Author Topic: After UFC 189 I believe that Aldo will defeat Mcgregor  (Read 3628 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
After UFC 189 I believe that Aldo will defeat Mcgregor
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
Before Aldo got injured I wasn't sure if he could beat Mcgregor. I would have bet on him but Mcgregor is very unorthodox and a heavy hitter. You can never rule out someone that can put you away with just one punch. And fate (and the UFC) seems to be on Mcgregor's side. But I still leaned tentatively on the side of Aldo.

After watching UFC 189 I think Aldo will beat Mcgregor convincingly. What many don't realize is that Aldo was/is a world class Jiu-Jitsu competitor competing at a world class level. He beat four times Mundial champ, Reubens Cobrinha, twice in competition. Those involved in competitive Jiu-Jitsu know very well who Cobrinha is.

Taking nothing away from Mendes, I was surprised how easily he could take Mcgregor down. Even more importantly, far more importantly, is how helpless Mcgregor is on his back. Zero submission attempts and seems content to just lie there waiting for an opportunity to get back on his feet or if he sits there long enough the ref will stand them back up, even at one point pleading to the ref to stand them up.

The difference between Mendes and Aldo on the ground is that Mendes doesn't have the submission skills and ability to pass the guard that Aldo does. Passing the guard is just not something a wrestler does in his entire career as a wrestler whereas it is practiced daily by a Jiu-Jitsu student from his first day as a White belt. Also, despite his  huge reach advantage, Mcgregor wasn't as dominate in the stand up as I had expected. Aldo is a better stand up fighter than Mendes

Another thing to be noted is that Mendes was winning the fight. He won the first round and was winning he second round until the TKO. And he did this taking the fight on just under three week notice.

Even if one is a disciplined athlete and never far the gym year round, one would need; at the bare, bare minimal -- the scanty minimum -- at least six weeks to be ready for a world class event where you are competing against the best athletes on the planet. And don't forget your last week of training is already winding down considerably so Mendes barely had over a week of hard training to get ready for the top contender in his division. This was a not so insignificant advantage for Mcgregor.  

Aldo is a seasoned, grizzled warrior who will be completely unfazed by Mcgregor's antics in the Octagon. Aldo was already the WEC champ in 2009 in a stacked division that included the likes of Faber, Cub Swanson and Mendes. Though he started in 2008 fighting in small venues, Mcgregor was completely inactive in 2009 only to return to local events in a not so stacked MMA country.

Much to Dana White's disappointment, it will be Aldo for the win.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
Re: After UFC 189 I believe that Aldo will defeat Mcgregor
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »
Wrong.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:42:56 PM »
Before Aldo got injured I wasn't sure if he could beat Mcgregor. I would have bet on him but Mcgregor is very unorthodox and a heavy hitter. You can never rule out someone that can put you away with just one punch. So I leaned tentatively on the side of Aldo.

After watching UFC 189 I think Aldo will beat Mcgregor convincingly. What many don't realize is that Aldo was/is a world class Jiu-Jitsu competitor competing at a world class level. He beat four times Mundial champ, Reubens Cobrinha, twice in competition. Those involved in competitive Jiu-Jitsu know very well who Cobrinha is.

Taking nothing away from Mendes, I was surprised how easily he could take Mcgregor down. Even more importantly, far more importantly, is how helpless Mcgregor is on his back. Zero submission attempts and seems content to just lie there waiting for an opportunity to get back on his feet or if he sits there long enough the ref will stand them back up, even at one point pleading to the ref to stand them up.

The difference between Mendes and Aldo on the ground is that Mendes doesn't have the submission skills and ability to past the guard that Aldo does. Passing the guard is just not something a wrestler does in his entire career as a wrestler whereas it is practiced daily by a Jiu-Jitsu student from his first day as a White belt. Also, despite his  huge reach advantage, Mcgregor wasn't as dominate in the stand up as I had expected. Aldo is a better stand up fighter than Mendes

Another thing to be noted is that Mendes was winning the fight. He won the first round and was winning he second round until the TKO. And he did this taking the fight on just under three week notice.

Even if one is a disciplined athlete and never far the gym year round, one would need; at the bare, bare minimal -- the scanty minimum -- at least six weeks to be ready for a world class event where you are competing against the best athletes on the planet. And don't forget your last week of training is already winding down considerably so Mendes barely had over a week of hard training to get ready for the top contender in his division. This was a not so insignificant advantage for Mcgregor.  

Aldo is a seasoned, grizzled warrior who will be completely unfazed by Mcgregor's antics in the Octagon. Aldo was already the WEC champ in 2009 in a stacked division that included the likes of Faber, Cub Swanson and Mendes. Though he started in 2008 fighting in small venues, Mcgregor was completely inactive in 2009 only to return to local events in a not so stacked MMA country.

Much to Dana White's disappointment, it will be Aldo for the win.

He knocked him out in the second round.

What more did you expect?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 08:51:22 PM »
He knocked him out in the second round.

What more did you expect?

You realized that I am talking about Jose Aldo? Mendes was winning both rounds when he made the mistake of going for a submission opening himself up for Mcgregor to escape and to land the knock out punch. As I said before, you can never rule out a heavy hitter. One mistake and it's lights out. I don't think Aldo will make that mistake. He is far too experienced fighting and beating the best fighters in the world. And, also, it was obvious the Mendes wasn't in top shape. He didn't have enough time to get ready for a fighter of Mcgregor's level. Still he was winning. Aldo will not have that issue.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »
Agree, pellius.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
You realized that I am talking about Jose Aldo? Mendes was winning both rounds when he made the mistake of going for a submission opening himself up for Mcgregor to escape and to land the knock out punch. As I said before, you can never rule out a heavy hitter. One mistake and it's lights out. I don't think Aldo will make that mistake. He is far too experienced fighting and beating the best fighters in the world. And, also, it was obvious the Mendes wasn't in top shape. He didn't have enough time to get ready for a fighter of Mcgregor's level. Still he was winning. Aldo will not have that issue.

Jose Aldo is one of the very best p4p fighters of all time. He is about as close as it gets to MMA God. No doubt about it.

Mendes never had a prayer last night. Yeah his little take downs were kinda cute and all that but McGregor was dealing a good amount of damage on his back and never really in trouble. On the feet it wasn't even close. If Herb Dean doesn't stop the fight in the second, McGregor plays with him until he decides to put him out of his misery in the third.

And that's not even getting into the mental drain McGregor put on him with his psychology. Why was Mendes going along with it by laughing during the fight? Very submissive looking body language.

Chael Sonnen summed it up best "Mendes was looking for a way out of that fight"

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 12:28:10 AM »
wall of text.

the best pound for pound fighter in ufc history who hasnt lost for 10 years you reckon will beat mcgregor?

thats amazing.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:04:37 AM »
Jose Aldo is one of the very best p4p fighters of all time. He is about as close as it gets to MMA God. No doubt about it.

Mendes never had a prayer last night. Yeah his little take downs were kinda cute and all that but McGregor was dealing a good amount of damage on his back and never really in trouble. On the feet it wasn't even close. If Herb Dean doesn't stop the fight in the second, McGregor plays with him until he decides to put him out of his misery in the third.

And that's not even getting into the mental drain McGregor put on him with his psychology. Why was Mendes going along with it by laughing during the fight? Very submissive looking body language.

Chael Sonnen summed it up best "Mendes was looking for a way out of that fight"

"Cute" take downs? Mendes never had a prayer? Mcgregor was "dealing" a good amount of damage and never really in trouble?

According to ESPN, the judges score card had Mendes ahead 10-9 after the first round. Things went even worse for Mcgregor for most of the second round which was spent mostly on his back. One simply cannot generate any striking power when you are on your back. The blood on Mcgregor's face was all you need to know about how things were going for him. Mcgregor easily suffer more damage in his ten minutes with Mendes than he has in all his fights combine.

Mendes, by his own admission, made a mistake going for a guillotine which opened him up and gave Mcgregor and opportunity to escape. One mistake is all you need to make when dealing with a heavy hitter.

But thank you for your response. It gave me a clear idea of where you are coming from. My initial post was very long and gave lengthy and reasoned specifics. My post was more intended for those with a bit more hands on experience and technical knowledge of MMA than the casual fan.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 05:49:41 AM »
"Cute" take downs? Mendes never had a prayer? Mcgregor was "dealing" a good amount of damage and never really in trouble?

According to ESPN, the judges score card had Mendes ahead 10-9 after the first round. Things went even worse for Mcgregor for most of the second round which was spent mostly on his back. One simply cannot generate any striking power when you are on your back. The blood on Mcgregor's face was all you need to know about how things were going for him. Mcgregor easily suffer more damage in his ten minutes with Mendes than he has in all his fights combine.

Mendes, by his own admission, made a mistake going for a guillotine which opened him up and gave Mcgregor and opportunity to escape. One mistake is all you need to make when dealing with a heavy hitter.

But thank you for your response. It gave me a clear idea of where you are coming from. My initial post was very long and gave lengthy and reasoned specifics. My post was more intended for those with a bit more hands on experience and technical knowledge of MMA than the casual fan.

I don't think the terms I used sound any more silly than your quote "Mcgregor wasn't as dominate in the stand up as I had expected".

Said in reference to a guy who won by kayo in the second round and had his opponent gassed 2 minutes into the fight by landing brutal body strikes.

If anything I should be questioning YOUR knowledge of the sport.

Which I'm not...I know you have been in and around the sport for years. I just have so much respect for you.

At the same time that does seem like a really naive statement.

Hell I was honor roll debate class 3 years back in high school. I could easily put a lipstick on the pig that was Mendes' performance by highlighting a few take downs, a couple hail mary shots that landed, Conor's cut etc etc

And I have zero ill will towards Chad Mendes. In fact, his entrance left me feeling tingly inside. Him walking into the cage draped in the American flag. Aaron Lewis up there playing "Country Boy" with an acoustic guitar. God damn I was fired up!!!

But I deal in reality pellius and we both know in a rematch Vegas would have McGregor as a pretty significant favorite because at the end of the day he just has Mendes' number when it comes to the cage.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 06:01:10 AM »

I don't think he was winning the first, he had a takedown sure but he was back peddling getting tagged with shots the whole round. He was taking body kicks the whole time and it caused him to gas

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 06:20:34 AM »
I didnt think that McGregor deserved the title shot so soon.  Being a talented showman is great, but it felt like the UFC was trying to manufacture things too much, too soon.

I'm glad things worked out the way they did.  McGregor proved he can beat elite competition, and won the interim belt in the process. Now, Aldo absolutely has to fight Connor, or risk getting his title stripped.

It also worked out for the UFC. They can pimp the hell out of an undisputed championship bout between Aldo and McGregor.

McGregor's win helped make the matchup an even bigger draw than before.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 06:52:20 AM »
I don't think the terms I used sound any more silly than your quote "Mcgregor wasn't as dominate in the stand up as I had expected".

Said in reference to a guy who won by kayo in the second round and had his opponent gassed 2 minutes into the fight.

If anything I should be questioning YOUR knowledge of the sport.

Which I'm not...I know you have been in and around the sport for years. I just have so much respect for you.

At the same time that does seem like a really naive statement.

Hell I was honor roll debate class 3 years back in high school. I could easily put a lipstick on the pig that was Mendes' performance by highlighting a few take downs, a couple hail mary shots that landed, Conor's cut etc etc

And I have zero ill will towards Chad Mendes. In fact, his entrance left me feeling tingly inside. Him walking into the cage draped in the American flag. Aaron Lewis up there playing "Country Boy" with an acoustic guitar. God damn I was fired up!!!

But I deal in reality pellius and we both know in a rematch Vegas would have McGregor as a pretty significant favorite because at the end of the day he just has Mendes' number when it comes to the cage.

Again let me remind you that the judges had Mendes ahead 10-9 after the first round. He also had Mcgregor on his back for much of the second and was even more dominate.

You seem to imply that Mcgregor knocking out Mendes invalidates my claim that he wasn't as dominate as I had expected. I base this on Mcgregor's previous performance, his reach advantage, the disadvantage to Mendes for taking a fighter of this caliber on such short notice, and the fact the judges (and myself) had Mcgregor losing. And, as I had made abundantly clear, you can never rule out a heavy hitter. It's not the first time a heavy hitter has come from behind and win because of landing that knockout strike. Mcgregor had come from behind to win.

And we just have a very difference perspective when it comes to MMA. Saying someone isn't as dominate as one had expected (in this case actually losing) and calling tossing another man on the mat three times in one round and cutting him up with elbows as "cute" or that you can do any serious damage, under UFC rules, striking from your back, means we come from very different worlds. That's why I suspect you have zero hands on experience in MMA.

You may be able to put lip stick on a pig or whatever you think is a witty analogy and claim you deal with reality but the reality is the judges, who do this for a living, who are professionals, who have been judging fights while you were still in diapers, had Mcgregor losing. In addition, all the MMA websites that had a play by play summary of the fight also had Mendes winning. And please don't presume to know what I think. In a rematch, Mendes will have more than just a week of real training and preparation and he is the one who has Mcgregor's number. Mendes will have a much better odds a second time around when conditions are more favorable, or rather, more equal, to both fighters.

Just a small example of those, those who do this for a living, scoring in real time, also scored it the same as the professional judges scoring it live in Vegas. 10-9 in Mendes favor

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC-189-Results-Mendes-vs-McGregor-PlaybyPlay-Updates-88933#chad-mendes-conor-mcgregor

Sherdog Scores
Jordan Breen scores the round 10-9 Mendes
Chris Nelson scores the round 10-9 Mendes
Jeff Sherwood scores the round 10-9 Mendes

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/11/8934315/ufc-189-mendes-vs-mcgregor-live-results-and-play-by-play-for-ppv-main-card

Mendes with another takedown. Passed to side and looked for a crucifix. Settled for half. Mendes looked for a guillotined and was warned by the ref for "fingers". I assume he means that he's trying to pull on his cut. 10-9 Mendes.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/7/6/8900549/ufc-189-live-results-stream-play-by-play-updates-mendes-mcgregor-lawler-macdonald-las-vegas-mma

Takedown from Mendes who passes to half immediately. Now into side control. McGregor regains half. Left from Chad. Mendes looking for a topside guillotine, can't get it, gets warned from Herb Dean for having open fingers near the eyes.
10-9 Mendes.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2015, 06:53:57 AM »
I don't think he was winning the first, he had a takedown sure but he was back peddling getting tagged with shots the whole round. He was taking body kicks the whole time and it caused him to gas

Well, everybody who does this for a living, most notably the actual judges, had it 10-9 Mendes.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2015, 06:59:42 AM »
Well, everybody who does this for a living, most notably the actual judges, had it 10-9 Mendes.
Pellius, you don't "come from behind" after only one round in the books.

There is a reason that fights are 3 and 5 rounds respectively.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 07:00:50 AM »
I didnt think that McGregor deserved the title shot so soon.  Being a talented showman is great, but it felt like the UFC was trying to manufacture things too much, too soon.

I'm glad things worked out the way they did.  McGregor proved he can beat elite competition, and won the interim belt in the process. Now, Aldo absolutely has to fight Connor, or risk getting his title stripped.

It also worked out for the UFC. They can pimp the hell out of an undisputed championship bout between Aldo and McGregor.

McGregor's win helped make the matchup an even bigger draw than before.

Yes, at first when Aldo had to drop out I thought it was bad for the UFC and everybody else. I was wrong. This will pump up the fight with Aldo even more and considering that fight broke all live gate records. I expect Aldo v Mcgregor to do even better.

But it seems this thread has gotten side tracked still rehashing a fight that's over. I wanted this thread to be about Aldo and Mcgregor and why I am confident he will win when before his fight with Mendes I wasn't that sure. I still leaned in Aldo's favor but now after watching Mcgregor's performance against an ill prepare Mendes I am very confident, and would actually put money down, in favor of Aldo. And I am NOT a betting man.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 07:03:52 AM »
Pellius, you don't "come from behind" after only one round in the books.

There is a reason that fights are 3 and 5 rounds respectively.

Yes, you do. Mcgregor was losing after the first round. He was behind.

The term "come from behind" is used widely in MMA as well as in other sports. It means that according to the score cards you are losing on points.

What's not to understand?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 07:06:51 AM »

I would agree with the official scoring, takedowns are valuable in the scoring system. However, in the actual fight, conor was the aggressor and Chad was holding on, even in the initial exchanges he was backing up and on the cage. I honestly don't see how a take down is more damaging then 3-5 straight body kicks. When they got up in the second chad was basically running, he was being dominated on the feet, far more then he was dominating on the ground. Conor knew it was over when they stood back up, mendes tried to run basically and got tagged on the cage like siver, brandao etc.. they all back up and can't withstand his clean power.

Mendes stood in the pocket with Aldo.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:07:36 AM »
Yes, at first when Aldo had to drop out I thought it was bad for the UFC and everybody else. I was wrong. This will pump up the fight with Aldo even more and considering that fight broke all live gate records. I expect Aldo v Mcgregor to do even better.

But it seems this thread has gotten side tracked still rehashing a fight that's over. I wanted this thread to be about Aldo and Mcgregor and why I am confident he will win when before his fight with Mendes I wasn't that sure. I still leaned in Aldo's favor but now after watching Mcgregor's performance against an ill prepare Mendes I am very confident, and would actually put money down, in favor of Aldo. And I am NOT a betting man.
One thing is for certain: Every champion's reign ends eventually. Aldo last fought in Oct. 2014, so he will likely go a year or more out of the ring. McGregor will be the bigger, stronger fighter with a 4 inch reach advantage (not counting his kicking ability)

I would venture to say that it is time for Aldo to put his Black Belt in BJJ to good use.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 07:08:07 AM »

pellius seems to put alot of stock in takedowns while completely disregarding striking and conditioning.

Probably watched one too many Dan Gable VHS tapes.

We'll never know what might have been had Herb Dean not stopped the fight in the second but I doubt it would have been very pleasant for Mendes.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »
Yes, you do. Mcgregor was losing after the first round. He was behind.

The term "come from behind" is used widely in MMA as well as in other sports. It means that according to the score cards you are losing on points.

What's not to understand?
Technically? Yes.  But you are using it in the terms that Mendes was somehow dominating McGregor. Losing the first round of a five round fight, is nothing to brag (or panic) over.

Your point would hold more weight, if Mendes had been up 3-1 or 4-0, and then McGregor came back for the stoppage.

It was simply too early in the fight to claim that Mendes had control of anything.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »
pellius seems to put alot of stock in takedowns while completely disregarding striking and conditioning.

Probably watched one too many Dan Gable VHS tapes.

We'll never know what might have been had Herb Dean not stopped the fight in the second but I doubt it would have been very pleasant for Mendes.
Unfortunately, the judges do too sometimes. Takedowns should count for something, but not as much as they are now.

Taking someone down should just be a means to try a submission, or gain dominant control to unleash ground and pound.

Little should be awarded when someone takes a guy down, and the other fighter almost immediately pops back up, or if you take a guy down and just lay on him to rest, without doing any "work".

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2015, 07:23:51 AM »
Joon has bought Pellius' account.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »
Joon has bought Pellius' account.

Unless you're playing, no. Joon couldn't construct paragraphs or articulate as well as p.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
Unfortunately, the judges do too sometimes. Takedowns should count for something, but not as much as they are now.

Taking someone down should just be a means to try a submission, or gain dominant control to unleash ground and pound.

Little should be awarded when someone takes a guy down, and the other fighter almost immediately pops back up, or if you take a guy down and just lay on him to rest, without doing any "work".

I'm find myself leaning more and more towards McGregor in the match versus Aldo.

One punch kayo power with his left. Reach. Chin. Psychology.

All of those are clear advantages for McGregor.

I also would like to expand upon the point you presented earlier concerning Aldo's lack of submission wins over the past 10 years.

Aldo has never faced anything like McGregor before.

I do not feel strong about my prediction.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »
Technically? Yes.  But you are using it in the terms that Mendes was somehow dominating McGregor. Losing the first round of a five round fight, is nothing to brag (or panic) over.

Your point would hold more weight, if Mendes had been up 3-1 or 4-0, and then McGregor came back for the stoppage.

It was simply too early in the fight to claim that Mendes had control of anything.

I'm not going to argue such trivia. But starting this thread did make me realize one thing: I have never posted in the MMA section on this board. I have never started a thread on MMA on this board. I rarely ever comment on MMA threads. I just figure that I am on a lot of MMA boards and this is primarily a bodybuilding board and if I want to talk about MMA I might as well do it with those that are actually active in the sport and are familiar with a lot of the subtleties involved. Just like there are subtleties involved in bodybuilding. When I first saw Pumping Iron I couldn't see how the judges could tell the difference between all these bodybuilders. To me they all looked the same. It's only years later being involved in bbing that I was able to see how Arnold was so vastly superior.

When Rorion Gracie first showed me a tape of a Vale Tudo fight in Brasil where one of the fighters was a Jiu-Jitsu fighter from his brother's school in Rio I didn't see anything special. It just looked like a couple of guys just rolling around. It was only after a few years of training when I went back and watched the tape again could see things that I would have never noticed before I started training.

What was I think starting an MMA thread on a bodybuilding board?

My bad.