road.  Only hit above .300 six times in 16 years.  

Lifetime .352 OBP and didn't even hit 400 HRs from a power position.

Never won a gold glove, 6th all time in grounding into double plays, etc....  

He had a very good career.  Not elite, which is what the HoF is all about (or was).
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
the hall of fame is somewhat watered down greats like mays, ruth,gehrig,cobb , aaron,mantle,schmidt,berra share space with phil rizzuto, richie ashburn= veterans committee should be disbanded...if richie ashburn is is why isn't vada pinson in???? don't get me started on rizzito in comparison to trammel, Whitaker concepcion  and on and on
F

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
the hall of fame is somewhat watered down greats like mays, ruth,gehrig,cobb , aaron,mantle,schmidt,berra share space with phil rizzuto, richie ashburn= veterans committee should be disbanded...if richie ashburn is is why isn't vada pinson in???? don't get me started on rizzito in comparison to trammel, Whitaker concepcion  and on and on

Tim Raines out and Jim Rice in is one of the bigger travesties of the modern era.
Y

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 06:28:17 AM »
Tim Raines out and Jim Rice in is one of the bigger travesties of the modern era.
raines is hurt by playing in the shadow of rickey henderson who dwarfs everyone's numbers in certain categories esp. the ones raines excelled in..... what also might have hurt raines,i think i heard this quote attributed to him... when asked why he slid headfirst, he said i don't want to wreck the cocaine in my back pocket.... not 100 percent on this but i kind of remember this from somewhere.
F

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
i don't want to wreck the cocaine in my back pocket.... not 100 percent on this but i kind of remember this from somewhere.

nobody did more coke than the 86' Mets....

ALLSTAR coke heads...

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 12:41:29 PM »
Tim Raines

- has best stolen base success rate of all time (84.7%)
- only guy in history to steal 70+ bases six seasons in a row
- during 7 year stretch ('82-'88) he hed the NL in walks, singles, doubles and triples
- one of only four LFers in the expansion era (since '61) whose career OBP was at least 50 points better than the average hitter of their eras (Bonds, Rickey & Yaz are the others)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
Tim Raines

- during 7 year stretch ('82-'88) he hed the NL in walks, singles, doubles and triples
- one of only four LFers in the expansion era (since '61) whose career OBP was at least 50 points better than the average hitter of their eras (Bonds, Rickey & Yaz are the others)

Boom.

Thank you.
Y

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 05:27:44 PM »
Tim Raines

thats a CRAZY stat

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 06:18:33 AM »
Tim Raines

Where's my 'spos cap!?    :)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 06:19:49 AM »
Where's my 'spos cap!?    :)

I have extra Yankees cowboy hats if you need them.
Y

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 06:50:04 AM »
I have extra Yankees cowboy hats if you need them.
I saw those. Just. No. Worst swag, ever.  ;D

/yes. the jays did it, too. see at least one every game. *shudder*

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:38 AM »

I think Barry and clemens will get in ......then the others in about 10 years or so once memories fade a little.....

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
I saw those. Just. No. Worst swag, ever.  ;D

/yes. the jays did it, too. see at least one every game. *shudder*

Didn't realize that one was universal - I will NOT be keeping that piece of memorabilia, although I might tear off the logos.
Y