Author Topic: Attention Irish and Scottish Getbiggers  (Read 2107 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Attention Irish and Scottish Getbiggers
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:57:19 AM »
I've recently rediscovered my fascination with Gaelic and am trying to get a good handle on the differences between current Scottish Gaelic as it compares to the more well-known (in the U.S.) standard Irish Gaelic. To be sure, I can barely make out any of it, but I am fascinated.

And WTF is going on with Welsh?

BB-related because Ro is Irish and BigMC is Scottish (I think).

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
Re: Attention Irish and Scottish Getbiggers
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:51 AM »

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 05:28:39 AM »

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:37:58 AM »
I've recently rediscovered my fascination with Gaelic and am trying to get a good handle on the differences between current Scottish Gaelic as it compares to the more well-known (in the U.S.) standard Irish Gaelic. To be sure, I can barely make out any of it, but I am fascinated.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 05:54:34 AM »
Garlic has been used as both food and medicine for thousands of years, dating back to when the Egyptian pyramids were built. In early 18th century France, gravediggers drank crushed garlic in wine believing it would protect them from the plague. During both World Wars I and II, soldiers were given garlic to prevent gangrene. It was also used as an antiseptic, applied to wounds to prevent infection.

Today garlic is used to help prevent heart disease, including atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries (plaque buildup in the arteries that can block the flow of blood and may lead to heart attack or stroke), high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and to boost the immune system. Eating garlic regularly may also help protect against cancer.

Garlic is rich in antioxidants. In your body, harmful particles called free radicals build up as you age and may contribute to heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease. Antioxidants like those found in garlic fight off free radicals, and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage they cause over time.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58:20 AM »

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 06:42:52 AM »
There are only slight differences between Irish and Scottish Gaelic as far as I know. Welsh native tongue is quite different though.

I went to school across the border in the so called UK so there was not a heavy emphasis on learning it. I only know a few words.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »
My only input in this thread is that from experience...Scottish girls are much better in bed.
S

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 08:11:48 AM »
Gaeilge would be the proper term. Welsh is just a completely different language. What do you want to know? I have very good Irish and some of my family are fully fluent and speak it daily.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 08:43:17 AM »

they are very similar

spoken slightly different

both about as useful as the anabolic window
T

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
Gaeilge would be the proper term. Welsh is just a completely different language. What do you want to know? I have very good Irish and some of my family are fully fluent and speak it daily.

Are there enormous differences in modern Scottish and modern Irish Gaelic? Can they communicate?

Full disclosure: I've been watching some show on Starz called "Outlander" (it's really good, best sex on TV) about the 18th century Scottish Highlands. A lot of it is in Gaelic. My wife is Irish descent and knows a bit of Irish and she says its "different". Of course, I don't know who is writing the lines in Gaelic and are they using proper period/geolocation specific Gaelic dialects? I have no fucking clue.

I've always found Irish Gaelic to be hilarious in that every damn word is pronounced differently than it is spelled (from an English speaker's perspective).

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »
they are very similar

spoken slightly different

both about as useful as the anabolic window

Finally, the guy that I knew would have the answer chimes in. Thanks.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
The Welsh are not to be trusted.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 10:23:21 AM »
Racist post reported. Black lives matter too.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
Are there enormous differences in modern Scottish and modern Irish Gaelic? Can they communicate?

Full disclosure: I've been watching some show on Starz called "Outlander" (it's really good, best sex on TV) about the 18th century Scottish Highlands. A lot of it is in Gaelic. My wife is Irish descent and knows a bit of Irish and she says its "different". Of course, I don't know who is writing the lines in Gaelic and are they using proper period/geolocation specific Gaelic dialects? I have no fucking clue.

I've always found Irish Gaelic to be hilarious in that every damn word is pronounced differently than it is spelled (from an English speaker's perspective).

Outlander is an outstanding show, really enjoyed it. Next season not until 2016 :(

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »
Let's delve into this a bit further. Why do some racists not consider Scots and Irish white people, is it the different language tree?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »

I assumed that "gaylick" was something schmoes did to a g4p bodybuilder's quivering anus?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 01:28:36 PM »
Let's delve into this a bit further. Why do some racists not consider Scots and Irish white people, is it the different language tree?

Lower class of white people.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 01:54:08 PM »
We don't speak gaelic in Ireland we speak English but a lot of us in the south anyway can speak it

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
Lower class of white people.

How so? Just curious as to why. Being of Anglo Teutonic stock, I can't say I am not a bit ethnocentric though.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 02:16:04 PM »
How so? Just curious as to why. Being of Anglo Teutonic stock, I can't say I am not a bit ethnocentric though.

All I know is that in the U.S. back 100 years ago or less, Irish were pretty much the Mexicans of today.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 02:23:04 PM »
Queen Elizabeth Roman salute  ;D

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 02:23:38 PM »
All I know is that in the U.S. back 100 years ago or less, Irish were pretty much the Mexicans of today.
What did that make the Mexicans?

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »
What did that make the Mexicans?

Back then the Mexicans stayed in Mexico.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2015, 03:16:14 AM »
my Mother spoke Gaelic but i was too lazy to learn it as a kid...could kick myself now though ::)