Author Topic: 4 Marines killed in attacks on Chattanooga military facilities  (Read 2819 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Tragic.  I hope this wasn't another Radical Islamist attack.

4 Marines killed in attacks on Chattanooga military facilities
Last Updated Jul 16, 2015

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- A gunman unleashed a barrage of gunfire at two military facilities Thursday in Tennessee, killing at least four Marines and wounding a soldier and a police officer, officials told CBS News. The suspect also was killed.

Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke said five people died in all, including the gunman. Two law enforcement sources told CBS News that the shooting suspect was identified as Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez.

U.S. Attorney Bill Killian said officials were treating the attacks as an "act of domestic terrorism," though FBI Special Agent in Charge Ed Reinhold said authorities were still investigating a motive.

Officials told CBS News correspondent David Marin that four U.S. Marines were among the dead and another was injured. The U.S. Marines released a statement saying that the injured Marine was a recruiter who was treated and released after sustaining a wound to the leg.

A police officer also was shot in the ankle and is expected to be ok.

"Lives have been lost from some faithful people who have been serving our country, and I think I join all Tennesseans in being both sickened and saddened by this," Gov. Bill Haslam said.

A facility 7 miles away on Old Lee Highway also was attacked. Brian Lepley, a spokesman with the U.S. Army Recruiting Command in Fort Knox, Kentucky, said his recruiters there were told by law enforcement that the shooter was in a car, stopped in front of the facility, shot at the building and drove off.

The Army recruiters at the facility told Lepley they were not hurt and had evacuated; Lepley said he had no information about recruiters for the other branches at the facility.

Sgt. 1st Class Robert Dodge, 36, is the center leader for U.S. Army recruiting at the facility on Old Lee Highway. He said four Army personnel were in the office at the time. He said the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and National Guard all have their own offices right next to each other. Around 10:30 or 10:45 a.m., Dodge and the others heard a gunshot, "which kind of sparked our attention," he said.

"Shortly after that, just a few seconds, the shooter began shooting more rounds. We realized it was an actual shooting," he said. They then got on the ground and barricaded themselves in a safe place. Dodge estimated there were 30 to 50 shots fired.

He did not see the shooter or a vehicle.

The Army recruiting office was not damaged, but doors and glass were damaged at the neighboring Air Force, Navy and Marine offices.

Reinhold said all the dead were killed at the Navy Operational Support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center Chattanooga. It sits between Amnicola Highway and a pathway that runs through Tennessee RiverPark, a popular park at a bend in the Tennessee River northeast of downtown Chattanooga. It's in a light industrial area that includes a Coca-Cola bottling plant and Binswanger Glass.

The two entrances to the fenced facility have unmanned gates and concrete barriers that require approaching cars to slow down to drive around them.

Marilyn Hutcheson, who works at Binswanger Glass just across the street, said she heard a barrage of gunfire 11 a.m.

"I couldn't even begin to tell you how many," she said. "It was rapid fire, like pow pow pow pow pow, so quickly. The next thing I knew, there were police cars coming from every direction."

She ran inside, where she remained locked down with other employees and a customer. The gunfire continued with occasional bursts she estimated for 20 minutes.

"We're apprehensive," Hutcheson said. "Not knowing what transpired, if it was a grievance or terroristic related, we just don't know."

They've seen dozens of emergency vehicles rush by: bomb teams, SWAT teams, and state, local and federal authorities.

The Armed Forces Career Center on Lee Highway sits in a short strip between a Cricket Wireless and an Italian restaurant with no apparent additional security.

Near the other shooting location on Lee Highway, Nicholas Donohue heard a blast of gunshots while working at Desktop Solutions. But he had music playing and wasn't quite sure what the noise had been. He turned off the music and seconds later, a second blast thundered. He took shelter in a back room.

"Even though it knew it was most likely gunfire I heard, you also don't want to believe it's happening in the moment," he said. "Since I didn't see anything, I couldn't be sure."

By the time he emerged, police were cordoning off the area.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-police-officer-shot-near-tennessee-army-recruiting-center/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: 4 Marines killed in attacks on Chattanooga military facilities
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 01:48:51 PM »

the cool thing about "I hope this wasn't..." is that you can interject religion, politics, and blame into a tragedy without even knowing the facts.

On the lib boards, they're using "I hope this wasn't a confedrate-flag flying obama-hating gun nut", showing equal immaturity and ignorance. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:00:22 PM »
 ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- A gunman unleashed a barrage of gunfire at two military facilities Thursday in Tennessee, killing at least four Marines and wounding a soldier and a police officer, officials told CBS News. The suspect also was killed.

Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke said five people died in all, including the gunman. Two law enforcement sources told CBS News that the shooting suspect was identified as Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez.

U.S. Attorney Bill Killian said officials were treating the attacks as an "act of domestic terrorism," though FBI Special Agent in Charge Ed Reinhold said authorities were still investigating a motive.

Officials told CBS News correspondent David Marin that four U.S. Marines were among the dead and another was injured. The U.S. Marines released a statement saying that the injured Marine was a recruiter who was treated and released after sustaining a wound to the leg.

"Lives have been lost from some faithful people who have been serving our country, and I think I join all Tennesseans in being both sickened and saddened by this," Gov. Bill Haslam said.

A facility 7 miles away on Old Lee Highway also was attacked. Brian Lepley, a spokesman with the U.S. Army Recruiting Command in Fort Knox, Kentucky, said his recruiters there were told by law enforcement that the shooter was in a car, stopped in front of the facility, shot at the building and drove off.

The Army recruiters at the facility told Lepley they were not hurt and had evacuated; Lepley said he had no information about recruiters for the other branches at the facility.

Sgt. 1st Class Robert Dodge, 36, is the center leader for U.S. Army recruiting at the facility on Old Lee Highway. He said four Army personnel were in the office at the time. He said the Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps and National Guard all have their own offices right next to each other. Around 10:30 or 10:45 a.m., Dodge and the others heard a gunshot, "which kind of sparked our attention," he said.

"Shortly after that, just a few seconds, the shooter began shooting more rounds. We realized it was an actual shooting," he said. They then got on the ground and barricaded themselves in a safe place. Dodge estimated there were 30 to 50 shots fired.

The Army recruiting office was not damaged, but doors and glass were damaged at the neighboring Air Force, Navy and Marine offices.

Reinhold said all the dead were killed at the Navy Operational Support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center Chattanooga. It sits between Amnicola Highway and a pathway that runs through Tennessee RiverPark, a popular park at a bend in the Tennessee River northeast of downtown Chattanooga. It's in a light industrial area that includes a Coca-Cola bottling plant and Binswanger Glass.

The two entrances to the fenced facility have unmanned gates and concrete barriers that require approaching cars to slow down to drive around them.

Marilyn Hutcheson, who works at Binswanger Glass just across the street, said she heard a barrage of gunfire 11 a.m.

"I couldn't even begin to tell you how many," she said. "It was rapid fire, like pow pow pow pow pow, so quickly. The next thing I knew, there were police cars coming from every direction."

She ran inside, where she remained locked down with other employees and a customer. The gunfire continued with occasional bursts she estimated for 20 minutes.

"We're apprehensive," Hutcheson said. "Not knowing what transpired, if it was a grievance or terroristic related, we just don't know."

They've seen dozens of emergency vehicles rush by: bomb teams, SWAT teams, and state, local and federal authorities.

The Armed Forces Career Center on Lee Highway sits in a short strip between a Cricket Wireless and an Italian restaurant with no apparent additional security.

Near the other shooting location on Lee Highway, Nicholas Donohue heard a blast of gunshots while working at Desktop Solutions. But he had music playing and wasn't quite sure what the noise had been. He turned off the music and seconds later, a second blast thundered. He took shelter in a back room.

"Even though it knew it was most likely gunfire I heard, you also don't want to believe it's happening in the moment," he said. "Since I didn't see anything, I couldn't be sure."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-police-officer-shot-near-tennessee-army-recruiting-center/

weird comment

you'd feel better if it was just another American nutjob who decided to go on a mass shooting?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »

Are you being sarcastic???
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
weird comment

you'd feel better if it was just another American nutjob who decided to go on a mass shooting?

Indeed. If the confederate flag had been banned sooner, this unfortunate act of man-made destruction would have been averted.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 02:26:37 PM »
 :-\

Gunman identified in shooting deaths of 4 Marines at Tennessee Navy facility
Published July 16, 2015
FoxNews.com

BREAKING NEWS: The gunman who shot and killed four Marines Thursday during two attacks at military facilities in Chattanooga, Tenn., has been identified as Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez, a law enforcement souce confirmed to Fox News.

The Associated Press reported Abdulazeez, 24, was believed to have been born in Kuwait, although it was not clear if he was a U.S. or Kuwaiti citizen. He was reported to be from Hixson, Tenn., just across the river from Chattanooga.

The law enforcement source said preliminary reports indicate Abdulazeez, who also died, was not on the FBI's radar leading up to Thursday's attacks.

The gunman first shot up a recruiting center before driving to the Navy Operational Support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center and killing four Marines before he was shot, authorities said. Sources told Fox News police chased the gunman from the recruiting center to the Center, where the killings took place.

“We are treating this as an act of domestic terrorism,” said Bill Killian, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee.

The names of the Marines who were reportedly shot were not immediately released pending notification of their families. The Navy Operational Support Center and Marine Corps Reserve Center lies along a bend in the Tennessee River, northeast of downtown Chattanooga.

Despite Killian's statement, an FBI Special Agent Ed Reinhold told reporters that it may have been a criminal act. The gunman was killed, but authorities did not comment on his identity, motivation or the circumstances of his death. Authorities said the gunman did not work at either military facility.

Marilyn Hutcheson, who works at Binswanger Glass just across the street from the center on Amnicola Highway, said she heard a barrage of gunfire around 11 a.m.

"It was rapid fire, like pow pow pow pow pow, so quickly"

- Marilyn Hutcheson, a witness

President Obama was briefed by his national security team on the shooting involving two military sites, according to White House spokesman Eric Schultz.

In the first incident, the gunman, in a silver Mustang, drove up to the Armed Forces Career Center in a strip mall on Lee's Highway and sprayed the facade with gunfire before driving off, officials said. An unidentified police officer was shot in the ankle, but not seriously injured, according to reports.

A federal law enforcement official told Fox News that officers from FBI's Knoxville field office responded to the scene.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that there is a heavy police presence at the scene, along with five ambulances.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it was holding departing flights at their gates in Chattanooga, with delays projected to last 15 minutes or less.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/16/shooting-reported-at-chattanooga-army-recruiting-center-college-on-lockdown/

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 02:31:10 PM »
According to sources at NBC, an arrest warrant has been issued for George Zimmerman in connection with the shooting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 02:49:15 PM »
According to sources at NBC, an arrest warrant has been issued for George Zimmerman in connection with the shooting.

lol   :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »
Indeed. If the confederate flag had been banned sooner, this unfortunate act of man-made destruction would have been averted.  

Georgie you seem to be phoning it in these days

Can't you at least make a little bit of effort

The fundie nutbags name was Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 02:55:06 PM »

Too bad Zimmerman wasn't on patrol this morning

probably too tired from a long night of stalking unarmed teenagers

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »
weird comment

Dos E like his shooters like he likes his beer and violence.

Domestic.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:49 PM »

Dos E like his shooters like he likes his beer and violence.

Domestic.

our home grown secular or racist nutbags are a lot more deadly

the verdit on the Colorodo Shooter who killed 12 and wounded 70 will be read in a few minutes

this fundie dipshit probably couldn't get laid and probably thought he had a fast track to a gang bang with 70 virgins

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
So how many Muslim terrorist attacks is that now on American soil under Barack Hussein Obama's watch?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »
So how many Muslim terrorist attacks is that now on American soil under Barack Hussein Obama's watch?

Still no where near the body count of what your boy Bush let happen in day

phony "coach"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
weird comment

maybe he would.   damn, fuct up.

wow.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Still no where near the body count of what your boy Bush let happen in day

phony "coach"

And here you have it. The typical lib response. This is why no one takes you people seriously. Outside of academics you have the commonsense of a 9 year old.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
maybe he would.   damn, fuct up.

wow.

Wow what? He's part of the problem. He hasn't done shit to stop it. Their already calling this "domestic terrorism" which likely means if he would have lived he would have been tried in a civilian court.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 05:27:51 PM »
Wow what? He's part of the problem. He hasn't done shit to stop it. Their already calling this "domestic terrorism" which likely means if he would have lived he would have been tried in a civilian court.

what if some white dude blows up something in the USA and blames his religion for it?

is that domestic terrorism?  or religious attack?

cause this dude was from TENN.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 05:30:11 PM »
And here you have it. The typical lib response. This is why no one takes you people seriously. Outside of academics you have the commonsense of a 9 year old.

you're one that brought it so let's review

random muslim fundie wakes up and decides to do that standard american "grab your gun and go on a shooting rampage"

compared to a long planned terrorist attack where the POTUS had numerous warnings that he chose to ignore

remember you're the dipshit who started in with blaming the current POTUS for the attack today so stop your crying like a little bitch when we explore YOUR PREMISE

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »

Haven't you forgotten the Republican response to the standard american mass shooting

Sorry folks, nothing we can do about it.  It's just gonna happen and you gotta get used to it

Maybe buy some more guns or something.  Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with gun and all that other shit you guys like to say after typical amercan mass shooting

Shit, this loser doesn't even make the A Team for American gun nut.  He only killed 4 people and wounde one other person

He's third string or maybe farm league

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »

What are 3 steps obama should have taken to 'stop this'?

You criticize him for not stopping it - what actions would have stopped this?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 06:01:46 PM »
Starting to look like it might have been a lone wolf attack.   :-\

Four Marines Killed in Chattanooga Shootings
By RICHARD FAUSSET, ALAN BLINDER and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
JULY 16, 2015

A memorial near the shooting site in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Thursday. Credit Erik S. Lesser/European Pressphoto Agency

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Four United States Marines were killed Thursday after a gunman opened fire at two military facilities here, and the federal authorities said they were investigating the episode as an act of domestic terrorism.

The gunman, identified by the Federal Bureau of Investigation as Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, 24, was also killed, and several others, including a police officer and a Marine Corps recruiter, were wounded. A senior Congressional official who had been briefed by law enforcement officials said Mr. Abdulazeez was a Kuwaiti-born Jordanian who became a naturalized citizen. (Earlier reports spelled the gunman’s name as Muhammad Youssef Abdulazeez.)

“Somebody brutally and brazenly attacked members of our armed services,” the Chattanooga police chief, Fred Fletcher, said at a news conference, where Mayor Andy Berke described Thursday as “a nightmare for the city.”

The gunman was not on the government’s radar, but law enforcement officials said that Mr. Abdulazeez’s father had been under investigation several years ago for possible ties to a foreign terrorist organization. At one point, a law enforcement official said that the father was on a terrorist watch list and was questioned while on a trip abroad but that he was eventually removed from the list. The official cautioned that the investigation of the father was old and did not generate any information on the son.

A booking photo, taken in April and released by the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office in Tennessee, shows a man identified as Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez.

President Obama told reporters Thursday in a brief statement in the Oval Office that, while all the details of the shooting were not yet known, the killings appeared to be the work of a lone gunman.

Mr. Obama expressed his “deepest sympathies” and described the deaths of the four Marines as “heartbreaking.”

“I’d ask all Americans to pray for the families who are grief-stricken at this point,” he said.

Jeh Johnson, the homeland security secretary, said in a statement that officials were “enhancing the security posture at certain federal facilities, out of an abundance of caution.”

Here in Chattanooga, the United States attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, William C. Killian, said that the F.B.I. was leading the investigation and that federal officials were “treating this as an act of domestic terrorism.” But he, like other federal officials, cautioned that the investigation would ultimately determine how the shooting would be classified.

Police officers entered the Armed Forces Career Center through a bullet-riddled door in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Thursday. Credit John Bazemore/Associated Press

Edward W. Reinhold, the special agent in charge of the bureau’s Knoxville division, said investigators had “not determined whether it was an act of terrorism or a criminal act.” He said he expected “several hundred” bureau employees to join the inquiry by the end of the day.

Investigators said the shootings unfolded over about 30 minutes at midmorning, first at a military recruiting center on Lee Highway and later at a Naval Reserve facility on Amnicola Highway less than 10 miles away. All of the fatalities occurred at the second scene, where Marines and sailors are trained for reserve duty.

Carolyn Taylor, an employee at Binswanger Glass, which has offices across the street from the Navy building on Amnicola Highway, said she had heard scores of gunshots in the hours before city officials announced, at around 1:15 p.m., that the “active shooter situation” had concluded.

“At least 100, at least, because it was several at one time,” said Ms. Taylor, who added that police officers had swarmed into the area, their weapons drawn, “and then, within seconds, we heard the gunfire.”

David Vaughn, 56, the president of VMO Graphics Inc., a commercial printer nearby, said he quickly locked down his plant after hearing gunshots and seeing an officer behind a police cruiser pointing a gun toward the reserve center.

The printing staff was quickly joined, Mr. Vaughn said, by employees and customers from Binswanger Glass, who fled across the street when the police searched the store.

They waited for hours, he said, watching television, talking and occasionally looking through a glass door to the wooded area the highway where the reserve center is. They saw a number of officers walk into the woods carrying shotguns after putting on bulletproof vests.

Mr. Vaughn said they were worried. “Are they coming this way? Are there more than one? It was unknown at that moment,” he said. Hours later, the police gave them an all-clear.

Officials said they believed that before the rampage at the reserve building, formally known as the Navy Operational Support Center, the gunfire began at an armed forces recruiting center tucked into a khaki-colored strip mall where the green hills of eastern Tennessee are visible in the distance. On Thursday afternoon, more than 20 bullet casings littered the parking lot.

Yellow police tape restricted access to the lot, but numerous bullet holes were visible in the plate glass of the recruiting center, which is wedged between a mobile phone retailer and an Italian restaurant. The bullet holes formed a rough horizontal line, suggesting that the gunman sprayed the weapon from one side to the other.

A gunman opened fire at a military recruiting office at about 10:45 a.m. Thursday. A police chase ensued, and several people were killed at a naval reserve center about 30 minutes later.

Michael Usher, 37, a Chattanooga resident, was waiting near the tape for word from his wife, Jackie Barber, who works at the phone store. He said that she had told him the business was having a good day when the employees heard two pops. “Pow pow,” he recalled.

Then, his wife told him, “It was rapid shots: pow pow pow pow pow pow.”

The workers dived to the ground and crawled to the back of the store. A few minutes later, Mr. Usher said, they emerged and saw a man in a Ford Mustang quickly leave the parking lot.

The day of gunfire unnerved Chattanooga, one of Tennessee’s largest cities and a place known more for its scenery and tourism than talk of terrorism and violence. After the shootings, local universities ordered lockdowns, and officials investigated reports of gunfire at the Bradley Square Mall, located in the Chattanooga suburb of Cleveland.

But much of the speculation turned out to be unfounded.

“There have been no shots fired at Bradley Square Mall,” the mall’s management said on its Facebook page, which added that a lockdown it had imposed was “a safety precaution.”

In Chattanooga, however, the horror was vivid and wrenching. In a statement, the Navy secretary, Ray Mabus, called the shootings “both devastating and senseless.”

He added, “While we expect our sailors and Marines to go into harm’s way, and they do so without hesitation, an attack at home, in our community, is insidious and unfathomable.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/17/us/chattanooga-tennessee-shooting.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 06:07:48 PM »
Haven't you forgotten the Republican response to the standard american mass shooting

Sorry folks, nothing we can do about it.  It's just gonna happen and you gotta get used to it

Maybe buy some more guns or something.  Only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with gun and all that other shit you guys like to say after typical amercan mass shooting

Shit, this loser doesn't even make the A Team for American gun nut.  He only killed 4 people and wounde one other person

He's third string or maybe farm league

+1