Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409294 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1650 on: May 01, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
nice posts jay,,,

leg day

leg press 4 plates side x15/5 x12/6x12/7x10/8x8
v squat hammer 4 plates/5/5 and 25
stair lunge walkups 45 plate per hand up/down/up/down 2x around
extensions x4x12

hams
single leg standing curlx4 70-100
sldl 135/185/205/225

calves 5 sets leg press

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1651 on: May 02, 2016, 02:13:43 AM »
Finished off my first week working out at LA fitness today. Although I could have done most of the exercises I did in the usual  and customary way, I chose to make this week a whole new experience....both mentally and physically. The freshness of using equipment I've not used before has been invigorating. Physically, I'm managed to utilize each muscle group in a slightly different way just by using alternate equipment and/or coming at the movement from a different angle. The result is that the mild muscle soreness suggests this was successful.

Today I worked quads and calves. One example of how the movements changed is leg presses. Instead of pushing the weight loaded foot plate up, you push you body away from the foot plate using a seated position. This way you can set how close you want your knees to come to your chest and you start the exercise from that position. I really liked how it made my feet feel firmly planted and placed and how I could avoid overextending my knees using another adjustment. I imagine this really reduces the possibility of knee and back injury. Leg extensions felt awkward at first. It took some tweaking of the settings to get the movement to feel right. Instead of hack squats, I was able to do V-squats. These too seemed kinder on my knees, although I found I was just breaking parallel instead of doing them "ass to the grass" style.

To work my buns more directly, I did lunges on a ramp using the handrail for balance. I don't feel I have a secure balance otherwise. I tried doing them across the open floor and it seemed like I might lose my balance and fall over. This hindered me from concentrating on the movement. My calves got a really good workout. I found where the seated calf raises are located today.

In general, I sacrificed resistance on most exercises, while increasing reps to make up for that. Next week, I will up the resistance.

When I got home, I notice this weird creeping vascular look I've been experiencing lately has started in my quads. If it keeps up, I will look like a human road map from head to toe. I used to think veins popping out of your skin looked freakish. I am over that now. I like how it gives the appearance of having thin skin. There is just this one problem area in my lower back where there is still some fat. It is a hard area to work. I think this is also why my ass still looks flat to me. All this self analyzing strikes me a my being very vain, which I already knew I was. But shit, the guy I see in the mirror sure as heck does not look any thing like your average 72 year old and I am loving it!  ;D

still some good years in you yet :)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1652 on: May 02, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »
Leg day:

Squats 5 x 8 135 to 240lbs Finished by sinking one rep with 290lbs
Hack squats 2 x 12 (Haven't done these in ages. Sank deep but felt weak with this)
leg extensions 2 x 12
Stiff leg deadlift 2 x 6 205lbs
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 95lbs

ab wheel 2 x 20
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

4 way neck 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

This one personal female trainer is driving me nuts. She is arrogant and shows her clients the wrong technique in so many exercises. An example of this is tricep pushdowns with a pulley. Partial reps and she has her client upper arm moving all over the place.  Acts like she owns the gym when she pays the owner to train clients there. 

There is a guy in his 70's that looks like he is in his 50's.  Likes to use low reps and a lot of weight in everything. He doesn't train fast but steady.  Really impressive. I'm sure a young steroid guy wouldn't appreciate his vitality but I do. 

My daughter's puppy is leaving bruises and cuts all over my forearms.  I wonder if people think why does this guy always have wounds?  It's from rough housing on the floor with this maniac. 

After training I took the pup for his walk in the woods by my house. It's nice solitude with a lake.  Dog loves it. Had trouble walking after leg day. Going down hill was tough. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1653 on: May 02, 2016, 08:43:43 AM »
rich how does the 70 yr old look ,good friend from the gym will be 70 he trains like a maniac looks late 50's in good shape vascular ropes for veins in arms 'carries a jug workout formula'he sips when he's there he trains 2 hrs to 3 per session 5 days or when he can ,DOES A LOT OF SETS ...hi rep days and low reps and strong for his age extremely actually ..legs are skinny he reps those but he will do leg press 20 plates on it wrapped knees and rep 'I like him a lot tho but he does partial reps compared to me on leg press'he considers himself a'natural'compared to most users he gets a shot 7-10 days of some test its working  :)...he has great arms and a little belly but lean overall he still eats like he's bulking for size...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1654 on: May 02, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
Leg day:

Squats 5 x 8 135 to 240lbs Finished by sinking one rep with 290lbs
Hack squats 2 x 12 (Haven't done these in ages. Sank deep but felt weak with this)
leg extensions 2 x 12
Stiff leg deadlift 2 x 6 205lbs
standing leg curl 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs
seated calf 2 x 15 95lbs

ab wheel 2 x 20
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

4 way neck 2 x 15

Gym Observations:

This one personal female trainer is driving me nuts. She is arrogant and shows her clients the wrong technique in so many exercises. An example of this is tricep pushdowns with a pulley. Partial reps and she has her client upper arm moving all over the place.  Acts like she owns the gym when she pays the owner to train clients there. 

There is a guy in his 70's that looks like he is in his 50's.  Likes to use low reps and a lot of weight in everything. He doesn't train fast but steady.  Really impressive. I'm sure a young steroid guy wouldn't appreciate his vitality but I do. 

My daughter's puppy is leaving bruises and cuts all over my forearms.  I wonder if people think why does this guy always have wounds?  It's from rough housing on the floor with this maniac. 

After training I took the pup for his walk in the woods by my house. It's nice solitude with a lake.  Dog loves it. Had trouble walking after leg day. Going down hill was tough. 

Are the cuts and bruises caused by the dog's nails? If so, you could trim them or have them trimmed. We trim our dogs nail using a Dremel. It leaves them fairly smooth. Some groomers use the Dremel and some just clip them using dog nail clippers. Dog's with black nails are that hardest to trim because you cannot see where the vein is. If you cut them too short you will know it instantly as the nail will bleed and the dog will yelp.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1655 on: May 02, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »
Are the cuts and bruises caused by the dog's nails? If so, you could trim them or have them trimmed. We trim our dogs nail using a Dremel. It leaves them fairly smooth. Some groomers use the Dremel and some just clip them using dog nail clippers. Dog's with black nails are that hardest to trim because you cannot see where the vein is. If you cut them too short you will know it instantly as the nail will bleed and the dog will yelp.

Yes, I guess the nails. This pug would never sit still while a dremel whirled. It would freak him out. He gets his nails cut at the vet's.  I hate using the dog clippers. Dogs always act like they are in pain when I use them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1656 on: May 02, 2016, 06:44:51 PM »
rich how does the 70 yr old look ,good friend from the gym will be 70 he trains like a maniac looks late 50's in good shape vascular ropes for veins in arms 'carries a jug workout formula'he sips when he's there he trains 2 hrs to 3 per session 5 days or when he can ,DOES A LOT OF SETS ...hi rep days and low reps and strong for his age extremely actually ..legs are skinny he reps those but he will do leg press 20 plates on it wrapped knees and rep 'I like him a lot tho but he does partial reps compared to me on leg press'he considers himself a'natural'compared to most users he gets a shot 7-10 days of some test its working  :)...he has great arms and a little belly but lean overall he still eats like he's bulking for size...

The guy doesn't look like a bodybuilder but he looks in shape and he is lean.

20 plates on the leg press? Must be really shallow knee bends. I mentioned this numerous times before. Guys love showing off with the big weights but they are delusional because they are using a limited range of motion.  Always seeing guys put two 45lbs plates on the dipping belt and then barely bend their arms in the dips. Then they get off and strut.  I wonder if they could do 15 real body weight dips through a real range of motion?

Just saw a guy today I call Mr. Impressed with himself. Every machine the pin is near the bottom of the stack but his reps are just partials. I bet he doesn't even know he is ego lifting. If he wasn't doing partials he couldn't use half the weight he uses.

Any guy in their 70's like prime who hit the weights hard I am in awe of.  The guy I talk of in my previous post even does sprint intervals on the treadmill. Just insane.

On another topic I just finished watching Ric Drasin interview with Ed Guiliani. He said he has no joint issues at his age and he still lifts weights. Maybe training fast with moderate weights is the way to go instead of heavy and relatively slow.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1657 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
Yes, I guess the nails. This pug would never sit still while a dremel whirled. It would freak him out. He gets his nails cut at the vet's.  I hate using the dog clippers. Dogs always act like they are in pain when I use them.

Lucy, my neurotic Rat Terrier submits to the dremel. I hold her while my son-in-law does the filing. She's pretty good until the last couple of nails and then she wants it over with. I've clipped her nails by myself with  good success. She has white translucent nails so there is no issue with seeing just where to chop them off. Unfortunately, clipped nails are never as smooth as they are when using a dremel.

Another alternative for you is to have this pup spend time playing/walking on concrete, which naturally wears down their nails.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1658 on: May 02, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »
Worked out at a different LA Fitness today. It is a new build location....very slick. This LA Fitness has about half the equipment the one I used last week does. So being slick looking isn't all it's cracked up to be. I worked triceps, biceps and forearms. Like with the other LA Fitness, I had to be pretty inventive to get the forearm workout in since they have zero equipment to target them. This being said, the workout was good and my arms are looking big even though the measurements say otherwise.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1659 on: May 02, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
been awhile bit pushed chest in different way tonight'supersets'

fdb press with flyes..50 db with 35 flye 10x10/60 with 40 10x10,65 and 45 flyes 10x8,70 and 45 9 x8,,great pump

inc db and inc flye..50 db 1st set,,dropped 2nd set 45 press 45 flye ,45 and 45 smoked had to go to35's for last reps on flyes

seated chest press x3 135 'stack machine'with decline pushups x3

tris
premade bar skull crushers 60/70/70 x10 with close grip presses back toback x10
rope pushdowns x3 x10-12
single cable grip side pushdowns x2
dip machine 170-190 10 reps

abs

treadmill

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1660 on: May 03, 2016, 03:51:48 AM »
Jumped rope to warm up..

Incline Bench press
pull ups
upright rows(wide grip)
Incline ez french press
ez bar curls
stiff legged Deadlifts
front squats
calf raises(seated)
Incline sit ups

3 sets per exercise 10-15 reps. nothing fancy.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1661 on: May 03, 2016, 05:07:56 AM »
Jumped rope to warm up..

Incline Bench press
pull ups
upright rows(wide grip)
Incline ez french press
ez bar curls
stiff legged Deadlifts
front squats
calf raises(seated)
Incline sit ups

3 sets per exercise 10-15 reps. nothing fancy.

good to see your going strong again keep going......how's strength?recovery going...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #1662 on: May 03, 2016, 05:14:56 AM »
good to see your going strong again keep going......how's strength?recovery going...
Feeling good. I like doing full body at the moment. I have to take now and again 2 Days off between workouts but itīs ok. Good to be able to do bodyweight chins again.  8) Like to hang from the bar and stretch my spine.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1663 on: May 03, 2016, 05:32:24 AM »
Feeling good. I like doing full body at the moment. I have to take now and again 2 Days off between workouts but itīs ok. Good to be able to do bodyweight chins again.  8) Like to hang from the bar and stretch my spine.
8)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1664 on: May 03, 2016, 09:05:00 AM »
Cardio day:

6 x 440 yards(400meters)

Hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds.

Gym Observations:

Had to tell a female personal trainer that I would like to hit the heavy bag that she was training her two clients by.  It's an open spot for a reason. It's to hit the damn bag trainer.

Couldn't go as hard as I would have liked on the treadmill. Had family over yesterday and I broke my rule about not drinking beer during the week.

I think I'm looking leaner but I'm gaining weight. Am I delusional or am I putting on muscle?  Gained 2 pounds in about 3 weeks.  Maybe I just weighed myself at different times.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1665 on: May 04, 2016, 04:56:25 PM »
Delt and arms:

Press behind neck. Warmed up and loaded up the bar with 135lbs. I took it off the squat rack on my traps. I did two reps and it just didn't feel right. In my younger days I would have completed the set. Now I know to stop.

Military press 2 x 8 115lbs (cleaned the weight first and went all the way down each rep)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 35lbs
Machine laterals 2 x 10 70lbs (fairly controlled reps)
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 260lbs

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
pulley curls straight bar 3 x 12
concentration curls 2 x 12 25lbs-20lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (deep. I have to up the weight on this)
Tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
rope pushdowns 2 x 12

wrist curls 2 x 30 90lbs
reverse grip pulley curls 2 x 12

Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 20
Ab machine 2 x 20

I went on the treadmill and ran a half mile.  So shot from lifting I won't do this again. I like to alternate days for lifting and cardio. In my younger days I could combine but not now.

Gym Observations:

So many people don't have a clue what they are doing. I see better form and a fuller range of motion from more women than men. I really believe they are just clueless.

A hot blonde was using the dip assist machine in a tank top that had side boobage. Yes, I checked it out and was caught by a woman on the treadmill.  She smiled.   :P

Saw a guy spitting in the parking lot. What is it with some guys? I have never walked down the block and felt the need to spit. What is going on in their mouth that is so foul they need to spit it out?  These guys probably go home and watch tv picking out belly button lint and other disgusting stuff. Don't ask why I alcohol my hands in the gym.

Saw a guy with well over 400lbs and he did something that resembled barbell shrugs. At least his shoulders went up a quarter inch.  WTF? Lower that bar to 250lbs and move your damn shoulders up and down instead of looking like you are having some kind fit you buffoon.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1666 on: May 04, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »
today was funeral mass for our friend it was very sad but beautiful as well'mass'music and saying goodbye,,i cried a lot but at least she's in peace and now her family can go on in her memory..

back
front pulldowns .150/165 180/185
tbar row standup version lying face down 2 plates x10/2 plates 10 and 2 plates 2 tens ,drop to 2 plates x13
seated row machine 'stack'version side grip x3
2 sets underhand hammer pulldown machine 2 plates and 2 plates and 10 per side sets of 10
lower cable rope pulls from bottom to waist x3

weighted hypers x3 x12 45 lb plate

traps
shrugs 185 x12 no straps,225 x12 no straps,275 x3 sets x10 straps

abs
treadmill

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1667 on: May 05, 2016, 12:18:06 PM »
Trained my back yesterday at a 24 hour Fitness. There were a lot of heavy lifters there but not much equipment. I do like that all these gyms have cutouts in the larger plates which make them easier to load and unload. Not one gym of the four I've been to over the past couple of weeks has 100 lb plates like Oregon City Nautilus does. I like using them on the leg press.

Every gym is a little different. In the case of 24 Hour Fitness, the one I signed up at has folded towels throughout the gym for those who like laying down a towel on the equipment or who sweat a lot. These towels are free to who ever needs or wants them to use. When you're done with the towel, you just deposit it in one of the laundry containers scattered about. The 24 Hour Fitness I trained at yesterday did not have towels.

Another nuisance there was that the locker room floor is tiled and not carpeted. At first I thought this was a good idea for sanitary reasons. Unfortunately most of the floor was wet from those folks who don't properly towel off when leaving the showers.

There was nothing spectacular about my back workout. I pretty much did my normal routine using the same equipment I've used for years at the Oregon City gym. I am mildly sore so I must have gotten something out of the workout.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1668 on: May 05, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »
today was funeral mass for our friend it was very sad but beautiful as well'mass'music and saying goodbye,,i cried a lot but at least she's in peace and now her family can go on in her memory..

back
front pulldowns .150/165 180/185
tbar row standup version lying face down 2 plates x10/2 plates 10 and 2 plates 2 tens ,drop to 2 plates x13
seated row machine 'stack'version side grip x3
2 sets underhand hammer pulldown machine 2 plates and 2 plates and 10 per side sets of 10
lower cable rope pulls from bottom to waist x3

weighted hypers x3 x12 45 lb plate

traps
shrugs 185 x12 no straps,225 x12 no straps,275 x3 sets x10 straps

abs
treadmill

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope in time that you and her loved ones will find peace.  In so many of these tragedies we mourn for our self over the loss but the one who is lost is the one who is truly found. " I once was lost but now I'm found"

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1669 on: May 05, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »
Sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope in time that you and her loved ones will find peace.  In so many of these tragedies we mourn for our self over the loss but the one who is lost is the one who is truly found. " I once was lost but now I'm found"

well said,,and true..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1670 on: May 06, 2016, 08:16:15 AM »
Trained back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Seated long pulls 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row off bench 2 x 10 80lbs (all the way down and up)
Hammer strength pulldowns 2 x 10

Hammer incline bench 2 x 8 (two 45lbs on each side and some smaller plates)
Incline dumbbell press 2 x 8 70lbs (all the way down)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Machine flies 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 3 with 315lb
weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

ab wheel 2 x 20
seated crunch machine 2 x 15

Gym observations:

Some guy started talking to me. I started a set and he continued to talk. WTF?  He was waiting for a response but I'm going to failure.  Does he have a clue?  I know with his casual sets he can talk with people but I can't.

Love this place. There was chalk everywhere by the deadlift area. How many gyms can you even use chalk?

It was raining side ways and I thought the gym would be empty. No, it was packed. Does anyone have a job anymore?

The f$%ken weekend is here. Cold beer in the fridge. Time to go to work and come home to that cold chubby waist maker that is beer.  Actually looking kind of lean. No, nowhere near ripped. I will try to limit myself to 4 beers tonight. That's 600 calories. Yikes!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1671 on: May 06, 2016, 08:46:08 AM »
delts/bi/forarms

started side lateral 20x15/25x12,,,then drop pump sets 30x10/25x10 20x10 x2..
fr press 115/135/145/115x15
rear delt raises standing with db 35 x3x12
rope cable uprights x3

bi's
cable curls x4
db seated alt curls 30/35/35 dbs sets 10
seated padded curl machine x3
cable row seated curls single grips done together x2

forarms wrist curls cable fr and rear 3 front 4 rear

treadmill jog short interval 10 minute good sweat to finish workout had great overall pump all over

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1672 on: May 06, 2016, 12:23:51 PM »
Donny says he's been banned again. I have no idea what he got banned for this time. Seems like the moderators could come up with a better more mature way of handling things and perhaps stay out of people's personal arguments.

Today I will meet with a trainer from 24 hr. Fitness for an hour as part of my membership there. I should probably save my pec workout today for when I meet with him so we have something to do. On the other hand, I think I will go ahead and do it before the meeting so I can get all the routine in as I like. If anyone has ideas regarding what to go over with the trainer, let me know. This is not something I ever thought about doing. I did let him know that I have been lifting since I was 18 years old so he shouldn't be expecting someone with no experience and who is totally out of shape like many guys my age are.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1673 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Donny is banned. When the kids attack him he fights back. I was hoping he would use the ignore method.

I notice some trainers don't believe in empirical knowledge of lifting. After all they have a week training certificate and they know everything there is to know about training.

Even many PhD's in exercise physiology need to be checked. One female all pompous with her doctor credentials was telling me everyone should be training in super slow mode.  Where in athletics is anything done in slow motion?  If you want to run faster you should sprint, jump and use explosive lifts like Olympic lifting. The worst thing you can do is slow motion squats or leg extensions. Another related note when you look at a book on exercise physiology look at the book jacket for the PhD writer. Every one I have seen shows a head shot of a chubby guy.

What we have in lifting is theories. If it's "proven" theories then it's fact. We don't have facts. What we have are theories based again on empirical knowledge. I will take the advice from a guy that has trained for 50 years over a 25 year old with a personal training certificate and his own steroid syringe supply.  

What to gain single rep strength? Use low reps. What to gain muscular endurance not to be confused with cardio endurance use volume. I have to stop and have another beer.  Later.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #1674 on: May 07, 2016, 07:02:55 PM »
Maybe Donny should keep his supposed beastiality videos on his PC instead of posting them on getbig. :)
Not a problem with him "defending" himself or arguing with "the kids".
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!