Author Topic: Has anyone made significant flexibility gains?  (Read 3641 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Has anyone made significant flexibility gains?
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Like, gone from 'I'm a really inflexible person' to 'I can do the splits seven ways'?

If so, how did you do it?

I've never been able to stick with a stretching routine for more than 3 months.  I never saw any progress.

Every person demonstrating their flexibility always seems to me to be predisposed for flexibility... Like some tiny Asian girl talking about how she was able to do the splits after just six weeks one some routine.  I'm surprised she couldn't do them in the first place ::)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: Has anyone made significant flexibility gains?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:30:35 PM »
Like, gone from 'I'm a really inflexible person' to 'I can do the splits seven ways'?

I've never been able to stick with a stretching routine for more than 3 months.  I never saw any progress.

Every person demonstrating their flexibility always seems to me to be predisposed for flexibility... Like some tiny Asian girl talking about how she was able to do the splits after just six weeks one some routine.  I'm surprised she couldn't do them in the first place ::)

This is me stretching.

X

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 09:27:09 PM »
Coach bends over to 90 degrees rather often

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 09:30:32 PM »
In karate class when I was a teen. I've lost a lot of flexibility now in my 30s.   :-\

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 11:28:23 PM »
Cue Kenpo Machine to tell us how he is flexible enough to fold himself into an envelope to infiltrate his enemies homes, so he can destroy them in 10 seconds flat.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:59:50 PM »
I did when I reduced my lifting and focused on yoga. Maybe its possible to combine them both to a high degree but I find bodybuilding stiffins my schlong my limbs considerably.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:02:11 AM »

There are a lot of ways. Depending on the the routine. Flexibility is incorporated after warmup for about 3-5min and after training. It can be done during training In between sets. It's not that hard to program and shouldn't ever be neglected.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 12:04:55 AM »
Btw, stretching as far as the "splits" isn't necessary. If you've "overstretched" you have subluxation in your joints which eventually leads to injury.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:19:33 AM »
haha cephissus looking for advice so he can stretch just enough to suck himself in the shower

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 03:31:36 AM »
If you have never stretch before you can definitely improve your flexibility. If you have stretch regularly all your life, just like if you have done resistance training all your life, you will begin to lose flexibility, just like you will begin to lose strength, as you get older.

Something to keep in mind is that if you stretch, static stretching, before you weight train your muscle will be weaker. Also, as with everything in life, there are trade offs. The more mobility a joint has the less stability it has as well.

But as in everything, genetics has a lot do with how flexible you are and can become. B.J. Penn was never really that athletic and in great shape but what helped a lot in him becoming a Mundials Champion at a Black Belt level in less than four years was his insane flexibility. When trying to pass his guard it was like he had four arms.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:10 PM »
There are a lot of ways. Depending on the the routine. Flexibility is incorporated after warmup for about 3-5min and after training. It can be done during training In between sets. It's not that hard to program and shouldn't ever be neglected.

So, during those 3-5 minutes, what would you do?  Can you give an example stretching workout?

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 12:18:52 PM »
If you have never stretch before you can definitely improve your flexibility. If you have stretch regularly all your life, just like if you have done resistance training all your life, you will begin to lose flexibility, just like you will begin to lose strength, as you get older.

Something to keep in mind is that if you stretch, static stretching, before you weight train your muscle will be weaker. Also, as with everything in life, there are trade offs. The more mobility a joint has the less stability it has as well.

But as in everything, genetics has a lot do with how flexible you are and can become. B.J. Penn was never really that athletic and in great shape but what helped a lot in him becoming a Mundials Champion at a Black Belt level in less than four years was his insane flexibility. When trying to pass his guard it was like he had four arms.

Thanks... I assume you've stretched routinely, as part of your martial arts training?  Can you describe your routine?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 12:19:07 PM »
Take yoga.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 12:20:47 PM »
Take yoga.

No, don't. I wanted to work on my flexibility so I looked up a beginners routine. That shit nearly killed me.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »
This is me stretching.

this move is known as the schmoe stretch= named after it's originator schmoe weider...
F

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »
The fastest way to improve your range is to find a decent Active Release Techniques (ART) practitioner to work on your tight areas.

But extra range by itself (without strength) is usually not all that helpful and can be problematic, so you need to specifically work the new end ranges.

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 12:45:06 PM »
can any of you guys do the bending dog with your back completely straight without a bend?

I've never seen a man do that other than maybe an advanced pro yoga instructor, but most women get it on regular basis, especially the phat assed ones. I guess women's body structure allows them to get flexible much easier.

I tried it after good warm ups and I did bending dog for 20 minutes in 2 minute sets and only at the last set I was able to hold my back completely straight for few seconds and after I let go I felt like my lower back muscles got the best training I've ever had :D

correct

incorrect (lower back bent)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »

Lol, I cringed at the title of this video, until I noticed it was BJ Penn  :D

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 05:00:34 PM »
total love/hate affair with stretching. Gotta do them or my sciatic acts up and just missing one day sets me back. I don't think I could ever touch my hands flat on the floor, whenever I try to reach new levels, it aggravates issues. So I just do what is needed to maintain a level that keeps me injury free, all lower body stretches.
?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 05:06:43 PM »

Subluxated joints leads to injury in most cases. The example seen here wouldn't recommended.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 05:42:18 PM »
haha cephissus looking for advice so he can stretch just enough to suck himself in the shower

Gotta have a big dick to pull that off no matter how flexible you are.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
This is me stretching.

It doesn't surprise me that you would fantasize about another man mounting you from behind.