Author Topic: Rich Piana's 5% appeal  (Read 26477 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Rich Piana's 5% appeal
« on: July 21, 2015, 08:58:38 AM »
I have to give props to Rich Piana for tapping into the real niche market of younger male gym goers.
Back when I was young meathead, Wieder used bodybuilders and the southern Cal beach lifestyle to sell his products.
We all dreamed of moving to Venice beach and pumping iron with Arnold and the gang at Gold's.
Yup, we bought every issue of Muscle Builder and Power . We purchased as much Wieder Wt Gainer and protein tabs as we could afford. We trained in iron dungeons and dreamed of being on the Olympia stage posing down with Arnold.

Rich Piana is a big bodybuilder with larger then life persona. While he never developed a great contest physique he has evolved into an entertaining bodybuilding character. Thanks to the meteoric rise in social networking, the old world of bodybuilding has passed away,  along with our beloved Ben and Joe Wieder. When I started bodybuilding, we had to call  Venice Beach Gold's gym, the week after the Olympia to find out who won. The magazines featured the top contest bodybuilders and were the main source of bodybuilding news . Social media and the internet changed all that, forever.

The real $$ and fame in bodybuilding today isn't gained from winning contests.
It comes from creating an image and lifestyle that others identify with .
The "5%" image Rich has marketed taps into the desires of younger male gym rats.
From rapper to rockers, being a  bad ass has appeal for lots of young dudes.
What young male doesn't want a lifestyle of sexy babes , fast cars and saying Fuk U to society at large.

Rich's 5% thing is an image and personal IDENTITY for young guys .
It's no different then the Goth dress ; biker tattoos, denim and leather or Hip Hop baggy pants and backwards caps.
It's a mini version of sex, drugs and rock n' roll.
I gotta give Rich credit for using his charisma and social networking to promote this 5% badass image.

I doubt too many younger dudes in the gym would find my current lifestyle too appealing.
Having a basic career, no drugs or drinking  and only screwing my wife would seem quite boring to the younger folks.
30-40 yrs ago, the young Howard might relate more the 5%'rs  then my current  lifestyle. LOL

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
Re: Rich Piana's 5% appeal
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:55 AM »
5% brain capacity used

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »
5% real muscle

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »
95% creepy thread.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:37 AM »
Is he still alive?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:25:24 AM »
denim and leather

Amazing record...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:19:44 AM »
I have to give props to Rich Piana for tapping into the real niche market of younger male gym goers.
Back when I was young meathead, Wieder used bodybuilders and the southern Cal beach lifestyle to sell his products.
We all dreamed of moving to Venice beach and pumping iron with Arnold and the gang at Gold's.
Yup, we bought every issue of Muscle Builder and Power . We purchased as much Wieder Wt Gainer and protein tabs as we could afford. We trained in iron dungeons and dreamed of being on the Olympia stage posing down with Arnold.

Rich Piana is a big bodybuilder with larger then life persona. While he never developed a great contest physique he has evolved into an entertaining bodybuilding character. Thanks to the meteoric rise in social networking, the old world of bodybuilding has passed away,  along with our beloved Ben and Joe Wieder. When I started bodybuilding, we had to call  Venice Beach Gold's gym, the week after the Olympia to find out who won. The magazines featured the top contest bodybuilders and were the main source of bodybuilding news . Social media and the internet changed all that, forever.

The real $$ and fame in bodybuilding today isn't gained from winning contests.
It comes from creating an image and lifestyle that others identify with .
The "5%" image Rich has marketed taps into the desires of younger male gym rats.
From rapper to rockers, being a  bad ass has appeal for lots of young dudes.
What young male doesn't want a lifestyle of sexy babes , fast cars and saying Fuk U to society at large.

Rich's 5% thing is an image and personal IDENTITY for young guys .
It's no different then the Goth dress ; biker tattoos, denim and leather or Hip Hop baggy pants and backwards caps.
It's a mini version of sex, drugs and rock n' roll.
I gotta give Rich credit for using his charisma and social networking to promote this 5% badass image.

I doubt too many younger dudes in the gym would find my current lifestyle too appealing.
Having a basic career, no drugs or drinking  and only screwing my wife would seem quite boring to the younger folks.
30-40 yrs ago, the young Howard might relate more the 5%'rs  then my current  lifestyle. LOL

My business coach and I were talking about this last week. While he may make money now, it's going to be short lived. He's put himself in the position that he can't undo, meaning his body image. He's going to have to find a way to maintain that as he gets older which is next to impossible. His company and him and a couple of years left at best.

In contrast, take Shredz' Joey Swoll. Makes a ton of money, has a good look that can be maintained for years to come and a solid business and plan.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
My business coach and I were talking about this last week. While he may make money now, it's going to be short lived. He's put himself in the position that he can't undo, meaning his body image. He's going to have to find a way to maintain that as he gets older which is next to impossible. His company and him and a couple of years left at best.

In contrast, take Shredz' Joey Swoll. Makes a ton of money, has a good look that can be maintained for years to come and a solid business and plan.

May we suggest a hole in the wall gym and bunk gear? That's good for  $50,000 a month :-\

THE BEEF

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:21:44 AM »
May we suggest a hole in the wall gym? That's good for  $50,000 a month :-\

THE BEEF

At least

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:22:43 AM »
95% creepy thread.

I guess it  lacks the extra 5%?

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 11:26:57 AM »
I guess it  lacks the extra 5%?
:)
Howard  step up your effort. I know you have that extra 15% to give 110% creepiness factor.

Don't sell us short.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »

I disagree and I'll briefly explain why.

He's naturally a big guy with a wide structure. His persona is what sells more then his physique.
Rich is more WWE type character then serious bodybuilder
He doesn't compete now and can remain a permabulker for many years .

Plus, the whole 5% thing is an image and rebel, bad ass lifestyle.
Unlike some pro BB, his brand isn't based on how impressive HE looks.
He appears creative enough to tweek and spin this thing for many years via social media use.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 11:29:08 AM »

Not much news from Joey lately, maybe we can get an update.

He's naturally a big guy with a wide structure. His persona is what sells more then his physique.

He appears creative enough to tweek and spin this thing for many years via social media use.

He was born in 1971 according to Google, making him about 45 now.  I give his liver and kidneys another three years tops.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
This is all I get from Rich Piano vids:

"F***in went to the f***in gym for a f***in chest workout.  When we finally f***in got there the f***in place was f***in packed with a f***in buncha a f***in  non-f***in -5%rs.  So my f***in  crew cleared the f***in  place out in 5 f***in  minutes and then f***in hit our f***in  chests with every f***in  thing we f***in  had in our f***in  bodies for six f***in hours!!"

I completely understand why today's 20-somethin, unwashed degenerates love him.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »
Howard  step up your effort. I know you have that extra 15% to give 110% creepiness factor.

Don't sell us short.

Ok, you asked for it.

Now imagine entering your gym locker room and seeing me, naked , bending over , by my locker.
I stand back up, wink at you and say ; " Hmmm, checking out my glutes and hams 'eh?"

THAT should put me over the 100% creep mark and make getbiggers fear entering their local gym locker room.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »
Not much news from Joey lately, maybe we can get an update.

He was born in 1971 according to Google, making him about 45 now.  I give his liver and kidneys another three years tops.

I don't really know I only hear from my step-son who works for an apparel co that works with Shredz and has met him a few times on some shoots. I know he's big, seems to be humble with a good business mind. Last I heard Google is trying to buy the code, formula or whatever thats making his social media so successful.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 11:37:44 AM »
1. Close your eyes and relax.
2. Now picture me  as best you can.
3. Now imagine entering your gym locker room and seeing me, naked , bending over , by my locker.
I stand back up, wink at you and say ; " Hmmm, checking out my glutes and hams 'eh?"

.....go on

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015, 11:38:59 AM »

X2

Rich's image is like Beats ear phones, style has a shelf life, unless you trend it younger.

I'm sure he will figure something  out, get younger dudes in his videos and sups (like hanging out with the blonde chick)or sell his "company" to another established or upstart snake oil looking to make an impact.

Worst case he will put his younger head on Robbie Robinsons body.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »
.....go on

The Mayor of BB enters and the three of us head to the sauna with nothing but white towels and a grapefruit.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
I don't really know I only hear from my step-son who works for an apparel co that works with Shredz and has met him a few times on some shoots. I know he's big, seems to be humble with a good business mind. Last I heard Google is trying to buy the code, formula or whatever thats making his social media so successful.

Coach.........

Google can't figure out how Shredz  has a staffer using instagram who is liking photos and using hashtags?

This sounds like a Goodrum  line.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
Your fascination with Piana is disturbing.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2015, 11:48:49 AM »
Coach.........

Google can't figure out how Shredz  has a staffer using instagram who is liking photos and using hashtags?

This sounds like a Goodrum  line.

if it was that simple everyone would be making big money. He (the company) just happens to REALLY big money. Paige Hathaway is making over the 1/2 mil dollar mark if that says anything.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »

Joey facilitated one of the great threads in Getbig history where he produced a photo of himself literally eating the whore-pussy of his rival's wife, then a third random getbigger who had also fucked her appeared :D

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »

Coach. With all due respect.

The internet has changed everything. You have to make your money NOW. You can build all the long term systems you want but technology will blow your ass away before you ever get your investment back going that way.

Will live in a different planet now and things are changing in the blink of an eye. You have to worry about tomorrow tomorrow and make the adjustments then. Of course, keep what I'm saying in context. I not saying to do stupid things.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »
This is all I get from Rich Piano vids:

"F***in went to the f***in gym for a f***in chest workout.  When we finally f***in got there the f***in place was f***in packed with a f***in buncha a f***in  non-f***in -5%rs.  So my f***in  crew cleared the f***in  place out in 5 f***in  minutes and then f***in hit our f***in  chests with every f***in  thing we f***in  had in our f***in  bodies for six f***in hours!!"

I completely understand why today's 20-somethin, unwashed degenerates love him.

He can talk reasonably well on various subjects but he's awfully childish and ridiculously vain. Have you seen the video where he talks about being able to tell lots about someone if they wear Nike sneakers instead of Adidas and how if you drive with one hand on the steering wheel it means you're really cool?! The guy seems to have the mind-set of a pretentious 12 year old.

Add his taste for contact lenses and crappy tattoos that he attaches lame meaning to and you have a sad, pathetically fragile ego.