Author Topic: where are all the McGregor haters today?  (Read 14111 times)

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
Re: where are all the McGregor haters today?
« Reply #75 on: July 14, 2015, 04:15:10 AM »
worthless commentary. stop...

exactly, rory fell down helpless and wasn't able to get back up, he didn't know where he even was. Lalwer was the better man, NUF said.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #76 on: July 14, 2015, 05:54:04 AM »
exactly, rory fell down helpless and wasn't able to get back up, he didn't know where he even was. Lalwer was the better man, NUF said.
Some people need some reading comprehension skills. No shit Lawler finished Rory off, nobody is debating the stoppage or the fact that Lawler won.  The question was how could Rory be ahead 3-1 on every judges scorecard going into the 5th.

I said the judges were probably favoring Rory, because he landed more significant strikes up until that point. In fact, even after Lawler beat Rory up in the 5th, MacDonald still finished the fight with more significant strikes.

I was stating that scoring isnt based on the physical appearance of a fighter. You can get cut or swollen from one hit.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2015, 03:12:48 AM »

irishdave

• Getbig V
  • It ain’t over ‘TIL it’s over
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
McGregor is the King. Haters gonna hate.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2015, 05:14:13 PM »
Some people need some reading comprehension skills. No shit Lawler finished Rory off, nobody is debating the stoppage or the fact that Lawler won.  The question was how could Rory be ahead 3-1 on every judges scorecard going into the 5th.

I said the judges were probably favoring Rory, because he landed more significant strikes up until that point. In fact, even after Lawler beat Rory up in the 5th, MacDonald still finished the fight with more significant strikes.

I was stating that scoring isnt based on the physical appearance of a fighter. You can get cut or swollen from one hit.

Never understood scoring, too arbitrary. I mean, Lawler connected with everything for the first two. Hard to imagine anything Robbie hits you with isn't significant, especially when we saw Rory's face.

Rory destroyed him in the third - thought for sure he'd put him down with those elbows, but Lawler survived, and so on. Just seems so random to say x was more significant than y, when they both appear equally hurt by their respective pummelings.

Also, is that even part of a judge's criteria: significant strikes, power punches, etc., or are you just imagining how it might be swaying each's scorecard?

Shit, in boxing, seems Floyd rarely ever lands with much "significance," just outpoints everyone. Do we not do points in MMA?

Like I said, I'm clueless here.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
Never understood scoring, too arbitrary. I mean, Lawler connected with everything for the first two. Hard to imagine anything Robbie hits you with isn't significant, especially when we saw Rory's face.

Rory destroyed him in the third - thought for sure he'd put him down with those elbows, but Lawler survived, and so on. Just seems so random to say x was more significant than y, when they both appear equally hurt by their respective pummelings.

Also, is that even part of a judge's criteria: significant strikes, power punches, etc., or are you just imagining how it might be swaying each's scorecard?

Shit, in boxing, seems Floyd rarely ever lands with much "significance," just outpoints everyone. Do we not do points in MMA?

Like I said, I'm clueless here.
Definition of significant strikes: significant strikes refer to all strikes at distance and power strikes in the clinch and on the ground. It does not include small, short strikes in the clinch and on the ground. Those will be included in the Total Strikes category.

According to the fight statistics, Rory MacDonald landed 86 significant strikes compared to Lawler's 70.  So Rory had 16 more sig. strikes than Lawler for the entire fight, which means he probably had a bigger advantage than 16 before Lawler beat him up in the 5th.

They say that the judges score the bouts based on "effective striking, grappling, and Octagon control". Maybe they felt that MacDonald was more of the aggressor in the earlier rounds IE stalking Lawler down etc.......

There must have been something that the judges were agreeing on/seeing to all have MacDonald up 3-1 going into the 5th.  

I still believe there is room for subjectivity in the scoring system, which is why we have seen some absolutely terrible decisions over the years.

Just take your boy Lawler for example. He should have beat Hendricks the first time and lost the rematch, but it turned out the exact opposite.

Each judge also seems to have individual tendencies when it comes to scoring a fight. They said that two of the judges put more than normal value on active head jabs, which they said favored MacDonald. Judges can also put different weight to missed strikes as well as how tight you lock up a submission.  

So maybe MacDonald lucked up, and got paired with three judges who tend to score fights that favor his fighting style more than Lawler's.

That's why they always say that you never want to leave the fight in the hands of the judges :-X  Robbie made sure that didn't happen this time.     

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 06:47:59 PM »
Well, shit, that's not arbitrary at all. Thank you, sir.

Still, though, was this one fixed like Conor/Mendes?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 07:00:13 PM »
Well, shit, that's not arbitrary at all. Thank you, sir.

Still, though, was this one fixed like Conor/Mendes?
I don't want to believe that any fights are fixed. Way too much of a risk to ruin the entire sport of MMA forever. I know that Pride supposedly had that scandal with the Yakuza or whatever.......but America doesn't play that shit.

If it was ever found out that the UFC had fixed bouts, then it would fold immediately, and never be taken seriously again. Too many people would have to be in on it, and it simply could not be kept a secret.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2015, 07:05:26 PM »
Rory the day after the fight

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2015, 07:20:07 PM »
I don't want to believe that any fights are fixed. Way too much of a risk to ruin the entire sport of MMA forever. I know that Pride supposedly had that scandal with the Yakuza or whatever.......but America doesn't play that shit.

If it was ever found out that the UFC had fixed bouts, then it would fold immediately, and never be taken seriously again. Too many people would have to be in on it, and it simply could not be kept a secret.

It was pretend. Just mocking the dummies.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
That's why they always say that you never want to leave the fight in the hands of the judges :-X  Robbie made sure that didn't happen this time.     

Oh brother  ::)

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 08:35:42 PM »
Rory the day after the fight

Damn wonder if he will be the same after that beat down. I'm glad Lawler won I'm a big fan but if Rory would of layed it all on the line when he had him hurt he might of been able to put him away. Seems his coaches want him to point fight most of the time.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
Damn wonder if he will be the same after that beat down. I'm glad Lawler won I'm a big fan but if Rory would of layed it all on the line when he had him hurt he might of been able to put him away. Seems his coaches want him to point fight most of the time.

Two rounds in I thought Hendricks would take it in the last fight and basically the same with Rory in this one but one thing i've come to learn about Robbie....that dude is the consummate finisher. Kinda reminds me of Meldrick Taylor vs. Chavez....Taylor was up on the cards and all that but Chavez was steadily accumulating good shots and ended up getting the kayo victory at the end. He wore the other man down.

If you are in a 25 minute fight with Robbie Lawler you may win the first 15 minutes but the last 10 will be absolute brutality because that sonovabitch is not giving up.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2015, 09:08:27 PM »
Two rounds in I thought Hendricks would take it in the last fight and basically the same with Rory in this one but one thing i've come to learn about Robbie....that dude is the consummate finisher. Kinda reminds me of Meldrick Taylor vs. Chavez....Taylor was up on the cards and all that but Chavez was steadily accumulating good shots and ended up getting the kayo victory at the end. He wore the other man down.

If you are in a 25 minute fight with Robbie Lawler you may win the first 15 minutes but the last 10 will be absolute brutality because that sonovabitch is not giving up.

Ya I love the guy I hope he gets more love now.