Author Topic: Rain catchment?  (Read 13478 times)

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
Rain catchment?
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »
Anyone use any form of rain catchment system in or around the house?  For interior or irrigation purposes?  Bah!

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
Re: Rain catchment?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:27 PM »
Do you have Air Conditioning?   A central air conditioning system in Houston will fill that barrel with water in a single day.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:30:04 AM »
Do you have Air Conditioning?   A central air conditioning system in Houston will fill that barrel with water in a single day.

The a/c system currently in use does not produce much water that can be captured.  I am interested in a relatively simple rain catcher to store 50-100 gallons of water.  If it is portable even better; the various bigger modular systems, like the one pictured is interesting but does not meet the current need.  Bah!

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:13:37 AM »
Rain capture systems by nature are not portable.  You need a roof and gutter system to gather the water from a wide area.  Think of it as a huge funnel.

Skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »
I have two rain barrels that collect water from my house similar to the one in the picture. I also want to add a third for my garage.

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:36:53 AM »
Taking delivery of my first barrel this weekend... and will set it up.  Will probably buy a couple more once I get the first one installed.

One never hears much about rain catchment in places like California.  With all the talk of heavy rains from the coming El Nino elaborate versions of this stuff should be the norm out there.  A few years ago, catchment systems became very popular in Atlanta and surrounding cities as Georgia was going through a drought, but it seems to have fallen off the radar since then.  

There are lots of rain catchment vids on youtube.  Bah!

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:23:42 PM »

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 10:34:16 PM »
Nonsense.
I fill the tub with bottles of avian water!
?