Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 409010 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #1800 on: July 15, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
I, the other one of us two, continued working out at home this week. Interesting results from leg nights, my quads, hams and glutes seem to respond well to less resistance and many more reps. This is similar with upper body exercises, although the variety of movements is much less than it is at the gym. This doesn't mean I am giving up on going to the gym. Variety is the 'spice of life'.

Since the OP, Donny is still banned on Getbig, I checked out the other website forums he's currently posting on. So far, they seem much more on target and the folks are more civil to one another. Getbig has a distinctive style....which is extremely snarky most of the time. I know I've posted comments on Getbig that were alien to my usual style, which is very much more positive and far less critical. It is the culture here and sometimes, for some folks, it brings out our ugly and mean sides. You are one of the exceptions. Your posts are always right on.
8)..thank you jay,,i hope donny is well...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1801 on: July 15, 2016, 06:56:44 PM »
delts/bi's/forearms

side laterals 15x15/20x12/25x12,30x12,30x12
fr press 115/135/145/115x20
cable rope front raise x4
overhead cable rear raise x3
2 sets finish cable raise behind back 12 reps per

bi's premade curl bar curls 60lb x12/80x10/90x10/100 x8 with lil cheat lol..
seated curl machine padded/pitched version x3
db curls standing bent over db by knee 'concentration style'30 db/40'sx2 x10
cable rope hammer curls x2 x12-15 to finish it off

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1802 on: July 26, 2016, 12:37:35 PM »
anyone ever do a circuit like this at the end of a workout...12 dips- 12 chinups-30 pushups -15 lat pullldowns non-stop repeat 3-5 times ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. i did this a few times training in a commercial gym... people looked at me like i was nuts.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1803 on: July 26, 2016, 12:42:29 PM »
anyone ever do a circuit like this at the end of a workout...12 dips- 12 chinups-30 pushups -15 lat pullldowns non-stop repeat 3-5 times ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???. i did this a few times training in a commercial gym... people looked at me like i was nuts.
no but sounds good...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1804 on: July 26, 2016, 12:49:28 PM »
did chest/tri/abs 1st full workout since week off hard training due to vaca,,

we are down viewers here so I will try to post my usual routines daily..

seated chest press 'seated machine/w stack..4 sets after few slow warmups
hammer press machine plate and 45,2 plates,2 plates and 10's and 5,2 plates and 25 per side
inc press..135/145/155/165-135 drop
cable crossovers x3 x12-15
lower cable flyes x2

tris
front pushdowns 120/130/140 sets 10
dip machine x3 170/185/190 10/12
lying premade bar skull crushers  with close grip presses x3 60/70/70 10 x10 reps
single arm extensions x2

abs superset crunch machine seated with roman chair leg lifts 20 reps per x4

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1805 on: October 26, 2016, 11:50:58 AM »
Yesterday was cardio day. I did 6 x 800 meters (half mile). My fastest was 7 minute pace. I then hit the heavy bag for three rounds. My abs were sore the next day. Not sure if it was from hitting the bag or the running.

Today I did legs:

Squats 3 x 8 going up to 235lb (tried to go deep. Legs shot from yesterday)
Dumbbell squat 2 x 12 80lbs dumbbells (rock bottom knee bend)
stiff dead 2 x 6 205lbs
leg extensions 2 x 12 195lbs
standing leg curls 2 x 12

standing calf 2 x 12 195lbs (naturally different machine have different leverage. My home machine I use 325lbs.
seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs

4 way neck machine 2 x 15

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lbs
ab crunch machine 2 x 20

Gym observations:  How come the majority cheat every exercise they do by doing half to 3/4 reps?  I know it's to feed their ego and trying to impress others using the "heavy" weight. One guy for example uses the seated shoulder press machine. He drops the seat the the lowest position and now the bar is around forehead level. He puts the pin near the bottom and then does partial reps.  When he got up I put the pin the last plate and easily did reps with the advantage of having the seat low. This sport is full of insecure guys. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1806 on: October 27, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »
Way, way over 45 here. Training for me for the next two weeks will be walking down the hill from my son's home in Germany and back. Although it is probably less than a mile, the hill is steep no matter which streets you take. I'm usually winded and my legs are pumped by the time I get to the door. Fortunately, there is a rest spot at the church about halfway up the hill. We're about to head out for today's walk.

I'll do some "arm work" tonight when we go out to dinner and drinks....wine or more often beer. We are celebrating my son's 50th today.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1807 on: October 28, 2016, 02:08:28 PM »
Military press 2 x 6 135lbs (cleaned the weight from the floor and went all the way down for each press.
Dumbbell lateral 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 40lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10 80lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 255lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs(all the way down. No cheat reps)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Rope pushdowns 2 x 12

EZ curls 2 x 10 90lbs
machine scott curls 2 x 10
concentrations curls 2 x 10 25lbs ( I do these very strictly. No body english)

Forearm wrist curls 2 x 20 95lbs
Rope grip curls 2 x 10

Floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind head. Careful with ab work since I sprained a hip flexor a couple of days ago.  A groin pull.

Gym Observation:  The gym is packed with cops in the morning.  The other group are old people and very few women today.

The owner is in great shape. Very lean and a former top raw power lifter specializing in the deadlift.  He is built more like Zane than a power lifter. He doesn't power lift anymore that I can see. He is into martial arts.  The few times I saw him train he used very moderate weights and he didn't seem to push himself.Go figure. He looks great.

My groin pull makes it hard to put on my socks. Surprisingly it didn't affect my delt and arm day workout.  Even cleaning the light weight of 135lbs for presses didn't hurt it. Just odd what is painful. Lifting my leg to get into my car hurts. I can't even pin point how I hurt it. I think it was hitting the bag but it could be the ab crunch machine that I sometimes feel in my groin and upper leg region.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1808 on: October 28, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »
Military press 2 x 6 135lbs (cleaned the weight from the floor and went all the way down for each press.
Dumbbell lateral 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 40lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10 80lbs
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 255lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs(all the way down. No cheat reps)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 10
Rope pushdowns 2 x 12

EZ curls 2 x 10 90lbs
machine scott curls 2 x 10
concentrations curls 2 x 10 25lbs ( I do these very strictly. No body english)

Forearm wrist curls 2 x 20 95lbs
Rope grip curls 2 x 10

Floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind head. Careful with ab work since I sprained a hip flexor a couple of days ago.  A groin pull.

Gym Observation:  The gym is packed with cops in the morning.  The other group are old people and very few women today.

The owner is in great shape. Very lean and a former top raw power lifter specializing in the deadlift.  He is built more like Zane than a power lifter. He doesn't power lift anymore that I can see. He is into martial arts.  The few times I saw him train he used very moderate weights and he didn't seem to push himself.Go figure. He looks great.

My groin pull makes it hard to put on my socks. Surprisingly it didn't affect my delt and arm day workout.  Even cleaning the light weight of 135lbs for presses didn't hurt it. Just odd what is painful. Lifting my leg to get into my car hurts. I can't even pin point how I hurt it. I think it was hitting the bag but it could be the ab crunch machine that I sometimes feel in my groin and upper leg region.  

nice rich

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1809 on: November 01, 2016, 04:12:47 AM »
Yesterday' workout. New job is killing my energy. One hour each way and 10 hour day. It's a part time retirement job but on the days I work I find it tough to hit the gym.  I worked Back and chest yesterday after work.

Power cleans and jerks 4 x 3 135, 160, 165, 170 ( breathing like a race horse)
Deadlifts 1 x 5 315lb
Pull ups 3 x max (the prior really cut down reps. Full range all the way up from the hang)
Seated long pulley rows with a V handel2  12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Bench 1 x 6(When will I learn my slap tear in my shoulder won't let me straight bar bench)
Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8
Incline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (don't ask weight. shoulder screaming from trying to flat bar bench)
Dumbbell flies 2x 10 48llbs
Push ups 2 x 25 (used conventional and push up handles.)

Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head (Used conventional horizontal "hyper" extension bench.

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 24
Pulley crunch 2 x 25

Gym Observations:  Trained at home after a long day at work. My job is not physical but it left me drained. Not complaining but I'm sure many of you know what I mean. I gave up straight bar benching for years. It seems every couple of months I think if I start out light I will be able to to progress to using respectable poundage again.  I guess I have to see it's not in the cards for me. I know in 6 months I will foolish try again.  I can use the Hammer Strength bench 3 plates a side and the shoulder protests but nothing like when just using 135lb with a bar. It just feels like I'm damaging the joint further. At this point I just refuse to get it repaired. I just don't want to stop lifting for months and maybe find that the operation really didn't improve the function of the joint. Dumbbells, push ups and machines for pecs from now on. I know in 6 months I will think again, "If I start out using 135lbs and progress I will be using 300lbs in my workouts again." No, it's not going to happen.

When ever I hear a guy saying he can't use a favorite exercise he used in his youth I always bring up there are 300 exercises in the gym. Just let it go and work around it.  Time to use my own advice.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1810 on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:09 AM »
Yesterday' workout. New job is killing my energy. One hour each way and 10 hour day. It's a part time retirement job but on the days I work I find it tough to hit the gym.  I worked Back and chest yesterday after work.

Power cleans and jerks 4 x 3 135, 160, 165, 170 ( breathing like a race horse)
Deadlifts 1 x 5 315lb
Pull ups 3 x max (the prior really cut down reps. Full range all the way up from the hang)
Seated long pulley rows with a V handel2  12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows off a bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Bench 1 x 6(When will I learn my slap tear in my shoulder won't let me straight bar bench)
Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8
Incline Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 (don't ask weight. shoulder screaming from trying to flat bar bench)
Dumbbell flies 2x 10 48llbs
Push ups 2 x 25 (used conventional and push up handles.)

Weighted back extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head (Used conventional horizontal "hyper" extension bench.

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 24
Pulley crunch 2 x 25

Gym Observations:  Trained at home after a long day at work. My job is not physical but it left me drained. Not complaining but I'm sure many of you know what I mean. I gave up straight bar benching for years. It seems every couple of months I think if I start out light I will be able to to progress to using respectable poundage again.  I guess I have to see it's not in the cards for me. I know in 6 months I will foolish try again.  I can use the Hammer Strength bench 3 plates a side and the shoulder protests but nothing like when just using 135lb with a bar. It just feels like I'm damaging the joint further. At this point I just refuse to get it repaired. I just don't want to stop lifting for months and maybe find that the operation really didn't improve the function of the joint. Dumbbells, push ups and machines for pecs from now on. I know in 6 months I will think again, "If I start out using 135lbs and progress I will be using 300lbs in my workouts again." No, it's not going to happen.

When ever I hear a guy saying he can't use a favorite exercise he used in his youth I always bring up there are 300 exercises in the gym. Just let it go and work around it.  Time to use my own advice.

listen to your body,,i know you do like me are stubborn,i'm same with chest/shoulder WARM UP/MODERATE WEIGHTS.PUMP STYLE,,on a good not I can db press again and up to 70's again'flat'since 1 yr ago shoulder pull,,2 yrs before that I hurt upper back bad and lost same l/s strength wise I was up to 90's then took time to get back to 80's again then last oct hurt again to get to 70's is good like to get to 80's at least ,,90's I think i'm done ...flyes I can get to 50's again I was done on theses could not even do 25's  :'(

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1811 on: November 02, 2016, 01:17:27 PM »
listen to your body,,i know you do like me are stubborn,i'm same with chest/shoulder WARM UP/MODERATE WEIGHTS.PUMP STYLE,,on a good not I can db press again and up to 70's again'flat'since 1 yr ago shoulder pull,,2 yrs before that I hurt upper back bad and lost same l/s strength wise I was up to 90's then took time to get back to 80's again then last oct hurt again to get to 70's is good like to get to 80's at least ,,90's I think i'm done ...flyes I can get to 50's again I was done on theses could not even do 25's  :'(

You do what you can do. Just trying to be happy with the things I can do.  

Legs today at commercial gym:

Squats for 6 sets. Progressed from 135lbs ending with 300lbs.
Dumbbell squats holding them at sides 2 x 12 85lbs. (went deep. legs fully bent)
leg extensions 2 x 12 195lbs (I know the weight is meaningless. My home unit 80lbs is heavy.
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Standing calf 2 x 12 190lbs
Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs (noticed a lot of guys really load up this machine and do partials. I don't)

4 way neck machine. 2 x 20

Hanging leg raise 2 x 20
Floor crunch with 5 lbs plate behind head. 1 x 50

Gym Observations:

A seriously in shape tall blonde was working out. Never saw her before. She really could be a fitness model. Never saw a girl of this caliber in this hard core gym. Usually saw the gorgeous ones at the fancy gym two miles down the road. She really could be a Hollywood "it" girl. Smoking hot.

A new personal trainer is making the rounds in the gym. I saw him have a middle age guy doing  light deadlifts. Then at some point he added chains to the bar. Last sets he raised the bar on blocks for partials.  Really? The guy he is training is not training to be a power lifter. Why so many moderate weight variations of deadlifts?  I swear I haven't seen one personal trainer with any knowledge at the commercial gyms I've been to. A good trainer should be educating their client how to train on their own. What I see is trainers confusing their clients by changing exercises every workout to confuse the hell out them. One woman trainer scans the gym while her client is doing reps to see what machine to put her client on next. Zero thought and everything is on a whim.  Another thing personal trainers do is one at the most two sets per exercise. Not a bad thing but their motivation is to get the client finished in 35 minutes so they can move on to the next.  All of them do something like 6 exercises for one or two sets for each client. One even chats with their client as they do their reps.  Really? Then can't be exerting them self.  

One 60 year old guy works out all the time in a button down collar shirt with pants.  Just weird.  This place is hard core and not a fashion show but he looks like his is dressed to go to work at Sears.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1812 on: November 04, 2016, 11:00:56 AM »
Trained delts and arms:

Military press 3 x 8 115 to 135lbs
Dumbbell standing press 1 x 10 45lbs( slow full range)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Dumbbell rear laterals 2 x 10 45lbs
Single pulley delt laterals 1 x 10 40lbs
Dumbbell shrugs 2 x 12 90lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (all the way down)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
rope tricep 2 x 12

EZ curl 2 x 10 95lb
machine curls2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lbs ( slow and controlled)

wrist curl 2 x 25 95lbs
hammer rope curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lb pounds
ab wheel 1 x 30

Rotator cuff work with tubing and pulleys.

Gym observations:

Same incredible hot blonde training again. Has to be a figure contestant.  Incredible shape but not overly muscular.

There are a couple of beasts in this gym. On guy is over 325lbs easy. Saw him doing curls once with about 200lbs pounds. Today there was another beast.  The guy trains for only about 45 minutes at a time but he goes all out and fast. He looks about 250lbs.  Does stuff like high rep heavy clean and jerks moving to the bench for no rest for 315lbs for 8 reps and then back to the cleans. It would kill a normal guy.  

This observation is that I drink and eat really bad.  Zero eating discipline and I try to out work my bad diet. Beer and abs don't go together.  

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1813 on: November 04, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
Trained delts and arms:

Military press 3 x 8 115 to 135lbs
Dumbbell standing press 1 x 10 45lbs( slow full range)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Dumbbell rear laterals 2 x 10 45lbs
Single pulley delt laterals 1 x 10 40lbs
Dumbbell shrugs 2 x 12 90lbs

Weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (all the way down)
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
rope tricep 2 x 12

EZ curl 2 x 10 95lb
machine curls2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lbs ( slow and controlled)

wrist curl 2 x 25 95lbs
hammer rope curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 2 x 30 60lb pounds
ab wheel 1 x 30

Rotator cuff work with tubing and pulleys.

Gym observations:

Same incredible hot blonde training again. Has to be a figure contestant.  Incredible shape but not overly muscular.

There are a couple of beasts in this gym. On guy is over 325lbs easy. So him doing curls once with about 200lbs pounds. Today there was another beast.  The guy trains for only about 45 minutes at a time but he goes all out and fast. He looks about 250lbs.  Does stuff like high rep heavy clean and jerks moving to the bench for no rest for 315lbs for 8 reps and then back to the cleans. It would kill a normal guy. 

This observation is that I drink and eat really bad.  Zero eating discipline and I try to out work my bad diet. Beer and abs don't go together. 
rich you train hard some good weights there,,only update i have is training hard ,in great shape 'abs and good vascularity training heavy but form and reps,pretty fast temp 'little rest 4 days a week and a 5th pump day at home every other week..

Charlys69

• Getbig III
« Reply #1814 on: November 05, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
last arm-workout, last Holiday-day in Turkey (Alanya, 1,5 hours southeast of Antalya), 3rd November, 6 PM

Gym "Sportland" at Atatürk street,

16 Minutes Cardio on Ergometer, starting at 80 Watt, working up to 360 Watt, last Minute down to 180 Watt.

Alternate-Sets for Biceps & triceps (Supersets), weights in Kg=2.2 lbs

1a Standard-Barbell curl, emptybar(44 lbs.)x 30, 40kgx20, 60kgx10 (end Warm-ups sets),     70kgx12, 75kgx9,80kgx7
2a Close grip bench-press, 40kgx30reps, 70kgx20, 90x12 (end warm-up sets), 110kgx21, 120kgx15, 125kgx12

seated dumbell curls, incline bench,                  15kgx20, 20kgx15,      25kgx17, 30kgx11
Triceps-extensions over head, cable-station       50kgx25, 75kgx20       100kgx17, 100kgx14

scott-curls, EZ-Bar   30kgx20, 40kgx15     50kgx15, 40kgx22
rope extensions        50kgx25  60kgx25    70kg x 18 60kgx22

53 years, 6 "2", 262 lbs. act.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1815 on: November 05, 2016, 02:26:48 PM »
All my training these last couple of weeks has been leg work and cardio. My son lives on a steep hillside. His house is three stories high. Between traipsing up and down the hill a couple of times a day and climbing the stairs to my room, my legs are feelin' it. Last night we took a tour through Wurzburg for over an hour. Tonight we ate at a relative's restaurant which is three flights up from the parking lot. The loo was a flight down the stairs and in the 3 hours with plenty of wine and cappuccino it meant a few trips back and forth. If I moved here my legs might turn into "Tom Platz" sized legs only longer. LOL!   

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1816 on: November 05, 2016, 07:29:58 PM »
Drank 8 beers yesterday. I have to cut that out cause soon soon I will have keg instead of a six pack.   Sunday is back and chest.  Hope to get back on track. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1817 on: November 07, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »
Back and chest:

Pull ups 3 x max
Low cable row 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell row knee on bench 2 x 10 85lbs
Hammer pulldown 2 x 10

Hammer incline bench 2 x 8 230lbs
Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 70lbs (Shoulder is protesting but I went all the way down)
Flat flies 2 x 10 45lbs
Machine flies 2x10 110lbs
Pushups 1 x max

Deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs  then 1 x 1 315lbs
Weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs

Ab wheel 2 x 23
Machine crunch 2 x 20 80lbs

Finished with rotator cuff tubing exercises. I know they help but I swear I get more relief from my bad shoulder from stretching.

Gym Observations:

Felt weak. Too much alcohol lately and too much stress at work I guess. Felt like I was just drained. Very little pump and felt like I haven't worked out in months.

Heard two power lifter guys talking about their friend hitting a double with 600lbs like it was nothing.

Guy was blasting music so loud out of his Doctor Dre's head set I could hear it 20 feet from him.  His singing out loud was just bizarre.  He was just moaning the song out without any annunciation.  Couldn't make out one one word.  This guy loves to slap the plates on everything. I guess he can't hear what he is doing. He loaded the leg press machine so loud banging the plates on that conversation stopped. Other times I have seen him drop the bar after doing lat pulldowns.

Older woman about 60 years old wanted to use the leg press but the above knuckle head left the plates on. I helped her get the plates off.

A girl comes into the gym looking for a membership. This is a small hard core gym.  It doesn't look pretty but has everything you need.  First question she asks is if he has any exercise classes?  There isn't one inch of this place that doesn't have equipment in it with one place to do deadlifts. I think she is looking for the fancy gym two miles away.

Third sighting of the tall gorgeous blonde. She really works out hard doing super sets and tri sets. The poundage used is nothing but she looks like a really toned fitness model. Facially could pass for being from Sweden maybe. I try not to get  caught checking her out but she really should be on the cover of a magazine.  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1818 on: November 08, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
Ran 4.7 miles today and hit the heavy bag for two three minute rounds. I have to be more consistent with my cardio.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1819 on: November 08, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »
Damn Oldtimer, you are tearing it up. Good for you! You're posts are amazing. Such detail. I have one thing to say....slow and easy. You've had a tendency to overdo the workouts sometimes, If I remember correctly. I'm expecting to live to be 100 and I am expecting you to live to be older than I will be when I finally croak.

Today I was felt up (from the waist up) at the Frankfurt airport security section. What struck me funny was that I was wearing thin, tight fitting tee shirt. Did the security person actually think I could hide something under that? Mind you, I'm down to about 11% body fat so there is nothing but skin, bone and a little bit of muscle to feel under my shirt. What did this fella think? Did he think it was impossible for such an old dude to be so fit that there is no place to hide contraband unless I was wearing a girdle?

Obviously I am a whore for flattery. I'll take all the compliments I can at this point in my life.

In case you were wondering, Donny is doing great. We did a little Facebook instant messaging recently and he seems fine. Don't know if you were worried about him the same as I was, but this should set your mind at ease if you were.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1820 on: November 08, 2016, 07:26:24 PM »
Damn Oldtimer, you are tearing it up. Good for you! You're posts are amazing. Such detail. I have one thing to say....slow and easy. You've had a tendency to overdo the workouts sometimes, If I remember correctly. I'm expecting to live to be 100 and I am expecting you to live to be older than I will be when I finally croak.

Today I was felt up (from the waist up) at the Frankfurt airport security section. What struck me funny was that I was wearing thin, tight fitting tee shirt. Did the security person actually think I could hide something under that? Mind you, I'm down to about 11% body fat so there is nothing but skin, bone and a little bit of muscle to feel under my shirt. What did this fella think? Did he think it was impossible for such an old dude to be so fit that there is no place to hide contraband unless I was wearing a girdle?

Obviously I am a whore for flattery. I'll take all the compliments I can at this point in my life.

In case you were wondering, Donny is doing great. We did a little Facebook instant messaging recently and he seems fine. Don't know if you were worried about him the same as I was, but this should set your mind at ease if you were.
glad all is well,,i miss donny here he was great as well as yourself as great contributors in this thread as well as my personal ones here ...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1821 on: November 09, 2016, 03:46:25 PM »
Good to hear about the Donny update.

Leg day:

Leg Press 2 x 12 4 plates a side (Tried to go really deep)
Squats 2 x 9 225lbs
Machine squat 1 x 10 230lbs (rock bottom)
leg extension 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2 x 15
standing leg curl 2 x 12

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15 85lbs.
hanging leg raise 2 x 20
machine crunch 2 x 25

leg press calf 2 x 25(two plates a side)
standing calf 2 x 15
Seated calf 2 x 15 80lbs

Neck work one set a side.

Gym Observations:

Worked out at home today. Caught my legs walking past a mirror and thought what a guy once said to me. "How do you stand on those skinny legs?" They are still skinny. At least they work.

Operating on 4 hours of sleep.  Lucky that my job was just a half a day today.  Feeling drained.  

The satellite music was pumping in my home gym. The commercial gym I train at the gym owner has a fixation with music from the 70's.  Nothing wrong with that but he never changes the damn channel.  At home I was flipping between 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and other genres.

My home gym is great because I can get away with wearing my torn crappy shorts and an old tee shirt that makes me look homeless.  I noticed at one point my lifting straps were in my car. No one would see me if I ran out to the driveway and grab then.  Then the school bus stops and all the high school kids got out. I looked like a deranged homeless guy with those shorts.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1822 on: November 09, 2016, 03:55:00 PM »
I too have skinny leg syndrome. Despite being dead tired last night, I managed 4 sets of 25 deep squats. My wheels may be slim, but they are cut and vascular. It's all good though since I'm committed now to having more of a fitness build than a bodybuilder's. It also comes easier since it is my genetic bases.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1823 on: November 10, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
I remember when the Short class winner of Mr. Universe in 1975 Wilf Sylvester said he only did 400 reps of no weight free hand squats along with leg extentions/leg curl for the contest.  Never heard of a bodybuilder doing body weight squats for a contest before.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1824 on: November 11, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
Delt and Arms:

Standing Dumbbell press 2 x 10 55lbs (all the way down)
Delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Rear dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10 40lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10 70lbs
Dumbbell shrugs 2 x 10 95lbs

Seated single dumbbell tricep 1 x 10 70lbs ( just not feeling it. At home I have the perfect bench for this)
Dips 1 x 10 25lbs (deep)
Tradition push downs 2 x 12
rope tricep 2 x 10

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8 45lbs
Bar pulley curls 2 x 10
concentration curls 2 x 10 25lbs

forearm wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
rope curls 2 x 10

Ab coaster 2 x 25 60lbs
Machine crunches 2 x 20

Gym Observations:

Stunning blonde I have been talking about lifted up her shirt to show her abs to a guy.  Wow! She caught me looking.

Spanish guy deadlifting didn't know the word for chalk and said something like, " Do you have straight bar white powder."  Amazingly the gym worker knew what he was talking about.

Some big dudes were in the gym today. I'm only 181lbs at 5'8" and these guys dwarf me.

I asked a guy if I could work in with the 45lbs dumbbells and he said no problem.  I guess he doesn't grasp the concept of working in.  He left and never returned to the dumbbells.

The gym owner owns the barber shop next to the gym.  I got a hair cut prior to working out and the hairs down my back were driving me crazy.  

I guess this is somewhat a repeat type post but a personal trainer who is a power lifter thinks all his clients should power lift. A little bizarre. He has all these clueless people concentrating on the powerlifts.

I have a really good home gym if I say so my self.  I just find it fun to get out in public after so many years and lift. Positives and negative reference working out at home and in a commercial gym.  I guess I'm one of the few that can have a great workout at home.